We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

8 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

No, but I did switch to natural remedies so that I rarely take meds now.  I know a few people who've gone the shot route and the results seem mixed.  It takes a few rounds to see any results and for some everything is amazing, for others things are worse, and for a few there's no change.

May I ask what natural remedies you use? I used to take allergy meds when I was young but stopped, and lately it seems like my allergies are coming back full force.. but I'd rather not have to start taking allergy meds again if I can find something else. 

Edited by Danger_Zone

4 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I'm worried that will be me a year into my program.  I'm so annoyed by the difficulty of making friends.  The rock wall sounds fun, its been ages since I've done that.

I'm worried that will still be me lol. 

Earlier today I got a reminder email about my partner's company BBQ tomorrow (which we're attending)... with a flyer talking about all their volleyball and tug of war and relay races and stuff. 

My legit response was "I don't want to play games." I think I am starting to understand why I have no friends.

It's official.  I have re-watched every single episode of Gilmore Girls and am ready for the revival.  Kinda funny how perfect the timing is watching Rory graduate from Yale and go off to her first real job and all the unknowns it will bring as I'm about to embark on my own journey full of unknowns.  A few years ago all of this would have freaked me out and I'm certain I'd have refused to do it.  But now I just keep coming back to the fact that I have done everything I can do where I currently am.  If I want more out of life, and I do, then I have to leave and I feel more calm than sad about that I guess.

15 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

See that sounds so much better! I'm struggling to see any positives at the minute but I'm sure there will be some, eventually lol! 

On the subject of schools and mistakes, I had an email from University of Florida outlining orientation there...ummmm nice of you to invite me but I did reject you about 3 months ago! Also, the admin "cc'd" everyone htey were sending the email to which is awful! I could look up every single accepted grad student (Only 500 on the list). Someone messed up. 

I also emailed the medical administrators because I had a few questions about vaccines, and basically got told "phone us on this number, or pop in and see us" despite repeatedly mentioning I was an international student out of the country. I guess we shouldn't underestimate the power of autopilot 

Ugh there is no excuse of that kind of sloppiness in emails or not realizing that not everyone lives right around the corner to just pop in.  BCC was invented for a reason, use it people!

4 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

May I ask what natural remedies you use? I used to take allergy meds when I was young but stopped, and lately it seems like my allergies are coming back full force.. but I'd rather not have to start taking allergy meds again if I can find something else. 

Well the key to natural remedies is patience.  Then find out what you're allergic to.  For me that's pollen and animal saliva.  Nope, not the animal dander or the hair, but their saliva.  Then explore your symptoms and accept that you may have to incorporate several items to tackle all of them.  So in my natural remedy allergy fighting arsenal I have: local organic honey, rooibos tea, foods high in quercetin, a probiotic supplement and foods high in probiotics, essential oils, foods high in bromelain, and eye saline solution.  I also do not have animals and rarely go to the homes of people with animals.

Once I got the hang of it I'm symptom free 95% of the time, but when things get out of control meds it is.  When I do need meds I'm able to get by with lower doses which is good.

19 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Earlier today I got a reminder email about my partner's company BBQ tomorrow (which we're attending)... with a flyer talking about all their volleyball and tug of war and relay races and stuff. 

My legit response was "I don't want to play games." I think I am starting to understand why I have no friends.

LOL!  I could probably get into a round of volleyball, but tug of war and relay races?  Clearly the coordinators have never read news reports of people losing fingers playing tug of war.  Relay races are for kids.  Trivia would be fun and more grown up.

Oh crap. This talk of doctors made me realize that I was supposed to send my health forms by... June 15. And they require a doctor to sign off on a health form who's seem me in the past year. I haven't seen a doctor in the past year, and I was also too lazy to ever register with a GP because I found the NHS confusing/intimidating. Crap.

58 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Well the key to natural remedies is patience.  Then find out what you're allergic to.  For me that's pollen and animal saliva.  Nope, not the animal dander or the hair, but their saliva.  Then explore your symptoms and accept that you may have to incorporate several items to tackle all of them.  So in my natural remedy allergy fighting arsenal I have: local organic honey, rooibos tea, foods high in quercetin, a probiotic supplement and foods high in probiotics, essential oils, foods high in bromelain, and eye saline solution.  I also do not have animals and rarely go to the homes of people with animals.

