We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Hi everyone! @hippyscientist, thanks for starting this thread. Psyched to see you at PSU in the fall!

I've officially committed to Penn State- I knew it was the right place as soon as I met the faculty, and I can't wait to get there and actually start. That said, my good mood has been slightly hampered by a horrible experience with another school- they accepted me erroneously and probably wouldn't have noticed, but I emailed them to ask a question and they took it back. I was able to register for the housing waitlist and view the admitted students info and everything. It was a massive bummer, even though I knew I was in love with Penn State. They handled themselves really poorly (passing me around, not responding, spelling my name incorrectly in forwarded correspondence that I probably wasn't supposed to see), and barely apologized. I know that I should be over it, because of the dream PSU admit, but it was just so frustrating to actually be treated like a number, ya know? 

Ack, sorry for the sidetrack. Anyway. Huzzah, Penn State, and time to celebrate for real! I keep checking my e-mail waiting for notices about how to register, and then catching myself because it is way to early for that. :D 

Thought I'd go out on a limb and look around at housing in Boston/Cambridge today (haven't committed Harvard, but it's in the top two, probably, so....) But anyway: heading very quickly back to the wine! Yikes! More stress in that housing market than I really want right now.....but the excitement of Harvard still trumps all that, still, I think. :) 

3 hours ago, jlt646 said:

Hi everyone! @hippyscientist, thanks for starting this thread. Psyched to see you at PSU in the fall!

I've officially committed to Penn State- I knew it was the right place as soon as I met the faculty, and I can't wait to get there and actually start. That said, my good mood has been slightly hampered by a horrible experience with another school- they accepted me erroneously and probably wouldn't have noticed, but I emailed them to ask a question and they took it back. I was able to register for the housing waitlist and view the admitted students info and everything. It was a massive bummer, even though I knew I was in love with Penn State. They handled themselves really poorly (passing me around, not responding, spelling my name incorrectly in forwarded correspondence that I probably wasn't supposed to see), and barely apologized. I know that I should be over it, because of the dream PSU admit, but it was just so frustrating to actually be treated like a number, ya know? 

Ack, sorry for the sidetrack. Anyway. Huzzah, Penn State, and time to celebrate for real! I keep checking my e-mail waiting for notices about how to register, and then catching myself because it is way to early for that. :D 

Wow that's horrible! Looks like you dodged a bullet with that school. Can you imagine what it would be like to actually get involved here?

Congrats on Penn State!

3 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Thought I'd go out on a limb and look around at housing in Boston/Cambridge today (haven't committed Harvard, but it's in the top two, probably, so....) But anyway: heading very quickly back to the wine! Yikes! More stress in that housing market than I really want right now.....but the excitement of Harvard still trumps all that, still, I think. :) 

Just think of it this way... if you play your cards right, you'll only have to do it once!

4 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

I know the struggle... I did my undergrad in Boston and will be headed to Havard in the fall. Things are further complicated by the fact that all leases start September 1 and orientation in August 24.

I've no idea what the Boston housing market is like @haltheincandescent but I know the one in State College seems pretty bad. If you don't want to live near undergrads you have a battle on your hands!! 

@jlt646 i know what you mean about wanting to register! I think I've figured out what I want to take and what fulfils the requirements but I can't access LionPath properly yet and still am waiting for the official stuff from the Graduate School. My ID number gives me access to certain areas but not all of them - I can access student gym memberships but not LionPath for example. 

In totally unrelated news, my ex's best friend (I always thought they'd end up together) is engaged. This makes me happy because she's awesome but I know my ex hates the guy! 

9 hours ago, dinny said:

Only applied to 2 schools after convincing myself NOT to go to graduate school, but did so 'just in case'... ended up getting admitted to both (great programs). Will happily be in Chapel Hill (BBSP) in the fall :) 

Hey, @dinny and anyone else who will be at UNC-CH! I'm a senior there (currently about to head off to my own grad school adventure) and am happy to answer any questions you have about the place!! Just let me know :)

12 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

I had very briefly considered applying to Harvard history of science, but I quickly gave up on that endeavor. Renting anything there is insane. :wacko:

Great thread idea, @hippyscientist! I thank all of you for being an awesome whine/wine support group over the last 6-7 months.

