We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

2 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

It is!  And I was just thinking of how often this thread gets on weird discussions.  I could totally see all of us hanging out in a cafe blabbering on about all this weirdness in person.  Hmmmm with so many of us relocating we probably could do a meet in the middle sort of thing.

Yes! I love the weird discussions. Discussions are awesome! Weirdness is awesome too. Weird discussions - even better :D 

I've been pulling 7:30-4:30 shifts all week and on-top of my school work. I'm exhausted, but sooooo close to graduation! Boyfriend got a call for a job interview.....in kansas. It was perfect too! If only that job could have been shifted to lubbock. He's starting to feel down, the job market is bad for geology right now. He spends a couple hours applying for jobs everyday. At least the guy who called sounded impressed by his resume, so heres hoping that's a good sign. At least, he is a veteran so that opens a lot more opportunities.

I would love a meetup! Where should it be? Kansas is literally in the middle of the country.

The whole 'bathroom bill' confuses me. You don't have to show ID or answer to a bathroom attendant to use the restroom. Assault can happen with or without this bill. This is a fabricated threat to induce fear of something people already don't understand. We just want to adjust our makeup and complain about guys with our friends. 

@Need Coffee in an IV Good luck to your boyfriend! The job search is rough. Hope he takes time to step away and recharge.

So here I am... Bawling my eyes out once again to the only book that has ever made me cry. By far my favorite, and in my opinion, one of the best books I've ever read. If anyone else is looking for a very, very good read...Watership Down by Richard Adams is a book I tell people "read" and then they say "But it sounds weird... Its about rabbits" but then when they read it they agree its one of the best books they've read.

@sjoh197 watership down is amazing. I was gifted it by a teacher back when I was 7 and it's remained with me ever since. 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny protein powder, egg, coconut oil, unsweetened almond milk, oat flour and "filling"(be it nutella, almond butter, PB&J etc). The macros on that are pretty good. It might not taste like a "normal" mug cake, but my tastebuds have adapted to that being so ridiculously sweet. It's awesome :D 

3 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@sjoh197 watership down is amazing. I was gifted it by a teacher back when I was 7 and it's remained with me ever since. 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny protein powder, egg, coconut oil, unsweetened almond milk, oat flour and "filling"(be it nutella, almond butter, PB&J etc). The macros on that are pretty good. It might not taste like a "normal" mug cake, but my tastebuds have adapted to that being so ridiculously sweet. It's awesome :D 

Darn, I'm allergic to at least half of those ingredients :( Maybe I'l just do some protein powder :)

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Darn, I'm allergic to at least half of those ingredients :( Maybe I'l just do some protein powder :)

damn allergies! I've started taking digestive enzymes and they've made my food issues SO much less. It makes me very happy. Mind I don't have any major allergies to food, just intolerances.

On April 22, 2016 at 2:53 AM, pterosaur said:

I'll admit being slightly bitter about not getting this fellowship (it's natural and it'll wear off), but they just released the 12 winners (out of 800 applicants): 9/12 male, 4/12 from MIT undergrad, 11/12 white. Starts to feel like something of an old boys club.

I was going to ask which you meant, but – after thinking about it – I realized it had to be the Hertz.

It really does feel like an old boys club, doesn't it? I can't really complain because I didn't apply this year (I backed out of applying to all grad fellowships other than NSF, focusing on intl. awards and Ph.D. programs), but the Hertz just feels almost purposefully exclusionary. Save for a friend of mine (who was an MIT undergrad, surprise surprise) that won the Hertz last year, I didn't know a single person who I could ask about the process since I didn't do my undergrad at one of these chosen few institutions. 

How did you find the process itself? Did you make the interview? (And, screw the Hertz, congratulations on your CSGF!)

10 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Watched the Lion King last night. I'm sure the neighbors were concerned with the music-like wailing emanating from my apartment.

You can't not sing Hakuna Matata

I can't not sing every song from the Lion King. :P

13 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

damn allergies! I've started taking digestive enzymes and they've made my food issues SO much less. It makes me very happy. Mind I don't have any major allergies to food, just intolerances.

If only :( mine are actually airborne allergies, so I can't even be near some foods or I can stop breathing. Gggrrrrrrrrrr

On 4/23/2016 at 5:39 PM, janetjanejune said:

I would love a meetup! Where should it be? Kansas is literally in the middle of the country.

That probably would be the middle actually.  Probably a pretty affordable place to visit to.  Hmmm......

