We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

On 7/16/2016 at 0:06 PM, MarineBluePsy said:

Good grief men are gross.  There are even more guests here and they're all couples.  I'm drowning in couples and there are underwear clad men and shirtless men everywhere.  I never thought I'd be sick of the sight of not properly clothed men but oh how I am.

One of my suitemates used to have her boyfriend over all the time, and one time I came downstairs and he was cooking eggs in his underwear. I said hi rather awkwardly. My suitemate could not stop apologizing on his behalf. :-P

57 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Whenever my mom brings up that I'm leaving in a week it sounds like she's going to cry. I know this is how parents are when their kids first move out but it still feels awful!

My mother was in pissed off denial after I moved, for like 6-7 months. I always told her that I was moving away the minute I graduated... and she never believed me. And then I moved before I had even graduated... which just pissed her off even more lol. 

1 hour ago, Danger_Zone said:

Whenever my mom brings up that I'm leaving in a week it sounds like she's going to cry. I know this is how parents are when their kids first move out but it still feels awful!

Are you the youngest? Oldest? In the middle? Only child?

I found that the relationship between me and my parents improved drastically when I moved out. 

3 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

My mom hasn't even noticed I've left lmao!

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Are you the youngest? Oldest? In the middle? Only child?

I found that the relationship between me and my parents improved drastically when I moved out. 

I'm the oldest of 3. I'm the first to leave so I guess they are taking it particularly hard... also the fact that I am moving far away. -_-

I'm hoping it will improve our relationship as well, though. A house of parents with their adult children makes things more crowded and stressful.

And I've finally got settled in at Lubbock. I'm interning at a local science museum and our rental house has been officially cleaned! I'm hoping to get a job I applied for or receive a paid position at the museum I'm interning at. I'm planning on asking at the end of my internship so they can see how awesome I am! :-P Of course I need to actually know people's names/correct pronunciation. I felt awkward the first couple of days but I think I'm fitting in nicely. Or at least I hope....I'm also covered in 10 bug bites when I was outside for 5 mins. I really hate nature sometimes. @Danger_Zone They will get use to it! I've never been homesick but my family was never actually home lol. My relationship also improved when I left the house. Funny how distance does that! @sjoh197 I'm not a huge fans of diamonds, I kinda find them boring. Yay carbon. I like aquamarines too! Bf and I have started getting the engagement questions, we would like to buy a house first.

3 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

My mother was in pissed off denial after I moved, for like 6-7 months. I always told her that I was moving away the minute I graduated... and she never believed me. And then I moved before I had even graduated... which just pissed her off even more lol. 

My mom was also in denial... and then somewhere around the 3-month mark she accepted it, sent me cookies, and turned my old bedroom into a cat room :D

4 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

My mom was also in denial... and then somewhere around the 3-month mark she accepted it, sent me cookies, and turned my old bedroom into a cat room :D

My parents have kept my room the same stuff wise but they rearranged the furniture. I guess they didn't like the "flow" of my room haha

10 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

My mom and my best friends mom keep crying (separately, they've never met) about me leaving. I don't really see the big deal though. My mom is used to me leaving, I mean I moved out at 17 and have been back and forth fleetingly ever since. It's only a 5-7 hour flight which isn't that far and it's not like I'm dropping off the face of the planet. We have Skype/Facetime/texting/emails/whatsapp etc., I just can't quite see the big deal. And she's coming to stay at Thanksgiving so it's just like an extended holiday! Ugh. 

18 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

And I've finally got settled in at Lubbock. I'm interning at a local science museum and our rental house has been officially cleaned! I'm hoping to get a job I applied for or receive a paid position at the museum I'm interning at. I'm planning on asking at the end of my internship so they can see how awesome I am! :-P Of course I need to actually know people's names/correct pronunciation. I felt awkward the first couple of days but I think I'm fitting in nicely. Or at least I hope....I'm also covered in 10 bug bites when I was outside for 5 mins. I really hate nature sometimes. @Danger_Zone They will get use to it! I've never been homesick but my family was never actually home lol. My relationship also improved when I left the house. Funny how distance does that! @sjoh197 I'm not a huge fans of diamonds, I kinda find them boring. Yay carbon. I like aquamarines too! Bf and I have started getting the engagement questions, we would like to buy a house first.

Good luck with your job applications, and the internship!! :)

I guess I've had the opposite situation. My parents are kind of always around, I was never  left at home by myself growing up. I got my privacy once I went off to university, but I ended up coming home a lot anyway because I hated my roommates.

@hippyscientist I don't see the big deal either, but initially my parents were acting like I was going out of my way to get out of the house and get away from them. I don't know if me moving far away is making them insecure or what.

@Danger_Zone Thanks! Yeah your family experience does sound very different. But even my parents say they miss me, I jokingly say I see them more as an adult than I did as a kid. I think as we go off and become adults, it hits them. As undergrads, there is an expectation that we will come and visit. At least during winter break/summer break.

today was going great UNTIL...

a neighbor called the cops while my roommate and i were gone bc of dog barking. I'm working on my dog's barking issue, but he has some serious seperation anxiety and we've only been here not even 1.5 months.

