We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

11 hours ago, mrbmrbmrb said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Also glad I'm not the only one who keeps a running list of books to read 

Anytime! You are definitely not the only one. my boyfriend loves it because he never has to guess at presents. I highlight the ones I've read in yellow, ones I'm about to read in blue, and I have side notes on what I thought about the book. I kinda wish I could be a book critic for a living but that's almost impossible ha.

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

@asurachm I think that means we'll be in the same college? I'm kinesiology but college of health and human development. I'm always down for making new friends! Just bought a thick winter coat that is super light and rolls up to nothing for better than half price :D 

How's the weather where you're at now? Pennsylvania isn't too bad, but they definitely have a prolonged winter compared to Oklahoma. I'm not sure I'd really need any specialty clothing for Penn. Maybe some heavier winter pants. Winter pants are fantastic and comfy.

That said, I'm probably not a good judge. I've worn sandals, in the rain, right above freezing.

I'm excited about the low humidity in Lubbock! Plus it will be nice to be in the southwest for a bit. I took a road trip with bf throughout the southwest and it was a blast. I'm hoping it gets cool enough in the winter so I can wear my sweaters.

3 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I'm excited about the low humidity in Lubbock! Plus it will be nice to be in the southwest for a bit. I took a road trip with bf throughout the southwest and it was a blast. I'm hoping it gets cool enough in the winter so I can wear my sweaters.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/lubbock/texas/united-states/ustx2745

Averages look pretty similar to Oklahoma, so you'll definitely have the opportunity. :) You have to go pretty far south in Texas before average temperatures stay somewhat warm.

Just now, Neist said:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/lubbock/texas/united-states/ustx2745

Averages look pretty similar to Oklahoma, so you'll definitely have the opportunity. :) You have to go pretty far south in Texas before average temperatures stay somewhat warm.

I actually just looked at that website and I'm pretty happy. Those temperatures are my sweet spot, anything over 75 I'm dying from heat.

12 hours ago, Neist said:

If you're leaving OKC, I think you're getting the better deal rather than staying here. Haha. :D And I'm sure you'd be a great friend! We can be internet buddies! 

Also, I totally think of this scene when I think of the programs you applied to.

1526_3.jpg

I think I'll at least make strong acquaintances. I think I'll generally be older than everyone else, but everyone else will have the same nerdy interests as myself, so anything's possible. :)  

Yay for at least one friend! :D I think I'm going to stick around on these boards, even after this cycle. It's a friendly environment.

I've tried to get through Moby Dick for years, but it's just so dry. Someday I'll get through it. Someday.

LOL This is my inspiration for my future career.

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I actually just looked at that website and I'm pretty happy. Those temperatures are my sweet spot, anything over 75 I'm dying from heat.

Yup! And west Texas is arid enough that temperatures drop quite a bit at night (similar to much of the southwest). So even if it is in the 90's during the day, it should drop quite a bit after dark. That's the nutty thing about deserts, they might be 100+ during the day, but they can drop close to freezing at night. Crazy.

1 minute ago, marycaryne said:

LOL This is my inspiration for my future career.

May the schwartz be with you! :D

8 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Yay @Pink Fuzzy Bunny that's awesome! I think I've already had my quarter life crisis and definitely feel way older than I am! All my grad school friends are in their 30s - wife, kids, saving for a house, so that's definitely the age I feel. I thought I'd be starting my program at 24 but I'll still be 23 (start the week before my birthday). It's crazy when I think back to what I've seen and done so far - everyone says I should write a book haha. Maybe I will. 

Really looking forward to making a life for myself in State College - my own apartment, my own stuff, new friends, keep up with my lifting and yoga, start hiking and exploring more. For those of you who feel like you have only acquaintances, it's because you haven't found your tribe yet. Thankfully I have some amazing friends - 5 of them I consider life-long ones - and I'm looking forward to making more during the PhD. Someone who wants a beer on a Friday would be good! I'm going to make an active effort to ensure my social life isn't entirely university-centric too. Get involved with locals and community things as well as campus life.

You should write a book... I'd read it :D

24 minutes ago, Neist said:

Yup! And west Texas is arid enough that temperatures drop quite a bit at night (similar to much of the southwest). So even if it is in the 90's during the day, it should drop quite a bit after dark. That's the nutty thing about deserts, they might be 100+ during the day, but they can drop close to freezing at night. Crazy.