This week is packed with grad school open houses for me. Today and tomorrow is UT-Austin, Thursday and Friday is UWashington, and Saturday is UMinnesota. All new cities and states I've never been to.

@RCtheSS I loved Austin (only one I've been to on that list). Such a quirky, fun place! NOw I can't remember any names but when I was there I found the most amazing hole-in-the-wall cafe that did the BEST breakfast smoothie and poached eggs with avocado toast. It was so cool, like you ate in a little herb garden place. Thats not particularly helpful though-  sorry!!!

7 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I've no idea what the Boston housing market is like @haltheincandescent but I know the one in State College seems pretty bad. If you don't want to live near undergrads you have a battle on your hands!! 

It's more a problem of cost (the low for a studio seems to be 1500!) and not being sure if I'll have much of a chance to actually get there for the purpose of looking for a place to stay. There seem to be some sort of affordable places, if one is willing to have several housemates (which I am), but, knowing no one else, and also not knowing where a good area would be is making it harder... Going into it very blind right now....

8 hours ago, pterosaur said:

I know the struggle... I did my undergrad in Boston and will be headed to Havard in the fall. Things are further complicated by the fact that all leases start September 1 and orientation in August 24.

I'm vaguely considering at this point just going with the dorms for the first year--it's guaranteed, it's not outrageously expensive (even if slightly more than the cheaper options I've found around craigslist), it'll get me there before orientation, and I'll avoid the even-greater-chaos of trying to find a place mid-April without really being able to visit. Then, hopefully over that first year I'll either be able to find people to room with for the following year, or will at least know the area better and will actually be present to do tours and the like. Lots to sacrifice in terms of back-to-dorm quality of living (yikes, communal showers, again), but I think I can survive 10 months in exchange for the up-front convenience. Maybe. Going to chat with students while I'm visiting about what they're doing, and am spending a couple of nights with a host in the dorms, so, that might help clear things up.

Just now, hippyscientist said:

@RCtheSS I loved Austin (only one I've been to on that list). Such a quirky, fun place! NOw I can't remember any names but when I was there I found the most amazing hole-in-the-wall cafe that did the BEST breakfast smoothie and poached eggs with avocado toast. It was so cool, like you ate in a little herb garden place. Thats not particularly helpful though-  sorry!!!

Mmm, that sounds right up my alley! This city is AMAZING for food--so many unique eateries on every corner. I'm staying with friends so I'll just show them your post and see if we can figure out where that cafe is, lol.

3 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

Mmm, that sounds right up my alley! This city is AMAZING for food--so many unique eateries on every corner. I'm staying with friends so I'll just show them your post and see if we can figure out where that cafe is, lol.

It was on a street that seemed to be quite popular with students...lots of thrift shops and stuff. I'm having a look through my photos to see if I can find any identifying features!

EDIT: Down the street near the crossroads with colorado, and the iron signpost that's all old=school with phrases like "ticknock and rockbrook". That's as specific as I can get! 

Edited by hippyscientist

36 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Just a reminder that today is Easter clearance candy day. GO BUY SOME PEEPS

Noooo don't tell me this! My cut starts today :( 4 months of maintaining muscle and getting rid of my bulk weight. No chocolate or sweeties over here. Or wine. Or tequila. Come august all you Penn Staters need to be ready for tacos and tequila (or a soft drink of your choice :) ). 

5 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Noooo don't tell me this! My cut starts today :( 4 months of maintaining muscle and getting rid of my bulk weight. No chocolate or sweeties over here. Or wine. Or tequila. Come august all you Penn Staters need to be ready for tacos and tequila (or a soft drink of your choice :) ). 

