We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Eh, I'll fix it if they don't pick up the slack. Like I said, I'm pretty good at the school thing, and I'm even better at backup plans. :) Besides, I'm pretty sure they have worse grades than me in class, and both partners seem to want A's. We will see.

I'm patting myself on the back a little bit, but I had it pretty together in January. However, I had a lot more anxiety. Anxiety is almost always an underlying issue in my life, but it peaks during times of unknowing. Not knowing what I was going to do for the next several years and not having the means to gain that knowledge expediently was my personal hell. :D 

I'm probably more happy about that experience being over with than actually getting accepted into a program. Ugh.

Agreed with having it pretty much together in January. I also fully agree with the unknowing causing anxiety. I'm pretty good with uncertainty and change but for me it was the uncertainty of knowing where I would be living come now. I'm so grateful that it worked out and I got my first choice and now I'm not really batting an eyelid at the thought of moving to the US (now the packing is done). I know that this program location wise and opportunity wise is the right fit. As my dad keeps telling me "it's your's to mess up". No pressure! 

2 more full days in this country. It's definitely time for me to move on and this is so right. There's a TV show on at the minute called "Great American Railway Journeys"  which started in NYC, went up to Niagra Falls, Philly to Gettysburg (via Hershey), and down through Delaware. Next episode is DC. It's not the sort of show I would normally watch but it's providing a really useful insight into the history of the US that I might be unfamiliar with, and makes me reminisce on my road trip. Definitely makin me excited about being in the vicinity in 3 days time.

Also, I am still getting information about orientation at a school I was accepted to but declined the offer. I've contacted them multiple times to effectively say thanks but no thanks, and I'm still on the ruddy mailing list! Very infuriating! I also got an email from Penn State today telling me that I've been registered for my American Speaking Test to prove I can communicate effectively in English/American. Ugh, do I have to?!

this is so exciting! everyone's moving and starting their programs, ahhh.

my roommate moved into the apartment, and she says it's awesome! i'm so much more excited to move in now. my dad has mapped out our trip, and we're leaving out sunday at 10 AM and should be in nashville by monday afternoon (with stops along the way and an overnight stay in nowhere, virginia).

20 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I was just looking through my first posts on this forum from the beginning of January... man, how we've changed guys!!

My life was so much better in January.  Since then I've nearly died, hemorrhaged a shit load of money, and landed myself in a program that is looking like a dud.  Yep go me :wacko:

2 hours ago, Effloresce said:

this is so exciting! everyone's moving and starting their programs, ahhh.

my roommate moved into the apartment, and she says it's awesome! i'm so much more excited to move in now. my dad has mapped out our trip, and we're leaving out sunday at 10 AM and should be in nashville by monday afternoon (with stops along the way and an overnight stay in nowhere, virginia).

So then what did she renegotiate in the lease?  Whatever it is you want to be sure it is something good that benefits both of you equally.

2 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

My life was so much better in January.  Since then I've nearly died, hemorrhaged a shit load of money, and landed myself in a program that is looking like a dud.  Yep go me :wacko:

If it means anything... I was in a similarly shitty place last year, and things looked pretty awful... But they got better. I really hope that things get better for you. If you work really hard, things will turn out for the better, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

So then what did she renegotiate in the lease?  Whatever it is you want to be sure it is something good that benefits both of you equally.

she didn't end up renegotiating anything, actually. her concerns were solved with a simple conversation with the leasing office which i'm really happy about because there was nothing in the lease that i felt needed negotiation..

also hmm..my life was pretty bad in january, i think. but that's clinical depression for ya..

17 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

If it means anything... I was in a similarly shitty place last year, and things looked pretty awful... But they got better. I really hope that things get better for you. If you work really hard, things will turn out for the better, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Came to say this... I will leave out details for the sake of privacy but I have had some hard enough times to make me consider whether life was really worth it. But stuff has gotten significantly better for me and I'm sure they will for you too soon enough. We all go through some tough times at different points in our life, we just have to remember that they will get better. And I know that can be annoying to hear when things aren't going well but I hope it helps anyway.

