We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

I'm guessing you got in at UL.... since there isn't anything else actually in lafayette. 

It's hot and humid... just like the rest of the state. There's not a whole lot going on in the city, although you'll be busy school wise anyways. Lots of rural tract people, and a lot of the people there are big into hunting and fishing (It's the only outdoor activity available unless you play football). 

People there "like" the ragin cajuns but in reality they're all still LSU football fans. 

I've been told the area around the uni is mostly safe, but I don't really know a lot of people who go there... just people who live in the lafayette. 

This sounds a lot like the area of Michigan where I grew up - the hunting and fishing and football part. I can deal with that. Hot and humid... ugh. I'll have to adjust. Thanks for the info. :)

2 minutes ago, yayspace said:

This sounds a lot like the area of Michigan where I grew up - the hunting and fishing and football part. I can deal with that. Hot and humid... ugh. I'll have to adjust. Thanks for the info. :)

What part of mich did you grow up in?

So... the heat is one thing, but the humidity is what really gets you. It hits you like a wall. I don't know if you're a girl or a guy... but there are lots of tips and tricks you have to use if you're a girl who wears makeup and does her hair and stuff. 

Also, regardless of gender, I would probably recommend having a jacket or something in you backpack or whatever you carry, because the building are extra- air conditioned and the humidity sticks to you outside so when you go inside you start freezing. 

2 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

What part of mich did you grow up in?

So... the heat is one thing, but the humidity is what really gets you. It hits you like a wall. I don't know if you're a girl or a guy... but there are lots of tips and tricks you have to use if you're a girl who wears makeup and does her hair and stuff. 

Also, regardless of gender, I would probably recommend having a jacket or something in you backpack or whatever you carry, because the building are extra- air conditioned and the humidity sticks to you outside so when you go inside you start freezing. 

A little place called Stanwood, near Big Rapids.. which is near Grand Rapids. I'm a girl and rarely wear makeup, but I would definitely be interested in tips. I don't do anything to my hair except wash it and comb it. It's straight, which I think will be good in humidity. I do tend to get heat rash. The jacket tip is very helpful! 

1 minute ago, yayspace said:

A little place called Stanwood, near Big Rapids.. which is near Grand Rapids. I'm a girl and rarely wear makeup, but I would definitely be interested in tips. I don't do anything to my hair except wash it and comb it. It's straight, which I think will be good in humidity. I do tend to get heat rash. The jacket tip is very helpful! 

I'm jealous... I grew up hopping between ypsi, the flint area, and dearborn. 

So... keeping some kind of fan or something is important. The humidity in the air prevents your sweat from evaporating, which is how you cool down. So your body overheats easily. So you have to help with that evaporation with some kind of fan. 

Lightweight quick dry wicking clothes are great. Also... something like the summer's eve body deodorant spray helps keep you from sweating in places you get heat rash, like in between your boobs. And bra's without padding are better for not getting gross. And using a daily eczema lotion helps prevent heat rash some as well. 

18 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I'm jealous... I grew up hopping between ypsi, the flint area, and dearborn. 

So... keeping some kind of fan or something is important. The humidity in the air prevents your sweat from evaporating, which is how you cool down. So your body overheats easily. So you have to help with that evaporation with some kind of fan. 

Lightweight quick dry wicking clothes are great. Also... something like the summer's eve body deodorant spray helps keep you from sweating in places you get heat rash, like in between your boobs. And bra's without padding are better for not getting gross. And using a daily eczema lotion helps prevent heat rash some as well. 

Ugh. This is so helpful. I inherited my German grandmother's generous bosom, so the summer's eve stuff will definitely be on my shopping list. I never thought I'd need to own a fan. I thought that only happened in the movies. LOL. Thank you!!

4 minutes ago, yayspace said:

Ugh. This is so helpful. I inherited my German grandmother's generous bosom, so the summer's eve stuff will definitely be on my shopping list. I never thought I'd need to own a fan. I thought that only happened in the movies. LOL. Thank you!!

You know... those little Japanese cloth fan things (my lack of cultural knowledge is shining through) that fold out. I had one of those and it was pretty awesome. I was always soooo jealous of the women walking around like... "I don't need a bra. Ladee da. I'm so awesome." And I'm over here like dammit its hot, I wish I could run around like its 1975. But alas... I cannot. 

So I think I've actually settled into my gut decision and feel somewhat sure about which university I'll attend in the fall. Yay!

Too bad I can't afford to put down any enrollment deposits at the moment... I think I'll start declining the other schools for the time being.

Hey guys IUPUI reach out to me saying how they still don't have my transcript yet I've sent it twice now.....I've already accepted Texas Tech. So how should I word this email saying thanks but no thanks? The museum world is small and people talk. I'm just trying to find a good balance.

9 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

They also make dry wicking undies!  

14 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Hey guys IUPUI reach out to me saying how they still don't have my transcript yet I've sent it twice now.....I've already accepted Texas Tech. So how should I word this email saying thanks but no thanks? The museum world is small and people talk. I'm just trying to find a good balance.

I would just say something like "thank you for letting me know, however I have decided to accept a place at another program."

1 minute ago, MarineBluePsy said:

They also make dry wicking undies!  

I would just say something like "thank you for letting me know, however I have decided to accept a place at another program."

Yeah it really is that simple, just for some odd reason I like to torture myself! My boyfriend keeps telling me that they don't care as much as I do ( in a gentle way), I'm just wondering if my university has found a black hole on the route to Indianapolis <_<

15 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah it really is that simple, just for some odd reason I like to torture myself! My boyfriend keeps telling me that they don't care as much as I do ( in a gentle way), I'm just wondering if my university has found a black hole on the route to Indianapolis <_<

From Indiana: can confirm that Indianapolis is actually just a black hole.

But, also: yeah: I sent something similar to that everywhere I declined, and everyone was really nice about it (well.....except one place, but, whatever. Not hardly the norm), so, I'm sure everything will be fine (and, if it's not for whatever silly reason: it's definitely not you: it's them)

Edited by haltheincandescent

@sjoh197 That's really pretty too! Did you learn by yourself or go to a class/watched videos. I may take up painting as a stress reliever. @haltheincandescent LOL, well I found some aspects of Indianapolis nice and other aspects not so much. Do you have an impression of IUPUI?

I took an art class in 9th grade... lol. But really I just started painting random things... mostly stuff I found on pinterest. There are lots of easy painting things on there. And I find that palette knife painting is absolutely the most forgiving for beginner painters, that's why I use it so much lol. Acrylics are your friend. It really is an awesome stress reliever. 

Here's my idea board https://www.pinterest.com/sjohn19999/art/

@yayspace Thanks.... it only took like an hour or two to make because it's so small. 

hahaha, @Need Coffee in an IV, Indianapolis is really mostly fine, but Indiana's government has been doing some rather questionable things lately (I think), so it's a place that (with deep regrets for other reasons) I'm happy to be leaving. But, I'm also not actually from Indy--so no significant or unbiased impressions. (Bloomington all the way :) )

@haltheincandescent thanks for the impression! Its always nice to hear a perspective from a resident. I guess I'm just a little sad that I can't do both, I thought IUPUI research style was pretty interesting (huge research project that effects the local community). But I'm pretty happy with my choice of going to Lubbock! IUPUI seem really nice and answered all my questions but I guess it just wasn't right for me.

5 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

If you look closely you can see my very professional styrofoam plate easel. Lol XD

Eh, the professional artists I've known often have equally as humble methods. :P