We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

45 minutes ago, nevermind said:

They don't have semesters. It's a quarter system...the academic year will go into mid-June. Hope your classes are going well @Neist!

They are going pretty good, thanks! :) However, we're covering ancient, western science in my graduate survey, and it could not be topically less relevant to my interests or less attractive. We're reading a lot of works by classicists and philosophers, and I find such scholarship overly erudite and tedious.

23 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

First homework assignment and I'm already needing some serious alcohol therapy :P

Noob. My alcohol therapy started way before my homework was done (it still isn't done). :D 

Also, everyone don't forget that you can change your application season to "Already Attending" because we're awesome now.

3 hours ago, nevermind said:

They don't have semesters. It's a quarter system...the academic year will go into mid-June. Hope your classes are going well @Neist!

I think it's a West coast thing. I'm attending Oregon State and a friend's at Seattle U. We both start late September.

9 hours ago, Neist said:

Noob. My alcohol therapy started way before my homework was done (it still isn't done). :D 

Also, everyone don't forget that you can change your application season to "Already Attending" because we're awesome now.

Oh mine definitely still isn't done. 25 hours and counting!

@MarineBluePsy If... if you've never used Command hooks, did you never have anything hanging on your walls in rental places? I have millions of 'em. I used 50 just to hang up a really heavy whiteboard in my living room (if they ever fail, I'm gonna have a bad time!)

38 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

can we talk about people that let their alarms run without hitting snooze (ahem, my roommate)??

WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS??????

I'm guilty of this... but my alarm is a light alarm and not a noise alarm, so if I just lay there for a few minutes while the light is on the brightest setting it helps me be more awake.

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm guilty of this... but my alarm is a light alarm and not a noise alarm, so if I just lay there for a few minutes while the light is on the brightest setting it helps me be more awake.

light alarm is fine!! super chimy alarm is a whole 'nother story.

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@MarineBluePsy If... if you've never used Command hooks, did you never have anything hanging on your walls in rental places? I have millions of 'em. I used 50 just to hang up a really heavy whiteboard in my living room (if they ever fail, I'm gonna have a bad time!)

I just used thumbtacks, nails, or screws.  Such holes are considered normal wear and tear and do not affect deposits.

1 hour ago, Effloresce said:

can we talk about people that let their alarms run without hitting snooze (ahem, my roommate)??

Actually I can't stand the people who hit snooze and think alarm makers should remove the feature entirely.  Set the alarm for the time you want to get up and then get the f up!  I can't stand the constant hitting of snooze because "I need a few more minutes" or "I'm still tired."  No you're lazy!  We're all tired, get over it!  

So, this week's précis is going to be a little bit of a soapbox. I studied an 8-page article over 5 hours and still have no idea what the entirety of the argument concerns.

Why are academics so terrible at writing? Do they deliberately write in ways that encourage discipline echo chambers? Ugh.

3 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Actually I can't stand the people who hit snooze and think alarm makers should remove the feature entirely.  Set the alarm for the time you want to get up and then get the f up!  I can't stand the constant hitting of snooze because "I need a few more minutes" or "I'm still tired."  No you're lazy!  We're all tired, get over it!  

YES. The people who set like five billion alarms like 5 minutes apart. Seriously, are you less tired after the tenth one than you are after the first one?

34 minutes ago, Neist said:

So, this week's précis is going to be a little bit of a soapbox. I studied an 8-page article over 5 hours and still have no idea what the entirety of the argument concerns.

Why are academics so terrible at writing? Do they deliberately write in ways that encourage discipline echo chambers? Ugh.

You should read The Sokal Hoax. :)

13 minutes ago, nevermind said:

You should read The Sokal Hoax. :)

That looks pretty interesting! And I have suspicions that the editors of the journal this article was published in had some difficulty reading it as well; I've found a few typos.

Not sure how my professor will react to my précis. It's well-articulated, but it's probably not what they wanted or expected. #YOLO. :D 

9 hours ago, Effloresce said:

I let my alarm run every morning....

They run up the bed, down the bed, to the food dish, back across the bed, maybe step on my face. 

If any random history graduate school applicants wander in here and wonder if the reading is as heavy as they say it is.... it is.