Well, it's a little hard to get authentic Cadbury chocolate here in the US, so you should be fine once you get here, if that's your poison. :) 

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Well, it's a little hard to get authentic Cadbury chocolate here in the US, so you should be fine once you get here, if that's your poison. :) 

Ugh don't remind me. It'll be good for my chocolate addiction in the long run (although I love ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate) but the withdrawal period is not going to be fun! Mind you I adapted well at camp - rolos stuffed inside marshmallows then toasted and squished between frozen cookie dough. Okay, now I'm realising why I put weight on at camp...

Totally unrelated note: I've been really wanting to get a puppy for a while, my apartment will let me have pets, my department will let it come in and chill in the office. Seems like grad school is about the right time. Hopefully this time next year I'll have my little woof. Is that totally crazy getting a puppy in first year?!?! 

Edited by hippyscientist

Ghirardelli (don't know how to spell either) is my spirit animal, hippy... those caramel ones though :'(

A puppy is a lot of work...the tricky part is being able to let it out when  you're at work (surely you won't take it with you all day everyday), because puppies need to pee ridiculously often. I'm hesitating to get a cat (or two :)) although I've been wanting to get one for years, because I don't think I'll be home all that much... just saying,  you may want to try out grad school for awhile and see what your schedule is like. But then again, I don't know :D

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny oh the caramel ones...I bought a huge bag that stayed in my car as "stuck in traffic" snacks. They were gone within a week! 

The puppy thing is something I need to look into more, and definitely settle in first! I can exercise him/her a lot, it really is the first few months. I was thinking if I got one after my quals (which I take end of spring semester first year) I'd have all summer with the awkward peeing and no sleep phase - plus somehow getting up at 2am to take the puppy out to pee is a lot more bearable when it's not freezing outside. Oh it's the dream to have a little one - breed I'm looking at is only ~ 12lbs fully grown. The perfect apartment dog and suits my personality down to a tee! Aww man, I've talked myself into it more haha.

12 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Ugh don't remind me. It'll be good for my chocolate addiction in the long run (although I love ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate) but the withdrawal period is not going to be fun! Mind you I adapted well at camp - rolos stuffed inside marshmallows then toasted and squished between frozen cookie dough. Okay, now I'm realising why I put weight on at camp...

That sounds... declicious. :D 

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny oh the caramel ones...I bought a huge bag that stayed in my car as "stuck in traffic" snacks. They were gone within a week! 

The puppy thing is something I need to look into more, and definitely settle in first! I can exercise him/her a lot, it really is the first few months. I was thinking if I got one after my quals (which I take end of spring semester first year) I'd have all summer with the awkward peeing and no sleep phase - plus somehow getting up at 2am to take the puppy out to pee is a lot more bearable when it's not freezing outside. Oh it's the dream to have a little one - breed I'm looking at is only ~ 12lbs fully grown. The perfect apartment dog and suits my personality down to a tee! Aww man, I've talked myself into it more haha.

I grew up with a Yorkie..the cutest little 11 lb thing, but she sure was sassy!

I can't wait to move..I know I won't be able to handle a puppy so I'm thinking about getting a cat for grad school. Where I live now didn't allow animals, so I'm suuuuper excited.

3 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

I grew up with a Yorkie..the cutest little 11 lb thing, but she sure was sassy!

I can't wait to move..I know I won't be able to handle a puppy so I'm thinking about getting a cat for grad school. Where I live now didn't allow animals, so I'm suuuuper excited.

I think the thing is with a pet - it's someone who's going to be there to keep us company, force us to take a break from work, force us to focus on something - you gotta get dressed every day to take it out, you gotta feed them, you gotta give them love. It's good to get a forced break from screen-time. Plus - all the fun they bring, the love, the giggles, the exercise. All of it is beneficial. The way I see it - grad school is a job, and I'm not going to put my life on hold because of it. Balance is key. Guess I'd better start saving :P