13 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I am tempted to try digestive enzymes. I don't have any life threatening allergies, but am mildly to moderately allergic to about a dozen fruits (apples, pears, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries...). It's really frustrating because I love fruit. :unsure: I can eat them if they are canned or processed in some way, though. I also seem to have random allergic reactions to things so I'm always afraid to try new foods.

Anyone else getting perhaps a little carried away with planning?

I'm a person who does well with planning. At this point, I've almost tentatively planned every moment for the next several years. The precise courses I want to take. What skill-building courses I'd like to take in the summers. I'm currently considering which conferences would be best to attend/present at.

There's so many awesome things to do, and so little time to do them. :( High on my priority list is getting a bibliography-focused certificate through the rare book school and teaching myself data analytics via Udacity.

Edited by Neist

Just now, Neist said:

Anyone else getting perhaps a little carried away with planning?

I'm a person who does well with planning. At this point, I've almost tentatively planned every moment for the next several years. The precise courses I want to take. What skill-building courses I'd like to take in the summers. I'm currently considering which conferences would be best to attend/present at.

There's so many awesome things to do, and so little time to do them. :( High on my priority list is getting a bibliography-focused certificate through the rare book school and teaching myself data analytics via Udacity.

My planning is less academic and more house decor...oops. But I have figured out the classes I think I want to take. I also know that my current supervisor is pushing for this research i'm doing to be presented and published so that will be happening over the next year. My new advisor is the man in charge of a HUGE conference in 2017, and when I visited he mentioned that his new graduate student would be quite involved with that so I guess that's going to be on the list.

A lot more of my planning is immediate - visa stuff, moving out of my current place, selling all the crap I don't need, finishing masters, flights, car hire, driving license etc. But now you've mentioned conferences I'm going to stop looking at couches and move to conference investigations!

31 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

My planning is less academic and more house decor...oops. But I have figured out the classes I think I want to take. I also know that my current supervisor is pushing for this research i'm doing to be presented and published so that will be happening over the next year. My new advisor is the man in charge of a HUGE conference in 2017, and when I visited he mentioned that his new graduate student would be quite involved with that so I guess that's going to be on the list.

A lot more of my planning is immediate - visa stuff, moving out of my current place, selling all the crap I don't need, finishing masters, flights, car hire, driving license etc. But now you've mentioned conferences I'm going to stop looking at couches and move to conference investigations!

That's completely understandable, considering that you're moving to another country. :) 

I'm not moving at all, so there's much less for me to think about. Regarding conferences, I'm not sure how it is in your discipline, but there's quite a few options for me. My research is very interdisciplinary, and there's a lot conferences that might inform me even if not directly paralleling my interests. I also have to join some professional organizations that I've put off doing for quite a while now. 

I need make a to-do list before I forget things. 

Going into a food frenzy today lol.

potato salad... check

BBQ wings... check

bacon wrapped asparagrass... check

chocolate peanut butter lasagna... check

massive regret due to my upcoming climb... double check

7 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Going into a food frenzy today lol.

potato salad... check

BBQ wings... check

bacon wrapped asparagrass... check

chocolate peanut butter lasagna... check

massive regret due to my upcoming climb... double check

oh that all just sounds amazing and incredible and please can you cook for me?! The chocolate peanut butter lasagna just sounds like heaven.

Upcoming climb? Big one? Good luck :D

@Neist in my country, conferences within my discipline are very small - in fact there's 2 each year worth going to. But the US is amazing and has lots more organisations and collaborative councils so I'll be spoilt for choice! But that's awesome that with such interdisciplinary research you can take bits and pieces from all over - that's my hope too. Crossing the divide between engineering, orthopaedic surgery, sport and physical therapy means everyone can learn stuff from everyone else, but no one is willing to invite you to their conferences :(

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

oh that all just sounds amazing and incredible and please can you cook for me?! The chocolate peanut butter lasagna just sounds like heaven.

Upcoming climb? Big one? Good luck :D

My father and I are doing a 37 mile hike over the salkantay pass into machu picchu. We'll be over 15000 ft for part of it.

The chocolate peanut butter lasagna is super duper easy to make.

Make a pan of brownies, then cut it up and lay it in the base of a 13*9 pan. Then mix 1 block of cream cheese with about 2/3 cup of peanut butter and some cool whip to make it more spreadable. Put that over the brownies. Then mix a small box of instant chocolate pudding, then put that on top. Cover in left over cool whip, or whipped cream, and then sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.

If you want it extra peanut butter, you can mix some peanut butter with the top layer of cool whip too.

