We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

On 9/10/2016 at 9:23 AM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

On the computer with the Drive folder, in the system tray (assuming it's a PC) you should see the Drive symbol. Hover over that with your mouse and you should see either "files synced" or "1 out of 29 files syncing" or something. That will help diagnose the problem :)

Ok I see it syncing now and it better work because I'm sick of using the laptop all the time,  My desktop is set up and its just so much better.

On 9/10/2016 at 1:39 PM, Neist said:

I use Drive a ton, but I never liked that functionality. I just drag and drop them. I dislike finicky things.

But what a time suck!  With all the money they make from advertisers they can make the damn thing work right!

38 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I agree. I have sold my soul to the gods of Google, but if they could just make Drive and Calendar work better....

I figured out the problem!  For some reason I just had the desktop Drive folder and not the taskbar icon thing that does the actual syncing.  I had to uninstall it on my desktop and reinstall it to get it to work right.  Now my desktop, laptop, and web version are all the same.

As for Google Calendar?  It worked fine while doing my Master's and just being in the working world, but now I've switched to Zoho.  Way more folder options and reminder settings.  So far the only drag is not having a task list.

You know, there is an awful lot of advice given in this forum about the importance of having a hobby you enjoy, of being social every once in a while, of sometimes not finishing homework so that you can maintain your sanity, etc. I never understood this... until now. If you try to do everything to the best of your ability, you will fizz out pretty quickly, I'm sure.

59 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You know, there is an awful lot of advice given in this forum about the importance of having a hobby you enjoy, of being social every once in a while, of sometimes not finishing homework so that you can maintain your sanity, etc. I never understood this... until now. If you try to do everything to the best of your ability, you will fizz out pretty quickly, I'm sure.

Yep I have truly taken that on board. I feel SO MUCH HAPPIER than when I was doing my masters, where I really wasn't social and didn't have a life outside of studying and the gym. Who knew that having social interactions and a hobby would be good for your mental health? Apparently, everyone!

13 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Yep I have truly taken that on board. I feel SO MUCH HAPPIER than when I was doing my masters, where I really wasn't social and didn't have a life outside of studying and the gym. Who knew that having social interactions and a hobby would be good for your mental health? Apparently, everyone!

Yeah pretty much! I told my labmates my revelation yesterday and they looked at me like "...yeah?"

21 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny my lab are pretty good at doing the socializing thing but I didn't realise how much of a good effect it would have on me. Yay! Go do things!! 

Mine is too, which is great! I've never really been a part of a group before - in undergrad it was just myself and two professors generally, and in REUs I was usually pretty separated from the grad students. I love that in my lab we talk about everything from physics-y things to kittens to death metal to cheesecake.

first exam today!

3 parts because we were taught by 3 different professors..which was interesting.

also question: what's you all's stance on going to an undergrad association as a grad student? there's a panel going on tonight but it's put on by the undergrad lgbt organization..and i'm really interested, but don't know if i'd be the weird 'old' grad student in the room.

1 hour ago, Effloresce said:

first exam today!

3 parts because we were taught by 3 different professors..which was interesting.

also question: what's you all's stance on going to an undergrad association as a grad student? there's a panel going on tonight but it's put on by the undergrad lgbt organization..and i'm really interested, but don't know if i'd be the weird 'old' grad student in the room.

Go and if you don't like it, you don't have to go again! I'm all for trying everything at least once, especially in this sort of scenario. Who cares if you're the "oldie"???

12 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah I'm pretty much forcing myself to be social by making myself do one social thing each weekend.  I didn't realize how burnout I was on having been friendless for so long because that was the case long before I relocated and has continued since starting my program.  I figure having limited social interactions while not having friends is better than having no social interactions while not having friends.

1 hour ago, Effloresce said:

first exam today!

I had this exact same thought when I stumbled upon a campus event that talked about school sanctioned travel abroad opportunities.  Basically interested students name countries they're interested in visiting and the school organizes a trip during a designated school break.  The trip is a mix of tours, interacting with locals, learning about history/culture, engaging in something artistic, and trying the food.  The trips cost between 3-5k and include a translator, airfare, lodging, and all the activities.  You just pay for food, souvenirs, and unscheduled activities.  I've never traveled so this sounded like a lot of fun, but even though it is open to all students grad students never go.  So not only am I old for a grad student already, I might be the weird old grad student hanging with undergrads lol.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Thanks Neist xD I needed that

I think this is the first time in awhile that I've intentionally turned in homework that was incomplete. But I don't have the 235923852935 hours to figure out this problem!

I did something similar and turned in an assignment I was certain I did wrong because by the time I realized I screwed up (though not sure where) the deadline was looming.  

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny You're welcome! :D 

I'm pretty sure graduate school pushes more at you than what you can reasonably do well. This has been me since the semester started.

ktpng.gif

Obscure, esoteric piece of philosophical scholarship? I'll read it 30 minutes before class. There's just not enough time. And I'm putting in long hours, so it's not as if I'm not dedicated. My days are easily 10+ hours, and usually over 12. 

20 minutes ago, spectastic said:

so i'm supposed to write a thank you letter to a small tuition fellowship that i supposedly got. I don't know anything about this fellowship. Do I just put down like 3 sentences with my name at the bottom?

For those kinds of things it's usually appreciated if say a little bit about what you're researching, and thank the donor for providing the funds to enable you to continue your studies at the institution. If they're interested in your research, who knows? Maybe it could lead to further funding!

31 minutes ago, spectastic said:

for a first year? that seems like a lot. 

I'm taking three classes instead of two; the department only requires two to be full-time as a TA, but most students supplement the two classes with language training (which I do not need). So instead of two classes and a language course, I'm taking three classes. I'm not yet sure if it was a good idea. I'm not overwhelmed, but it's riding the line. Also, the class I'm TA'ing for is remarkably reading heavy. The class has several discussion groups with individually-assigned readings, and I pretty much have to review them all. They are easy reads, but it's time-consuming.

Also, I'm involved in four reading groups, because.. I'm insane? I am having fun, though. 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

From what I hear, I don't think 10-12 hours is too much for a first year, especially if you count time spent studying at home. 

yeah, i'm on campus from 7:30 to 6ish most days and that's between class, lab and studying. so..it's a lot.

last night i was so exhausted and since i took my exam yesterday i thought i'd treat myself to extra sleep. i got like..8 and a half hours? and i'm just dragggggging today. not a good idea.

I really need to working on knowing when to give up and go home. I was at school for 15 hours yesterday and though I did that regularly in undergrad for some reason it's really wearing on me now. 

I also had to sleep in the office last weekend, but not due to work. My car had broken down (a mouse ate some cables in the engine?? Seriously?!) in Ithaca, and since I live out of town I was screwed. Eventually a friend came to get me but not for 4-5 hours or so. Gah!

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

4 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I really need to working on knowing when to give up and go home. I was at school for 15 hours yesterday and though I did that regularly in undergrad for some reason it's really wearing on me now. 

I also had to sleep in the office last weekend, but not due to work. My car had broken down (a mouse ate some cables in the engine?? Seriously?!) in Ithaca, and since I live out of town I was screwed. Eventually a friend came to get me but not for 4-5 hours or so. Gah!

yeah, i was pulling over 12 hour days because of the exam..but i think since i go in so early to avoid traffic, my days are going to be long regardless especially since class takes up about 2 hours or so of my time. 

i'm sorry about your car and that you couldn't sleep at home :( where exactly in the office did you sleep? was it a bit comfy at least?