We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

So I have officially left the Airbnb and am in my new place.  The ac totally broke, but the landlord had a repair guy here in an hour.  Quite impressed.  The layout is odd so it'll take some adjusting to figure out where to put things and what furnishings will be best, but overall I think I will be ok here.

@Danger_Zone Congrats!  Glad it worked out and just in time too.  If you haven't already thought of this take photos of your new place to document what is and isn't there, any existing damage, and the overall condition of the place.  Not crappy cell phone photos (unless of course you have a very nice phone), but actual camera photos (if you can't borrow one most major drugstores still sell disposables) that can be enlarged if necessary.  Do this again when you move out, that way if your landlord tries to say you trashed the place you have proof otherwise.

I've been away busy sorting everything out, but you guys it's starting to happen! We're moving into apartments, starting research projects, getting TA assignments. Going back to December this stage was a mere dream, so congratulations everyone - we're here!!! 

I'm starting to pack up my 3 suitcases to move. Less than a week to go til I say bye to the UK! 

@Effloresce thank you! :)

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Thanks! It was way more stressful than I thought it would be. I called so many places only to find out there were no apartments, and apartments I made appointments with wanted were taken by the time I got there. I was worried there would actually be nothing left as it's too late to really apply to housing on-campus.

3 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

So I have officially left the Airbnb and am in my new place.  The ac totally broke, but the landlord had a repair guy here in an hour.  Quite impressed.  The layout is odd so it'll take some adjusting to figure out where to put things and what furnishings will be best, but overall I think I will be ok here.

@Danger_Zone Congrats!  Glad it worked out and just in time too.  If you haven't already thought of this take photos of your new place to document what is and isn't there, any existing damage, and the overall condition of the place.  Not crappy cell phone photos (unless of course you have a very nice phone), but actual camera photos (if you can't borrow one most major drugstores still sell disposables) that can be enlarged if necessary.  Do this again when you move out, that way if your landlord tries to say you trashed the place you have proof otherwise.

That's exciting! I hope you enjoy your new place. :)

That's a great idea, and I'll have to make sure to do it. I used to take pictures when I moved out of student housing because my suitemates were always.. Untidy to say the least, and you could be charged quite a bit if you left the place messy.

@hippyscientist Congrats! That's really exciting. Hope everything goes smoothly for you! 

@rhombusbombus  Nope not at Penn State.  What I meant by awkward is none of the rooms are square, rectangle, or any other normal shape.  For example, one room has 7 sides but only 2 of the sides are the same length.  All of the other sides have varying lengths.  On the upside there is a ridiculous amount of wall outlets, probably because the weird shape makes placing furniture and electronics challenging.  And the windows are all near the ceiling which are at least 8 feet high lol.  It gives a nice skylight effect in terms of lighting and likely deters burglars and perverts, but is weird if I just want fresh air lol.

@hippyscientist  Inspect your suitcase wheels regularly.  I totally broke one of mine while transporting my stuff the other day.  

32 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@rhombusbombus  Nope not at Penn State.  What I meant by awkward is none of the rooms are square, rectangle, or any other normal shape.  For example, one room has 7 sides but only 2 of the sides are the same length.  All of the other sides have varying lengths.  On the upside there is a ridiculous amount of wall outlets, probably because the weird shape makes placing furniture and electronics challenging.  And the windows are all near the ceiling which are at least 8 feet high lol.  It gives a nice skylight effect in terms of lighting and likely deters burglars and perverts, but is weird if I just want fresh air lol.

@hippyscientist  Inspect your suitcase wheels regularly.  I totally broke one of mine while transporting my stuff the other day.  

That room sounds awkward! I am well and truly comfortable with travelling - trust me those suitcases are properly organised and sorted and fully functional! 