May the schwartz be with you! :D

Yeah plus while I was in the southwest, it never felt as hot as it was. I think its because of the arid climate. But one thing I'm excited about is that geological features are actually exposed around there! Unlike here, where you either have to wait for winter or bring a knife with you so you could actually see the outcrops.

23 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You should write a book... I'd read it :D

Haha I've started. I spent my summers on a lake unchaperoned with a bunch of kids 5-6 years older than me from when I was 15 - 18. House parties every night, we all worked together - it was a lot of fun. Then I travelled by myself for a year - was in a plane crash, was kidnapped, was held at gun point, met some insanely awesome people, worked in some dodgy jobs, went BASE jumping, slept in a van, all sorts of stuff. Then I came back home, worked for the summer before starting university - one of my best friends died two weeks before I started undergrad. Then undergrad stories, combined with losing far too many people too young. In my summers I travelled more - went to fight camp in Thailand, surf camp in Bali, helped raise my friends kids in Australia. Worked at summer camp in the US. Worked in a holiday resort in Greece. Drove across the US in a van with my ex. Moved into a house with 3 random boys from the internet without meeting them. Doing my MSc at the top uni in the UK. Now the PhD at Penn State is the next chapter in the adventure!!! 

@Neist I'm in the UK so we live from 0C - 25C and nothing really outside those ranges. As you can see from above I've lived in the heat before but the cold I remember from winters in Canada so wanted to be prepared just in case. I don't actually own a winter coat - until today! 

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Haha I've started. I spent my summers on a lake unchaperoned with a bunch of kids 5-6 years older than me from when I was 15 - 18. House parties every night, we all worked together - it was a lot of fun. Then I travelled by myself for a year - was in a plane crash, was kidnapped, was held at gun point, met some insanely awesome people, worked in some dodgy jobs, went BASE jumping, slept in a van, all sorts of stuff. Then I came back home, worked for the summer before starting university - one of my best friends died two weeks before I started undergrad. Then undergrad stories, combined with losing far too many people too young. In my summers I travelled more - went to fight camp in Thailand, surf camp in Bali, helped raise my friends kids in Australia. Worked at summer camp in the US. Worked in a holiday resort in Greece. Drove across the US in a van with my ex. Moved into a house with 3 random boys from the internet without meeting them. Doing my MSc at the top uni in the UK. Now the PhD at Penn State is the next chapter in the adventure!!! 

Say what??? Now I REALLY want to read this book... seriously.

10 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Say what??? Now I REALLY want to read this book... seriously.

If I get some breathing space I'll keep writing. First 2 chapters are written... but yeah, going through all that means I definitely don't feel 23! 

2 hours ago, Neist said:

How's the weather where you're at now? Pennsylvania isn't too bad, but they definitely have a prolonged winter compared to Oklahoma. I'm not sure I'd really need any specialty clothing for Penn. Maybe some heavier winter pants. Winter pants are fantastic and comfy.

That said, I'm probably not a good judge. I've worn sandals, in the rain, right above freezing.

Although I have lived in OKC for the last 7 years, I am originally from Chicago. It's not only that the winters are prolonged up north, but it really is much more frigid. Sub zero wind chills are common, there is much more snow accumulation (to the point I laugh when the weather calls for a snow dusting here and everything starts shutting down), and more. I have a very heavy Columbia coat I wore regularly during Chicago winters. It has never once come out of my closet here in Oklahoma. We may have a couple days here and there that aren't very fun, but the winters here are pretty mild compared to the north.

6 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

Although I have lived in OKC for the last 7 years, I am originally from Chicago. It's not only that the winters are prolonged up north, but it really is much more frigid. Sub zero wind chills are common, there is much more snow accumulation (to the point I laugh when the weather calls for a snow dusting here and everything starts shutting down), and more. I have a very heavy Columbia coat I wore regularly during Chicago winters. It has never once come out of my closet here in Oklahoma. We may have a couple days here and there that aren't very fun, but the winters here are pretty mild compared to the north.

