We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

5 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I feel like instead of going into campus everyday, I could just stick a cardboard cutout in my office chair that says things like "I don't understand" and "can you explain that to me?" 

Lol but that might then lead people to look for you and if that happens somehow you'll end up with more work.  Blech no more work!

Dude I want that sundae. Honestly I'm happy I never have to deal with my incompetent group members ever again. They aren't in my program but took this class as an elective for their program. No idea what grade I'm going to get on this project though....

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Dude I want that sundae. Honestly I'm happy I never have to deal with my incompetent group members ever again. They aren't in my program but took this class as an elective for their program. No idea what grade I'm going to get on this project though....

Make sure they aren't taking any other electives that happen to be required for you :)

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hooray for being done soon! I'm done next Monday. I wish we all lived nearby so we could grab some ice cream or something - the place near me just released an apple crisp sundae, and it's as amazing as it sounds :D

You know what I bet enough of us live within a day's drive of each other that we really could do that.  I mean why not?  We could coordinate our schedules for a summer or not so family oriented holiday get together when we're all free.  Hmmm.......

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

You should ask them if they'll be taking any other classes in your department and if so you can just adjust your schedule to avoid them.

Particularly when she has not participated in any of it herself and leaves up everything to her TAs, who aren't the most professional... I mean i understand why we have group projects in our field because everything is a team effort in museums. I'm still annoyed by it ha. @MarineBluePsy Yeah I could but Tuesday is our last class and its an exam day. So it might be awkward. Plus I don't want them to have that much influence over my studies. At least I'll know what to expect from them and adjust accordingly.

All my life I've been pretty good about not procrastinating... unfortunately, that means that I never learned the lesson of why I shouldn't procrastinate. Now this lab report is due in 10 hours, my data is horrible and the semester is over so I can't access the lab anymore, and my lab report isn't even close to being done :( The worst part is that it's all self-inflicted, so I can't even complain about anything else besides my own incompetency!

So I'm making a list of possible shows to binge watch and I can't think of any funny ones.  I need funny otherwise winter break will suck.  Funny shows I currently dig include:  Difficult People; The Big Bang Theory; Life in Pieces; and Bob's Burgers.  I'm not a fan of British humor and have no preference for old or new shows.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  How about I hit the road and we go have a drink when I get there?  That is awful and I'm surprised your lab is actually closed.  I didn't think Universities closed all offices/departments until the week of Xmas.

4 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

So I'm making a list of possible shows to binge watch and I can't think of any funny ones.  I need funny otherwise winter break will suck.  Funny shows I currently dig include:  Difficult People; The Big Bang Theory; Life in Pieces; and Bob's Burgers.  I'm not a fan of British humor and have no preference for old or new shows.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  How about I hit the road and we go have a drink when I get there?  That is awful and I'm surprised your lab is actually closed.  I didn't think Universities closed all offices/departments until the week of Xmas.

Oh, it's actually a class - not lab lab. Also, have you seen How I Met Your Mother? 

13 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Oh, it's actually a class - not lab lab. Also, have you seen How I Met Your Mother? 

Well its still weird that you can't access the lab.  I have seen that show and even though by episode 3 I completed loathed Robin and Ted I watched it until the very end.  That season finale angered me almost as much as the Gilmore Girls reboot finale.

These long days are getting to me. I've been pulling 12-15 hour days regularly and today I stayed late for a group project meeting which ended up getting cancelled anyway and then I had to go to the store and get my weekly shop and now I'm cooking dinner which is the first thing I've eaten since 11am and I'm so hungry I'm actually faint and I realized  I need my glasses full time right now and I just need sleep.

Sorry, stream of (sub)consciousness. 

On 12/4/2016 at 9:50 AM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

When is everyone finished for their first semester? Mine ends this upcoming week. Wow time flew by really fast. I have one more paper to complete and an exam this Tuesday.

I only have one paper left (due next Monday). Hooray! 

13 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

All my life I've been pretty good about not procrastinating... unfortunately, that means that I never learned the lesson of why I shouldn't procrastinate. Now this lab report is due in 10 hours, my data is horrible and the semester is over so I can't access the lab anymore, and my lab report isn't even close to being done :( The worst part is that it's all self-inflicted, so I can't even complain about anything else besides my own incompetency!

Sorry to hear that. :( I hope everything goes okay!

5 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I sort of want to binge The Man in the High Castle. :) 

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

These long days are getting to me. I've been pulling 12-15 hour days regularly and today I stayed late for a group project meeting which ended up getting cancelled anyway and then I had to go to the store and get my weekly shop and now I'm cooking dinner which is the first thing I've eaten since 11am and I'm so hungry I'm actually faint and I realized  I need my glasses full time right now and I just need sleep.

Sorry, stream of (sub)consciousness. 

It's okay! I hope at least it's a good dinner. :) How much longer do you have until break?

On 11/23/2016 at 8:39 PM, Neist said:

In the continuing drama of me trying to get ahead this holiday break, I've attempted to write an entire book review today (about the aforementioned read book).

Whoever decided to assign a 1500 word book review can eat a shoe. No book review should be that long. I say if you can't articulate the quality of a book in the length of an abstract, you need to try harder.

My day started 10 hours ago, and I think I'm going to retire for the evening. Not done, but eh well.

This was so many pages ago already, but omg- I feel this so hard. I got my first publication, yay, sure. It was a giant book review- about 4 pages single spaced. It was entirely unnecessary. Wanted to scoop my eyes out with spoons by the end.

8 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

This was so many pages ago already, but omg- I feel this so hard. I got my first publication, yay, sure. It was a giant book review- about 4 pages single spaced. It was entirely unnecessary. Wanted to scoop my eyes out with spoons by the end.

Lol. I know, right? :D I personally know that I would never want to read a book review that large, and to be honest, if a person can't write a worthwhile summary in 500-750 words, they need to work on their writing.

33 minutes ago, Neist said:

I only have one paper left (due next Monday). Hooray! 

Sorry to hear that. :( I hope everything goes okay!

It's okay! I hope at least it's a good dinner. :) How much longer do you have until break?

Finals finish a week Friday, but then my advisor asked that I be around until December 23rd and back between Xmas and New Years and then back on the 2nd so it's not so much of a break! But my gosh it's needed.

So good to still see a bunch of you loitering around on here - I love hearing how your semesters are going! 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Finals finish a week Friday, but then my advisor asked that I be around until December 23rd and back between Xmas and New Years and then back on the 2nd so it's not so much of a break! But my gosh it's needed.

So good to still see a bunch of you loitering around on here - I love hearing how your semesters are going! 

Ummmm you know you can say no right?  Yes graduate school is about making sacrifices, being a team player, sucking it up through grunt work, etc but it is also about learning how to establish and insist on healthy boundaries.  If you don't negotiate a proper amount of time of to do whatever you need or want to do away from campus you'll burn out.

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Hmmm seems interesting, but my list of serious shows is full and I definitely need a funny to watch before bed or I'll be up all night lol.

3 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

December 23rd? You deserve more of a break than that!

See I had the opposite problem with my annotated bib. Some people were saying you should only have 3-4 sentences. Um no. If he wants details about the paper and not "vague general things" on top of a summary about the citation, its going to be more than 3 sentences lol. I'm not getting much of a break either. I'm working the following weeks up to christmas and then going back on monday. I need money ha.