We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Effloresce Ah ok! Hopefully you ate in the square in Roanoke. So much good food there! Glad you were able to move in so quickly. You make us look like we moved at a glacial pace :-P.

haha, it wasn't without some bumps though! when we got to the apartment complex, the leasing office was closed...at 2 pm..when posted hours are 9-5. My roommate was at orientation so we had to wait until she got home at around 4:30.

But everything's kinda okay now!

Just now, Effloresce said:

haha, it wasn't without some bumps though! when we got to the apartment complex, the leasing office was closed...at 2 pm..when posted hours are 9-5. My roommate was at orientation so we had to wait until she got home at around 4:30.

But everything's kinda okay now!

Ah that is kinda weird, maybe they were showing people apartments? I've known several complexes that lock up their leasing office if only one person is on duty. Hopefully the humidity wasn't too bad. Thats one thing I don't miss about the east! And good news is that you just missed festival season, that would make traffic a nightmare!

1 hour ago, pterosaur said:

@hippyscientist - your dad wondered if something would be open on a Sunday? You're in 'Murica now - home of the 24 hour Walmart! You'll never go hungry again! But you might get mowed down in Walmart by someone on those electric mobility scooters.

Especially on the 1st of the month. It's surprising how many retirees on social security go shopping late at night. :) 

Sounds like everyone is doing well! My classes start the 22nd, and things are starting to build steam! I'm helping one of my most like-interested faculty members with a project before the semester starts. Fun stuff. There's two long days of ethics orientations starting tomorrow, and I have another two long days of TA training next week. Peppered throughout is a mix of random "welcome to graduate life at the university" stuff.

Should keep me busy.

6 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

If you are at a 24-hour walmart, I hope yours has a self-checkout! Ithaca has a teeny Walmart but no self-checkouts so you stand in line for 30-45 minutes.... GAH

I miss self-checkouts. A lot of places around my house got rid of them because people kept stealing items while using them. 

Speaking of stores, I'm glad to be able to go to Target again! It went bankrupt in Canada a while ago. There's even a Super Target near my university!

2 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

I miss self-checkouts. A lot of places around my house got rid of them because people kept stealing items while using them. 

Speaking of stores, I'm glad to be able to go to Target again! It went bankrupt in Canada a while ago. There's even a Super Target near my university!

We don't have any self checkouts at the stores around here... but my grocery store is always so well manned that I never wait in line more than 5 minutes anyways... so I don't mind. Lol. 

4 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

Omg I live across from a target and it's the greatest thing ever!!! I foresee many trips there in my future. 

Target is kinda meh to me. I'll go if someone else wants to but I usually shop at walmart since its cheaper. Now TJMax is my jam and I love that place. @sjoh197 I'm sure the cats will get over it soon, like 5 years?:D And I'm debating whether I should get a part-time on campus library job. I'm taking 9 credits and they all end at 12 in the afternoon. Bf says I should wait to see how my classes go first. He's right but I like having a job/not having to rely on my parents. Plus it will keep me busy/not be lonely since bf will be couple hours away. But I don't want to get too overwhelm. What do you guys think?

3 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Target is kinda meh to me. I'll go if someone else wants to but I usually shop at walmart since its cheaper. Now TJMax is my jam and I love that place. @sjoh197 I'm sure the cats will get over it soon, like 5 years?:D And I'm debating whether I should get a part-time on campus library job. I'm taking 9 credits and they all end at 12 in the afternoon. Bf says I should wait to see how my classes go first. He's right but I like having a job/not having to rely on my parents. Plus it will keep me busy/not be lonely since bf will be couple hours away. But I don't want to get too overwhelm. What do you guys think?

9 credits as a graduate student? Maybe double check, but here two courses is considered "full time" for a graduate student. Maybe at least give it a few months, I'm going to agree with your bf...

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

9 credits as a graduate student? Maybe double check, but here two courses is considered "full time" for a graduate student. Maybe at least give it a few months, I'm going to agree with your bf...

