We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

5 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

1500 words? That's 3 pages single-spaced. Who can talk about a book that long?

Oh, I can casually, but they want unnecessary specifics, and the length comes a little like rambling.

I once wrote 15 pages about a painting. :D 

So I just watched the first episode of the Gilmore Girls reboot and I'm not sure I'm liking this.  I won't spoil it, but Rory 2.0 just ain't Rory and they got rid of the background music!  They didn't even do the theme song!  All of this has made me wonder if being a 30something is more drastically different than I realized.  Sure I get that some things change, but are there so many changes that we're actually completely different people?  Am I as unrecognizable now as Rory is?  Not sure I like this.

7 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

So I just watched the first episode of the Gilmore Girls reboot and I'm not sure I'm liking this.  I won't spoil it, but Rory 2.0 just ain't Rory and they got rid of the background music!  They didn't even do the theme song!  All of this has made me wonder if being a 30something is more drastically different than I realized.  Sure I get that some things change, but are there so many changes that we're actually completely different people?  Am I as unrecognizable now as Rory is?  Not sure I like this.

That makes me sad! I've been binging gilmore girls in the hopes of finishing before the reboot happened. As it turns out I'm halfway through season 4 and looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Based on your comments, I'll temper my expectations.

Edited by hippyscientist

3 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

That makes me sad! I've been binging gilmore girls in the hopes of finishing before the reboot happened. As it turns out I'm halfway through season 4 and looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Based on your comments, I'll temper my expectations.

Yeah its actually kind of hard to get through.  I have seen every episode of the show a few times and just didn't expect such drastic changes in the reboot given how they were able to get pretty much the entire cast to come back and the setting is the same.  You know what else is different?  The Gilmore Girl fashion!  I always loved the clothes Lorelai and Rory wore and have slowly started to incorporate some of that style into my own wardrobe.  The reboot fashion is so bland I don't even remember it. 

12 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Yeah its actually kind of hard to get through.  I have seen every episode of the show a few times and just didn't expect such drastic changes in the reboot given how they were able to get pretty much the entire cast to come back and the setting is the same.  You know what else is different?  The Gilmore Girl fashion!  I always loved the clothes Lorelai and Rory wore and have slowly started to incorporate some of that style into my own wardrobe.  The reboot fashion is so bland I don't even remember it. 

GOOD, SOMEONE ELSE WHO THINKS THIS!! I was a diehard GG fan and could totally watch the original series for 24 hours straight if I didn't stop myself. But with the reboot, I turned it off halfway through "summer". They were trying way too hard, I think - I found myself getting annoyed with the Rory-and-Lorelai-talking-way-too-fast-about-random-nonsense scenes, and was downright disappointed with Rory for her (how do I say this without spoiling?) laissez faire relationship ethics. That just isn't the Rory we've all come to know and love!!

44 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

GOOD, SOMEONE ELSE WHO THINKS THIS!! I was a diehard GG fan and could totally watch the original series for 24 hours straight if I didn't stop myself. But with the reboot, I turned it off halfway through "summer". They were trying way too hard, I think - I found myself getting annoyed with the Rory-and-Lorelai-talking-way-too-fast-about-random-nonsense scenes, and was downright disappointed with Rory for her (how do I say this without spoiling?) laissez faire relationship ethics. That just isn't the Rory we've all come to know and love!!

Please tell me you finished watching the reboot?!  I must talk to someone, I must!  I'm such a fan I couldn't just not finish it and I will say that Fall finally started to feel like Gilmore Girls.  And the background music was back!  I was falling in love with the show all over again until then end.  That was the worst ending of all shows ending I have ever seen!  Totally unacceptable!  Absolutely not!  Who can I complain to?!  Just hell no!!!!!!

8 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Please tell me you finished watching the reboot?!  I must talk to someone, I must!  I'm such a fan I couldn't just not finish it and I will say that Fall finally started to feel like Gilmore Girls.  And the background music was back!  I was falling in love with the show all over again until then end.  That was the worst ending of all shows ending I have ever seen!  Totally unacceptable!  Absolutely not!  Who can I complain to?!  Just hell no!!!!!!

Watching it now :D

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Okay I just finished... definitely the worst show ending I've EVER seen also.

OMG I know!  I'm so angry about that its distracting me from my annoyance about all the characters that were missing.

4 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

OMG I know!  I'm so angry about that its distracting me from my annoyance about all the characters that were missing.

Like who? I think they did a great job of bringing back most of the characters. It really warmed my heart to see Chris and Sookie.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Like who? I think they did a great job of bringing back most of the characters. It really warmed my heart to see Chris and Sookie.

Pretty much no one from Yale except Logan, Colin, Finn, and Robert.  Where was Marty?  Where were Lucy and Olivia?  Where were any of Rory's roommates?  No sign of the Yale Daily News peeps other than Doyle?  I get that they weren't major players, but I sorta figured we'd see them in passing the way we saw them when the show was new.  In fact there were no scenes at Yale which seemed weird.  Also where were Madeline and Louise the Chilton hoochies they later saw on Spring Break?  Why didn't we see Max at Chilton?  Where were Sookie and Jackson's kids who must be super adorable by now?  How could there not be a scene with Sookie and Jackson when their relationship was so hilarious?  The phoney Tristan sighting was funny, but there should have been one of Dave as well.  And where the hell were Liz and TJ and their kid?  Yeah yeah I get they gave them a lame story line as an excuse, but it was still weird not to see them passing through driving Luke crazy.

So, I think I'm going to have to give up caffeine.

