We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

@hippyscientist Sounds like you have better luck with dying it yourself than many of us. :) I've been dying my hair for years and fortunately it is still fairly healthy, but I'm too afraid to bleach it! I am thinking of getting my hair dyed a reddish colour but while I have some extra money I'm going to invest in getting it done professionally (I have woken up too often with bright orange hair.. apparently I have a lot of red hidden in my natural hair so most dyes pick up on that and I end up with a weird bright strawberry colour instead of a blond or brown etc...)

Edited by Danger_Zone

35 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

@hippyscientist Sounds like you have better luck with dying it yourself than many of us. :) I've been dying my hair for years and fortunately it is still fairly healthy, but I'm too afraid to bleach it! I am thinking of getting my hair dyed a reddish colour but while I have some extra money I'm going to invest in getting it done professionally (I have woken up too often with bright orange hair.. apparently I have a lot of red hidden in my natural hair so most dyes pick up on that and I end up with a weird bright strawberry colour instead of a blond or brown etc...)

Oh trust me I have some absolute horror stories. Typically if I'm lightening from really dark I'll go to the salon but if I just need to sort my roots out I'll bleach it at home. Bright orange hair is remarkably frustrating and I've had it more times than I can count! 

45 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

No my natural hair colour is slightly darker than mousey brown. I've bleached mine at home too many times. Again, I just buy the box and voila. I think the worst was when my drunk aunt decided to bleach my hair while I was sleeping aged 8. I went to bed a brunette and woke up with cold water being thrown on my face and orange hair. It was ORANGE. And not a cool orange. You've never seen anyone more mad than my parents! 

At least it didn't fall out. ^_^

I've heard that's happen to people.

After visiting three different social work programs this week, I now have the desire to dye my hair blue! Not all of it at least; I'm thinking dark blue or indigo highlights that can blend in well with my natural black hair.

I've always had my hair professionally colored, it seems to risky otherwise. I've never really done any crazy colors unless you count the super tacky brass chunky highlights with red hair :lol:. My taste was definitely questionable back then!

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I've always had my hair professionally colored, it seems to risky otherwise. I've never really done any crazy colors unless you count the super tacky brass chunky highlights with red hair :lol:. My taste was definitely questionable back then!

Yeah, I've only had my hair colored with a professional hair stylist. Right now I have a burgundy red color that's been growing out since last July, but it's pretty subtle unless I'm standing under lighting.

I've always gone with highlights or dyes that can blend in well with my natural color, so I hope I can pull off a dark blue tone in the same way.

Just now, RCtheSS said:

Yeah, I've only had my hair colored with a professional hair stylist. Right now I have a burgundy red color that's been growing out since last July, but it's pretty subtle unless I'm standing under lighting.

I've always gone with highlights or dyes that can blend in well with my natural color, so I hope I can pull off a dark blue tone in the same way.

Sounds super pretty! tbh I have no idea what my natural hair color is, I've been dying it on/off since I was 13. Might be brown with a hint of auburn? That's the color it becomes after a dye wears off! I will have to say finding a hair stylist who knows how to cut/style curly hair is takes forever. I'm already looking for one in Lubbock.

Sounds super pretty! tbh I have no idea what my natural hair color is, I've been dying it on/off since I was 13. Might be brown with a hint of auburn? That's the color it becomes after a dye wears off! I will have to say finding a hair stylist who knows how to cut/style curly hair is takes forever. I'm already looking for one in Lubbock.

I know this feel all too well about finding a new salon. I've been going to the same stylist (same one my mom has gone to my whole life!) since I was 12. When I moved for undergrad, 4 hours away from my hometown, I would still make the drive back to see him. Now I live in DC and I still make appointments to see him at least twice a year! I've only strayed from his salon once in all these years.

Now that I'll be relocating away from the east coast entirely, I'll be really pushed to do some footwork to find another salon/stylist. I've always been told to look for someone who has a similar hair type to yours, and if you like how it looks, ask them where they get it done!

1 minute ago, RCtheSS said:

I know this feel all too well about finding a new salon. I've been going to the same stylist (same one my mom has gone to my whole life!) since I was 12. When I moved for undergrad, 4 hours away from my hometown, I would still make the drive back to see him. Now I live in DC and I still make appointments to see him at least twice a year! I've only strayed from his salon once in all these years.

Now that I'll be relocating away from the east coast entirely, I'll be really pushed to do some footwork to find another salon/stylist. I've always been told to look for someone who has a similar hair type to yours, and if you like how it looks, ask them where they get it done!

I actually did that and that's how I found my current stylist! I also google "Hair Salons for Curly Hair" and I look at the reviews. My boyfriend likes to call my hair "flippy" :D

6 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Oooohhh salons. That's a point. Ehh I'll figure it out when I've moved, I only get my hair cut twice a year as is. But I would like someone who could actually make it look decent. I'm fed up with the puffball that's on my head at the minute.

I used to get my hair relaxed (chemically straightened, pretty much) until 2014 when I started regrowing my natural curly hair. Having a decent-sized afro is really fun to play with:D Now I need to be sure whoever styles my hair is accustomed to my hair texture, especially with my tight curls.