I'm organizing my readings for next week because my school week ends on Wednesday, and I might have 1000 pages that I'm responsible for before the beginning of next week. And two essays.

7 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

I let my alarm run every morning....

They run up the bed, down the bed, to the food dish, back across the bed, maybe step on my face. 

I'm stealing this quote, sorry :D

what a day! I live about 20 miles from school which has never been a huge issue, until today. My car has an oil leak which I didn't know about until I had driven about 30 miles on it... with no oil. RIP engine. RIP wallet. RIP car. 

And RIP my soul when I almost had to walk 20 miles home... fortunately a labmate came to pick me up about halfway there.

9 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm stealing this quote, sorry :D

what a day! I live about 20 miles from school which has never been a huge issue, until today. My car has an oil leak which I didn't know about until I had driven about 30 miles on it... with no oil. RIP engine. RIP wallet. RIP car. 

And RIP my soul when I almost had to walk 20 miles home... fortunately a labmate came to pick me up about halfway there.

Are you sure the engine is toast?  I drove a prior car for a few hundred miles with no oil and after servicing it I had it another couple of years.

3 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Are you sure the engine is toast?  I drove a prior car for a few hundred miles with no oil and after servicing it I had it another couple of years.

New development, it is not toast! I had a cylinder misfire that happened to be at the exact same time as an oil leak :P I don't know how I'm going to be commuting in the next week.... sigh.

13 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Effloresce How was the date/non-date?

it was good! she's sweet and we had a lot in common, so I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with her again. there's a grad student social at the lgbt center on campus tomorrow and we'll probably run into each other there. 

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

New development, it is not toast! I had a cylinder misfire that happened to be at the exact same time as an oil leak :P I don't know how I'm going to be commuting in the next week.... sigh.

Yay!  Can you bus, bike, or rideshare in the meantime?

9 hours ago, Effloresce said:

it was good! she's sweet and we had a lot in common, so I'd definitely be interested in meeting up with her again. there's a grad student social at the lgbt center on campus tomorrow and we'll probably run into each other there. 

Yay!

8 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Yay!  Can you bus, bike, or rideshare in the meantime?

Minimally! There's ONE bus that goes from my apartment complex (only one within like 3 miles) to campus in the morning (6:45am), and ONE that goes from campus to my complex at night (at around 5). If I need to go anywhere else or travel on the weekends, I'm toast! And I'm about 20 miles and a pretty rough hill from campus, so biking isn't really super ideal.

@sjoh197 I know that feeling! They're always like "ay, let's go to (insert Asian restaurant here)!!!" but having a pretty severe airborne peanut allergy I can't even go into some of those restaurants. Can you at least go and get soda or something??

i really can't take this alarm thing..

we drive in together so i'm going to ask if she like...doesn't hear her alarm in the mornings..

also i think i'm way too nice? she keeps common areas a mess and I've not spoken to her about it...i will wash her dishes and clean after her without a peep. she drives in with me (because she said she didn't want to pay for a parking pass) but hasn't offered anything for the pass itself or gas.. i've been the only one to take out trash when it's full, while she'll put things on top of the can instead of taking it out. leaves oven pans on the stove top 2-3 days after use..

yeah, i should say something.

Edited by Effloresce

55 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

i really can't take this alarm thing..

we drive in together so i'm going to ask if she like...doesn't hear her alarm in the mornings..

also i think i'm way too nice? she keeps common areas a mess and I've not spoken to her about it...i will wash her dishes and clean after her without a peep. she drives in with me (because she said she didn't want to pay for a parking pass) but hasn't offered anything for the pass itself or gas.. i've been the only one to take out trash when it's full, while she'll put things on top of the can instead of taking it out. leaves oven pans on the stove top 2-3 days after use..

yeah, i should say something.

Wow... That's a no from me. Maybe its the parenting in me coming out, but I would have straightened her out already.

Dont clean her dishes. If her pans are taking up the stovetop, start putting them in a box or plastic bag and removing them from the common area and putting them in her personal space. Same with other clutter. Dont clean up after her or she will just learn that if she leaves stuff out, it will bother you enough that you'll do it.

Be direct. Actually tell her out loud "Stop putting shit on top of the trashcan when its full." "Stop leaving your god damn pots on the stove for 5 days" etc.