We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

@rhombusbombus I have one too! They're awesome once you get used to them :)

I've gotten back to university after being away for the weekend and they've deactivated my internet. I can't access it until 12pm tomorrow (that's when the helpdesk opens)!!! Not sure how they expect me to work with no internet. I'm on my phone's internet currently but it's crap. So much for catching up on netflix tonight.

3 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny It makes you really comfortable with your own anatomy! And you'd rinse a cut in the sink, what's the real difference aside from location.

I mean, when I'm at my own home where I can take it out, rinse it, then put it in, sure! But when I'm at school/work, go into stall to take it out, pull up pants, go outside stall with nasty thing full of blood to put it in sink and rinse it, go back in stall, pull down pants, put in? Sounds like a nasty process (and I doubt anyone else really wants to see my cup full of... stuff).

45 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I mean, when I'm at my own home where I can take it out, rinse it, then put it in, sure! But when I'm at school/work, go into stall to take it out, pull up pants, go outside stall with nasty thing full of blood to put it in sink and rinse it, go back in stall, pull down pants, put in? Sounds like a nasty process (and I doubt anyone else really wants to see my cup full of... stuff).

But you can leave it 12 hrs or so. And if you do have to change it in public, you just use toilet paper/bottled water in the stall and wait til you get home to wash it properly. It's surprisingly not that icky

@hippyscientist That actually doesn't sound too bad, I am considering buying one. I was just always concerned that it wouldn't be.. enough.

Sooo.. is it normal to continue to grow at age 24? I noticed some of my pants that I've worn for years have suddenly gotten too short, so I measured myself today and have grown nearly an inch! I haven't really gotten taller since middle school. Now I'm ticked off that I need to buy more pants.

3 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

But you can leave it 12 hrs or so. And if you do have to change it in public, you just use toilet paper/bottled water in the stall and wait til you get home to wash it properly. It's surprisingly not that icky

I think you underestimate mother nature's curse on me. :) #TMI

Plus I regularly spend >12 hours at school in one day, but I'm working on that...

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I get it, I do, and we gotta find what works best for each of us! 12 hrs a day + at school I only pull when I have deadlines that are pressing (like now). I've been working myself to the bone (in the office at 6am, leaving at 9pm plus training on top) and my body has said no. I've come down with a fever and I can't rest because I can't use my software at home - it has to be in the office. I just don't know what to do 

5 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I get it, I do, and we gotta find what works best for each of us! 12 hrs a day + at school I only pull when I have deadlines that are pressing (like now). I've been working myself to the bone (in the office at 6am, leaving at 9pm plus training on top) and my body has said no. I've come down with a fever and I can't rest because I can't use my software at home - it has to be in the office. I just don't know what to do 

Yikes! When's the deadline?

Part of a phone conversation between SO and his father yesterday...

His father: "So, you're going to marry her soon right?"

Him: "Yeah, I figure I've got 5 more years to tie her down."

His father: "Well you better do it sooner than that... otherwise she'll be Dr. sjoh, not Dr. Boley, and we need all the Dr. Boley's we can get."

Him: "Ok dad." insert eye roll.

His father: "Besides... you're too old to be starting over if she leaves you. Nobody wants to be starting over at 30" 

Insert me eye rolling. 

At least we avoided the "so have you decided to get pregnant yet?" conversation that we'll not be having when we visit in 2 weeks. 

@rhombusbombus Lol. My partner and I would be getting married now if it weren't for us trying to get our finances in a better spot. His father absolutely adores me... and I think he is anxious for us to get married so that he can keep me around ;) 

I've been thinking that I might just hyphenate my last name when we get married. If I've already published, I'll just keep my publishing name as sjoh, but if I haven't published yet, I will use my hyphenated name in the future. I don't really see a reason to abandon my name completely when its a part of who I am. 

We haven't broken it to his parents that we have no plans on having children. 

@sjoh197 Yikes! Well good luck with telling his parents that whenever you do. I think my parents are starting to accept that I don't want children - especially since my little sister is baby-crazy and has taken some of the pressure off of me - but sometimes I still get to hear all the reasons about why I "need" to have children. 

As for the publishing thing I hadn't actually thought about that but was planning on taking my boyfriend's name once we were married, which would probably be after I graduate and hopefully already have a publication(s). I wanted to just hyphenate his name on the end of mine but it sounds weird to be honest. Is it a bad idea to be published under two names?

On the subject of names, I was always going to keep my maiden name professionally. It's easy to spell, easy to say, and just works in a professional capacity. Personally, I haven't decided and I think an element of that decision will depend on who I end up with. When me and the ex were talking about marriage, it would have been hyphenated but my maiden name was always going to stay my professional name. It just works! 

@Danger_Zone The impression I've got is that it's not necessarily a bad idea to publish under two names, so long as all your work can be attributed to you. 

I hadn't thought too much about that. I probably have more publications as an undergrad than I'll have as a grad student/postdoc (7), but on the other hand my sister took her husband's last name towards the end of her PhD and didn't have any problems. I think you do whatever floats your boat.