I'm not sure if this is exactly topically relevant, but I'm not sure where this would go either, so...

Has anyone else kept tabs on the job market and positions for your potential career in the distant future? Boston College just posted my dream job. To be honest, I wasn't sure if my dream job even existed. 

I'm insanely jealous that it wasn't posted in 3 years. :D 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

I'm not sure if this is exactly topically relevant, but I'm not sure where this would go either, so...

Has anyone else kept tabs on the job market and positions for your potential career in the distant future? Boston College just posted my dream job. To be honest, I wasn't sure if my dream job even existed. 

I do this all the time! I think its a good idea to see whether you will be able to get a job. I feel that way all the time, too bad they don't realize how big of a deal we are :-P.

2 hours ago, Neist said:

Yep! I saw a perfect postdoc position in my dream lab the other day and made a mental note to remember that something like that does exist! I get weekly emails of job postings in my field and it's insanely useful to see what they are looking for in candidates, so I can shape my PhD time to make myself fit the profile needed. I like thinking ahead...

Night 5 in my new home and I totally just freaked myself out!  This place is so much bigger than I'm used to and given the weird layout I just noticed how dark it is.  Like I just walked down the hallway into the kitchen to get a snack and realized I can't see a thing!  There's no lighting on the patio to shine in through the windows either and the only inside lighting are the super bright overhead lights that make me feel like I'm in a hospital.  So here I am freaking out about all the hiding places in the back of my home and pondering dim lighting options that won't run up the electric bill or burn the place down.  I don't even have a flashlight!  Yep sucking at this adult thing right now lol.  

@MarineBluePsy - you could get some of those stick-on press-button lights that run on batteries. I've seen people use them a lot for dark places like closets. Or small LED night lights. LEDs are really low power, so you shouldn't even notice a difference on your electric bill.

9 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Night 5 in my new home and I totally just freaked myself out!  This place is so much bigger than I'm used to and given the weird layout I just noticed how dark it is.  Like I just walked down the hallway into the kitchen to get a snack and realized I can't see a thing!  There's no lighting on the patio to shine in through the windows either and the only inside lighting are the super bright overhead lights that make me feel like I'm in a hospital.  So here I am freaking out about all the hiding places in the back of my home and pondering dim lighting options that won't run up the electric bill or burn the place down.  I don't even have a flashlight!  Yep sucking at this adult thing right now lol.  

If you go to a hardware store, or even walmarts and targets, most modern night lights are led, low energy consumption. And they make lots of them that point down at the ground, so the light kinda reflects off the floor to make it even more dim. We have a couple of them in our apartment and I couldn't live without them. 

6 hours ago, pterosaur said:

@MarineBluePsy - you could get some of those stick-on press-button lights that run on batteries. I've seen people use them a lot for dark places like closets. Or small LED night lights. LEDs are really low power, so you shouldn't even notice a difference on your electric bill.

Hehehe I remember when those press button lights were first on infomercial and everyone thought they were sooooo stupid lol.  Totally a great idea and probably inexpensive.

20 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

If you go to a hardware store, or even walmarts and targets, most modern night lights are led, low energy consumption. And they make lots of them that point down at the ground, so the light kinda reflects off the floor to make it even more dim. We have a couple of them in our apartment and I couldn't live without them. 

And I was just in Target!  Well now I have an excuse to go back.

And in my late night panic I also found this http://www.glow.co.uk/boon-glo-nightlight.html

2 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Hehehe I remember when those press button lights were first on infomercial and everyone thought they were sooooo stupid lol.  Totally a great idea and probably inexpensive.

And I was just in Target!  Well now I have an excuse to go back.

And in my late night panic I also found this http://www.glow.co.uk/boon-glo-nightlight.html

Lol.... i have the boon glo light. I am actually selling it on craigslist right now, as I don't really use it as much as I used to. 

It's a pretty cool little light thing, and the rotating colors are cool. My cats try to swat the balls off though. 

Speaking of cats....

