We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Just now, winterstat said:

Hi there, 

I've been creepily reading all the posts in this thread ever since it began, but now I wanted to just say: I know how you feel @hippyscientist... I'm trying to arrange my visa (live in the Netherlands) and it's been less than fun. Luckily I will have my interview at the consulate this week, which is also freaking me out, even though I've read that it is usually no big deal. It sucks when you have to rely on someone else to get things done :( Hope everything works out for you!

Oh man so jealous! When I had my interview for my J1 (I worked at a summer camp) it was really quick - they just asked a few questions about what I was going to be doing over there, why you want to study in the US over your home country and why you'll be coming back to it after your program is over. You'll be fine :D Good luck!!! 

I'm still waiting on my I-20. They won't issue it until I prove I have funds for years 4 & 5 (of a 3 year PhD). So now I'm waiting on family members to sign something to say they'll cover those funds. Despite the fact the likelihood of them being needed is small to none (and I would walk away from a PhD before putting my family in that kind of debt) no one is willing to sign the form. So no I-20. 

6 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh man so jealous! When I had my interview for my J1 (I worked at a summer camp) it was really quick - they just asked a few questions about what I was going to be doing over there, why you want to study in the US over your home country and why you'll be coming back to it after your program is over. You'll be fine :D Good luck!!! 

I'm still waiting on my I-20. They won't issue it until I prove I have funds for years 4 & 5 (of a 3 year PhD). So now I'm waiting on family members to sign something to say they'll cover those funds. Despite the fact the likelihood of them being needed is small to none (and I would walk away from a PhD before putting my family in that kind of debt) no one is willing to sign the form. So no I-20. 

Oh, that's awful! I hope someone in your family comes through with a signature! Don't they feel bad that this might mean that you won't be able to go to grad school?

Thanks for giving me some info on the interview questions. I've been waiting to announce to the world that I am heading to graduate school in the US until the VISA got sorted, so I'm excited that moment is finally coming up!

8 minutes ago, winterstat said:

Oh, that's awful! I hope someone in your family comes through with a signature! Don't they feel bad that this might mean that you won't be able to go to grad school?

Thanks for giving me some info on the interview questions. I've been waiting to announce to the world that I am heading to graduate school in the US until the VISA got sorted, so I'm excited that moment is finally coming up!

It always happens that when I complain on this forum about something it happens later that day. I got the signature! :D yay. I'm the same, not announcing until I got that visa so I feel your frustrations and excitement.

Glad to be of a little bit of help. It can be pretty intimidating - make sure you don't have any cuts or blisters on your fingers before you go otherwise they can't take your fingerprints. Also, treat the officers as people - they can be pretty scary but they're just like you or me. 

@hippyscientist I hope your visa stuff works out. The whole process has been a source of anxiety for me. It seems to be a lot easier for Canadians so I feel bad for everyone else who has to deal with this.. If a school wants somebody they shouldn't make getting a visa such an obstacle. 

I have a curse. Wherever I go, registration errors follow. I'm haunted at night by messages that I don't have the proper prerequisites. Every single semester since my junior year, I have received errors for at least one class. Even when I contact each professor before registration, something still goes wrong. Last night I registered for classes for my new program. I felt nervous before I hit the add button because I knew something would go awry. Sure enough, two of my three classes said I didn't have the prerequisites. I contacted the department and got into one, but the other is already full. The lady who answered me is trying to get me added to the class anyway, if the professor okays it.

I hate registration. :angry:

47 minutes ago, nka93 said:

I have a curse. Wherever I go, registration errors follow. I'm haunted at night by messages that I don't have the proper prerequisites. Every single semester since my junior year, I have received errors for at least one class. Even when I contact each professor before registration, something still goes wrong. Last night I registered for classes for my new program. I felt nervous before I hit the add button because I knew something would go awry. Sure enough, two of my three classes said I didn't have the prerequisites. I contacted the department and got into one, but the other is already full. The lady who answered me is trying to get me added to the class anyway, if the professor okays it.

