We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Im able to start today and am now realizing i dont know what the hell im doing. Do i go in at 8? Id rather go in at 10! Im lost!

On a fun note, my closet is big enough for a small desk area so i have a monitor in there. I wanna get a stand and school supplies but im super broke right now

I need your help people! I see there are sales on at the minute for 4th July. Wondering if they're usually this far in advance, and are there normally sales for Labor Day? Trying to figure out when is best to buy my mattress. Saw one down from $1000 to $377 and that's amazing, and want to capitalise on this if I can for Labor Day sales. Does this make any sense?!?!?

45 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Im able to start today and am now realizing i dont know what the hell im doing. Do i go in at 8? Id rather go in at 10! Im lost!

On a fun note, my closet is big enough for a small desk area so i have a monitor in there. I wanna get a stand and school supplies but im super broke right now

Go in earlier first time and then figure it out from there. Eeee it's exciting.

6 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I need your help people! I see there are sales on at the minute for 4th July. Wondering if they're usually this far in advance, and are there normally sales for Labor Day? Trying to figure out when is best to buy my mattress. Saw one down from $1000 to $377 and that's amazing, and want to capitalise on this if I can for Labor Day sales. Does this make any sense?!?!?

There are usually sales for Labor Day, but I can't imagine doing better than that on a mattress! That's a huge jump down in price. I would just go for it, and wait for Labor Day to get other big cool things on sale. (:

ETA: Unless that's not your question at all and I misunderstood, ack. 

Edited by jlt646

1 hour ago, jlt646 said:

There are usually sales for Labor Day, but I can't imagine doing better than that on a mattress! That's a huge jump down in price. I would just go for it, and wait for Labor Day to get other big cool things on sale. (:

ETA: Unless that's not your question at all and I misunderstood, ack. 

I'd love to go for it, but I can't order it (No US bank details) and have nowhere to deliver it so unfortunately gotta miss out on that one. Just hoping to find some decent discounts around Labor Day instead! 

Thanks though :) I'm kinda bummed on missing out on that, but I don't  move to the US until the beginning of August and guessing that Labor Day will be the nearest big sales that I can take advantage of. At least that's not too long to wait!

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

I'd love to go for it, but I can't order it (No US bank details) and have nowhere to deliver it so unfortunately gotta miss out on that one. Just hoping to find some decent discounts around Labor Day instead! 

Thanks though :) I'm kinda bummed on missing out on that, but I don't  move to the US until the beginning of August and guessing that Labor Day will be the nearest big sales that I can take advantage of. At least that's not too long to wait!

Why not ask if they take a rain check? Probably won't work, but for that good of a deal might as well ask!

15 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Why not join some hobby groups to make some friends over the summer, if you aren't going to be working? I've been looking into astronomy clubs / church groups / bands ever since I arrived (too lazy to actually DO anything but the concept is still there, I think)

I signed up for some meetup groups, but it'll likely take time to be connected enough to people to have plans for holidays.  I would like to do some sort of community service, but I'm trying to figure out what's out there.  I want to do something unrelated to my field, that attracts men, and where I won't get dirty or sweaty.  Hmmm.  Maybe something music related?  I haven't considered clubs or church groups, something to ponder.  While not religious I do at times enjoy religious events or services, but I find younger single people are not welcome, whereas divorced or widowed people are fine.  Anyone else notice this? 

15 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

Go in early at first to get the lay of the land, then adjust to your own needs once you get the flow of things.  Is there a dollar or 99cent store in your area?  They have cheap school supplies.

15 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Any US holiday will mean sales on furniture and household items.  That kind of a mattress deal might be a model that is soon to be discontinued so they need to get rid of it.  Labor Day you'll see really good sales too, so don't worry.

Thanks for the information everyone :D So I'm not too sure if the US has been following or even aware of the referendum we've had yesterday. The results have just come in and the UK is leaving the EU. It's going to be very interesting to see what the reaction is.

I was following the results and finally decided to go to bed. I just got up and I'm so angry about the results right now. I'm going to stare angrily at every on the tube like e they're personally responsible. 

I was just about to ask how that was going to work?! Maybe nothing to your visa, but itll def make travel to other EU countries more difficult right? If UK is out is Germany next? How will the EU survive without thise major economies?

BUT it has made plane tickets there very cheap!

