We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

34 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

The fellowship I'm doing now? The Marshall Scholarship, so I'm in the UK doing my masters.

When they asked about autocorrelations, I momentarily blanked and almost asked for a reminder. But I have done stuff with that before - it's how data correlates with itself over time, essentially. As for applying again, I'll probably talk to my advisor about it once I'm settled in the fall. I'm also guessing Harvard might have more resources to help out with the prep than my undergrad uni did. :)

Oh, that's awesome! Congrats on the Marshall. Did you do a one- or two-year? 

And okay, I feel a tiny bit better then, because hopefully I would get something more relating to things I've done. But, realistically, no one goes into the Hertz expecting to win, right? I think you just try and enjoy the interview process, and then if something good comes out of it, even better. (Which was essentially my attitude towards all of these international fellowships.) 

You bring up a good point about Harvard having more resources for the Hertz than your undergrad; hopefully, if I struck out with the Hertz and/or DoE this year, Princeton will have some resources to help when I get there. 

I'm born and raised in the Deep South. I couldn't even imagine such temperatures until I moved. I'm sure Boston winters were nothing compared to Wisconsin's. @pterosaur

On the flip side, I'm STILL not used to our summers down here. I was getting lightheaded today from the heat and it's only April.

Edited by janetjanejune

@janetjanejune And the humidity! There's nothing like a July afternoon when even the mosquitos quit trying. :P 

What are some of your fave books? Like @hippyscientist what books are in the book box? For me, my immediate go-to for fiction is Pullman's His Dark Materials; for non-fiction, it's Meehan and Riordan's Sex & Money (on feminist political economy of media). 

40 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

As a literature person, there's not really a distinction. Which is both good and bad.

Well, at least a lot of yours is hopefully well-written! :D 

A lot of historians are really bad at writing. It's one of the primary reasons I read a lot of the work of science writers. It tends to be much more palatable. 

15 minutes ago, Neist said:

Well, at least a lot of yours is hopefully well-written! :D 

A lot of historians are really bad at writing. It's one of the primary reasons I read a lot of the work of science writers. It tends to be much more palatable. 

Eh, the creative literature itself is usually mostly good. The criticism/academic writing can be a different story. Some is just bad. Which maybe hurts more because, like: you people are supposed to be studying the craft of writing. But, okay.

8 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

Eh, the creative literature itself is usually mostly good. The criticism/academic writing can be a different story. Some is just bad. Which maybe hurts more because, like: you people are supposed to be studying the craft of writing. But, okay.

Some of my favorite historians to read are actually non-native English speakers. There's something about the cadence of their grammar that's better-paced. For example, the American Technological Sublime by David E. Nye is fantastic. I've wanted to read more of his books, actually.

Maybe I'll find time in the summer. Maybe.

Edit: Oh, wait, he does speak English natively. :D Oh well! I still love his writing.

Edited by Neist

4 hours ago, Neist said:

Both. Sorta. Most books I read are about information studies, science, technology, or medicine. These books usually aren't as academically dense as books assigned for classes, but they are tangentially related. :) 

I do read some fiction books for pleasure, but they tend to be related  to my primary interests. For example, I read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate a month or two ago. I'm interested in cultural representations of science, technology, and medicine, so the book is inline with these interests, if not directly relevant.

That's really interesting. Maybe I'll start doing that, although it might be more difficult to find exciting fiction books about engineering. Well, I've read The Martian, so I guess it kind of matches my academic interests.

54 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I thought the graduate applications were bad, finding a house is so much more annoying....

I guess I made the right decision to choose the University's Graduate Apartments for my first year... am I right?

1 hour ago, haltheincandescent said:

As a literature person, there's not really a distinction. Which is both good and bad.

Yeah, that makes sense. I will try to find some engineering-related books!

@fernandes I was talking about reading for pleasure. In my discipline, books are a reference where you go to double check a method, not to really learn anything from. All that comes from journals. If it's in a book, it's past being useful (unless you're trying to remember a method). So all my reading is for pleasure.

@Cat_Robutt I have a very embarassing taste in books. Growing up I lived off The Famous Five by Enid Blyton, so  they're in the box. My favourite book of all time is Dolphin Boy Blue by Felice Arena. Moving away from children's books, I've also got a selection of Feynman books, Science: A History and a few other physics ones that I love to dip in and out of. I'm currently reading The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan, with books by Brent Weeks, Joe Abercrombie and a few others lined up for afterwards. 

5 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I thought the graduate applications were bad, finding a house is so much more annoying....

Yep I feel ya. I've compromised on a fair few things this year - no dishwasher and no in-apartment washer-dryer are my main ones- in order to have heating included and to live on my own. It's pretty damned stressful, but then if it's awful, it's only for a year. Good luck :)

9 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Yep I feel ya. I've compromised on a fair few things this year - no dishwasher and no in-apartment washer-dryer are my main ones- in order to have heating included and to live on my own. It's pretty damned stressful, but then if it's awful, it's only for a year. Good luck :)

The main thing I'm looking for in a new apartment is some counter space in the kitchen. I currently live in a studio and the kitchen space is lacking: the fridge on the left side, the sink is front of you, and the oven/stove is on the right side. The walking space is about the size of one concrete slab of sidewalk. There's just enough space in the corners for my dish-dry rack and some small appliances. 

