We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

My stuff finally arrived and the delivery guy was so overweight and in poor shape he was struggling to lift them out of his van all while in danger of losing his pants.  I was afraid he'd keel over, flash me, or both so I brought them into the house myself.  And how heavy were these boxes?  The heaviest was 15lbs.  Seriously.  *sigh*

I feel like in that job, you won't be overweight for too long :D

1 hour ago, rhombusbombus said:

I've never wanted to run over more people in my life. Seems like these undergrads have no concept of how to properly cross as street. They just run out like they trust me not to kill them!

Ugh honestly. No awareness what so ever. 

So I got my bedside tables and bar stools delivered tonight. And I cooked things for my department potluck. And I did some homework that got assigned at 5pm for class tomorrow. And I bingewatched grey's anatomy. I call that a productive evening! Oh and it looks like I may have a lit review in the pipeline for January...I just hope I learn how to pace myself!!

While on the bus, a mother getting on the bus asked us to wait for a minute because her ~7ish year old son really had to go to the bathroom and was peeing behind the tree. And of course, as I am hearing this conversation, I look up, and through the bus window see a 7 year old boy, fully facing the bus peeing "behind" a tree at a busy intersection. I had to look completely down in order to avoid the embarrassing sight. 

What kind of parents are out there now?

14 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

I've never wanted to run over more people in my life. Seems like these undergrads have no concept of how to properly cross as street. They just run out like they trust me not to kill them!

There used to be a 'Caution - Random Student Crossing' sign here on one of the main roads thru the downtown campus, but sadly it has vanished.

2 hours ago, avflinsch said:

There used to be a 'Caution - Random Student Crossing' sign here on one of the main roads thru the downtown campus, but sadly it has vanished.

We have entire streets here labeled as pedestrian crossing areas, which means someone could randomly throw themselves in front of my car on an ordinary city street, and I'd get charged for it. I hate driving around here.

Also, speaking of gender fluid individuals, I saw a trans woman on campus today and, being the bible belt, I expected people to stare, at the very least. I'm happy to state that no one cared at all. Yay for liberal college campus enclaves! :) The state of my birth has always bothered me in regards to such issues, but I'm a pretty left-seated egalitarian.

I regularly almost hit bicyclists who dont stop at any of the 6-7 4 way stops directly adjacent to my apartment and just ride out in front of you as you go. It's a nightmare.

Thankfully, utilizing public transportation means I dont have to worry about the wandering students on campus.

Sorry. Meant to say 'trans / gender non-confirming'.

@Neist Go her! For the most part, college campuses are havens for trans / genderqueer folks. Being from the Deep South, I'm happy to be moving to the PNW.

I hate hate hate inconsiderate pedestrians. If a car hits you, regardless of law, you're more likely to get hurt than the driver. Happy I'll only need my car for groceries and traveling. 

Edited by janetjanejune

Perhaps this is obvious to others, but I just realize that there are several 'right' ways to do assignments as a graduate student. Of course, they want me to fulfill certain requirements, but I don't gather that they care as much in the specifics, as they might when teaching undergrads.

Guess I'll see how it goes after this essay gets graded.

23 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I feel like in that job, you won't be overweight for too long :D

In most cases I would agree with this, but this guy was telling me how this had been his career for many years and he'd soon retire.  Perhaps he's been slowing down a bit.

10 hours ago, janetjanejune said:

@MarineBluePsy I don't find it nice to talk about the delivery guy's weight.

Perhaps it is not, but it was definitely a factor in my delivery experience.  His being overweight certainly doesn't make him a bad person, just more of an indication that his line of work may no longer be suitable.

7 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

I regularly almost hit bicyclists who dont stop at any of the 6-7 4 way stops directly adjacent to my apartment and just ride out in front of you as you go. It's a nightmare.

Thankfully, utilizing public transportation means I dont have to worry about the wandering students on campus.

as a cyclist, i regularly break the rules, but with discretion towards other drivers and pedestrians, but I can understand how there are people who are just unaware. (I think we had this conversation before)

are you in a big city? or big campus?

57 minutes ago, spectastic said:

as a cyclist, i regularly break the rules, but with discretion towards other drivers and pedestrians, but I can understand how there are people who are just unaware. (I think we had this conversation before)

are you in a big city? or big campus?

Both. I live in houston, where neither walking nor cycling is big, but the area I live in is very active.

Not following all the rules is fine and all, (its not like cars do), but if someone just blazes through a 4 way stop on their bike, thats just dangerous for everyone. Especially if its not on a campus, but in a busy part of town. I guess I'm just bitter because i almost hit them all the time, even when I'm being very careful. Gives me panic attacks after.

You're having discretion for others on the road. They're just being dumbasses.

And now that I've burnt a hole in my wallet online shopping I am way too amped to sleep.  The good news is my place should be half furnished by next week.  I've finished watching Doogie Howser and am now on to Wings.  That'll make me tired right?  

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

Both. I live in houston, where neither walking nor cycling is big, but the area I live in is very active.

Not following all the rules is fine and all, (its not like cars do), but if someone just blazes through a 4 way stop on their bike, thats just dangerous for everyone. Especially if its not on a campus, but in a busy part of town. I guess I'm just bitter because i almost hit them all the time, even when I'm being very careful. Gives me panic attacks after.

You're having discretion for others on the road. They're just being dumbasses.

oh yea, I've ridden in houston a few times. not a great place to ride at all to my knowledge. so sprawled out. not enough bike lanes.

i keep saying this. we need to be more like europe

13 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

My sister (finishing up her PhD in atmospheric science) just sent me this: http://legogradstudent.tumblr.com/

You NEED to check out that tumblr as a grad student. You will laugh, you will cry...

Haha! That's great. :) Thanks for sharing!

Also, if anyone ever notices an oddly quoted text from me, it's a bug from Grammarly. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to correct it unless I turn it off.

Edited by Neist
Clarification

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

A kitty after my own heart. 

That's what I've felt like at the end of the day every single day thus far.

Graduate school is exhausting! I love it, but it certainly is exhausting.

wow it's been a whirlwind.

two stats assignments and an exam in the two weeks we've had stats! then lab rotations start on tuesday, wow wow wow.

@janetjanejune, that's awesome about the trans/gender non-conforming committee! i've kind of realized over the past couple of months that i identify as non-binary but also identify as femme, and while i know nonbinary gender is under the trans umbrella, i always have conflicting feelings. i think i'm going to check out our gq/trans group on campus along with general lgbtq groups on campus. 

still can't believe it's been officially two weeks (and two days!) since i've started this program though!