We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Just now, hippyscientist said:

Still, working there for 4 years, that's impressive! I can understand why you call it yours!!

Wow like every christmas we did carols in the museum for people, we used to go on school trips all the time to museums and places! One of the perks of living in Europe is the history and the accessibility - in Year 6 (~10 and 11 years old) we went to France for a week and did a lot of the old war stuff. My undergrad university wasn't too far from Stonehenge either so we actually had some awesome trips! We had our high school leavers dance in a zoo!! 

And its finally coming together! We had a budget of 450,000 which got slashed to 120,000, mutiple delays, an unimpressed administration, etc. But we are making it! My mentor said once the museum is done he is officially retiring. He even said when they look for his replacement to run the museum, he will put in a good word for me. Btw I'm super jealous of you!

4 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@hippyscientist Haha, sorry! I've been working on this for 4 years along with my mentor so I think of it as my museum. But its actually the university's museum! And that sounds like so much fun. I wish I went to museums as fieldtrips, we mainly went to jamestown, colonial williamsburg, etc. We went to a petting zoo once!

Museums taught real science... not creationism and jesus-y "science"... so we weren't allowed to go to those on fieldtrips. However, my grandparents use to take me to the COSI museum. It was a super awesome hands on childrens museum. If you google it and look at pictures it still looks awesome even as an adult. 

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@hippyscientist Haha, sorry! I've been working on this for 4 years along with my mentor so I think of it as my museum. But its actually the university's museum! And that sounds like so much fun. I wish I went to museums as fieldtrips, we mainly went to jamestown, colonial williamsburg, etc. We went to a petting zoo once!

I took a museum studies course when I was an art history major that was pretty much entirely museum field trips. About half of the class was discussion and theory, and the other half was field trips.

Was a fantastic class. :) It's one reason why I know a lot of the quirkier museums around here.

Guys, can I please pick your brains? All my writing buddies have gone home for Easter break and my brain has given up on me. What's a sciency way to say idiot-check? In the context I'm trying to make sure my results are sensible. Ohhhh did I just answer my own question? N.B. don't try to write a 3000 word report in a day, brain goes to mush!

Edited by hippyscientist

4 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Guys, can I please pick your brains? All my writing buddies have gone home for Easter break and my brain has given up on me. What's a sciency way to say idiot-check? 

peer review... lol. jk

36 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Guys, can I please pick your brains? All my writing buddies have gone home for Easter break and my brain has given up on me. What's a sciency way to say idiot-check? In the context I'm trying to make sure my results are sensible. Ohhhh did I just answer my own question? N.B. don't try to write a 3000 word report in a day, brain goes to mush!

Like, trying to make sure things are in layman's terms?

@Effloresce I got it :) I was trying to explain how I checked my preliminary results to make sure they were sensible before going on to the more complex analysis but was having a total mind block on how to verbalise it. 

Spring is well and truly in the air here which means one thing - allergies. I can already feel my face starting to swell :(

12 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Effloresce I got it :) I was trying to explain how I checked my preliminary results to make sure they were sensible before going on to the more complex analysis but was having a total mind block on how to verbalise it. 

Spring is well and truly in the air here which means one thing - allergies. I can already feel my face starting to swell :(

glad you got it! and oh nooooooo, get those anti-histamines ready.

i made a little facebook post about where i'm going to grad school!..well actually I just updated my info and facebook shared it so..now everyone knows!

18 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

I just signed my GA contract and filled out a rental application so... it's happening! Oof. Overwhelmed. 

ugh... I am soooo jealous... I still haven't heard anything about assistantships, or actually anything really. Let the overwhelmed feelings be happy :)

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker for a while (I may have posted early in the Wait, Whine, Wine thread). I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their decisions and say thanks for creating such a positive community during such a stressful time! I'll be moving to Irvine in the fall (not very far from where I am now), and I'm really nervous and excited! I met my cohort at recruitment day, and I'm the youngest one (senior in college)! :o Also @Pink Fuzzy Bunny CONGRATS! Try not to worry about your hair! It's an awesome opportunity! :D

39 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker for a while (I may have posted early in the Wait, Whine, Wine thread). I just wanted to congratulate everyone on their decisions and say thanks for creating such a positive community during such a stressful time! I'll be moving to Irvine in the fall (not very far from where I am now), and I'm really nervous and excited! I met my cohort at recruitment day, and I'm the youngest one (senior in college)! :o Also @Pink Fuzzy Bunny CONGRATS! Try not to worry about your hair! It's an awesome opportunity! :D

You made your decision? Congrats! :) I can't remember if you told anyone here that or not.

@sjoh197 @Neist Yeah I think science museums are the best, but I'm completely bias. :) But in funny/awkward news my sociology professor handed me a typed up letter from their department head saying how my professor has recommended me to be a sociology major. I'm flattered that he recommended me, but I'm graduating..... I emailed him saying thanks and it feels great that he sees potential since I'm planning on using some sociology techniques for my masters thesis. He pointed me to one of their faculty who could actually help me find resources for my masters thesis. And this is why I love my school!

4 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

YAY!!! Where did you apply for? It's so exciting! 

4 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

ugh... I am soooo jealous... I still haven't heard anything about assistantships, or actually anything really. Let the overwhelmed feelings be happy :)

Thanks! I found a duplex on Atherton that isn't part of a complex- the person I'm looking into moving in with has been in SC for five years, and seems awesome. The house is cute and big and the price is right. My big sacrifice is that it's not a gas stove, but I can deal with it for a little while. There's sunlight! And a yard! 