I ever do love caffeine's productivity boosting affects, but it doesn't help my anxiety. How can I ever call myself a graduate student without coffee? :D 

9 hours ago, Neist said:

I ever do love caffeine's productivity boosting affects, but it doesn't help my anxiety. How can I ever call myself a graduate student without coffee? :D 

If it helps I'm giving up everything as of today. Elimination diet time :( no caffeine, dairy, gluten, soy, corn, root & nightshade veggies etc. I think the worst bit is no alcohol! My grad school socializing revolves around beer! Agh

10 hours ago, Neist said:

Grad students are supposed to drink coffee?  No wonder I don't fit in.....I've never touched the stuff.

9 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@MarineBluePsy now that you've opened my eyes to all the things that could've been, I can never go back :'( 

What's really sad to me is how much I'm not compelled to watch the reboot over again.  The original series I could have spent the last decade watching endlessly on repeat without ever tiring of it.  The reboot?  I'll probably rewatch it again after I've literally gone through everything else.....including the news, the nature channel, pbs, and sports.  *sigh*

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

If it helps I'm giving up everything as of today. Elimination diet time :( no caffeine, dairy, gluten, soy, corn, root & nightshade veggies etc. I think the worst bit is no alcohol! My grad school socializing revolves around beer! Agh

I did something similar this fall and am going to do it again early next year.  Are you training for something specific or just want to be healthier?

And is it just me or have we not heard from @sjoh197 in ages?  Chick are you still breathing?

12 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I did something similar this fall and am going to do it again early next year.  Are you training for something specific or just want to be healthier?

Unfortunately this is on doctors orders, I've been dealing with gastro issues for ages (read 2 years) and it hit breaking point over Thanksgiving. It's time to get to the bottom of it, but this is the worst time to be doing this. I have SO much on these next few weeks, as I'm sure we all do. Grad school stress has just hit! 

11 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Unfortunately this is on doctors orders, I've been dealing with gastro issues for ages (read 2 years) and it hit breaking point over Thanksgiving. It's time to get to the bottom of it, but this is the worst time to be doing this. I have SO much on these next few weeks, as I'm sure we all do. Grad school stress has just hit! 

This is such a dumb question, but how do you know which one on the list is causing it? Why not gradually cut out, say, one thing per week, and then when it gets better you know you've found it? :P

Also, I feel you on the stress... I joined a gym this week and I totally didn't expect the positive difference it would make in terms of energy and stress!

13 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Ahhh so you're eliminating everything and then will slowly add things back to see what causes problems?  A tedious process, but likely worth it in the end.

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Also, I feel you on the stress... I joined a gym this week and I totally didn't expect the positive difference it would make in terms of energy and stress!

Good to hear!  Have things gotten any better with your classes?

5 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Ahhh so you're eliminating everything and then will slowly add things back to see what causes problems?  A tedious process, but likely worth it in the end.

Exactly - add each thing in for a day, stop eating it for two and see how I react. It's going to be great in the long run but worst timing!

Fuzzy, the gym is wonderful and helps energy levels & concentration and all that. It's great! 

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

No, I'm still failing :D How about you?

I'm expecting a C on the final exam and if I'm right then with everything else I will finish the class with a C.  That will pull my gpa down so much that I will end up on academic probation, which oddly my advisor did not comment on when I mentioned it.  I guess I will learn of the severity of that soon enough.

3 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I'm expecting a C on the final exam and if I'm right then with everything else I will finish the class with a C.  That will pull my gpa down so much that I will end up on academic probation, which oddly my advisor did not comment on when I mentioned it.  I guess I will learn of the severity of that soon enough.

Oh dear... but I imagine that's a pretty common scenario in the first semester (when your GPA isn't so balanced), right?

13 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Oh dear... but I imagine that's a pretty common scenario in the first semester (when your GPA isn't so balanced), right?

I'm not really sure and academic probation has never been an issue for me so I am trying to have a wait and see approach for now.  I know there have been some changes in how our courses are graded and one was converted to pass/fail for reasons that aren't very clear.  Conveniently that is the class I'm doing the best in and getting a letter grade there would push me up enough to not be on academic probation.  Without that my other grades are good, but not quite high enough.  

At some point I'm just expecting my advisor to say next semester is pretty much make it or break it which I understand, but am still quite thrown by the lack of support from the faculty and the department.  In all of our classes (and even the students farther along have said this) they tell us they expect us to learn a bunch of things, but when we ask for additional support to help us master those things we're ignored.  I don't see the point of being a teacher if you don't want to actually teach nor do I see the point of a degree program being unguided independent study.  Assuming I continue on I can't help but wonder what the end result will actually be or what I will have actually accomplished.

On 11/28/2016 at 6:10 AM, hippyscientist said:

Not sure if I could survive with my occassional booze. :D Though, recently I've had to drop most dairy. I think I've developed a milk protein allergy. Ergh.

On 11/27/2016 at 10:05 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@Neist Good luck, man, and godspeed. I recently bought a french press for our office, and that was the worst decision health-wise I've ever made. 

Gotta be careful with french press! It's easy to make it coffee into rocket fuel. :) 

On 11/28/2016 at 7:28 AM, MarineBluePsy said:

Grad students are supposed to drink coffee?  No wonder I don't fit in.....I've never touched the stuff.

I never touched it before graduate school. Probably wasn't a good idea to start. I suffer from too much anxiety to add coffee into the mix. Oddly enough, I drink quite a lot of tea, and tea has never given me the jitters the way coffee does.