Once I got the hang of it I'm symptom free 95% of the time, but when things get out of control meds it is.  When I do need meds I'm able to get by with lower doses which is good.

Thanks for the advice! Those are very interesting, I hadn't considered a lot of those things but I'll definitely look into them. Fortunately my allergies aren't severe, but I do seem to be allergic to just about everything. I avoid the foods I'm allergic to but it's hard to avoid things like dust in a house. It's also probably a bit foolish of me to keep cats since I have an allergy to them, but they don't seem to bother me much anymore as long as I don't let them sleep in my room (or on my head.) I'm hoping that keeping my own place really clean and getting to eat healthier foods will maybe help in its own way. 

one of my roommates has severe allergies...now i'm terrified to have allergies. for the last couple of months, she's been in and out of the hospital with anaphylaxis and she has no idea what's triggering it. a few days ago, she almost had to be admitted to icu after needing 5 epi pens to stabilize her throat swelling..

today was my official last day in the lab. we went out to lunch (16 of us) and i almost cried when my boss gave his farewell speech to me. it's been 2 long years, and i'm going to miss them so much. :( 

On the friends note, i also have a hard time making and keeping up with friendships. I also hate having friendships forced onto me. Thats probably why I'm less than enthused about my roommate always wanting to talk to me and hang out. Ive gotten so used to being comfortable with just myself and my dog. 

Allergy wise - no to the shot. I just suffer with an occasional benadryl. Im wondering if my lab will make me have an epipen in case i become allergic to bees in my time here

I'm with you all on the friends... I had just started to make friends at my undergrad after 4 years there, and then I left. Also @Effloresce that's scary! I have deadly peanut allergies (can't even be nearby) for the same reason as your roommate - the throat swells up and you can't breathe. But 5 epipens... has she seen an allergist? And why wasn't she admitted to the ICU? That sounds like it almost killed her...

41 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm with you all on the friends... I had just started to make friends at my undergrad after 4 years there, and then I left. Also @Effloresce that's scary! I have deadly peanut allergies (can't even be nearby) for the same reason as your roommate - the throat swells up and you can't breathe. But 5 epipens... has she seen an allergist? And why wasn't she admitted to the ICU? That sounds like it almost killed her...

yeah, she's seen allergists, endocrinologists, ents, cardiologists..you name it. they can't figure out what the issue is. she has her own speculations and is self-dxing but can't get doctors to confirm. also all the pathologists she's seen haven't screened her for what she's self-dxing as..so it's tough. i think they didn't admit her because she stabilized enough, i'm not sure..

she has established allergies that she obvi steers clear of, but then she'll get these random reactions caused by unknown triggers :/

Edited by Effloresce

12 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Okay I have to say I like the sound of volleyball and tug of war but that's because it's sport. If it had been anything else I'd be with you! 

@Effloresce that sounds awful for your friend!

My allergies are just to pollen (but what pollen we can't work out) but they are pretty bad. Not quite hospitilisation bad, but close. My eyes swell shut, my throat expands so I can get *just* enough air to breathe, it also gets super itchy and my skin inflames up with huge red welts and gets so painful that wearing clothes causes me to cry. But docs prescribe regular meds which reduce my symptoms to bearable (I can wear clothes near enough, my eyes open slightly, and I can nearly breathe). Non-medication natural remedies don't work as much as I'd love them to. I hate medicine! 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

I hate medicine!

Oh god... Me too. And i take so much of it right now. My doc has got me on this nerve pain med whose main side effect is "extreme drowsiness". I wake up at like 4 or 5 in the morning because it wears off, and then spend the rest of the day super groggy.

And the steroid shot directly into my ankle hurt like hell. If that I what I'm going to have to do for the rest of my life.. I don't wanna. Lol.