My place is old the landlord/layout are great. We had to seal up a lot of holes though. We saw/killed one cockroach and I've been paranoid ever since. I greatly dislike bugs and it freaks me out to see them in my home. Hopefully by sealing up the holes and constantly spraying bug killer, there won't be anymore incidents. The landlord is the best we have ever had. He has been prompt and has had things like the water heater replaced within a day. @Pink Fuzzy Bunny Sorry about the dog, that's lame! So far our neighbors have been quite. One complaint is that there's no outlet in the bathroom, so I have to blow dry my hair in the second bedroom.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

No outlet in the bathroom? Is it an older place? That seems really strange.

My boyfriend's mom doesn't have an outlet in her bathroom. But it is a pretty old house so maybe that is something some older bathrooms don't have. 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

No outlet in the bathroom? Is it an older place? That seems really strange.

Yeah it was built in 1962! I actually didn't realize it until I went to plug in my blow dryer. @Danger_ZoneI think it is an old house thing. It doesn't really bother me too much. So my second bedroom is storage/me blowing my hair place ha.

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

My neighbors got a dog and it has been barking literally nonstop for the past 12 hours :'(

Call the authorities.  There are most likely noise ordinances in your area and with enough complaints they'll have to do something.  I get that dogs bark, but that is ridiculous.

4 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

That room sounds awkward! I am well and truly comfortable with travelling - trust me those suitcases are properly organised and sorted and fully functional! 

Yeah I think the 7 sided room will be my office and the 5 sided room will be my bedroom.  The living room has 4 sides, but one is a weird curve and another is weirdly short.

3 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

My place is old the landlord/layout are great. We had to seal up a lot of holes though. We saw/killed one cockroach and I've been paranoid ever since. I greatly dislike bugs and it freaks me out to see them in my home. Hopefully by sealing up the holes and constantly spraying bug killer, there won't be anymore incidents. The landlord is the best we have ever had. He has been prompt and has had things like the water heater replaced within a day. @Pink Fuzzy Bunny Sorry about the dog, that's lame! So far our neighbors have been quite. One complaint is that there's no outlet in the bathroom, so I have to blow dry my hair in the second bedroom.

Omg bugs!  I too have been going on a bug murdering rampage, but thankfully nothing as serious as cockroaches.  If I saw one of those I'd be calling an exterminator and checking into a hotel.  And how much did I just run and check my bathroom for outlets?  LOL!  There are 2 thank god.

13 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Call the authorities.  There are most likely noise ordinances in your area and with enough complaints they'll have to do something.  I get that dogs bark, but that is ridiculous.

Yeah I think the 7 sided room will be my office and the 5 sided room will be my bedroom.  The living room has 4 sides, but one is a weird curve and another is weirdly short.

Omg bugs!  I too have been going on a bug murdering rampage, but thankfully nothing as serious as cockroaches.  If I saw one of those I'd be calling an exterminator and checking into a hotel.  And how much did I just run and check my bathroom for outlets?  LOL!  There are 2 thank god.

Yeah I talked to several people at my internship and they say cockroaches around here are active at night and come out after it rains. Our landlord also said he sprayed the place before we moved in. We haven't seen anything after we seal everything up, hope it stays that way! I swear when we finally get our own house that thing will have zero cracks. I know I took the outlets for granted! Luckily I don't have too many things that need an outlet. I only have a wand and a blow dryer. I barely use the wand.

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah it was built in 1962! I actually didn't realize it until I went to plug in my blow dryer. @Danger_ZoneI think it is an old house thing. It doesn't really bother me too much. So my second bedroom is storage/me blowing my hair place ha.

It doesn't bother me earlier, I just sometimes use a hair dryer and straightening iron. It was pretty strange at first though!

2 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

It doesn't bother me earlier, I just sometimes use a hair dryer and straightening iron. It was pretty strange at first though!

Yeah I know what you mean! I thought I was somehow missing it and felt like an idiot ha

8 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

My roommate is officially weird.

I was making my lunch at 1:30 am bc i couldnt sleep. And she comes out of her room, walks around the living room and tries to have a conversatiin about my cucumbercucumber . Lady, it's 1:30, i dont wanna talk to anyone.  I wouldn't even be making my lunch now if i could sleep. 

