We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

@Cat_Robutt I had a break between my undergrad and my masters and it probably took about 2 months to really stop feeling rusty. Best thing I can suggest is looking over old notes, having a look at relevant forums/online publications - heck even doing a google scholar search in the area(s) you're interested in before you start. Try and look at the work critically and it will also remind you of what you sort-of know, and whether anything new has happened while you were away. Also, get ready to read - A LOT. Maybe less relevant to you as you're the humanities? but when I moved up to masters I was shocked at how much reading was expected of me.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny at least they emailed you to remind you. That was nice. I've been seriously saving my money (as best I can with little income) this past year but as I know I'm not going to be in the UK again for a while, I'm trying to do nice things before I leave. I already have 2 expensive trips planned and I want to try and get down to the coast at least once. It's going to rip a little bit of a hole in my finances doing these things, but I should still have enough for the first few months. 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I forgot to pay my electric bill recently, had to pay a late fee boo. But I think its very common for people to forget! I always put reminders everywhere usually, on my phone, calendar, sticky notes, etc. Its excessive but I can't stand being late.

7 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I thought I was doing so well financially... reserved a U-Haul, bought a cat tree (for the cats I don't even have yet, hahaha), took a long trip to use my telescope, etc. etc. etc....

and then today I got an email saying I forgot to pay rent.

Seriously, I can't believe they let people like me be adults??

Lol... I have to manage our entire household bills... and sometimes I wonder how I manage to not lose/forget stuff. 

I've got our bills plotted out for months in advance, and I'm always worried I'll miss one and affect our credit scores. 

I'm spoiled. I live in university housing so I only have one housing-related bill per month. The only other bills I have is cell phone and car insurance, both of which automatically debit. :) 

3 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I forgot to pay my electric bill recently, had to pay a late fee boo. But I think its very common for people to forget! I always put reminders everywhere usually, on my phone, calendar, sticky notes, etc. Its excessive but I can't stand being late.

My apt. offers automatic bill-pay, and for a while (for some reason) I resisted signing up for it--but then this last month, while travelling, forgot to pay (luckily mine also sent out a reminder), so: it's auto, now. #neverforget(inadifferentwaythanthishashtagwasintended)

6 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm spoiled. I live in university housing so I only have one housing-related bill per month. The only other bills I have is cell phone and car insurance, both of which automatically debit. :) 

Man.. that would be nice. Our rent, utilities, and electric are all separate.

And then there's the cell phone, and then the internet, and then the credit card, and then my student loan, and then the car insurance, and the hsa deductions... it never ends.

At one point we had 3 different credit card bills (all my partners poor early life choices) and it was such hell to try to keep track of. Now I've got it down to 1.  

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

See my apartment does as well but I resist it since I'm paranoid of somehow someone getting access more easily that way than just old fashion handing in my bills,

Yeah, I think that was part of my reasoning for a while as well.... But my apt also requires everything to be done online, anyway...so I realized it's a bit silly to think that they'd have more access by it being done automatically, when they already have my account number and all that tied into their system anyway. I guarantee that I will be paranoid-ly checking to make sure it actually pays this time around, though. Trusting nothing.

1 minute ago, haltheincandescent said:

Yeah, I think that was part of my reasoning for a while as well.... But my apt also requires everything to be done online, anyway...so I realized it's a bit silly to think that they'd have more access by it being done automatically, when they already have my account number and all that tied into their system anyway. I guarantee that I will be paranoid-ly checking to make sure it actually pays this time around, though. Trusting nothing.

See my landlord and building are what I like to call "old school" :D He just offered for people to pay their rent on time and we are moving soon so I decided it wasn't worth the 5 min hassle ha

All this talk about bills reminds me that I be renting an apartment for the very first time when I go grad school. 

First time paying rent, utilities, groceries. May have a roommate but it's too early to confirm. Any advice?

On 4/11/2016 at 10:43 AM, janetjanejune said:

@Neist I feel ya. Getting admitted to grad school in general is a reality check. Reminder to carry myself more maturely. Most folks don't understand my program or GA position. Instead of being downplayed, I stand my ground and educate them. I like being confident.

Anyone else doing an inventory of your closet? I have a looot of clothes.