If i can't get this under control, he might have to go back home.

and my effing car got scratched

So today was not a bad day.  I think I found the perfect new home after a thorough search.  With every rental I find there's always something I have to sacrifice and if this place works out it'll be having a tub.  I love a good bath and certainly have my share of tub goodies, but this place literally has everything on my must have list except that.  Safe location near enough to campus to take one bus or walk?  Check.  Off street parking?  Check.  Walking distance to neighborhood eateries, bars, and a drugstore?  Check.  Only one attached neighbor?  Check.  Washer/dryer hookups?  Check.  Gas stove?  Check.  Central heat/air?  Check.  Cable/internet ready?  Check.  Spacious?  Check.  Extremely affordable by myself?  Check.  Wants a long term tenant?  Check.  Non pervy landlord that will actually fix things?  Check.  I'm gonna miss having a tub.  How come there isn't a place where I can go and rent a tub by the hour?

On 7/18/2016 at 4:35 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Danger_Zone Thanks! Yeah your family experience does sound very different. But even my parents say they miss me, I jokingly say I see them more as an adult than I did as a kid. I think as we go off and become adults, it hits them. As undergrads, there is an expectation that we will come and visit. At least during winter break/summer break.

I bet that's because for undergrads many parents are happy to cook meals, do some laundry, and maybe offer some money, yet grad students will likely get eye rolls.  

1 hour ago, rhombusbombus said:

today was going great UNTIL...

a neighbor called the cops while my roommate and i were gone bc of dog barking. I'm working on my dog's barking issue, but he has some serious seperation anxiety and we've only been here not even 1.5 months.

If i can't get this under control, he might have to go back home.

and my effing car got scratched

Yikes!  Hopefully you find a solution for your dog otherwise your neighbors will push the issue.  You don't think they scratched your car do you?

Edited by MarineBluePsy

@MarineBluePsy i dont think my car was scratched on purpose, but it's still annoying. 

I dont know what I'm going to do. It's not a frequent thing bc he mostlysleeps when im gone. Maybe he saw something. Ive set up a skype account so i can check in on him throughout the day. It's more frustrating bc we havent been here long so of course he might still be anxious. And there are other dogs that bark, so why haven't they been reported (to my knowledge)?

@MarineBluePsy This has definitely solidified my desire to move at the end of the lease. I love my apartment and the complex but for my dog's sake,  i need to find something with fewer neighbors to annoy. I'm seriously looking into renting a house now. 

Also, i think he needs to be an only dog. My roommate says he gets vocal when he hears her and her dog through my door. 

I just... have to fix this. 

1 minute ago, rhombusbombus said:

Update: my parents want him back. So he's gonna go home until i move next year. 

Apartment living can be really hard on dogs... and even more hard on neighbors if your dog is loud. We have some dogs at our complex, and most of them are tiny little dogs... but there are a few "regular" sized dogs that have made such a racket that they turned me from a dog "liker" to almost a dog "hater". ( But not really, I do still like well behaved non-bark-all-the-time dogs).

There will always be those assholes who will call the cops on you instead of trying to get the apartment manager to sort things out. And it will add unneeded stress on both you and the dog. 

Well... I've been on the edge decision wise over using public transit, or driving to the university... mostly because over time, the cost would be about the same. However, I just found out that the uni just started a program that subsidizes your metro fare, giving you $30 a month on your metro card, or about 20 days of 1 ride there and 1 ride home, so long as you join the program. I think that might change things a little. 

Also, I talked to someone there, and they said that the particular bus I would have to use is pretty safe. Since a lot of the area around the uni is really sketchy, I don't want a bus that goes through those areas Lol. 

Yeah. Luckily my parents kind of wanted him back. That gives me time to figure out my schedule and find a good place for us. 

But now im with my roommate for literally no reason (except to save money).

So youre gonna do bus pass? Leaning more toward bus pass?

22 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Yeah. Luckily my parents kind of wanted him back. That gives me time to figure out my schedule and find a good place for us. 

But now im with my roommate for literally no reason (except to save money).

So youre gonna do bus pass? Leaning more toward bus pass?

Yeah, I was mostly hesitant due to safety concerns. But the area I am going through is pretty safe. I have to walk a half mile from my bus station to my apartment. About a 20 minute walk. And I didn't really want to do that after dark (like 5:30 in the winter lol) But I'm going to have mace, and a taser, and a knife, and a My kitty personal key chain lol. 

Anyone else started working at their university already? Immediately after my acceptance, I had to move to begin work as a research assistant over the summer. I have been working a littlw over a month now. Barely had any time to settle in or even think about what it will be like to be a grad. 

3 minutes ago, ETRXRock said:

Anyone else started working at their university already? Immediately after my acceptance, I had to move to begin work as a research assistant over the summer. I have been working a littlw over a month now. Barely had any time to settle in or even think about what it will be like to be a grad. 

Yes, I did that! I moved about two and a half months ago (WHOA... it sounds like so long ago now...) I really think it was a good decision at least for me. It's been great to meet grad students outside of my cohort, to get used to the town without hordes of undergrads everywhere, and to get paid :D It's nice to be able to begin the stress of graduate work without also the stress of being in a new town!

3 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Yeah, I was mostly hesitant due to safety concerns. But the area I am going through is pretty safe. I have to walk a half mile from my bus station to my apartment. About a 20 minute walk. And I didn't really want to do that after dark (like 5:30 in the winter lol) But I'm going to have mace, and a taser, and a knife, and a My kitty personal key chain lol. 

I drive to the nearest bus station and then take the bus from there. For me, it's a mall. Is that an option for you, at least in the winter? 

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny