We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

7 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Nice!! It sounds like you're ready for PhD work :D

Oh dude, I am so ready. I love the way my masters has been structured because we had theoretical taught elements in the first semester, practical taught elements in the second semester and now we're just left to do our research with only stats labs timetabled. It's great training for transitioning between undergrad and PhD. I can't wait to start the PhD in August!!! 

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

Enrollment deposits are officially paid... guess it's time to finally change my signature! 

Congrats! :) 

Ahhh.. the feeling of resolution. It's sweet, indeed.

Just now, Neist said:

Congrats! :) 

Ahhh.. the feeling of resolution. It's sweet, indeed.

Absolutely. The last 6-8 months of non-stop stress has all led up to this moment...paying $600 in deposit fees! lol

Nah, I'm really excited about the coming academic year. I can't wait to move out to DC and into Chicago!

1 hour ago, anxietygirl said:

It's official! I just submitted my thesis to be bound and printed today!! I can't believe all this work is coming to a close!!! Once my oral defense and capstone speech are finished, I'll be done with undergrad!! 

Congrats! :D 

Wow, they bind your senior thesis? That's official!

I know, right? UofC is on the quarter system so classes don't even start until late September! I have plenty of time to figure out housing options, moving costs, and to replace some furniture. Until then, I have to try to stay focused on my full-time job for another 3 months :P

I gave my official notice at work today that I'm leaving in the fall to accept the funding I was offered.

I think everyone expected me to accept it, but it didn't make the conversation any less uncomfortable. :wacko: Just had to pull that band-aid right off.

Social work is a very thankless field. People either see social workers as underpaid and overworked (which they are) or The Boogeyman. It's a dangerous, stressful job.

Good luck to the dye job! You should upload photos. :)

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Happy April 15th, folks. One of my friends has been rejected from all places but one where he was put on a waitlist. Had he been accepted he would've heard back by the end of today... he didn't. :(

Not necessarily. There may be a student or two ahead of him on the waitlist. If they decline, the program will reach out to your friend. I know someone who got an offer in May last year.

22 hours ago, anxietygirl said:

It's official! I just submitted my thesis to be bound and printed today!! I can't believe all this work is coming to a close!!! Once my oral defense and capstone speech are finished, I'll be done with undergrad!! 

Congrats! I'm submitting mine in a week, and can only imagine how fantastic it must feel! :) 

On 4/15/2016 at 6:28 AM, Neist said:

Unfortunately, no! :) At least not in the US.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/librarians.htm

That claims the average salary 56k a year, but it's more realistically in the 45k range in most locations. Personally, I think that's a lot of money! I grew up and live relatively poor, so I'd be happy with that wage, but it's sad that the highest paying jobs (academic jobs) not only require a MLIS, but they often prefer a second advanced degree in another subject. 

Two masters degrees for that salary isn't great, but it's what I want to do, so I don't care. :) 

Ahhh I see.  Yes for that level of education that salary is low, but there are parts of the US where that can provide a comfortable living.  Why isn't there a PhLIS?  Seems like you'd do that and get a Master's in another subject you wish to specialize in.

12 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Happy April 15th, folks. One of my friends has been rejected from all places but one where he was put on a waitlist. Had he been accepted he would've heard back by the end of today... he didn't. :(

Is this the same friend applying to Clinical Psych programs that wanted advice on if/how he should try again?  Regardless it is possible to get off the waitlist after 4/15, there have been posts around the boards about it.  It is rare though.

44 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Ahhh I see.  Yes for that level of education that salary is low, but there are parts of the US where that can provide a comfortable living.  Why isn't there a PhLIS?  Seems like you'd do that and get a Master's in another subject you wish to specialize in.

You can get a PhD, but it's usefulness of arguably limited, similar to how people rarely go beyond a JD, even though there's several steps higher.

Basically, unless I want to teach library or information science, it's not really necessary. :) If want to be a research librarian, I can do that with only a MLIS.

2 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Whoooo. I officially have a place to live in the fall! Got a move-in date and everything. Things are getting real-er!

Woohoo! Picking out a place is kind of fun, right? Are you going to have roommates?