I don't like doctors after I went through thousands of dollars of tests and a god damn colonoscopy at 19 just to find out I can't eat wheat, alcohol sugars, and some other stuff.

4 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Oh god... Me too. And i take so much of it right now. My doc has got me on this nerve pain med whose main side effect is "extreme drowsiness". I wake up at like 4 or 5 in the morning because it wears off, and then spend the rest of the day super groggy.

And the steroid shot directly into my ankle hurt like hell. If that I what I'm going to have to do for the rest of my life.. I don't wanna. Lol.

I don't like doctors after I went through thousands of dollars of tests and a god damn colonoscopy at 19 just to find out I can't eat wheat, alcohol sugars, and some other stuff.

A shot in the ankle? That does sound really painful. Does it go into the bone or something? (note: I know nothing about medicine but I'm not sure if shots that go into the bone are a thing). 

Can we talk about how EXPENSIVE medication is?? Those of you outside the US can keep your pieholes shut (I'm kidding) but why do I have to pay $40/month just so I can breathe with all the pollen/cats (okay, that's my fault) around? Allergy shots aren't cheap either! I guess it falls under the same reason why feminine hygiene products are so pricey... because people will buy them... but UGH.

57 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

A shot in the ankle? That does sound really painful. Does it go into the bone or something? (note: I know nothing about medicine but I'm not sure if shots that go into the bone are a thing). 

Can we talk about how EXPENSIVE medication is?? Those of you outside the US can keep your pieholes shut (I'm kidding) but why do I have to pay $40/month just so I can breathe with all the pollen/cats (okay, that's my fault) around? Allergy shots aren't cheap either! I guess it falls under the same reason why feminine hygiene products are so pricey... because people will buy them... but UGH.

I don't know how it is in places outside of the US and Canada, but medication isn't covered in Canada either and is very expensive. My parents must spend hundreds of dollars per month. Things like birth control aren't covered either, which they are in the US if I remember correctly. Medicine is an important part of healthcare, so it surprises me why it wouldn't be covered in some ways as well (I understand it's an extremely expensive endeavour, but our taxes are already high and many Canadians seem perfectly happy to pay them in the name of "free health care.") But you're right... people need them and will buy them so what choice is there really?

7 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

I don't know how it is in places outside of the US and Canada, but medication isn't covered in Canada either and is very expensive. My parents must spend hundreds of dollars per month. Things like birth control aren't covered either, which they are in the US if I remember correctly. Medicine is an important part of healthcare, so it surprises me why it wouldn't be covered in some ways as well (I understand it's an extremely expensive endeavour, but our taxes are already high and many Canadians seem perfectly happy to pay them in the name of "free health care.") But you're right... people need them and will buy them so what choice is there really?

Wow! I guess I didn't know much about Canadian healthcare but I just assumed it was better than it is in the US! But yikes!

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Nah... It just goes into the connective tissue and stuff. Still hurts like a bitch though.

I rarely pay for medication. My insurance covers almost all medication in full, and if not its never more than 10-20 bucks.

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Wow! I guess I didn't know much about Canadian healthcare but I just assumed it was better than it is in the US! But yikes!

Yeah, when I tell people things like medications aren't covered here they're surprised as well! I think the image of our healthcare is a tad nicer than reality, but every place has their downsides (I think the misconception is that all of our healthcare needs are free). I'm sure drug coverage with insurance is fine, but the only drug I'd ever used throughout university (when I had insurance) isn't covered in Canada, so I can't say from experience how much the insurance helps. 

7 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

US healthcare has it's issues, but the NHS isn't perfect. On the topic of medicines, I know the NHS is wonderful in terms of cost, but I'd like to announce that medicines are not covered. If doc prescribes me drugs it will cost me £8.70 for each medicine. While not comparable in cost to many other countries, I'd like to point out that we do still have to pay for drugs! And admin fees, ugh I hate admin fees. I need a doc to sign the record of my immunizations and I have to pay equivalent of $40 for a blinking stamp. Irritating. 

My allergy meds suck too. I've been working outside all day at my dads house and I can barely breathe. His friend came over, who's a doc, and was worried about me. I'm not sure whether I also have a bit of a cold but this is really unpleasant! Meds not working properly.