On 4/11/2016 at 0:32 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

YES. HOW DID I ACQUIRE THIS MANY CLOTHES?! And why is it whenever I purge my closet none of it seems to leave? A lot of it is really cute, too, but I just opt for tshirts usually :(

Omg the clothes!  I have 4 closets, 2 of which are walk-in, and each hanger holds six items.  Yeah I finally figured out how this happened.  For every one item I donate or throw out I buy six more items.  Plus twice a year I update my wardrobe to accommodate new trends, weight fluctuations, and my changing tastes.  What's really hilarious is as I was going through everything I realize I've worn 98% of everything I have.  Instead of shipping it all I've decided to purge 80% of everything, postpone my spring update to summer, and then start from scratch after I move.

On 4/11/2016 at 0:58 PM, Neist said:

..... And librarian positions, given my experience, should be way easier to obtain than a faculty position in a department.

I seriously just figured out that your field is in library sciences hehehe.  Libraries are so amazing :)

23 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

.....and then today I got an email saying I forgot to pay rent.

A few weeks ago I was in the zone being all adult....paid bills, ran errands, cleaned house, etc.  Then I get home and am starving, open the fridge to find it empty.  I stood there a few minutes staring and wasting electricity trying to fathom why there was no food...... oh yeah I have to buy that and forgot lol.  Sometimes I'm seriously amazed I leave the house with pants on every day.

8 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

See my apartment does as well but I resist it since I'm paranoid of somehow someone getting access more easily that way than just old fashion handing in my bills,

I'm with you!  For places like this I just refuse to give them my bank account info.  I set up a prepaid debit card and add the exact amount they need on it.  This way if there's any hassle I can just close it.

4 hours ago, janetjanejune said:

First time paying rent, utilities, groceries. May have a roommate but it's too early to confirm. Any advice?

Have very awkward conversations with all potential roommates before signing anything.  I mean straight up talk about walking around naked, overnight guests, bathroom hygiene if sharing one, loud bedroom activities, shared or not shared food, etc.  Otherwise you may come home one day and see something you can't unsee or go broke buying food because everyone keeps eating yours without replacing it.

7 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I seriously just figured out that your field is in library sciences hehehe.  Libraries are so amazing :)

Well, I use bibliographies and data analytics to do historical research, so I'm basically a library science person. :D My methods are library science, but my products are historical.

I need to beef up on my data analytics skills, though. I think I'm going to take a few MOOCs this summer.

15 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Man.. that would be nice. Our rent, utilities, and electric are all separate.

And then there's the cell phone, and then the internet, and then the credit card, and then my student loan, and then the car insurance, and the hsa deductions... it never ends.

At one point we had 3 different credit card bills (all my partners poor early life choices) and it was such hell to try to keep track of. Now I've got it down to 1.  

I've managed to live without a credit card.

I'm too poor to take on more unnecessary debt! :D In the past I've simply taken out small subsidized loans and put them in a rainy day fund for unexpected expenses. I guess after graduate school I might have to modify that strategy.

12 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

A few weeks ago I was in the zone being all adult....paid bills, ran errands, cleaned house, etc.  Then I get home and am starving, open the fridge to find it empty.  I stood there a few minutes staring and wasting electricity trying to fathom why there was no food...... oh yeah I have to buy that and forgot lol.  Sometimes I'm seriously amazed I leave the house with pants on every day.

LOL! We'll learn eventually :lol:

5 hours ago, Neist said:

I've managed to live without a credit card.

I'm too poor to take on more unnecessary debt! :D In the past I've simply taken out small subsidized loans and put them in a rainy day fund for unexpected expenses. I guess after graduate school I might have to modify that strategy.

Ah, the good old credit card. I've also avoided getting one, so far, but then my dad recently reminded me that, at some point, there are things that one might need a record of credit to actually get a loan for, and, without a credit card: basically no credit. So, time to get my first one ever, I guess. (The idea being, use it no differently from my debit card, and pay everything off in full immediately, so I can get my very own shiny credit report.) 

Ew.

5 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

Ah, the good old credit card. I've also avoided getting one, so far, but then my dad recently reminded me that, at some point, there are things that one might need a record of credit to actually get a loan for, and, without a credit card: basically no credit. So, time to get my first one ever, I guess. (The idea being, use it no differently from my debit card, and pay everything off in full immediately, so I can get my very own shiny credit report.) 

Ew.

My student loans have actually beefed up my credit moderately. I have pretty good credit. :) 

If you have any loans, you might consider running a free credit report in order to see your score.