I'm moving in 2.5 weeks and the thought of packing everything up is so sad... plus, I found out that my advisor won't be at my graduation since he'll be in Germany. I'm much more sad than I care to admit... normally, the professors for your department line up and you shake their hand after getting your diploma, I was going to give him a big bear hug. Fortunately I have two advisors, maybe the other will be there :D

I'm kind of worried about adjusting to a different professor-student dynamic. One of the students who graduated from here a few years ago gave me an exhaustive list of all the things he tried to do that apparently weren't normal at the new place. Do most students usually not grab drinks with their professor after an exam? Or call them for a ride to the airport? 

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Woohoo! Picking out a place is kind of fun, right? Are you going to have roommates?

I'm moving in 2.5 weeks and the thought of packing everything up is so sad... plus, I found out that my advisor won't be at my graduation since he'll be in Germany. I'm much more sad than I care to admit... normally, the professors for your department line up and you shake their hand after getting your diploma, I was going to give him a big bear hug. Fortunately I have two advisors, maybe the other will be there :D

I'm kind of worried about adjusting to a different professor-student dynamic. One of the students who graduated from here a few years ago gave me an exhaustive list of all the things he tried to do that apparently weren't normal at the new place. Do most students usually not grab drinks with their professor after an exam? Or call them for a ride to the airport? 

Okay 2.5 weeks?!? Man I'm so envious of you all moving so soon!! I've still got 3.5 months left of my masters (and organising life to move).

Also - bear hugging advisors?!?! The closest advisor I have was an American professor who came over and taught at my undergrad for 2 years. When I drove across the US he put me & the then boyfriend up for the night, we went out for mexican food and he showed me his lab at his new university. He used to take us out for cocktails in undergrad too. He was awesome. But getting rides to the airport? No way Jose! That's awesome that you have that sort of relationship though. It's something I'm really looking forward to - building a relationship with my new advisor. We "clicked" when I visited so I'm hoping eventually beers and airport rides might be possible in the future! But definitely don't expect that straight up!!!! 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That was my experience in undergrad, and moving from a tiny tiny SLAC to a giant R1 is filling me with anxiety that I'm going to do something weird in the first week. My advisor used to hold our meetings outside so we could smoke (I've quit since!), and it was so intimate and wonderful-we'd talk for an hour about life and then in the final moments we'd get to things relevant to my thesis or my career, but the balance was always perfect. I'm going to miss that level of closeness. 

35 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

That was my experience in undergrad, and moving from a tiny tiny SLAC to a giant R1 is filling me with anxiety that I'm going to do something weird in the first week. My advisor used to hold our meetings outside so we could smoke (I've quit since!), and it was so intimate and wonderful-we'd talk for an hour about life and then in the final moments we'd get to things relevant to my thesis or my career, but the balance was always perfect. I'm going to miss that level of closeness. 

YES!!! I'm totally going to do things weirdly at first... You and I together :D

I'm a little bit glad I didn't get into a more conservative program, even if it was more 'prestigious'. I'm  not an overly conservative person, and I'm not sure how well I'd mesh into a less-than-casual environment. :wacko:

If anyone from these boards saw me, initial impression probably would be that I'd be more comfortable running a farm co-op rather than attending graduate school. 

21 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm a little bit glad I didn't get into a more conservative program, even if it was more 'prestigious'. I'm  not an overly conservative person, and I'm not sure how well I'd mesh into a less-than-casual environment. :wacko:

If anyone from these boards saw me, initial impression probably would be that I'd be more comfortable running a farm co-op rather than attending graduate school. 

I feel you Neist. I live in gym kit - exercise leggings, sports bra, muscle tank and big oversized hoody. Every day. My school is cool with it, my lecturers are in sweatpants half the time. I'm apprehensive about 'levelling up' in terms of smartness in clothing. To talk to me I pretty much come across as a surf bum who's smoked too much, then people talk to me and think I'm stupidly ditzy.

I explain concepts in simple, silly analogies. I do show my understanding but definitely don't come across as your typical academic. I will critique papers by first saying things like "I liked it. I didn't like the way they described that. It was rubbish" and my previous colleagues have learnt that I do those things to get them out of my head so I get to the good stuff. But it doesn't help initial academic conversations. Hopefully people in PhD-land will be chill with everything!

My boss/mentor and I get lunch together sometimes. I think we are very close, we have a grandfather/granddaughter relationship. Just this past weekend, I spent around 10 hours helping him off the clock to get the museum ready. I believe that my university will definitely lose someone great when he retires. No hugs though! I'm not a hugger. I love the vibe of my grad department so far.