We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Ive made pretty good friends with my lab. We went to a firefly festival over the weekend and drank a ton of beer. It was glorious- i even took my dog. 

My roommate and i are getting along a little better, i still think im gonna move in a year tho. 

Im trying to find the hutzpa to go whitewater rafting through the school. Maybe i should do paddleboarding first

10 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Man I'm so envious of you guys not still in school. Yesterday my mom had a big car crash, she's fine but the car isn't. Thankfully it happened only a few miles away from my house so she stayed with me last night (I only have a double bed and no couch so it was nice and cosy). Needless to say neither of us got much sleep. Then I woke up to news I still had to edit my data for my research. Like guys, I'm moving in 5 weeks and I need to be done here in 2-3. But on the plus side, my intro and methods are written (pending a paragraph which depends on my results). 

I ended up snapping at a friend too - she keeps trying to arrange a time with me to meet up and I just don't know yet. She doesn't seem to understand that finishing my masters, spending time with my gran (who will die before I get to come back from the US so we all know it's the last few times we get to see each other), and spending time with parents is more important than seeing her. 

I also found out I need glasses (explains all the headaches). Just lots to do. Anyone got a time turner I can borrow?

Seriously what is with all the people thinking they can make demands on your time as if you have nothing else to do?!  I'm moving this week and given the whole car accident mess I couldn't take off any time to get things sorted out.  So I'm working 2 jobs, not sleeping well, not physically at 100%, it's 100+ degrees here, and a relative of mine literally called every day this weekend bugging me about lunch, dinner, coffee, etc.  I didn't even answer the phone because previously I flat out said I'm tired, it's hot, I'm behind schedule, I ache, etc.  I saw her the weekend prior when I also didn't really have the time and I'm like seriously get a clue!    You're not helping me do anything and everything I need to do is taking me twice as long, so go away!  I already expressed that I'll be coming back later in the summer to settle some of the things I can't complete now and we can get together then.  I get wanting quality time, but I'm flat out exhausted and don't even have quality time for myself.  When is my vacation?!

Glad your mom is ok though, but wow bunking together in a small space?  That doesn't sound fun.  Hopefully she can get everything squared away and back on the road soon.

23 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

That's the thing right? I don't even have relax time! I was at home to vote and kept getting told to just relax but I couldn't. I'm really antsy about getting this research done. As soon as I have my data in my hand I can push forward. And great. My dad was meant to come out for Christmas this year and he's just said he can't make it out so yay....now I have to make friends! lol. I guess if all else fails I can head up to Maine to stay with an old friend. 

Well good luck with your research! I'm surprised you are still being expected to do so much at this point. -_- Hope you figure something out with Christmas break as well. I don't think I can convince my family to come see me so I'll probably spend Christmas with my boyfriend.

My textbook list is finally up and it sounds awesome! A lot of reading but every book sounds super interesting. I already have one of the books and was planning on reading it soon. It pays off to be a nerd sometimes huh? :P

14 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Seriously what is with all the people thinking they can make demands on your time as if you have nothing else to do?!  I'm moving this week and given the whole car accident mess I couldn't take off any time to get things sorted out.  So I'm working 2 jobs, not sleeping well, not physically at 100%, it's 100+ degrees here, and a relative of mine literally called every day this weekend bugging me about lunch, dinner, coffee, etc.  I didn't even answer the phone because previously I flat out said I'm tired, it's hot, I'm behind schedule, I ache, etc.  I saw her the weekend prior when I also didn't really have the time and I'm like seriously get a clue!    You're not helping me do anything and everything I need to do is taking me twice as long, so go away!  I already expressed that I'll be coming back later in the summer to settle some of the things I can't complete now and we can get together then.  I get wanting quality time, but I'm flat out exhausted and don't even have quality time for myself.  When is my vacation?!

Sorry you are overwhelmed, that must be tough. :( I hope you find some time to unwind. Is there any way your relative could help you out with things you need to get done?

2 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

Sorry you are overwhelmed, that must be tough. :( I hope you find some time to unwind. Is there any way your relative could help you out with things you need to get done?

It'd be nice to have this relative or any relative help, but they really can't.  They don't have money, a car, muscles to lift boxes, or even time to take off work to help with anything so I didn't bother asking.  I still haven't told everyone I'm leaving yet, but that wouldn't motivate them to suddenly lead better lives and become people I can count on.  Normally I'd just say screw it and go for a spa day, but there's no money for that at the moment and I'm not healed enough anyway. 

Instead I'm thinking it might be nice to take a vacation during winter break.  A real vacation, like out of the country somewhere.  I've never been out of the country and that along with my lack of an estate plan (it's in the works now) bothered me most after nearly dying.  I'd have to go alone, so I'm trying to work up the nerve.  But there's probably plenty of deals and things if I shop early and my funding is generous enough to allow for such a thing if I don't go to crazy.  Hmmmm.....

