We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

This is a dumb question and the answer is likely "no", but is it something you could bring up to the prof? A lot of profs (especially in grad school hopefully!) would be very understanding of this. Or maybe it's a presentation style, where you could show off your knowledge while everyone else doesn't know the material?

The thing is we all work in the same lab, the prof for the class doesn't care as long as the work is done, and we've already given the presentation (where we got penalized as a group because some of them were clearly unprepared). Just ranting on here. It's the frustrating thorne in an otherwise excellent semester. Thanks for the advice though :D 

52 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm going to agree with this. Had I known, I might not have chosen to go to grad school. That being said, now that my first semester is over, I'm realizing that despite everything I'd still rather be in grad school than working a job. Maybe the same will be true for you once you take a well-deserved break!

To be honest, I feel like a lot of graduate students feel this. I've talked to a few people who told me that they might have not come if they knew what it was going to be like, but now that they are here, they'll probably stick it out.

Anyone else feel like there should be a little bit better transition to graduate school? I don't know about other disciplines, but history as a graduate student really is different than history as an undergraduate. I'm a super nerd, so I'm buried in it anyway, but I feel like it's a bit harsh of a jump for a lot of people.

Edited by Neist
Typo.

4 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Also, @MarineBluePsy can I ask what you mean by "behind the scenes" stuff? 

I mean all the dirty secrets people hide when the goal is to entice new people to come aboard.  Like the catty behavior, the backstabbing, the pettiness, the mean girls (there aren't many guys in Psych, so not trying to sound sexist), the drama, the gossiping about peoples personal problems, the immaturity, professors that have great reputations in research but turn out to be really shitty teachers, the fake friendliness and unwillingness to be the least bit helpful even when its their damn job, etc.  And I'm not saying this kind of stuff doesn't occur in the workplace because it can, it has just been my experience that it is a lot easier to find someone with loose lips to share that sort of thing when you're still weighing your options.  Yet in grad school it seems that the students or faculty that are likely to share this type of information are conveniently not available or rarely available during the interview process or when you're considering which acceptance to go with.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm going to agree with this. Had I known, I might not have chosen to go to grad school. That being said, now that my first semester is over, I'm realizing that despite everything I'd still rather be in grad school than working a job. Maybe the same will be true for you once you take a well-deserved break!

Kind of bummed out right now, our research requires cardiac cells that we can only get once every few months... we got a new batch yesterday, and by the time we were ready to use them, they were all dead :(

I would definitely have still done a PhD, I would just have gone with a different program.  Dead cells doesn't sound fun.  Will it take long to get new ones?

14 minutes ago, Neist said:

Anyone else feel like there should be a little bit better transition to graduate school? I don't know about other disciplines, but history as a graduate student really is different than history as an undergraduate. I'm a super nerd, so I'm buried in it anyway, but I feel like it's a bit harsh of a jump for a lot of people.

I think I was well prepared in terms of knowing how to multitask, not procrastinate, reading a ton, and good self care skills.  I don't know how I could have been more prepared for being constantly forced to spend time with people I can't stand.  Part of what I can't stand about them (and I mean students and faculty) is their inability to see past academia because they've never ventured out of that bubble.  For some of them that's just being young and I get that they'll learn in time, but for others there is no excuse for that level of cluelessness or flat out refusal to accept that the rest of the world doesn't function like academia.  

25 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I think I was well prepared in terms of knowing how to multitask, not procrastinate, reading a ton, and good self care skills.  I don't know how I could have been more prepared for being constantly forced to spend time with people I can't stand.  Part of what I can't stand about them (and I mean students and faculty) is their inability to see past academia because they've never ventured out of that bubble.  For some of them that's just being young and I get that they'll learn in time, but for others there is no excuse for that level of cluelessness or flat out refusal to accept that the rest of the world doesn't function like academia.  

Are you in a lab where you're forced to spend time with these people? That would be rough. When I'm in class/on campus, I think of it as work. I go in, I'm nice to people, I get what I need from professors/library/etc., and then I do the bulk of the work at my apartment. I honestly don't know any of the drama going on in my department (which is a big department so I'm sure drama exists) because I don't really attend the social events (e.g. bar hopping) that happen every weekend. I choose to spend my weekend doing some work but also achieving a life/work balance by going hiking, climbing, hanging out with my boyfriend, etc. I think there's a lot of work that goes into creating that kind of conscious separation (conscious uncoupling?) since academia is so "networking" heavy, but it's doable. You just have to learn to say "no" a lot in order to preserve your own sanity. I'm also very lucky that many faculty I work with have come to academia later in life, so they're very much aware that life exists outside the Ivory Tower. 

Edited by nevermind

5 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

No I'm certain grad school is the right move for me since it is the only way to access the career I want and I am certain of my career choice.  I also tested the waters in a Master's program to make sure I really wanted to do all the work and wasn't feeling like I had to.  I was on a solid career path with just my Master's, but I knew I wasn't going to be happy just with that.  Now in a doctoral program the work itself isn't the problem, it is all of the stuff behind the scenes that wasn't revealed until I got here.  I understand that no matter what program (or job, relationship, etc) you pick there will always be stuff behind the scenes because everyone is putting on the best show to lure you in.  We just have to hope that we can handle whatever lurks behind the curtains and that doing so makes the end result worth it.  So sure I'll have my degree and access to the career I want in the end, but if the behind the scenes remains this awful I'm not sure it will have been worth it. 