Yeah its for a masters and each class is 3 credits. My schedule is Tuesday-Thursday 8:15-11:50 and Wednesday/Friday 10:30-11:50. Its a terminal masters degree. I've received fellowships that don't require any work. Yeah he is the smarter one between the two of us! I guess I just got so used to having a job. I've built up my savings so there's no pressure at least.

3 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah its for a masters and each class is 3 credits. My schedule is Tuesday-Thursday 8:15-11:50 and Wednesday/Friday 10:30-11:50. Its a terminal masters degree. I've received fellowships that don't require any work. Yeah he is the smarter one between the two of us! I guess I just got so used to having a job. I've built up my savings so there's no pressure at least.

The thing is that you have no idea how much you will need to work outside of class on coursework as well as doing research (or whatever is required for your degree). 

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

The thing is that you have no idea how much you will need to work outside of class on coursework as well as doing research (or whatever is required for your degree). 

Yeah I have no idea really! I would either do a masters thesis or an internship, but that won't happen until my second year. So a grand piano won't hit me but instead a baby grand piano.

Anyone ever shop at Aldi? I love Aldi. It's owned and operated by the brother of the owner and operator of Trader Joes. It's very, very cheap, but the food is surprisingly decent.

12 minutes ago, Neist said:

Anyone ever shop at Aldi? I love Aldi. It's owned and operated by the brother of the owner and operator of Trader Joes. It's very, very cheap, but the food is surprisingly decent.

I didn't know it was related to Trader Joe's like that, but I do like Aldi. My only gripe is that their stores are always pretty grimy, and the checkout lines super long. 

4 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I didn't know it was related to Trader Joe's like that, but I do like Aldi. My only gripe is that their stores are always pretty grimy, and the checkout lines super long. 

You should look at the ingredients on their products. A lot of their food is vegan, non GMO, and preservative free. I get chicken nuggets there for my daughter (in the shape of DINOSAURS!!!), and they are hormone and preservative free.

I agree though that the stores are a bit cramped, but its sort of the Allegiant Air of grocery stores, so one can't expect much. :) 

24 minutes ago, Neist said:

i never saw an aldi until i moved down to nashville! i think i'm going to check it out when i go grocery shopping. :)

16 minutes ago, Neist said:

You should look at the ingredients on their products. A lot of their food is vegan, non GMO, and preservative free. I get chicken nuggets there for my daughter (in the shape of DINOSAURS!!!), and they are hormone and preservative free.

I agree though that the stores are a bit cramped, but its sort of the Allegiant Air of grocery stores, so one can't expect much. :) 

Wow really? At Aldi? I'm pretty surprised by that.

Agghh... speaking of Allegiant... my hometown serves Allegiant and so does one of the airports near Ithaca, but THEY DON'T FLY TO EACH OTHER. I had a seven-hour layover in Detroit the other day because of this nonsense!!

9 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I've never heard of an aidi before. Is it like whole foods?

It's a very cheap grocery store, but of slightly higher quality than a normal cheap grocery store. They typically only carry their own brand of products, and you can't necessarily guarantee that they'll always have the same products when you go. Also, you have to pay a quarter to use their shopping carts (which you get back if you return the carts) and have to bag your own groceries with your own bags. 

For example, their brand of whole chickens that we cook (which are also hormone free) are around $6 each? Their canned goods (which are unfortunately are not advertised BPA free, but are typically canned in stainless steel cans) are about $.50 a can at my store.

@Effloresce You should! At least visit one. I admit though, they aren't for everyone.

Speaking of cheap airlines, I've never actually been able to use one. I have been tempted to drive to Dallas to use Spirit, though. Allegiant flies out of Oklahoma City, but only two three or four cities. Never been of much use.

For my cheap shopping I usually hit up BJ's (think Sam's Club, but Target instead of Walmart). There you can get a whole bird for $5, 50 granola bars for $13, etc. etc. etc. Shopping wholesale is my weakness now - I have boxes and boxes of food hidden away in my apartment.

Plus, their cheap gas takes my mind off the fact that gas on the east coast is SO much more expensive than Illinois!