We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

@Neist Tbh I feel like that bowling for soup song about high school is very relevant lol. I also think mental stamina can be built. I know that I started early because I used books for my speech therapy. You guys can do it! You guys should treat yourselves afterwards!

29 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Ugh...My friends and I are all on our last legs, my bestie is actually passed out next to me on my couch right now as part of our study session. We've got this people!

47 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

WE'RE IN THE HOME STRETCH, FOLKS

I've got one paper left and I'm so tired that I keep passing out in my house at weird hours. Almost there! We can do it!

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Last final tomorrow at 7PM. Only need a 30% to pass the class, but then again I got a 36% on the midterm that covered "basic fundamental concepts" :(

Well then that means you have 6% of leeway :D  You'll be fine!

6 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny It's due Tuesday at noon! Research is done, I just have to write the thing. I took a break today to make shortbread and go for a run, and I'm about to hunker down again. 

Ummm you should probably sleep too.  Passing out around the house isn't good.

This is the last week of the semester so its technically finals.  It's a presentation instead of an exam tomorrow, but still a drag.  Just seems weird.  In undergrad I had class until a couple of days before Xmas so being done sooner is completely foreign.

32 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

December and didn't go back till mid January so I'm on the same schedule ha. Its a nice break but seems excessive too short to do all of the reading/research I have planned.

FTFY. ;)

I'm done. I'm just refreshing my screen to see my grades trickle in. I feel like I've set myself up for success this term by going above the requirements in my courses...but even though I participated heavily in every class and turned in the requisite papers, I feel like there's always going to be a curve ball grade submitted. Ugh. I do feel like I've been really productive this term though, so there's that. I applied to/got accepted to a language program over the summer, submitted a fellowship application to fund said program, drafted an abstract that was accepted for a conference this spring, and serve on the GSA...I capped off the term with a lovely bout of bronchitis, so it's trashy tv and internet surfing today and tomorrow. Not hating it. 

17 minutes ago, nevermind said:

FTFY. ;)

I'm done. I'm just refreshing my screen to see my grades trickle in. I feel like I've set myself up for success this term by going above the requirements in my courses...but even though I participated heavily in every class and turned in the requisite papers, I feel like there's always going to be a curve ball grade submitted. Ugh. I do feel like I've been really productive this term though, so there's that. I applied to/got accepted to a language program over the summer, submitted a fellowship application to fund said program, drafted an abstract that was accepted for a conference this spring, and serve on the GSA...I capped off the term with a lovely bout of bronchitis, so it's trashy tv and internet surfing today and tomorrow. Not hating it. 

I feel as if grading in history courses is somewhat nebulous. I feel as if I did well, but who knows? Sometimes I get papers back with comments and nothing else (i.e., no grade).

11 minutes ago, Neist said:

I feel as if grading in history courses is somewhat nebulous. I feel as if I did well, but who knows? Sometimes I get papers back with comments and nothing else (i.e., no grade).

Yeah. I think it's hard when your grade basically depends on your finals paper. Even though grades aren't "supposed" to matter in grad school, I think most people still want to do well. 

23 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Yeah. I think it's hard when your grade basically depends on your finals paper. Even though grades aren't "supposed" to matter in grad school, I think most people still want to do well. 

I've more or less tossed my hands into the air at this point. As long as I maintain a B average, I should be fine. And there's no indication that I'll receive anything lower than that.

The fact that I have a predictable career path after my degrees, regardless of my grades, certainly helps matters. I'm increasingly convinced that I want to work in libraries, and libraries couldn't care less what my grades are. Experience is really more key in libraries.

@Neist I also feel the same way. I'm not going into academia, I want to eventually work in a science museum/center, national/state park, or a library. I kinda feel like I have a professional mindset, instead of an intellectual mindset when it comes to grad school. I'm mainly here so I can earn more money/make myself look more attractive to employers. But I'm also refreshing my portal to see if my grades have been uploaded yet ha.

Joining in on the grades debate, as long as I keep my funding I don't care. My masters was the grades focused aspect for me, whereas now research really is my focus. I started writing an abstract today - the submission opens January 11th/15th I can't remember but it's my vacay work. I think as long as you have a good work ethic and don't procrastinate to detrimental ends then grad school classes are doable. What I've noticed is the juggling act to maintain good grades in classes, make progress in research, do TA/GA/job duties, have a semblance of a social life and maintain some level of health & physical activity is what discerns the grad students in my program. Those who are used to juggling many things seem to cope a lot better than those who coasted through undergrad playing video games. It's really interesting - those students who've had to work hard to make things click seem to be the better grad students, in my observations anyway.

I think its because I'm in a masters program, grades have a lot more weight than PhD programs. One thing I'm nervous about is finding grants/scholarships that I have a chance of getting them, liking them, and actually finding them. I've been either under qualified, the deadline has pass, or nothing is standing out. I have to apply to one since its a requirement for my fellowship. I found two I like but they are ALA (American Library Association). I want to work in libraries to so I emailed to see if I can qualify. No AAM scholarships have pop yet...

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny What happens now? I'm sorry about your class!

@hippyscientist I admire that you are actually going through a PhD. I know I lack the stamina needed for one. Plus I find what you do pretty cool.

11 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Nothing really happens for me, which is fortunate - there isn't a grade requirement or anything. Just... ugh

Ah well that's good you won't be placed on probation! But I know what you mean. You should treat yourself and hopefully there aren't anymore giant ass spiders running around your place