2 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

My father and I are doing a 37 mile hike over the salkantay pass into machu picchu. We'll be over 15000 ft for part of it.

The chocolate peanut butter lasagna is super duper easy to make.

Make a pan of brownies, then cut it up and lay it in the base of a 13*9 pan. Then mix 1 block of cream cheese with about 2/3 cup of peanut butter and some cool whip to make it more spreadable. Put that over the brownies. Then mix a small box of instant chocolate pudding, then put that on top. Cover in left over cool whip, or whipped cream, and then sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.

If you want it extra peanut butter, you can mix some peanut butter with the top layer of cool whip too.

Wow that hike is one I've always wanted to do. That'll be incredible - taxing but incredible. So great that you and your dad are going together. 

That chocolate peanut butter lasagna needs to be removed from my knowledge immediately because there is no way in a million years my coach will ever let me eat it. But, yum! 

On 23/04/2016 at 8:10 PM, cwr said:

I was going to ask which you meant, but – after thinking about it – I realized it had to be the Hertz.

It really does feel like an old boys club, doesn't it? I can't really complain because I didn't apply this year (I backed out of applying to all grad fellowships other than NSF, focusing on intl. awards and Ph.D. programs), but the Hertz just feels almost purposefully exclusionary. Save for a friend of mine (who was an MIT undergrad, surprise surprise) that won the Hertz last year, I didn't know a single person who I could ask about the process since I didn't do my undergrad at one of these chosen few institutions. 

How did you find the process itself? Did you make the interview? (And, screw the Hertz, congratulations on your CSGF!)

Yup, it is indeed the Hertz. I know a guy who got it last year (he's in my current international fellowship program and went to CalTech - the only other school with multiple winners this year), but that's it. And since he only had his own experience to go off of, that didn't end up being hugely helpful. No one at my undergrad university could provide me with any advice on it, either, since I'm not even sure they've had anyone apply before.

It was a strange interview experience - I was a finalist, so I went through both rounds of interviews. And the only woman I saw in the whole process was the woman in charge of the administration. Mostly a bunch of old white men. :P Somewhat it's the field and somewhat generational, but it did make me feel a little out of place. I didn't know how to prepare for the interview, since they ask you all sorts of off the wall questions like why cats have slit shaped pupils and what happens to the autocorrelation coefficients if you add gaussian noise to a system. (Actual questions from my first round interview.) I didn't think the first interview went terribly well, so I was surprised to get through. I actually thought the second round went better, but apparently not? They made some comment at the end about how everything was all good, but I didn't really have much independent research yet. (Apparently nothing I did in my 4 years of research was independent/creative enough? IDK)

I'd be eligible to apply again next year, and if that independent research part is my biggest weakness, the start of my PhD research might be a pretty big boost to my application. Not sure yet, though. I'll let the taste from this experience wash out of my mouth before making any decision on that.

3 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

Yup, it is indeed the Hertz. I know a guy who got it last year (he's in my current international fellowship program and went to CalTech - the only other school with multiple winners this year), but that's it. And since he only had his own experience to go off of, that didn't end up being hugely helpful. No one at my undergrad university could provide me with any advice on it, either, since I'm not even sure they've had anyone apply before.

It was a strange interview experience - I was a finalist, so I went through both rounds of interviews. And the only woman I saw in the whole process was the woman in charge of the administration. Mostly a bunch of old white men. :P Somewhat it's the field and somewhat generational, but it did make me feel a little out of place. I didn't know how to prepare for the interview, since they ask you all sorts of off the wall questions like why cats have slit shaped pupils and what happens to the autocorrelation coefficients if you add gaussian noise to a system. (Actual questions from my first round interview.) I didn't think the first interview went terribly well, so I was surprised to get through. I actually thought the second round went better, but apparently not? They made some comment at the end about how everything was all good, but I didn't really have much independent research yet. (Apparently nothing I did in my 4 years of research was independent/creative enough? IDK)

I'd be eligible to apply again next year, and if that independent research part is my biggest weakness, the start of my PhD research might be a pretty big boost to my application. Not sure yet, though. I'll let the taste from this experience wash out of my mouth before making any decision on that.

I could help you get that bad taste out faster with some chocolate peanut butter lasagna. ;)

Just now, sjoh197 said:

I could help you get that bad taste out faster with some chocolate peanut butter lasagna. ;)

Like normal lasagna but adding chocolate and peanut butter...? Because that would be replacing an uncertain taste with a quite likely horrid one. I might stick to my naan and chocolate digestives.