Aaand now it looks like I have 3 weeks to finish my masters thesis. I'm trying to do my oral exam on it before my advisor leaves the country for all of August. And I'm gone the last week of July for a conference. So shit just got real. 

5 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

It'd be nice to have this relative or any relative help, but they really can't.  They don't have money, a car, muscles to lift boxes, or even time to take off work to help with anything so I didn't bother asking.  I still haven't told everyone I'm leaving yet, but that wouldn't motivate them to suddenly lead better lives and become people I can count on.  Normally I'd just say screw it and go for a spa day, but there's no money for that at the moment and I'm not healed enough anyway. 

Instead I'm thinking it might be nice to take a vacation during winter break.  A real vacation, like out of the country somewhere.  I've never been out of the country and that along with my lack of an estate plan (it's in the works now) bothered me most after nearly dying.  I'd have to go alone, so I'm trying to work up the nerve.  But there's probably plenty of deals and things if I shop early and my funding is generous enough to allow for such a thing if I don't go to crazy.  Hmmmm.....

I bet it would make you feel a lot better if you could plan a vacation soon. Even if Christmas break is a little while off, just the act of planning a trip may help you focus on something else and give you something to look forward to. The fact that you are so busy will make the vacation feel so well deserved too. I figured I'm going to be stressed some during school, so I've already planned a vacation during Christmas break and a quick trip to Chicago during a fall break.

In the mean time, could you give yourself a free spa day? Maybe take a nice bath with some aromatherapy candles, give yourself a manicure or some nice leave in conditioner for your hair? I don't know if you're into any of these things, but I find taking a bit of time to take care of myself helps relieve some stress, even if it's something tiny.

@pterosaur Damn, all I can say is good luck! You got this.

Edited by Danger_Zone

8 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

Well good luck with your research! I'm surprised you are still being expected to do so much at this point. -_- Hope you figure something out with Christmas break as well. I don't think I can convince my family to come see me so I'll probably spend Christmas with my boyfriend.

My textbook list is finally up and it sounds awesome! A lot of reading but every book sounds super interesting. I already have one of the books and was planning on reading it soon. It pays off to be a nerd sometimes huh? :P

Forget textbooks... I just want to know what classes I'm taking.

8 hours ago, pterosaur said:

Aaand now it looks like I have 3 weeks to finish my masters thesis. I'm trying to do my oral exam on it before my advisor leaves the country for all of August. And I'm gone the last week of July for a conference. So shit just got real. 

I'm with you bud. Its stressful and scary and stressful!! Good luck :D You're not the only one doing this madness. 

So I only have one textbook to buy but it's a stats text book. I already have an excellent one from both undergrad and masters so I'm hoping I can get away with the one I have. I mean stats aren't going to change between books are they?

Can I cry? I have to write ~ 15,000 words to journal submission standard in a week AND analyse my data. All because people don't get back to me in time and when they do they have unreasonable expectations of what I can accomplish. I work blinking hard but is that even possible?!?! I'm already 2 weeks behind schedule and am running out of time to get everything done before I move. My mother is pressuring me to go on holiday before I move (I don't have the time or money), my father wants to see me, a million friends want to see me, I still need to pack up three houses and finish this stupid work. I just need more time

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

OMG it is and it snuggles like that all the time... See.

20160501_152142

Hey that's my mouse! (It was hard to notice anything other than that adorable ball of fluff, but I managed!)

Edited by Danger_Zone

After 30 hours of airline hell I finally made it.  Seriously everything that could go wrong did go wrong... delays, malfunctions, cancels, reroutes, a thunder storm, and getting stuck overnight in nowheresville.  *sigh*  My Airbnb hosts are really nice far more accommodating than I expected so I'm glad I went this route.  So now I can just focus on getting set up here.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:01 PM, pterosaur said:

You can do it!  Make a plan and cut way down on the farting around.  If you've been working diligently all this time 3 weeks is plenty to finish and then get in that oral exam.

On 6/28/2016 at 7:33 PM, Danger_Zone said:

I bet it would make you feel a lot better if you could plan a vacation soon. Even if Christmas break is a little while off, just the act of planning a trip may help you focus on something else and give you something to look forward to. The fact that you are so busy will make the vacation feel so well deserved too. I figured I'm going to be stressed some during school, so I've already planned a vacation during Christmas break and a quick trip to Chicago during a fall break.

In the mean time, could you give yourself a free spa day? Maybe take a nice bath with some aromatherapy candles, give yourself a manicure or some nice leave in conditioner for your hair? I don't know if you're into any of these things, but I find taking a bit of time to take care of myself helps relieve some stress, even if it's something tiny.