I hope you hear soon, @sjoh197- the waiting was the worst part, for sure. /: Keep us posted! 

2 hours ago, anxietygirl said:

Thanks @Neist and @Pink Fuzzy Bunny! I may have made a post a while back, but I'm not sure. I'm really excited! UCI has a bunch of professors that I want to work with (and its 5 minutes from the beach)! Congrats on Cornell and UO!! Those are great programs! 

Thanks a bunch! I admit, I'm pretty happy I got off the funding wait list. Wait list dreams do happen. :) 

21 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

And this is why I love my school!

You know, this cycle has lead me to believe that the trait I've valued the most in the programs I eventually leaned towards was a welcome, friendly atmosphere. 

I think people can grow tremendously if they are content with their environment. :) But that's me. I'm sure others are different.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Thanks a bunch! I admit, I'm pretty happy I got off the funding wait list. Wait list dreams do happen. :) 

You know, this cycle has lead me to believe that the trait I've valued the most in the programs I eventually leaned towards was a welcome, friendly atmosphere. 

I think people can grow tremendously if they are content with their environment. :) But that's me. I'm sure others are different.

I think so too, I mean a prime example is the South Harmon Institute of Technology :D

And now for some random thoughts while I continue to procrastinate on taking any steps toward my move......

Do grad students carry purses?  I do love a good purse, but with all the time I'll be spending on campus I think I'm going to look like some crazy bag lady.  I'll need a backpack or messenger bag for class/research related stuff.  Maybe I'll even need a laptop and that would need a bag too.  I'll have my gym bag because the campus gym is free and I'll definitely use it.  Then there's my lunch bag which will likely have breakfast and lunch, sometimes dinner in it.  The purse is where I'd put my must haves, but that's a lot of bags right?  

With all the welcoming and friendly chatter on here what are the odds of us still chattering like this decades from now?

In my bathroom I have 9 different deodorants.  9!  I rotate them monthly so they're not wasted.  If I fly to my new city and put all of them in my suitcase will TSA find this concerning?  Shouldn't they just be happy I don't stink?  How come airplanes haven't been designed to take the stink out of the air yet?  This is exactly the kind of thing I'd keep from a future husband.  I'd hide them under some loose floorboard in the basement and sneak off daily to use them like some junkie needing a fix.

Yet another stupid school has sent me a follow up rejection letter as if I was too stupid to comprehend the first one or something.  A**holes!

I'm going to spare all of you brain cell killing time by informing you that the new Criminal Minds spin off is terrible.  You're welcome.

Man I'm hungry......

6 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

And now for some random thoughts while I continue to procrastinate on taking any steps toward my move......

Do grad students carry purses?  I do love a good purse, but with all the time I'll be spending on campus I think I'm going to look like some crazy bag lady.  I'll need a backpack or messenger bag for class/research related stuff.  Maybe I'll even need a laptop and that would need a bag too.  I'll have my gym bag because the campus gym is free and I'll definitely use it.  Then there's my lunch bag which will likely have breakfast and lunch, sometimes dinner in it.  The purse is where I'd put my must haves, but that's a lot of bags right?  

With all the welcoming and friendly chatter on here what are the odds of us still chattering like this decades from now?

In my bathroom I have 9 different deodorants.  9!  I rotate them monthly so they're not wasted.  If I fly to my new city and put all of them in my suitcase will TSA find this concerning?  Shouldn't they just be happy I don't stink?  How come airplanes haven't been designed to take the stink out of the air yet?  This is exactly the kind of thing I'd keep from a future husband.  I'd hide them under some loose floorboard in the basement and sneak off daily to use them like some junkie needing a fix.

Yet another stupid school has sent me a follow up rejection letter as if I was too stupid to comprehend the first one or something.  A**holes!

I'm going to spare all of you brain cell killing time by informing you that the new Criminal Minds spin off is terrible.  You're welcome.

Man I'm hungry......

If having too many bags is wrong, I don't want to be right! I have three deodorants, one for the bathroom, one for my bag (I sweat a lot), and a backup just incase somehow to breaks. So you aren't alone!

14 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

If I fly to my new city and put all of them in my suitcase will TSA find this concerning?  Shouldn't they just be happy I don't stink?  How come airplanes haven't been designed to take the stink out of the air yet?  

My suitcase has been bomb swabbed every single time I've flown for about 2 years now. Literally every time. And I fly a lot. They always take out all of my rocks and swab them. 

Sooo... at the very most, some tsa person will swab your deodorant sticks lol.

2 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

My suitcase has been bomb swabbed every single time I've flown for about 2 years now. Literally every time. And I fly a lot. They always take out all of my rocks and swab them. 

Sooo... at the very most, some tsa person will swab your deodorant sticks lol.

Somehow this mental picture of TSA personal swabbing deodorant sticks is super funny! I've actually never realized that there isn't a limit of deodorant you can bring on the plane. Wonder why

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Somehow this mental picture of TSA personal swabbing deodorant sticks is super funny! I've actually never realized that there isn't a limit of deodorant you can bring on the plane. Wonder why

Maybe it's really hard to make bombs out of deodorant. 

Apparently it's super easy to make them out of rocks though.