I woke up at 2:30 in the morning, having to pee. I woke up with a face full of fur and a cat draped completely limp over my arms, with her head hanging off the side of my arm. I moved a little, and she didn't move. Then I moved a lot.... and she still didn't move... just remained completely limp. Then I pet her head somewhat aggressively (she likes that for some reason) and she still just laid there. I realized that I couldn't see or feel her breathing. 

Then I thought... Oh my god, she died. As I almost violently shook her whole body back and forth...she woke up, super pissed that I interrupted her apparently very deep sleep.

And that is the story of why I am now suffering the after effects of a panic attack I had over 5 hours ago.  

8 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@sjoh197  Good lord how can a cat sleep that deeply?!  And you'll be ok soon right?  I'm guess there are things you do to normalize after a panic attack.

I think the kitty is stressed about all the moving boxes, and crap all around the house, since we're moving in 5 days. She's been sleeping a lot and acting funny. 

I've actually had my anxiety really under control the last few months, but a potentially dead cat on my arm is certainly panic inducing lol. I get panic attacks a lot. I used to get them more right after my daughter passed away, but they have subsided over the years. I'm a pro at dealing with them mentally, and mostly they are just physically uncomfortable. 

Although I do still get one every time I go to the dentist. When the epinephrine in the novicaine shots hits the blood stream, it causes an adrenaline rush that mimics a panic attacks, which then triggers one. Bunch of shit really lol. 

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

I think the kitty is stressed about all the moving boxes, and crap all around the house, since we're moving in 5 days. She's been sleeping a lot and acting funny. 

I've actually had my anxiety really under control the last few months, but a potentially dead cat on my arm is certainly panic inducing lol. I get panic attacks a lot. I used to get them more right after my daughter passed away, but they have subsided over the years. I'm a pro at dealing with them mentally, and mostly they are just physically uncomfortable. 

Although I do still get one every time I go to the dentist. When the epinephrine in the novicaine shots hits the blood stream, it causes an adrenaline rush that mimics a panic attacks, which then triggers one. Bunch of shit really lol. 

I'm sorry about the panic attacks, thats awful! Sooo apparently I'm allergic to Texas ha. Or at least its climate/bugs. We have this pretty yard but its so hot here (100s), but it does get cooler at night. But then the bugs come out and eat me. Sigh, if only I had a giant plastic ball I can stay in.

3 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Yikes that is a lot of triggers.  Hopefully you're feeling a little better now and the cat is happily napping somewhere.

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I'm sorry about the panic attacks, thats awful! Sooo apparently I'm allergic to Texas ha. Or at least its climate/bugs. We have this pretty yard but its so hot here (100s), but it does get cooler at night. But then the bugs come out and eat me. Sigh, if only I had a giant plastic ball I can stay in.

Could it be something you're wearing....laundry detergent, soap, lotion, etc?  Regardless if there is a natural foods store nearby they usually stock several options for dealing with bugs and bug bites.  Trial and error :)  

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

What part of TX? Are you used to living somewhere hot and humid (or dry depending on where you are)? The heat often causes people to have some form of heat rash and itch initially... and there is an overwhelming amount of pollen in the more humid regions... causing really bad allergies if you aren't used to them. Also... there are a lot of bugs. Period. Always. All year long. You have to wear repellent and invest in mosquito repelling plants and candles. 

I prefer to wear the nylon hiking/fishing button up long sleeve shirts when I go out at night. They keep you from getting bit, and aren't super hot, since they're nylon. 

Also... I get pretty bad allergies when I'm outside, but inside keep changing you air filter, and maybe invest in an air purifier as well. 

@MarineBluePsy Nope the only thing that has changed is where I'm living now. Back in radford, I didn't have any problems. @sjoh197 I moved from raford VA to Lubbock. It was pretty humid back in radford. Now its very dry and extremely dusty. I was hoping they would die in the fall. Good news is that I found the perfect apartment so if my bf moves long distance I would feel safe/comfortable there. We are planning on moving there when our lease ends. Need to get a 2nd floor though!