Ah that makes sense, well i wish you patience and luck! Also I understand what you mean "behind the scenes". People are blah.

@hippyscientist I know how you feel, my group project was a nightmare. I hope yours works out better than mine did.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I'm only in grad school so I can have the MA on my resume. I already have 4 years in museums so I kinda hit my ceiling without an advance degree. Maybe get an MA instead of a PhD if you feel this way for an extended period of time? I'm doing this to be competitive in the market 

My department doesn't even have a masters program. But I'm pretty confident that I'd like to stick it out. A lot of the problems that @MarineBluePsy is facing are things that I haven't really noticed around here which is great. As far as interpersonal relationships in this department go, of course there are people that rub me the wrong way (way too many people who act like they know everything... even though they sometimes do, and a lot of pretentious buttholes) but unlike undergrad, there are no really lazy people who complain about everything, limited drama/gossip and whatnot. I really appreciate it. Plus, you just can't beat the flexibility of being a grad student :)

Welp then nvm my suggestion lol. I'm in the mindset of getting in and out as quickly as possible. Idk if I like flexibility, I'm definitely a 9-5 kind of person. I don't want to have to think about work during my off time. I'm in the mindset of I work to live, instead of the live to work. Tbh I've only had drama with one particular person but I'm hoping to avoid her for the rest of my time here.

Yall. I took my final on Tuesday and drove home on Wednesday. 12 HOURS!! The semester was okay. I've given myself a few pep talks and am cool with whatever grades I get as long as I keep funding. But it feels great to be away from school and with my parents and dog. 

Are any of you still doing work over the break or just relaxing and prepping for next semester? I'm using this as literature review and data analysis time.

11 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

Yall. I took my final on Tuesday and drove home on Wednesday. 12 HOURS!! The semester was okay. I've given myself a few pep talks and am cool with whatever grades I get as long as I keep funding. But it feels great to be away from school and with my parents and dog. 

Are any of you still doing work over the break or just relaxing and prepping for next semester? I'm using this as literature review and data analysis time.

I'm still working over break, I need that money ha. But its only 15 hr a week so its not bad. I'm also going to be reading a lot but I like reading.

13 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I'm only in grad school so I can have the MA on my resume. I already have 4 years in museums so I kinda hit my ceiling without an advance degree. Maybe get an MA instead of a PhD if you feel this way for an extended period of time? I'm doing this to be competitive in the market 

I feel the same. I have 10+ years in academic libraries as full time staff (3 more as a student), 9 years of which was in management. 

I'm sure it's the same way in museums, but in libraries, you nearly always need the masters degree to move forward. It's a necessary bullet point on your CV. 

Don't get me wrong, my library classes are interesting, but I feel like they are more continuing education than necessary education, if that makes any sense.

10 minutes ago, Neist said:

I feel the same. I have 10+ years in academic libraries as full time staff (3 more as a student), 9 years of which was in management. 

I'm sure it's the same way in museums, but in libraries, you nearly always need the masters degree to move forward. It's a necessary bullet point on your CV. 

Don't get me wrong, my library classes are interesting, but I feel like they are more continuing education than necessary education, if that makes any sense.

Its exactly like that. If I didn't a masters I would be stuck at $10 and part time employment. I'm glad we can relate! I've learned some interesting things but nothing mind blowing. I feel like my electives, the museum education class, and law class will be the most helpful/useful.

20 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Its exactly like that. If I didn't a masters I would be stuck at $10 and part time employment. I'm glad we can relate! I've learned some interesting things but nothing mind blowing. I feel like my electives, the museum education class, and law class will be the most helpful/useful.

Same!

I'm hoping that my electives will expand my breadth a bit. I think it'll allow me to allow to apply to a much wider variety of positions. :) 

Just now, Neist said:

Same!

I'm hoping that my electives will expand my breadth a bit. I think it'll allow me to allow to apply to a much wider variety of positions. :) 

I'm using my electives as a selling point to libraries :-P.

42 minutes ago, Neist said:

Same!

@Neist - I know the library route is pretty much your goal, but I hear that History of Science graduate degrees can also open the doors into consulting jobs (for some strange reason). Teaching/research is my goal, but it's always nice to have backups (and backups of backups). 

15 hours ago, nevermind said:

Are you in a lab where you're forced to spend time with these people? That would be rough. When I'm in class/on campus, I think of it as work. I go in, I'm nice to people, I get what I need from professors/library/etc., and then I do the bulk of the work at my apartment. I honestly don't know any of the drama going on in my department (which is a big department so I'm sure drama exists) because I don't really attend the social events (e.g. bar hopping) that happen every weekend. I choose to spend my weekend doing some work but also achieving a life/work balance by going hiking, climbing, hanging out with my boyfriend, etc. I think there's a lot of work that goes into creating that kind of conscious separation (conscious uncoupling?) since academia is so "networking" heavy, but it's doable. You just have to learn to say "no" a lot in order to preserve your own sanity. I'm also very lucky that many faculty I work with have come to academia later in life, so they're very much aware that life exists outside the Ivory Tower. 

