We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

31 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

I had a terrible dream, so I've been up since 5:30 or so...and now it's 7:45. 

Also I realized that now that I'm driving regularly, I should fix my license to not have an out of state address on it..the DMV screwed up and printed an out of state address on my license which can be a misdemeanor in some states, and I really don't want to risk that. 

I'm confused. What is a misdemeanor? To the best of my knowledge, simply driving with an out of state license  -  there's nothing wrong with that.

4 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

My parents just left with my dog. He jumped in the car and snuggled in. 

Now im just clutching the dog bone he left. It's so quiet and lonely without him. 

But he looked happy as a clam to leave so i cant be mad! I'll see him when i go home and hopefully bring him back next year!

Funny how simple it is to make a dog happy.  If only people were that simple.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm confused. What is a misdemeanor? To the best of my knowledge, simply driving with an out of state license  -  there's nothing wrong with that.

my driver's license is issued for NYS, but the address listed on it is not a NYS address. not sure if NYS would classify that as a misdemeanor, but i googled and some states do. :/

Edited by Effloresce

@Effloresce Hopefully that gets fixed soon! Urg I know this isn't a venting thread but today was rough. My internship is reinforced my stance on no kids. I feel so old but in my day when an adult tells you to stop running, stop fighting, stop throwing stuff, stop yelling, you listen to the adult. They were 7-9 year olds so they should know better. It wasn't all of them but enough for me to want to throw myself off a cliff ha. When I did science days with kids back in Virginia, I never had a problem. I feel like my internship is going well though. I remember everyone's names and most of the kids seem to like me!

9 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Need Coffee in an IV  Yikes sounds rough.  Maybe it was just summer and not wanting to be cooped up?  So many kids don't get to run around outside these days and they really need to.

Yeah maybe! But they seem interested in building the robots, and we do give them an hour to walk around the museum. We host three day camps and each day we visit the different floors of the museum. I just need to be patient! I feel bad though because some of the kids names have been difficult to pronounce and they get mad at him. My speech impediment is my biggest insecurity so I feel awful sometimes.

11 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Effloresce Hopefully that gets fixed soon! Urg I know this isn't a venting thread but today was rough. My internship is reinforced my stance on no kids. I feel so old but in my day when an adult tells you to stop running, stop fighting, stop throwing stuff, stop yelling, you listen to the adult. They were 7-9 year olds so they should know better. It wasn't all of them but enough for me to want to throw myself off a cliff ha. When I did science days with kids back in Virginia, I never had a problem. I feel like my internship is going well though. I remember everyone's names and most of the kids seem to like me!

thank you! i'm leaving next sunday, so i'm hoping they mail it by then. otherwise, i'll have to wait for my parents to mail it down to nashville.

and oooh dear, i understand what you mean. my siblings are all 8-9 now (i'm 23), and they are so mouthy! some of the things my brother says to my mom make me gasp! and when i visited, she would tell me to lighten up, but i definitely chewed him out a couple of times. i guess they've loosened up on discipline since i was a kid, lol. 

3 hours ago, Effloresce said:

thank you! i'm leaving next sunday, so i'm hoping they mail it by then. otherwise, i'll have to wait for my parents to mail it down to nashville.

and oooh dear, i understand what you mean. my siblings are all 8-9 now (i'm 23), and they are so mouthy! some of the things my brother says to my mom make me gasp! and when i visited, she would tell me to lighten up, but i definitely chewed him out a couple of times. i guess they've loosened up on discipline since i was a kid, lol. 

I just remember all the drill exercises i had to do as a kid if I did something wrong...My brother and I are similar in age so there wasn't much of a discipline difference. And of course we can't do much because then the parents will complain how we are mistreating their child. Working with the public is tough sometimes!

On 7/24/2016 at 9:23 AM, MarineBluePsy said:

I'm not sure what part of the US you're going to, but it is also possible that private owners are saying that to decline same sex couples and rather than get flamed for that they're just saying "no unmarried couples."  Either way I agree that it is discriminatory, but again I don't know that they can be forced to change because they aren't public housing.

And yay!  You successfully passed customs!  You won't worry about anything, you'll just sleep for now =)

I believe same sex marriage has been legal here for a couple years, but it would make sense in that case. Perhaps that was the reason and what I'm reading on the internet is people complaining about this happening in the past, or the apartment rules haven't been updated to accommodate for the changed laws. Or maybe some people are uncomfortable with the idea of an unmarried couple living together?

On 7/24/2016 at 10:36 AM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Danger_Zone I know how you feel! Bf and I would be married but he's worried about his parents' health. Besides we have our whole lives to be married. There's no rush really. But I've seen that requirement for some places as well. Or they ask for a bigger deposit if you aren't married. Its lame.