On 6/18/2016 at 10:52 PM, hippyscientist said:

Okay so I might have forum'd after a few glasses of wine and margarita last night so my suggestion may not have been overly successful. But it does illustrate the point. If every woman for a month bled everywhere they went because they couldn't afford the feminine hygeine products we've come accustomed to, "the man" (you know, like from the 80s when they stuck it to the man) would have to do something about it. I am well aware there are many cheaper (in the long term) alternatives, but sometimes they just don't work. Burning them is also not really great for the environment (and I hate the environmental impact of pads and plastic tampons) but I would love for all the women to unite over this. Ain't gunna happen, but it would be awesome.

Heeheh wine and margaritas is a dangerous combo.  I still vote we come up with a more sanitary movement than just bleeding everywhere.  I'm still traumatized over that chick who ran a marathon on her period and refused to use any feminine hygiene products.  I get that she didn't want to be inconvenienced by stopping and changing it in a porta potty but the alternative was her bloody ass all over the media.  I mean honestly!  But I digress.... ok so burning is bad for the environment.  Well what if we just made t-shirts with a catchy (and not gross) slogan?  Then guys could participant and I'm a big fan of men being part of women's issues.

On 6/19/2016 at 6:26 AM, rhombusbombus said:

On the feminine hygiene note- i switched to a menstrual cup last year and its amazing. It was $40 but its medical grade silicone and will last for a loooonnnnggg time. 

I even got my sister to switch and shes gonna have my nieces use them when they get their own menses madness

Many moons ago I tried one of those daily disposable cups.  Ick factor aside the darn things just moved way to much and I'm way to active to be bothered with leaks and such.

On 6/19/2016 at 7:27 AM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I keep hearing great things about them but it just seems nasty to remove, empty (rinse in sink? ew), then put back in. 

Hahaha, the poor guys on this forum are probably long gone by now :P 

The gals I know that use these take them out in the shower and since you can keep them in for 12hrs depending on the volume produced that shouldn't be too disruptive to ones daily schedule.  If it isn't shower time then pouring it in the toilet rinsing it over the toilet with a water bottle would probably be much easier then waddling to the sink.

On 6/19/2016 at 3:05 PM, Danger_Zone said:

@hippyscientist That actually doesn't sound too bad, I am considering buying one. I was just always concerned that it wouldn't be.. enough.

Sooo.. is it normal to continue to grow at age 24? I noticed some of my pants that I've worn for years have suddenly gotten too short, so I measured myself today and have grown nearly an inch! I haven't really gotten taller since middle school. Now I'm ticked off that I need to buy more pants.

Maybe your posture improved.  I grew about an inch and a half in my midtwenties and my doctor deduced that I was finally standing and sitting upright thanks to all the yoga I'd been doing.

5 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

As for the publishing thing I hadn't actually thought about that but was planning on taking my boyfriend's name once we were married, which would probably be after I graduate and hopefully already have a publication(s). I wanted to just hyphenate his name on the end of mine but it sounds weird to be honest. Is it a bad idea to be published under two names?

I see lots of CVs where women note that their name changed in whatever year.  Hardly a big deal.

Edited by MarineBluePsy

16 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Maybe your posture improved.  I grew about an inch and a half in my midtwenties and my doctor deduced that I was finally standing and sitting upright thanks to all the yoga I'd been doing.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that. I suppose my posture has improved quite a bit, I was kind of a sloucher when I was younger. 

I guess what you all have said about publishing names makes sense. I guess I'm probably overestimating how many publications I will put out during grad school, but hopefully at least one! 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I really need to learn not to cry when I'm yelled at. There's one postdoc here who loves to yell at me... 

I'm sorry, that's awful... I don't like to be yelled at either. I just try to tell myself that anger and yelling are very stupid ways to get your point across or to get what you want, so the person doing the yelling is the one that should feel bad and embarrassed, not me. I'm not sure if that helps at all but, it helps me some at least.

I'm sick of packing too!  It's a huge pain making sure none of my boxes exceed 15lbs because I have too many aches and pains to lift more and I'm not sure how long this will last.  Also I just ordered a laptop and they didn't put any styrofoam or bubble wrap in the box at all.  They just plastic wrapped it to a piece of cardboard that held it in a way that it kind of floated in the center of the box.  Nothing was damaged so I saved everything and am going to see if I get my desktop's monitor in it.

So is anyone else thinking of how to spend the summer holidays in their new cities where they don't know anyone?  It seems weird to stay home alone for 4th of July or Labor Day.

8 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I'm sick of packing too!  It's a huge pain making sure none of my boxes exceed 15lbs because I have too many aches and pains to lift more and I'm not sure how long this will last.  Also I just ordered a laptop and they didn't put any styrofoam or bubble wrap in the box at all.  They just plastic wrapped it to a piece of cardboard that held it in a way that it kind of floated in the center of the box.  Nothing was damaged so I saved everything and am going to see if I get my desktop's monitor in it.

So is anyone else thinking of how to spend the summer holidays in their new cities where they don't know anyone?  It seems weird to stay home alone for 4th of July or Labor Day.

Why not join some hobby groups to make some friends over the summer, if you aren't going to be working? I've been looking into astronomy clubs / church groups / bands ever since I arrived (too lazy to actually DO anything but the concept is still there, I think)