Just now, Neist said:

My student loans have actually beefed up my credit moderately. I have pretty good credit. :) 

If you have any loans, you might consider running a free credit report in order to see your score.

I (by some black magic) slipped out of undergrad loan free--so I have what credit reports like to call "a thin file." aka there's absolutely nothing.

Just now, haltheincandescent said:

I (by some black magic) slipped out of undergrad loan free--so I have what credit reports like to call "a thin file." aka there's absolutely nothing.

Wow. Congrats on doing that! :D I think most of us aren't so lucky.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Wow. Congrats on doing that! :D I think most of us aren't so lucky.

I'd say thanks--but, it's exactly that: luck (with scholarships), nothing really on my part, other than sacrificing (or at the time I thought it was--I turned out to adore my state school) a much more expensive private school for my state school. On the other hand, I still know absolutely nothing about loans, so, at some point, if I have to take one out in the next few years, I'll be much more lost as far as what I have to actually even do goes.

Just now, haltheincandescent said:

I'd say thanks--but, it's exactly that: luck (with scholarships), nothing really on my part, other than sacrificing (or at the time I thought it was--I turned out to adore my state school) a much more expensive private school for my state school. On the other hand, I still know absolutely nothing about loans, so, at some point, if I have to take one out in the next few years, I'll be much more lost as far as what I have to actually even do goes.

You're attending Harvard, correct? I'm sure there'll be opportunity to take out loans. :) Expensive area, it is!

If you ever need any basic advice on loans from a non-bias source, feel free to send me a message at a latter point. I'm unfortunately well-versed.

@haltheincandescent I have a credit-card but like you am using it just like a debit card. I just don't understand credit and I don't think I ever will. Like I understand the principle, I just don't get why it exists. My parents had to battle with me for ages to make me see I actually need a credit background despite the fact I've managed my money pretty well so far. Unfortunately my UK credit score means nada in the US so I get to start from scratch. Yay /s. I am having my bank write me a letter saying that I have been a good customer - no bad things at all. While not accepted anywhere, it should help sway that I'm not some highly crazy person to take a risk on (I hope).

It's going to be pretty frustrating at first - all the things I want to put on a credit card like furniture, cooking equipment, school books are going to have to go on my UK card, get paid out of my UK account and THEN I transfer my money over once that's paid off. Ugh such a faff. 

15 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@haltheincandescent I have a credit-card but like you am using it just like a debit card. I just don't understand credit and I don't think I ever will. Like I understand the principle, I just don't get why it exists. My parents had to battle with me for ages to make me see I actually need a credit background despite the fact I've managed my money pretty well so far. Unfortunately my UK credit score means nada in the US so I get to start from scratch. Yay /s. I am having my bank write me a letter saying that I have been a good customer - no bad things at all. While not accepted anywhere, it should help sway that I'm not some highly crazy person to take a risk on (I hope).

It's going to be pretty frustrating at first - all the things I want to put on a credit card like furniture, cooking equipment, school books are going to have to go on my UK card, get paid out of my UK account and THEN I transfer my money over once that's paid off. Ugh such a faff. 

My mother is in the process of refinancing her house to a lower interest rate down to a 15 year from a 30 year... and apparently she had done so well with her money for so long, that they could only pull up 3 years of credit record for her. 

She was like "I've been paying my mortgage for over a decade... how can I not have sufficient credit report." And she's almost never missed a payment on anything in her life. Makes you question the system a bit. 

@MarineBluePsy Thanks. I'm a frank person, but I fear scaring folks off if I ask the wrong questions. Honestly, I'd rather live alone. My introverted self does not want to come home after a day of work and classes to another person I barely know.

@hippyscientist I never realized a foreign credit score wouldn't translate over in the US. That's rough. :/ 

@haltheincandescent That's marvelous that you've avoided undergrad debt! Don't feel bad about your lack of understanding; life will most likely sharpen your loan knowledge, be it school, medical, business, personal, etc.

Edited by janetjanejune

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

That's where I am right now. I stayed in-state (Go Gators!), earned state and university merit scholarships, and was getting paid some semesters to attend. I waited to open my credit card once I moved for my first full-time job after graduation.

Loans scare the hell out of me. All of my friends who are dealing with their student loan debt sound so flustered. I wish our higher educational system wasn't structured in such a way that folks are forced to rely on multiple loans to make ends meet.