Shes not very good at picking up social cues. 

I feel like such a whiner.

_________

On the cool side, i went for a hike and only thought about dying 4 times! And ive got some travelig coming up for my project. Granted its all in state but its 3-4 seperate trips betwwen now and october!

lol, my old roommate and i have had some 2 am conversations..i think i had gotten up to make fish sticks at 2 am and she hung out with me for a bit in the kitchen while i was doing it. but we were good friends so it wasn't odd.

also all your trips sound exciting!! :)

it's now officially one week until i'll be in nashville, and i just purchased my parking pass for the year. it's all coming together :D 

@Effloresce It'd be less weird if we were good friends, but we've only been living together a little under 2 months. I think she's just trying to force a friendship and I don't like that. I'm sure this is going to be an instance where I like her more when I don't live with her.

HOW EXCITING! By the end of August will everyone be at their respective schools? THE FINAL STRETCH!

@rhombusbombus I'll try and give your roommate some slack. Yeah that was weird. But they most likely didn't really know what to say since its 1 am and they want to be friendly. Or they may be a sleep walker? I've done things like that multiple times and I was actually asleep. I wouldn't have known until the next day when my boyfriend told me. Maybe its because I'm awful at social cues?

@Need Coffee in an IV she was def awake. i asked her what she needed and she said "nothing. i just heard you were awake." she could have stayed in her room since she didn't do anything but stand there and then go right back. it was just odd.

So I'm compiling months worth of data in excel. my brain is melting!

1 minute ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Need Coffee in an IV she was def awake. i asked her what she needed and she said "nothing. i just heard you were awake." she could have stayed in her room since she didn't do anything but stand there and then go right back. it was just odd.

So I'm compiling months worth of data in excel. my brain is melting!

Ah well thats kinda awkward! Hopefully you guys mesh better after awhile. And my brain would melt too, just imagine the scene from Indiana Jones when the nazis faces are melting. I feel that one after just reading one chapter when it comes to textbooks.

@rhombusbombus Ah that sounds like the perfect nap situation but the worst at being productive! I have to have a cup of coffee with me so I don't fall asleep ha. I'm reading a book that's about grant writing/seeking. Its full of info so that's a good/bad thing :D. I feel like gaston at times "how can you read this without pictures?!"

first day of orientation is august 16th! my roommate made a good point..there's a bus that runs to campus directly from our apartment complex which is free for students. but for me, it's a trek across campus cause the med center is all the way to the back, and since i'm uh..slow at getting ready cause I neeeed my makeup, I can foresee issues with getting to campus on time.

but at the same time, the parking pass is $50 a month... also, driving used to make me SO anxious, but i actually love it

Edited by Effloresce

10 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@rhombusbombus Ah that sounds like the perfect nap situation but the worst at being productive! I have to have a cup of coffee with me so I don't fall asleep ha. I'm reading a book that's about grant writing/seeking. Its full of info so that's a good/bad thing :D. I feel like gaston at times "how can you read this without pictures?!"

What book is it? I want to avoid it but I feel like I should learn about grant writing eventually, haha. 

8 hours ago, Effloresce said:

first day of orientation is august 16th! my roommate made a good point..there's a bus that runs to campus directly from our apartment complex which is free for students. but for me, it's a trek across campus cause the med center is all the way to the back, and since i'm uh..slow at getting ready cause I neeeed my makeup, I can foresee issues with getting to campus on time.

but at the same time, the parking pass is $50 a month... also, driving used to make me SO anxious, but i actually love it

Good luck! The mandatory TA orientation starts the 17th for me but I have some other teaching related ones plus grad student and payroll orientations (so many of them!) 

It's nice if you can catch a bus right to campus though. :) I still need to look into bus routes..

6 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

It's nice if you can catch a bus right to campus though. :) I still need to look into bus routes..

Buses to campus rock.  After a 5 min walk I hopped a bus and was on campus in 10 minutes.