We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 hour ago, pterosaur said:

It's got its own youtube playlist!

They're pretty adorable, in my roboticsy opinion: kilobot.jpg

That's pretty cool. They're kinda cute in a robotic way! The only exciting thing about my research is i might get to play with dead feet. I have one more orientation thing this afternoon but the bus that will take me to campus only goes at 6-8am and returns 4-6pm so I gotta get there miles too early. I'm hoping to do some organisational stuff thouhg 

So I got my TA class assignment... although I don't know which section until friday. I get to TA an intro physical geology lab. Should be pretty simple. 

Got introduced to both of my research projects. Already lost as lost can be lol. 

On 8/16/2016 at 1:43 PM, sjoh197 said:

I get it, but this video is totally geared towards just out of high school. It's obnoxious. And if these morals aren't being taught at home, a video isn't going to fix it.

Well... I was going to stalk and harass that girl... but now that I've seen this informative video, I won't follow her home in the dark.

Said no one ever. 

Yeah, that part I get, and I agree. I guess my field (education) colors my view of these videos and most other orientation events- I appreciate seeing what the undergrads are seeing because I will be working closely with them and other young folks. I want to be aware of the language that the governing institution is using, and use it alongside the language I am familiar with. That way, if/when this comes up in advising, I can be sure of what the policies are (and communicate them effectively!).

And, @pterosaur, those robots are adorable! The army is slightly unnerving, but they really are cute.

Edited by jlt646

You guys, I think I'm going to like grad school :) My cohort are awesome, my advisor seems pretty chill, and I'm already getting some amazing research ideas just being around all these brilliant minds. (Orientations can do one though - we left ours early to go get beer....)

Just now, hippyscientist said:

You guys, I think I'm going to like grad school :) My cohort are awesome, my advisor seems pretty chill, and I'm already getting some amazing research ideas just being around all these brilliant minds. (Orientations can do one though - we left ours early to go get beer....)

So I don't know if this is like, normal or anything... but I haven't actually had any research ideas at all, and instead had two rather complex and specific preconceived research collaborations "presented" to me... and then was told that together they would make a very interesting Phd. Of course both of them were awesome, but I did get all worked up and nervous all summer about having to come up with these brilliant ideas. 

Just now, sjoh197 said:

So I don't know if this is like, normal or anything... but I haven't actually had any research ideas at all, and instead had two rather complex and specific preconceived research collaborations "presented" to me... and then was told that together they would make a very interesting Phd. Of course both of them were awesome, but I did get all worked up and nervous all summer about having to come up with these brilliant ideas. 

Well my advisor suggested some equipment he wanted to use and it ties in so perfectly with my masters work that it just seems like fate. I'm having a meeting with him tomorrow to go over everything. I'm so excited, I actually squealed and did a little clap jump thing (you know the thing that cheerleaders do? Yep I did that at orientation) when I saw the equipment and cadaveric feet. Officially weird. :P 

It's awesome though. Grad school over here is so different to what I was anticipating. Those collaborations sounds awesome though. We can do this guys. :D

wow, only on second day of orientation and i'm exhausted!!

yesterday was an all-day from 8 am to 9 pm sorta thing. today was safety/animal training in the morning, and lunch and poster session/mixer in the evening. and that poster session is only one of 11.

surprisingly, i thought i wouldn't like the molecular physio and biophysics department, but some people there do really neat stuff. i think i'm going to rotate in a few of those labs. 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

7 hours? Try 19 over two days. And 11 more hours of orientation also... :(

That's rough. Guess I don't have it so bad after all. I still have other shorter orientations but that won't be so bad. 

1 hour ago, Effloresce said:

wow, only on second day of orientation and i'm exhausted!!

yesterday was an all-day from 8 am to 9 pm sorta thing. today was safety/animal training in the morning, and lunch and poster session/mixer in the evening. and that poster session is only one of 11.

surprisingly, i thought i wouldn't like the molecular physio and biophysics department, but some people there do really neat stuff. i think i'm going to rotate in a few of those labs. 

one of ELEVEN poster sessions?!?!?!

9 hours ago, janetjanejune said:

Was emailed my three upcoming roommates with their emails attached. Sent out an introduction listing my lifestyle and habits. This was three days ago. No response. Am I wrong to be a little disappointed by them?

Doing random roommates during first year of grad school? That's a bold move, Cotton.

9 hours ago, janetjanejune said:

Was emailed my three upcoming roommates with their emails attached. Sent out an introduction listing my lifestyle and habits. This was three days ago. No response. Am I wrong to be a little disappointed by them?

Perhaps it is simply part of your lifestyle and habits to introduce yourself and give a bio... Whereas it is part of their lifestyle and habits to either be too busy or not give a shit.

(I dont mean that in a mean way... I'm the type of person to introduce who I am and what I do ?)

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny It's off-campus apartments catered to college students. It's unaffiliated with my university, but it act as an unofficial residence hall. Pre-furnished, only responsible for your portion of the rent, split light bill.

@sjoh197 Haha! No offense taken. I used to be the latter: not give a shit till it was time to give a shit.

Overall, I'm nervous about this setup. I emailed them as a way to put my nerves at ease. I'm trying to change my ways to be more proactive not reactive. I don't want to just move in and leave everything to interpretation. That's guaranteed conflict. Ugh. :/

BTW, glad to be back here! Happy reading everyone's first day stories. Hope y'all's continue with the success!

1 minute ago, janetjanejune said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny It's off-campus apartments catered to college students. It's unaffiliated with my university, but it act as an unofficial residence hall. Pre-furnished, only responsible for your portion of the rent, split light bill.

@sjoh197 Haha! No offense taken. I used to be the latter: not give a shit till it was time to give a shit.

Overall, I'm nervous about this setup. I emailed them as a way to put my nerves at ease. I'm trying to change my ways to be more proactive not reactive. I don't want to just move in and leave everything to interpretation. That's guaranteed conflict. Ugh. :/

BTW, glad to be back here! Happy reading everyone's first day stories. Hope y'all's continue with the success!

I think a good suggestion would be before everyone gets too settled in, have everyone meet somewhere for lunch or dinner (somewhere inexpensive) as a good, casual, and more relaxed "get to know each other" deal... and perhaps have some of the discussion there. That way everyone is in the same place, but also occupied with food so that it's not all awkward and stuff. 

@janetjanejune I had set some ground rules with my partner yesterday, because tomorrow is my first day "back in the swing of things" and I will no longer be able to maintain the entire house by myself. No more breakfast, lunch, and dinner with me cleaning it all up. No more cleaning out his lunch containers and coffee mugs. No more putting his dirty clothes in the hamper and his hangers in the closet. No more driving him to the bus station. 

His face was kind of sad lol. 

@sjoh197 He should take care of himself anyway. It'll be good for him. :) 

@janetjanejune I've been a little nervous that I'll make bad impressions similarly. I'm a pretty open, forward person, and I think I sometimes weird people out. I'm also overly optimistic and gregarious (which is weird, because I'm an introvert), and I think that adds to the creepy factor. :D 

I've accepted that people will either 'get' me or not, and there's not much I can do about it.