All that stuff is totally up my alley, but given my aches and pains and open wounds the only thing I can do is something for my hair.  I did see my hairstylist for the works which was nice.  I agree planning a trip would be a nice distraction and a reward so I'll put more thought into that.

On 6/29/2016 at 3:37 AM, hippyscientist said:

Can I cry? I have to write ~ 15,000 words to journal submission standard in a week AND analyse my data. All because people don't get back to me in time and when they do they have unreasonable expectations of what I can accomplish. I work blinking hard but is that even possible?!?! I'm already 2 weeks behind schedule and am running out of time to get everything done before I move. My mother is pressuring me to go on holiday before I move (I don't have the time or money), my father wants to see me, a million friends want to see me, I still need to pack up three houses and finish this stupid work. I just need more time

You can do it!  First quit answering the phone.  I found when I started ignoring anyone demanding my time and just not getting that I didn't have time to spare that it was easier to focus on what I did need to do.  Tell you mom you're going on holiday in September in America, it's called Labor Day weekend and its amazing.  People bbq, go boating, and sit around on their rears with an alcoholic beverage of choice.  And 3 houses???  How did that even happen?  As for the school stuff, just pace yourself and set a schedule.  You can do a lot more than you think if you're organized.

That cat is the cuddliest of all cuddly things. To hell with the sniffles it'll cost me. Iwannatouchit

Getting a groove settled with my internship. Three-day break now. Get to actually enjoy the city with friends and do laundry.

Grad school news: my program "buddy" will lend 2/4 required textbooks to me! It pays to ask around.

Edited by janetjanejune

On 6/27/2016 at 11:38 AM, Danger_Zone said:

@hippyscientist I know how you feel. I'm not in school anymore but I'm only going to have 3 weeks to find a place before TA orientation starts. I'm assuming it won't take that long but, it's just hard to relax knowing how busy I am going to be soon.

If Airbnb is in your area then see if any of the hosts prefer long term guests (like 4 weeks or so).  I'm doing this and am glad I did.  Now I can really learn my way around without feeling trapped in a crappy apartments lease or paying super high hotel costs.

19 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

If Airbnb is in your area then see if any of the hosts prefer long term guests (like 4 weeks or so).  I'm doing this and am glad I did.  Now I can really learn my way around without feeling trapped in a crappy apartments lease or paying super high hotel costs.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely consider it if I'm having trouble finding something for some reason. Otherwise I don't really feel comfortable living in somebody else's house, to be honest. And my boyfriend and I would have to agree on a place but he'd be leaving once class starts and I'd rather not have to go through that trouble on my own once I'm already busy with school. I'm hoping everything just goes smoothly, I guess!

43 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely consider it if I'm having trouble finding something for some reason. Otherwise I don't really feel comfortable living in somebody else's house, to be honest. And my boyfriend and I would have to agree on a place but he'd be leaving once class starts and I'd rather not have to go through that trouble on my own once I'm already busy with school. I'm hoping everything just goes smoothly, I guess!

Yeah its definitely an adjustment.  At my location the hosts live onsite and rent out 3 rooms so it feels kind of like a hostel.  Given how much I like my own space I knew this would force me to get out of the house to explore and home hunt whereas in a hotel I'd stay in and order room service for a few weeks lol.  There are locations where the hosts aren't onsite or are just on vacation or its a guest cottage or something.  Finding something for 2 people does make things a little more challenging though.

23 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Yeah its definitely an adjustment.  At my location the hosts live onsite and rent out 3 rooms so it feels kind of like a hostel.  Given how much I like my own space I knew this would force me to get out of the house to explore and home hunt whereas in a hotel I'd stay in and order room service for a few weeks lol.  There are locations where the hosts aren't onsite or are just on vacation or its a guest cottage or something.  Finding something for 2 people does make things a little more challenging though.

That's a good point. It would be an opportunity to get out more if I was in that situation. I looked into it a bit and there do seem to be some people who rent out their house while out of town, so something like that could work. I just hope I find a nice place without problems.. but I've never gotten my own place so I don't know what to expect.

6 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

That's a good point. It would be an opportunity to get out more if I was in that situation. I looked into it a bit and there do seem to be some people who rent out their house while out of town, so something like that could work. I just hope I find a nice place without problems.. but I've never gotten my own place so I don't know what to expect.

Well research it like you would a hotel.  Read all the reviews carefully, contact the hosts with any questions you have no matter how trivial they seem, study the cancellation/refund policies, and have a back up plan just in case.  I even scanned the internet for complaints about Airbnb and the bulk of what I found were hosts who had guests trash their homes or cities that were upset about not getting taxes from the income made.