That is kind of ridiculous if places ask for a bigger deposit, but I suppose they can do what they please. I'd like to be married already but I think it might cause some issues with my (non)-immigrant status in the US. It might look suspicious if I were to marry here. I really don't want to wait 5+ years but I guess I don't have much of a choice.

So my sister told me that one of our cats has been wandering around day after day looking for me. I am heartbroken. You can't really explain to an animal that you are moving away but will be visiting eventually. :( 

3 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

So my sister told me that one of our cats has been wandering around day after day looking for me. I am heartbroken. You can't really explain to an animal that you are moving away but will be visiting eventually. :( 

You could Skype with your cat!  If nothing else the reaction will probably be funny enough to post one of those videos people insist on sharing via social media.

17 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

So some electrician repairing a light pole at the mall today dropped a screwdriver and it went through the roof of my car. Seriously, what are the odds?!

holy crap..i hope it's not too expensive to fix!

I think I may have finally stumbled upon a different type of volunteering...food festivals.  I love that sort of thing anyway, but volunteering would mean free admission and possibly some other perks.  I am so bored without working or classes yet and I am making zero headway on any of my personal matters, so sitting in the house counting carpet fibers sounds like a really bad idea.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny you weren't in the car right?!  That's the kind of freak accident that kills people.  The electrician's company should be footing the bill for your repairs.

51 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I think I may have finally stumbled upon a different type of volunteering...food festivals.  I love that sort of thing anyway, but volunteering would mean free admission and possibly some other perks.  I am so bored without working or classes yet and I am making zero headway on any of my personal matters, so sitting in the house counting carpet fibers sounds like a really bad idea.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny you weren't in the car right?!  That's the kind of freak accident that kills people.  The electrician's company should be footing the bill for your repairs.

oooh, that sounds amazing actually. i might look into food festivals in nashville!

So, I worked my last day of full-time employment last Friday. I've worked in the same place for over 10 years, and now I've entered a new phase of my life.

Weird feeling. Good feeling, but weird.

@Danger_Zone Ah that sucks but I can see how it will mess up your immigration status. And don't feel bad, your cat will be fine! I missed my family dog so much butt he turned out ok and he still remembered me when I visited. He is the best friend anyone would want. @Pink Fuzzy Bunny Good news that you weren't in the car! sounds like some final destination experience. @MarineBluePsy Yeah I would get out of that house before you go all Jack Nicholson on them :D. @Neist yeah i bet that is a weird feeling. I feel weird not working at my old museum and I was only there for 3 years. But i think of it as my baby. I cant wait to see it when it finally opens!

17 hours ago, Neist said:

So, I worked my last day of full-time employment last Friday. I've worked in the same place for over 10 years, and now I've entered a new phase of my life.

Weird feeling. Good feeling, but weird.

I hope you can stay in touch with any friends you made there hopefully?

6 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I hope you can stay in touch with any friends you made there hopefully?

Oh, definitely. I live probably 300 yards from my old place of employment. :D It's a building on the campus where I'll be attending in the fall.

10 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Neist I miss my job too.  The routine, the hours it sucked up, and sometimes making a difference.  I've always worked while attending school full time and I have this nagging feeling I'm not going to like not working.

Personally, I'm going to love it. I've always wanted to invest more of my energy into my education, and I've never had that opportunity until now. :) 

10 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist yeah i bet that is a weird feeling. I feel weird not working at my old museum and I was only there for 3 years. But i think of it as my baby. I cant wait to see it when it finally opens!

I've just been there for so long. I'm 33, and I've been there for 10 years. That seems like an eternity at my age. I've worked there for my entire adult life.

20 hours ago, Neist said:

Personally, I'm going to love it. I've always wanted to invest more of my energy into my education, and I've never had that opportunity until now. :) 

I've just been there for so long. I'm 33, and I've been there for 10 years. That seems like an eternity at my age. I've worked there for my entire adult life.

Wow you never hear about people staying so long at a company/organization. Idk if I'll be able to ever find a job and keep it for that long, I hope so!

Well I found an apartment! It's small but I can't complain when at this point there were almost no apartments left... Not to mention I'm a foreign student with no SSN, no credit and no prior employment, who barely makes any money. It was an awful experience trying to find one so I'm really glad its over.

1 hour ago, Danger_Zone said:

Well I found an apartment! It's small but I can't complain when at this point there were almost no apartments left... Not to mention I'm a foreign student with no SSN, no credit and no prior employment, who barely makes any money. It was an awful experience trying to find one so I'm really glad its over.

congrats! :) 

3 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

Yikes, I'm sure that was a nightmare. Congratulations though, I wish you many decorating dreams!