I hate registration. :angry:

Oh wow that sounds awful. I'm really nervous about registering for classes - it's not something I've ever done before and things like this just make it sound like hell. How do you even know which classes to register for?!?

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh wow that sounds awful. I'm really nervous about registering for classes - it's not something I've ever done before and things like this just make it sound like hell. How do you even know which classes to register for?!?

What I did is chose classes from a list of coursework for my program. You just have to check and make sure the times don't conflict. I think some programs are built in a way that everyone in your year takes the same classes so you should probably check up on that. The actual process itself is really easy. Just find the number associated with the class, type it into a box, and hit a button. I've never met someone who had the same registration issues as me, so don't let that worry you too much. I've also never contacted a person at the school who wasn't willing to help me as much as they could. While I always have problems, I've actually never not been able to attend the class that I've wanted. 

If you're not sure what to do, there should be an email address for the registration office at your school and they will be able to help you. It's not really that bad. I'm just cursed.

Update on registration woes: An amazing lady in the department added me to the class with no seats left. She apparently tried to get the class moved to a bigger room and when she couldn't, she just added me in anyway. I love my school already. My class schedule is a dream. Tuesday and Thursday 9:30-1:45 all in the same classroom. :) 

20 minutes ago, nka93 said:

Update on registration woes: An amazing lady in the department added me to the class with no seats left. She apparently tried to get the class moved to a bigger room and when she couldn't, she just added me in anyway. I love my school already. My class schedule is a dream. Tuesday and Thursday 9:30-1:45 all in the same classroom. :) 

Yipee! Great to hear. :) 

I think most universities under book classes by a few seats, so there's usually some leeway. Glad it worked out!

23 minutes ago, Neist said:

Yipee! Great to hear. :) 

I think most universities under book classes by a few seats, so there's usually some leeway. Glad it worked out!

As a general rule, when the class is full I usually shoot the professor or the department an email to see if there is anything they can do to help me. It never hurts to ask. I've been added in ahead of the wait list before because they were giving seniors priority. I've also showed up to a class on the first day and asked the professor to add me. Being persistent hasn't failed me yet. 

Wow, you miss a few days on this forum and it's like all the things have happened––there are so many congratulations ( @RCtheSS ) and I feel yas ( @nka93 ) to give! 

@CornUltimatum my pard's from Las Cruces, NM––if you would like some recommendations of things to see and do while you live there, PM me! Soon you will be immersed in the delicious green chile/red chile battle in which, really, everyone wins.

It was really enlightening to read the different thoughts/experiences on advisors; I'm curious as to how you all approach your classmates as well. To me, some are colleagues and some become friends, but I initially approach my cohort as I would a group at work. What do y'all do?

Also, @Neist it's good to know there are others here who have low SES backgrounds! It's weird teaching really wealthy students...I view school so differently than they do.

1 hour ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Also, @Neist it's good to know there are others here who have low SES backgrounds! It's weird teaching really wealthy students...I view school so differently than they do.

I agree. I really notice a difference in view sometimes. I am also frequently struck by the rarity of people from low SES backgrounds in my grad school and in my profession. I know very few people in my current circles whose parents didn't go to college. 

well, I'm finally home after flights to 3 different cities, and helping move a 24 ft budget truck from Detroit to Tampa to move my aging grandparents to a swanky retirement community.

In with all their crap, I managed to find a priceless 50 cent off coupon for hash browns that expired in 1988.