Also, feminine hygiene products. I'm okay paying a nominal fee for them because they're not ABSOLUTELY essential, we could make alternatives with towels and walk around like we'd poo'd our pants in big baggy trousers but basically they're essential. I'm all for the notion of all women not wearing feminine hygiene products for a month, we'd soon get reduced cost products!!! Drives me up the wall. 

8 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Also, feminine hygiene products. I'm okay paying a nominal fee for them because they're not ABSOLUTELY essential, we could make alternatives with towels and walk around like we'd poo'd our pants in big baggy trousers but basically they're essential. I'm all for the notion of all women not wearing feminine hygiene products for a month, we'd soon get reduced cost products!!! Drives me up the wall. 

Are your feminine hygiene products taxed as "luxury" items?

28 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I'm not saying they should be free of course. I'm saying that they're absurdly expensive :( 

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah ankles generally don't have much fat to act as a cushion, so shots there are gonna hurt. 

Me thinks  your coverage is the problem.  If I need a medication my co-pay ranges from $0-$25 and not a penny more.  Now when I switch to the health plan at my program my co-pays will go up so I'm just going to hang on to anything I have now that isn't expired.  I avoid meds whenever possible so the higher cost hopefully won't be a big deal.

9 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

Things like birth control aren't covered either, which they are in the US if I remember correctly.

Yes most forms of birth control are free in the US. 

3 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

LOL!  Poo'd our pants would be such an unsexy look!  And while sure we could probably make alternatives out of something else I have yet to meet a woman who does that and isn't stinky.  Stinky is also not sexy lol.  Instead of not wearing products for a month how about we adapt the whole bra burning thing and just burn pads and tampons?  While these items don't eat up much of budget I totally dig the idea of being part of such a movement.  So how would we do it?  Make one of those social media announcements that goes viral?

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm not saying they should be free of course. I'm saying that they're absurdly expensive :( 

They sell them at wholesale and bulk stores and you can use manufacturer coupons at many of those places as well.

6 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Are your feminine hygiene products taxed as "luxury" items?

Yes. In some stores a packet of cigarettes is cheaper than a box of tampons. Also I feel you on the ankle shot-  I got an ankle tattoo and that was a wee bit painful.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny neither am I. I am more than happy to pay for feminine hygiene products, I am not happy being blatantly taken advantage of with the amount they charge for them.

3 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

LOL!  Poo'd our pants would be such an unsexy look!  And while sure we could probably make alternatives out of something else I have yet to meet a woman who does that and isn't stinky.  Stinky is also not sexy lol.  Instead of not wearing products for a month how about we adapt the whole bra burning thing and just burn pads and tampons?  While these items don't eat up much of budget I totally dig the idea of being part of such a movement.  So how would we do it?  Make one of those social media announcements that goes viral?

Okay so I might have forum'd after a few glasses of wine and margarita last night so my suggestion may not have been overly successful. But it does illustrate the point. If every woman for a month bled everywhere they went because they couldn't afford the feminine hygeine products we've come accustomed to, "the man" (you know, like from the 80s when they stuck it to the man) would have to do something about it. I am well aware there are many cheaper (in the long term) alternatives, but sometimes they just don't work. Burning them is also not really great for the environment (and I hate the environmental impact of pads and plastic tampons) but I would love for all the women to unite over this. Ain't gunna happen, but it would be awesome.

On the feminine hygiene note- i switched to a menstrual cup last year and its amazing. It was $40 but its medical grade silicone and will last for a loooonnnnggg time. 

I even got my sister to switch and shes gonna have my nieces use them when they get their own menses madness

59 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

On the feminine hygiene note- i switched to a menstrual cup last year and its amazing. It was $40 but its medical grade silicone and will last for a loooonnnnggg time. 

I even got my sister to switch and shes gonna have my nieces use them when they get their own menses madness

I keep hearing great things about them but it just seems nasty to remove, empty (rinse in sink? ew), then put back in. 

Hahaha, the poor guys on this forum are probably long gone by now :P