Germany's not leaving anytime soon. If anyone, France would leave next (has the highest disapproval of remaining EU countries), but the government there doesn't want to leave the EU and they're not stupid enough to call a referendum like the UK.

There won't really be major changes in the immediate term because it will take about 2 years to negotiate the UK exit. After that, travel likely won't be difficult (look at how easy it is for Americans to visit Europe), but actually living and working in EU countries is another story. A lot of it boils down to what the UK ends up negotiating, but at this point no one has any idea what that will look like. We're in uncharted territory.

4 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

I was just about to ask how that was going to work?! Maybe nothing to your visa, but itll def make travel to other EU countries more difficult right? If UK is out is Germany next? How will the EU survive without thise major economies?

BUT it has made plane tickets there very cheap!

@pterosaur has summed it up nicely. We don't know what's going to happen. I'm curious as to how the rest of the world is reacting to it, but at the end of the day we won't know for at least a few months. The Prime Minister is resigning in October before the party conference, and is leaving the negotiations to the new PM. There's a lot of speculation going on, a lot of misinformation (what's new), and there's a lot of uncertainty, but there also seems to be an undercurrent that the financial markets had put contingency plans in place for this outcome. We will see. 

I recently got in contact with an old high school teacher. He got me into history, philosophy, Monty Python... essentially he was an awesome teacher. I was kind of nervous and expecting him to not remember me but we had a nice talk. :)

@fernandes Congrats, that's awesome! Feels great to be finished doesn't it!

23 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@pterosaur has summed it up nicely. We don't know what's going to happen. I'm curious as to how the rest of the world is reacting to it, but at the end of the day we won't know for at least a few months. The Prime Minister is resigning in October before the party conference, and is leaving the negotiations to the new PM. There's a lot of speculation going on, a lot of misinformation (what's new), and there's a lot of uncertainty, but there also seems to be an undercurrent that the financial markets had put contingency plans in place for this outcome. We will see. 

The whole UK within the EU always seemed odd to me anyway and I'm certainly no expert on how it all worked.  It will be interesting to see how this change will affect travel, imports/exports, the currency, etc.

wow, so much has happened in the last couple of days! hope you all are doing well. 

i got the apartment i wanted with someone with a ton of common furniture! we still need to supplement but not with any HUGE pieces or anything. it's crazy to think that i'll be down in nashville in 6 short weeks. i am so excited to get back into an academic setting.

but for right now, i'm chilling at each parent's house for a couple of weeks :) right now i have my mom's lazy, sweet pittie sleeping on my feet and have been taking full advantage of her keurig and stocked pantry. :P they return from a weekend trip to new york today so I think I'm going to surprise 'em with spaghetti and meatballs and some garlic bread for dinner!

Edited by Effloresce

Just had a nice few days of swimming, snorkeling, and snuba-ing. Now we're out fishing. Nothing good yet, but we'll see. Trying to end my year off right.

Man I'm so envious of you guys not still in school. Yesterday my mom had a big car crash, she's fine but the car isn't. Thankfully it happened only a few miles away from my house so she stayed with me last night (I only have a double bed and no couch so it was nice and cosy). Needless to say neither of us got much sleep. Then I woke up to news I still had to edit my data for my research. Like guys, I'm moving in 5 weeks and I need to be done here in 2-3. But on the plus side, my intro and methods are written (pending a paragraph which depends on my results). 

I ended up snapping at a friend too - she keeps trying to arrange a time with me to meet up and I just don't know yet. She doesn't seem to understand that finishing my masters, spending time with my gran (who will die before I get to come back from the US so we all know it's the last few times we get to see each other), and spending time with parents is more important than seeing her. 

I also found out I need glasses (explains all the headaches). Just lots to do. Anyone got a time turner I can borrow?

Just now, Danger_Zone said:

@hippyscientist I know how you feel. I'm not in school anymore but I'm only going to have 3 weeks to find a place before TA orientation starts. I'm assuming it won't take that long but, it's just hard to relax knowing how busy I am going to be soon.

That's the thing right? I don't even have relax time! I was at home to vote and kept getting told to just relax but I couldn't. I'm really antsy about getting this research done. As soon as I have my data in my hand I can push forward. And great. My dad was meant to come out for Christmas this year and he's just said he can't make it out so yay....now I have to make friends! lol. I guess if all else fails I can head up to Maine to stay with an old friend.