I definitely have more of a this is a job mentality which i prefer and keeps me more organized than some of the other students.  The problem lies in the fact that this isn't the expectation.  The students here are like some weird cult that can't stand to be apart and not wanting to do that makes you a problem.  Whenever there is free time they can't wait to glob together and generally be unproductive when I would rather use that time to get ahead on something and have a free weekend.  I get that its common for students to form study groups to get through piles of reading or master concepts, but what is the point if instead of studying all you're doing is socializing for several hours?  Then because nothing was accomplished they pull all nighters before deadlines or exams and just insist this is the way its supposed to be.  Seriously?  No thanks.  I'd rather spend an hour or two in the library getting through material ahead of time and then getting a good nights sleep.

Like you I use my weekends to create balance, check out new places, do whatever interests me, and I'm plenty social despite not having made friends here yet.  A group of these brats actually complained up the chain that I don't spend enough time with them.  Does this sound like high school to anyone else?  Ok good, it isn't just me.  And to be frank, I want to hang with people I can unplug with.  Not people who are going to use anything I say to create drama, gossip, or backstab which is of zero interest to me so I happily say no to most of the social invitations.

The faculty also expects the students to be joined at the hip and creates an excess of mandatory program events so that we're together beyond our classes.  Great forced socializing.  This reminds me of being a kid when your parents make you have a weekly play date with some kid you can't stand when you'd rather be reading or whatever because clearly there must be something wrong with you if you don't have regular play dates.  I have taken to skipping some of these events even though they're mandatory and am prepared to defend this choice if my advisor brings it up.

I am all for conscious uncoupling and will keep doing it, but am finding that saying no is more offensive to them then it really should be. 

14 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

My department doesn't even have a masters program. But I'm pretty confident that I'd like to stick it out. A lot of the problems that @MarineBluePsy is facing are things that I haven't really noticed around here which is great. As far as interpersonal relationships in this department go, of course there are people that rub me the wrong way (way too many people who act like they know everything... even though they sometimes do, and a lot of pretentious buttholes) but unlike undergrad, there are no really lazy people who complain about everything, limited drama/gossip and whatnot. I really appreciate it. Plus, you just can't beat the flexibility of being a grad student :)

Yes what is with all the pretentious buttholes?!  Clearly they've forgotten that buttholes still stink no matter who's it is.

14 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

I have three literature reviews and a research proposal to work on, but I won't need to set foot on campus for any of that thank goodness.  Other than that I will be relaxing.

1 hour ago, nevermind said:

@Neist - I know the library route is pretty much your goal, but I hear that History of Science graduate degrees can also open the doors into consulting jobs (for some strange reason). Teaching/research is my goal, but it's always nice to have backups (and backups of backups). 

Hm. That's interesting! And I would like to teach, but given my experience, I'm aiming at a career path that makes the most sense, for me. If I stumble into a teaching/research position, I wouldn't be disappointed. :) 

14 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

I'm doing quite a bit of reading. Doing some introductory readings surveying the modern history of biology, and I'm doing quite a bit of reading on the history of reading. 

So it looks like this project will finally get done. And I'm waiting upon a meeting with my advisor to go over my research and we'll make a plan for the holidays and then I'm good to get outta here. I'll be doing minimal over the break - tidying up two abstracts and working on some code. I really need a break because I haven't had one since starting my masters in September last year so I'm going to make the most of being able to sleep and watch shitty TV and eat delicious food.

Congrats guys on getting through semester 1, and I hope you all have happy, healthy breaks!

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

LMAO @reading on the history of reading.....that sounds like you're going to study how people literally sit down and read.

That's not a completely inaccurate interpretation. :) History of reading closely parallels, but is distinctly different from, the history of the book. It studies how books are used and to what ends. 

I wanted to read some on the history of libraries, and a lot of the books on the subject are history of reading-esque.

@MarineBluePsy I study/work by myself too. Luckily no one in my program takes offense to that, they still invite me ha. A lot of people in my program hang out/go out but most of them are extroverts. I go out with sometimes but its usually a once in awhile.

Edited by Need Coffee in an IV
Weird technical thing

MY ADVISOR <3 I could kiss him (I won't because eww) but when I asked what I should do over break for my research he responded "Sleep. Recover. Have a break. You've earned it. We'll start the new year fresh and ready to attack!" AND he loved one of my ideas! 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

MY ADVISOR <3 I could kiss him (I won't because eww) but when I asked what I should do over break for my research he responded "Sleep. Recover. Have a break. You've earned it. We'll start the new year fresh and ready to attack!" AND he loved one of my ideas! 

I mean, he isn't wrong!

33 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@hippyscientist Bf and I are planning on relaxing for the most part. But me and an old friend are going to see Cinderella in a month and I'm super excited! I haven't seen her in forever!

That sounds awesome!! It's always fun to catch up with old friends :)