We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

25 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Eventually your standards for thoroughness will drop. This usually corresponds to your students' grades approaching a Gaussian distribution and your time spent grading dropping significantly :P

Unfortunately, I don't think that'll ever be my decision. :D I have to go by the standards of the instructor. If it were completely up to me, I'd write few comments on the papers and tell them to schedule and appointment with me directly if they were interested in feedback. I bet a dollar that 90% of them would never schedule anything.

@janetjanejune - Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have to check that out!

I'm also now in the office at nearly 8 pm on Sunday because of course I still haven't finished my bloody master's thesis that's due in eight days. I kept saying I'd get it done before I left the UK, but of course I didn't. It's really coming back to bite me now that I also have a crap ton of readings for class. Wonderful, math-heavy, algorithm-filled, 25-page, computer science theory papers...

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Meeting up with a girl today to finish up some homework - hard homework that we're both totally clueless on. And she wants to meet in coffee shops, Asian restaurants, bars... like, can we meet in a library?!?!?!

Okay, I'm partial to coffee shops (probably gonna head to one in a couple hours), but restaurants and bars??? Thode are weird places to work. 

11 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

My little coffee pot for my deskspace finally shipped. Now I don't have to drink that shit that Starbucks calls coffee in the middle of the day. Yay.

that's awesome! the only time I ever liked Starbucks coffee is when the barista in question, was 99.99999% high from smoking pot. So its unlikely for that to be a common theme, so i'm not bothering with Starbucks. Besides I like making my own coffee. Its cheaper and it always turns out exactly the way I want. @Pink Fuzzy Bunny Either your study/home work habits aren't compatible or she's more focused on hanging out. I know I wouldn't be able to do home work in coffeeshops, restaurants, or other places like that. I need zero distractions. So I either work at home or I go to the museum's students resource area.

@Effloresce Do you just wear headphones then? I would be distracted from people watching. Plus I haven't found a coffee place with a decent size table to work on. They are always so tiny.

3 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Effloresce Do you just wear headphones then? I would be distracted from people watching. Plus I haven't found a coffee place with a decent size table to work on. They are always so tiny.

yeah, most of the time I do. Sometimes, I don't if the music is alright. I currently have headphones in but I don't actually have anything playing out of them cause the coffee shop music is okay. Granted, I was here around 9 AM yesterday and today so not many people are here.

But I did get lucky and get to sit at a 6-person table with outlets next to me! So I have a ton of space to spread. :P

2 hours ago, Effloresce said:

Okay, I'm partial to coffee shops (probably gonna head to one in a couple hours), but restaurants and bars??? Thode are weird places to work. 

I've accomplished some of my best work while in bars. I've experimented with my writing productivity while mildly intoxicated. :D You do write more, but there are quite a bit of typos, so.

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I'm going on my first hike today :D Having had some conversations with other grad students last night I have come to the conclusion I have found the best possible fit. My advisor is just so awesome. I love it here! Full of enthusiasm right now. :D:D

i am so happy for you! have fun. :)

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Effloresce That's the holy grail of tables right there! Too bad you can't claim ownership over it. And ah ok, that makes sense. My body is finally used to the time zone difference. I have an exam next week and I'm super nervous.

yeah, i'm very tempted but I won't be that person :P

Hike was amazing, and bars are wonderful to work in. We have writing club once a week, which is a gathering of people who all meet to write academicy things, and help out if you're forgetting words/need a critical eye etc. This will always happen in food shops or bars because it makes it less painful. Get your work done and then you don't need to relocate for happy hour!

I sort of think that my professor is playing some joke on we graduate students. A quote from this week's reading:

"The objection might be made that this interpretation of form in nature seems to substitute determinism for intelligence. Form determines which actions occur but not because these actions are ‘good for’ achieving the end. But surely, actions are not genuine means without involving this evaluative conception of the good. It is true that this account of form in nature is incomplete without the terms involved in final causality."

I'm not really sure what I'm reading at this point.

Edited by Neist

18 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Depends... which half? ;)

Lol good point!  I'll have the basics....bed, couch, desk, bookshelf, and chairs.  Dining room table, end tables, dresser, etc can wait.

18 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

so i finished a 5 page paper on coffee mugs, was embarrassed in front of my new boss in the paleo, and have an exam next week. grad school please be nice lol. i missed talking to you all!

Glad you're back!  How stoked are you that Melissa McCarthy finally got off her high horse and will do a cameo in the Gilmore Girls revival?  And how what could you possibly say about coffee mugs that would take 5 pages?

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Meeting up with a girl today to finish up some homework - hard homework that we're both totally clueless on. And she wants to meet in coffee shops, Asian restaurants, bars... like, can we meet in a library?!?!?!

Is she single?  Maybe she wants to combine her studying with man hunting.  Not a bad idea actually.

18 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Lol good point!  I'll have the basics....bed, couch, desk, bookshelf, and chairs.  Dining room table, end tables, dresser, etc can wait.

My roommate and I just put together our Ikea desks and I feel so much better. Just waiting to pick up some Command hooks & a monitor and I'll have my workstation all set to go :)

Any advice on what to wear for a program icebreaker/orientation session? It's icebreakers, a scavenger hunt, and a social at a bar but because my program's a half-professional one I'm at a total loss for how everyone will be dressed 

6 minutes ago, hdh said:

My roommate and I just put together our Ikea desks and I feel so much better. Just waiting to pick up some Command hooks & a monitor and I'll have my workstation all set to go :)

Any advice on what to wear for a program icebreaker/orientation session? It's icebreakers, a scavenger hunt, and a social at a bar but because my program's a half-professional one I'm at a total loss for how everyone will be dressed 

I've been hearing good things about Command hooks and need to give them a try myself.

As for what to wear I'd say comfortable shoes and light layers so you can adapt with the weather outdoors and the a/c indoors.

Well, I moved to San Diego and I am getting settled into my apartment. Classes seem to have started for everyone else, but at UCSD, grad orientation isn't even until the 14th and classes don't start until the 22nd. I totaled the front end of my car on the cross-country drive, so now I'm going to be taking a motorcycle safety class this week so I can buy a scooter. Stress? What stress? :mellow:

@MarineBluePsy Trust me, it was a struggle ha. I'm going to have the graduate writing center to make sure its not complete garbage. I haven't written in that type of style before. Geology was way more straight forward. Tbh I would have preferred for Melissa to stay home lol. And I can't imagine man hunting while doing homework. Homework puts me in a bad attitude :-P.

48 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Well, I moved to San Diego and I am getting settled into my apartment. Classes seem to have started for everyone else, but at UCSD, grad orientation isn't even until the 14th and classes don't start until the 22nd. I totaled the front end of my car on the cross-country drive, so now I'm going to be taking a motorcycle safety class this week so I can buy a scooter. Stress? What stress? :mellow:

Nice to see you back! And sorry about your car. :( 

How long are the semesters at UCSD? You're starting a solid month after I started.