Bleh, this all reminds me that I'm a bridesmaid for my friend's wedding this weekend... I hope her hired stylist knows what she's in for with my hair. 

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Oooohhh salons. That's a point. Ehh I'll figure it out when I've moved, I only get my hair cut twice a year as is. But I would like someone who could actually make it look decent. I'm fed up with the puffball that's on my head at the minute.

I wish I could be laid back, but then I freak out when I don't have at least an idea of what I'm doing/where I'm going. I think I'm very protective of my hair because it use to be an afro. I've finally tamed it! I have short hair and it grows fast so I get it cut every 6 weeks. If you have frizz, I highly suggest a diffuser and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie or bumble & bumble styling cream.

If you have frizz, I highly suggest a diffuser and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie or bumble & bumble styling cream.

These words. I have no idea what they are!! I am the worst excuse for a girl ever. Dying my hair and fake tanning are literally the only girly things I do. Everything else...umm I need help! I will use google but thanks for the suggestions :)

2 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I used to get my hair relaxed (chemically straightened, pretty much) until 2014 when I started regrowing my natural curly hair. Having a decent-sized afro is really fun to play with:D Now I need to be sure whoever styles my hair is accustomed to my hair texture, especially with my tight curls.

Bleh, this all reminds me that I'm a bridesmaid for my friend's wedding this weekend... I hope her hired stylist knows what she's in for with my hair. 

I use to do that treatment as well! Did yours smell like fish too? Its awful lol. And good luck! Maybe ask the stylist to see her portfolio?

Just now, hippyscientist said:

These words. I have no idea what they are!! I am the worst excuse for a girl ever. Dying my hair and fake tanning are literally the only girly things I do. Everything else...umm I need help! I will use google but thanks for the suggestions :)

Anytime! You attach a hair diffuser to a blow dryer so you can actually dry your hair and not have to wait for hours because air drying takes forever. And those styling creams have been life savers! I've had little kids ask me if I'm annie many times, which I think is pretty awesome.

I use to do that treatment as well! Did yours smell like fish too? Its awful lol. And good luck! Maybe ask the stylist to see her portfolio?

Hahaha I was getting my hair relaxed for 10 years and that smell was always so pungent. I also didn't like how it dried out my scalp at all! My bride-to-be friend fully supports me rocking my fro and I think she's already told the stylist about it. Bobby pins are my best friends lately, so I'm sure we can all come up with a decent-looking 'do for the big day.

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Anytime! You attach a hair diffuser to a blow dryer so you can actually dry your hair and not have to wait for hours because air drying takes forever. And those styling creams have been life savers! I've had little kids ask me if I'm annie many times, which I think is pretty awesome.

Awesome! That's gotta be a pain to look after though. Mine is just super wavy and gets kinked easily, plus lots of working in the sun and sea for years means it's got all sorts of UV damage, salt damage and general ugh. I've tried hair masks and essential oils once in a blue moon but seeing as beach bum hair was in vogue for a while I've gotten out of the habit of looking after it. I miss the days of being able to go straight from work to the bar and people would think I'd put effort in to the blonde nest on my head!

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

Awesome! That's gotta be a pain to look after though. Mine is just super wavy and gets kinked easily, plus lots of working in the sun and sea for years means it's got all sorts of UV damage, salt damage and general ugh. I've tried hair masks and essential oils once in a blue moon but seeing as beach bum hair was in vogue for a while I've gotten out of the habit of looking after it. I miss the days of being able to go straight from work to the bar and people would think I'd put effort in to the blonde nest on my head!

It was growing up but now I know what works for my hair so its pretty relaxing. I find doing my hair/makeup is pampering and I can only think about myself. Those 30 mins are definitely worth getting  up a bit earlier. That effortless look was something I've always wanted to try but I'm as effortless as wily coyote haha

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You guys have so much more skill than I do... but my friend has assured me that while I'm in New York and half of my hair is dark brown (natural) and half of it is still bleached, I could probably dye it brown on my own :D We'll see!

I lack hair styling skills, like I have no idea how to braid, put my hair up in a pony tail, or even a bun. I pretty much leave my hair down every single day. I'm growing out a pixie and I'm paranoid it might go into mullet territory :lol:

33 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I agree!  I would never trust myself to put chemicals on my own head and still have hair afterwards.  Then again I'm kind of boring when it comes to hair and I have added highlights exactly once and it took my stylist 9 years to convince me lol.

23 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I am dreading the hunt for a new stylist.  My old stylist moved and I've been with a new one for a year now and have finally got her accustomed to what I want.  Of course I'm so vain I've already worked into my budget trips home to see her in case it takes longer than expected to find someone.

8 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

You're not using an spf product for your hair?!?!?  Or at the very least wearing a hat?!  It may seem silly, but go into a nursing and see what those people who didn't maintain their hair look like.  Frightening rats nests with patches of bald!

I hate going to the hairdresser because the always want to "do stuff" to my hair. And I'm like no... Just a trim please.

I don't dye, straighten, curl, blow dry, nothing. And they always want to make things complicated. I finally found this guy that does exactly what I want.