We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

9 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm glad ot hear that you're doing well in courses... can I borrow some of that? Doing well in one of mine, but the other one is killing me :(

This sounds about right. I think all of my cohort have one class that just kicks their butt. Study groups and asking questions and not being afraid to ask for clarification all seem to help.

4 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist Oh I meant an excavation day! I spent 10 hours at one of our spots digging, locating, and creating a plaster jacket for fossils. Tbh I'm surprised I'm doing ok in all of my classes.

Oh, that sounds neat! :) 

On 10/1/2016 at 9:01 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm glad ot hear that you're doing well in courses... can I borrow some of that? Doing well in one of mine, but the other one is killing me :(

I think taking a zen stance of "I'm just going to do this and I don't really care how I do" has helped a lot. I'm just doing work. I'm trying hard not to think about it too much. Thinking about homework is a slippery slope!

1 hour ago, Neist said:

I think taking a zen stance of "I'm just going to do this and I don't really care how I do" has helped a lot. I'm just doing work. I'm trying hard not to think about it too much. Thinking about homework is a slippery slope!

So much this. I really don't care that much about my classes. At the end of the day I'll learn what's important by doing it as part of my research. Classes are just fulfilling a requirement for my college so they don't get a huge amount of attention. I do enough to get by and I've specifically picked classes that are useful so I quite enjoy applying what I learn to my research. Basically, I guess what I'm saying is classes aren't my focus, and I make sure the attention in those classes is focused towards my research interests. It seems to work. 

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Put on a good song, and bust 'em out, man!

Music makes everything better!  The 3 are going to have to wait, but I am going to take all the empty ones to the recycle place today so I can stop looking at them.  Then in the winter I get to do this all over again as I selfishly buy myself a zillion Xmas gifts :D

want to talk about awkward moments? one of the dudes on my floor caught me with my drawers down in the bathroom stall, as I was changing the bandage on my hip from my bike crash last week. I forgot to lock it.

3 hours ago, spectastic said:

want to talk about awkward moments? one of the dudes on my floor caught me with my drawers down in the bathroom stall, as I was changing the bandage on my hip from my bike crash last week. I forgot to lock it.

If you live on the same floor with a bunch of people, stuff like that is bound to happen. it'll be a funny memory at some point, I promise!

Also, I'd like to make a shout-out to hamburger helper. 

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

If you live on the same floor with a bunch of people, stuff like that is bound to happen. it'll be a funny memory at some point, I promise!

Also, I'd like to make a shout-out to hamburger helper. 

this was on campus, where I work. I'm just glad it wasn't my PI. that would have been pretty fucking weird.

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Ughhhh... I was so excited to go home for fall break this weekend, but I caught a cold, and while my mom is on chemo getting a cold could send her to the hospital, so I'm stuck here :(

fuck. I'm sorry :(

Hm...

Professor handed back weekly essays. Professor called me out specifically, stating that my writing is at an interesting point, and I should talk to him during office hours. Said nothing about other students. 

*squints eyes* I wonder if this is a bad sign or a good sign.

7 hours ago, Neist said:

Hm...

Professor handed back weekly essays. Professor called me out specifically, stating that my writing is at an interesting point, and I should talk to him during office hours. Said nothing about other students. 

Hey that sounds to me like you're on the precipice of something excellent and he wants to give you some pointers. Whether it's constructive criticism or full out praise it's a good opportunity to learn! 

My advisor found me today and notified me that he's nominated me for a prestigious grad school fellowship within our university and I need to fill in some paperwork. I have to write a combined research and personal statement for it. Pretty cool but I have no clue how to write it!

21 hours ago, Neist said:

Hm...

It ends up being both.

In my case, I found out that one of the papers that I wrote as an undergrad is being used as an example for the equivalent grad level course, so I get the "why the hell are you even in this class" question from other students, and the expectation of an even better paper from the professor. Apparently he selected the example papers prior to looking at the class roster. After I pointed this out to him, he stated that while I could turn in an expanded and updated version for the assignment (and he would accept it), it might be better not to do so.

BTW - History of Science / MLIS sounds like an awesome combination.

1 hour ago, avflinsch said:

It ends up being both.

In my case, I found out that one of the papers that I wrote as an undergrad is being used as an example for the equivalent grad level course, so I get the "why the hell are you even in this class" question from other students, and the expectation of an even better paper from the professor. Apparently he selected the example papers prior to looking at the class roster. After I pointed this out to him, he stated that while I could turn in an expanded and updated version for the assignment (and he would accept it), it might be better not to do so.

BTW - History of Science / MLIS sounds like an awesome combination.

It went okay. Like you said, it was both. 

This professor thought I was writing a little bit too accessible given the scope of the essay, and in hindsight, I agree with him. If I were writing an editorial for a newspaper, perhaps my tone would have been correct, but not for an academic essay. But I can't be too perturbed about it as I generally want my writing to be as accessible as possible.

Also, I think the combo is pretty neat. :) The program here is pretty unique, and I'm rather lucky to get gotten into it with funding.

I just realized that my note 5 can recognize my thumb print to get past the lock screen... amazing. although I'm giving this one to my dad, and trading for his iphone 4. I want something small that I can carry around, and not feel bad when I drop it. anyone remember the iphone 4? nothing fancy, but good enough for maps, audiobooks with bluetooth headphones, messaging, and other basic things. anyone else agree? why pay top dollar for the latest bullshit, when you can get 90% of the way there with something that costs 10% as much?

1 hour ago, spectastic said:

I just realized that my note 5 can recognize my thumb print to get past the lock screen... amazing. although I'm giving this one to my dad, and trading for his iphone 4. I want something small that I can carry around, and not feel bad when I drop it. anyone remember the iphone 4? nothing fancy, but good enough for maps, audiobooks with bluetooth headphones, messaging, and other basic things. anyone else agree? why pay top dollar for the latest bullshit, when you can get 90% of the way there with something that costs 10% as much?

You know, I'd love a smaller phone; they are all huge anymore. However, I love fingerprint scanner on my Nexus 5X. I can log into my bank account without my password, as can I log into PayPal or pay for things on Amazon or Google Play. 

I never thought I'd use the fingerprint scanner when I first got the phone, but it's become my favorite feature.

4 hours ago, spectastic said:

Unfortunately if you get an iPhone 4, it won't be able to upgrade to the last few iOS versions which is required by many apps. As long as you hold off on updating apps and are okay with the (I think small) loss of functionality, I totally agree that the iPhone 4 is great since it's probably free (or maybe even the 5 is free now.) 

Yeah, I think I'm going to take fewer classes next semester and take summer courses. I'm keeping up, but my brain is starting to fry. This weekend I burned through about 400 pages of Descartes. I'm not even sure what I'm thinking anymore. :D 

This workload might be manageable, but who has time to think about things, or let concepts sink in, or follow-up with additional sources? 

5 hours ago, Neist said:

This workload might be manageable, but who has time to think about things, or let concepts sink in, or follow-up with additional sources? 

Oh my gosh, that is the question I am asking myself constantly. I am keeping up now, but between courses, my assistantship, and taking on (whoops) two TA loads, and extracurricular committees...I'm definitely not doing dissertation research yet, or following up on sources, or managing my bibliography very well. Oof.

I wish I had never started this. This crap will put a load on my marriage.

Just working and having free evenings was such a better life that I didn't appreciate. My field is going to be overloaded and dead-end by the time I graduate anyways, there's no point in any of this. Maybe if I was smart enough I could actually get stuff done.

Edited by EveryDay