I'm really jealous... I've always hated Illinois winters (I'm 2 hours south of Chicago), so I can't wait to see what Ithaca brings me... :(

11 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm really jealous... I've always hated Illinois winters (I'm 2 hours south of Chicago), so I can't wait to see what Ithaca brings me... :(

Although I hate cold weather in general, I know we have it pretty good here when experiencing winter weather. I mean it's usually still in the 50s here in December. January is usually the coldest month and then we start seeing the 50s again in February. Any snow is usually gone within a day or two because it doesn't stay cold enough for it to last...and that's if it even sticks to begin with because the ground may be too warm. We will get the occasional ice storm but even that isn't typically long lasting. All of our family still lives in Chicago and while my husband and I may gripe about cold weather to each other just because we hate it, we don't say anything to our family because we know everything there is much worse. I'm looking forward to Florida "winters" again (we've lived there for a year in the past so we know what to expect). I feel for you with Ithaca. FIT was one of the schools I applied to and the winters alone was enough to make me question my sanity in applying. :lol:

57 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

Well, the Midwest is special. :) You get those Great Lakes weather patterns which makes states like Michigan or Minnesota among the coldest states in the continental US. Minnesota can sometimes dip to -30 to -40 range in the winter. In contrast, I have in laws in the Appalachians whom I've visited often in the winter (in northern West Virginia), and I've never considered even the high elevation areas all that bad. Prolonged winters, sure, but not so bad. I can't imagine much of Pennsylvania to be too terrible.

Oklahoma is pretty mild, but we have to deal with crazy weather patterns. We almost have no seasons. Remember a few months ago when we had like half a week of raining at 34F? That was fun. :D 

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah plus while I was in the southwest, it never felt as hot as it was. I think its because of the arid climate. But one thing I'm excited about is that geological features are actually exposed around there! Unlike here, where you either have to wait for winter or bring a knife with you so you could actually see the outcrops.

You'll be closer to some fantastic national parks, too! I've always wanted to go backpacking in some of the more "deserty" parks.

18 minutes ago, Neist said:

Well, the Midwest is special. :) You get those Great Lakes weather patterns which makes states like Michigan or Minnesota among the coldest states in the continental US. Minnesota can sometimes dip to -30 to -40 range in the winter. In contrast, I have in laws in the Appalachians whom I've visited often in the winter (in northern West Virginia), and I've never considered even the high elevation areas all that bad. Prolonged winters, sure, but not so bad. I can't imagine much of Pennsylvania to be too terrible.

Oklahoma is pretty mild, but we have to deal with crazy weather patterns. We almost have no seasons. Remember a few months ago when we had like half a week of raining at 34F? That was fun. :D 

You'll be closer to some fantastic national parks, too! I've always wanted to go backpacking in some of the more "deserty" parks.

I would have to say walnut canyon national monument, and the petrified forest were my favorites. I went to the grand canyon and it was pretty cool. But we only stayed on the tourist walkway since we saw a storm coming and we didn't want to hike through the rain. I also liked white sands national monument and carlsbad caverns national park. Just talking about it is making me excited to go back!

13 minutes ago, Neist said:

Funny...my husband and I have talked about how we actually experience seasons here. :lol: There's really no such thing as spring and fall in Chicago so that is one thing we have enjoyed. But I do agree they are pretty short lived. It isn't long before you're going from spring-like temperatures to a blazing hot summer. It's one thing about Florida that I like. Even though it does get hot and humid in the summer, it is typically offset by an afternoon shower that brings about a pleasant evening. Here it's hot and stays hot and everything is brown because of the lack of rain.

And yes, I can definitely remember that week. I used to work at Sooner Mall as the visual manager at the now closed Gap, and it was quite interesting trying to leave at closing because the area by our back door dipped, causing it to flood. We'd walk out with garbage bags tied up to our calves just to be able to walk through it. Had it been in the spring when the temperatures weren't cold it would have just been about the rain. But combined with freezing weather....UGH.

I have things to celebrate! I decided on my PhD program a few weeks ago and yesterday I found out I got an awesome (and very generous) government fellowship.

But.... I'm also still waiting. Mostly on one fellowship, which I'll hear about April 2-4.

It's a huge relief to have those big decisions in place, though! Now I'm moving on to the next stage of deciding if I want to live with a good friend from undergrad or university grad student housing.

58 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

I have things to celebrate! I decided on my PhD program a few weeks ago and yesterday I found out I got an awesome (and very generous) government fellowship.

But.... I'm also still waiting. Mostly on one fellowship, which I'll hear about April 2-4.

It's a huge relief to have those big decisions in place, though! Now I'm moving on to the next stage of deciding if I want to live with a good friend from undergrad or university grad student housing.

Congrats! That's a pretty amazing fellowship, if I can say so myself. Seems even better than the NSFGRFP.

1 hour ago, pterosaur said:

Congratulations! Fellowship is awesome!! Celebrate away :)