Hi! I haven't posted in here yet, but I've got a question and I would some opinions please! I've been accepted (yay!) to a school and found out the 2 day mandatory orientation is Aug 18-19 and there's a foundations course from Aug 22-Sep 2. Problem is I'm a bridesmaid for one of my best friend's wedding on the 20th. Would you miss the orientation for something like that? I asked the program assistant and she said they go over the technical stuff during that time, but I'm thinking I could get that information from students when I attend the foundations course. Thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

ETA: I'm doing a distance program and the school is in another province, so I need to fly out there for the orientation/course

Edited by jstarr001

7 minutes ago, jstarr001 said:

Hi! I haven't posted in here yet, but I've got a question and I would some opinions please! I've been accepted (yay!) to a school and found out the 2 day mandatory orientation is Aug 18-19 and there's a foundations course from Aug 20-Sep 2. Problem is I'm a bridesmaid for one of my best friend's wedding on the 20th. Would you miss the orientation for something like that? I asked the program assistant and she said they go over the technical stuff during that time, but I'm thinking I could get that information from students when I attend the foundations course. Thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

So the program assistant didn't offer any advice on whether it was crucial to attend? Have you asked your advisor? I imagine she could give you a good idea of the import of this foundations course. 

41 minutes ago, Levon3 said:

So the program assistant didn't offer any advice on whether it was crucial to attend? Have you asked your advisor? I imagine she could give you a good idea of the import of this foundations course. 

It didn't seem crucial from how she worded it, but I'll be sure to ask when I get more information about it. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

It was really enlightening to read the different thoughts/experiences on advisors; I'm curious as to how you all approach your classmates as well. To me, some are colleagues and some become friends, but I initially approach my cohort as I would a group at work. What do y'all do?

Classmates - let's see. As a whole I treat them as a professional group, but I would always be open to working together for classes and helping out on each others research, so long as it was two-sided. We all have such different backgrounds, it would be great to learn from each other, but I refuse to be the only one helping and getting nothing in return. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a knack for statistic and so everyone always comes to me to ask for help with it. I'm happy to do that, as long as that person might help me out with a technique or bouncing ideas off. As for friends - I never actively search for friends. It would be awesome if a member or two of my peers within department become friends, but equally I am more than happy to make friends through lifting, yoga and hiking. Diversity is key! 

I just remembered that when I visited PSU back in September, I met a lovely lady in my department (although separate field) who said she would happily mentor me as a woman in the sciences - help me overcome any challenges, and go to yoga with me! Yay. I look forward to building up that relationship because she was lovely.  I think she'll really help me navigate the intricacies of building a scientific career from a female perspective (including dating, kids etc), which will be a nice change from my current department. 

Relatedly, are you all going in with a set outcome in mind? I have a very clear path I want to be following and I want to use all my connections and time at grad school to ensure I end up where I want to (admittedly that might change, but I have to be super focused).

Happy hump day, indeed! And happy 4/20, if you're also into that. ;)

Yesterday was my birthday so I celebrated by consuming too many sugary baked goods and shots of alcohol. My stomach isn't happy with me at the moment, but in all it was a great day.

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

Yesterday was my birthday so I celebrated by consuming too many sugary baked goods and shots of alcohol. My stomach isn't happy with me at the moment, but in all it was a great day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR YESTERDAY!!! Ugh 4/20. I'm not opposed but my entire town has been covered in a haze of blaze today. It's not cool turning up to a meeting smelling of the stuff at 9am. 

@Effloresce hi :D hope you're doing good! 

36 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Effloresce hi :D hope you're doing good! 

i'm doing well, thanks! trying to figure out housing and stuff atm, so a bit overwhelmed... how about you?

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

happy belated birthday!!!!! also, i keep forgetting it's 4/20. i'm sure the metro will be very smelly on my way home. :P 

1 minute ago, Effloresce said:

happy belated birthday!!!!! also, i keep forgetting it's 4/20. i'm sure the metro will be very smelly on my way home. :P 

Thanks! LOL, the metro definitely will smell today. Whenever I walk around outside Union Station I get a good whiff. 

16 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Relatedly, are you all going in with a set outcome in mind? I have a very clear path I want to be following and I want to use all my connections and time at grad school to ensure I end up where I want to (admittedly that might change, but I have to be super focused).

I wish! I don't even know what kind of physics I want to study :( or whether I want to go into academia/industry, or literally anything else. I'm kind of hoping I'll discover that along the way :P