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

The main thing I'm looking for in a new apartment is some counter space in the kitchen. I currently live in a studio and the kitchen space is lacking: the fridge on the left side, the sink is front of you, and the oven/stove is on the right side. The walking space is about the size of one concrete slab of sidewalk. There's just enough space in the corners for my dish-dry rack and some small appliances. 

Unfortunately this sounds just like the apartment I'm moving to... a major down-size in the kitchen, which considering I love to bake makes me a little sad. But considering my current apartment doesn't have working A/C or heat, the thought of having central air/heat overwhelmed me. Ah well, no place is permanent, right? :)

@hippyscientist I've heard of the Magician's Guild, but none of the others! I really need to brush up on my YA literature. Why do you find your books embarrassing? They're not, like, Piers Anthony novels, are they?

2 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

I'm in a similar situation! It's so weird to me that we are moving from a studio into a two-bedroom place with a huge kitchen and free washer/dryer in unit and STILL saving several hundred dollars per month. We'll have an actual bedroom and an actual dining room! The L.A. housing market is not user-friendly.

We are moving in August.... 3 miles down the road lol. 

The biggest problem here is that once you find a place near downtown that is also gated/has closed parking... you suddenly hit the "luxury" market, with hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, etc. We finally found a place in a nicer part of town, with regular carpet, laminate counters, and white appliances. We'll only be saving about $200 a month, but we'll be going from 649 sqft to 816sqft.

I have been followed home from the train by strange men on many occasions and refuse to live near downtown in a place that isn't locked or gated. It is such a relief to get to the front door of my complex and know that my fob key lets me in and keeps them out. They can't even follow to see which apartment I live in. But you really pay for it. 

I'm so glad that I live in a place that the risk of harm is nearly non-existent. :wacko:

I have never, ever felt unsafe in the town I live in, day or night. 

@Cat_Robutt I left off the books that are embarrassing haha. I learnt long ago that I have eclectic taste in many things - from music, film, TV, books to food and fashion. I happily own it, but tend to hide the more quirky side from randos! I thoroughly recommend Brent Weeks - I love his work. Check out the Night Assassin series it's a fun standalone trilogy that wraps up nicely at the end. A little too YA for serious fantasy readers but it was a fun, fast-paced story which was easy to get lost in - perfect criteria in my opinion. 

@sjoh197 yeah I've been followed home a few times too. It's not a pleasant experience and living in a gated community sounds perfect! I recently was walking home from a friends house, about 9pm, and a group of three hooded youths were behind me. I later found out 4 people got mugged that night and ended up in hospital. I've never walked/run home so fast in my life. Unfortunately I've only ever lived in ground floor apartments which means I'm pretty cautious about leaving a window open at night or anything like that. I'm hoping state college is as safe as it appears! 

@Neist I'm pretty envious of that. I grew up in a relatively nice neighbourhood, but travelling I ended up in some sketchy situations. I've been mugged twice (actually both times in LA) and followed home more times than I care to remember. The town I live in now isn't scummy but it's also not as safe as some of the places I've lived. Just a lot of petty crime and a few stabbings here and there. 

Can't wait to move into my own apartment - first time living truly by myself. There's going to be so much space! And not having to wait for a bathroom to become free, and being able to cook when I want and being able to decorate how I want and space. Oh the space :) It's only 450 sqft but that 450 sqft is mine. MY bathroom. MY kitchen. MY living room - I'm gunna have a place to hang out that's not my bedroom! 

Edited by hippyscientist

55 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm so glad that I live in a place that the risk of harm is nearly non-existent. :wacko:

I have never, ever felt unsafe in the town I live in, day or night. 

Usually I feel ok... especially if I'm not alone. 

But I have often had men follow me saying provocative or just downright disturbing things at me. Creepy guys staring at me on the train and asking me to dance, or commenting on my clothing. Some of them are nice, some of them are not. And I have never walked alone at night. So if they follow me in broad daylight... I can only imagine what they would do at night. I'm actually rather concerned about what I am going to do getting to the university. The train goes there, but I have to get off downtown and board another train. Not something I want to do at nighttime. Just not sure yet. 

I have spent countless nights in the "wilderness". Bears coming into camp, cougar country, bobcats, having a grizzly charging uphill towards our trail.... Never in my time outdoors have I ever felt even remotely the fear that I have being surrounded by these unsavory men. 

3 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

All this apartment talk! Im glad i have a roommate to share costs with, but my goal is to be by myself from my third year on. 

Im getting really anxious and havent packed anything. At all. 

Same! And I move in 9 days! :( I picked up a textbook and went to put it in a box, and then realized that I didn't want to move. Ah well :D

I'm so jealous of people moving right now (well, I guess not all of you sound particularly enthused about it, sorry!). I have to share a bedroom with my sister and her stuff has taken up the whole room. I have my computer in our basement but it's super cold down here and it's difficult to be alone with the rest of my family around all the time. I'm going to miss them though. :( But I feel like I finally get to start my own life soon?

4 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

I'm so jealous of people moving right now (well, I guess not all of you sound particularly enthused about it, sorry!). I have to share a bedroom with my sister and her stuff has taken up the whole room. I have my computer in our basement but it's super cold down here and it's difficult to be alone with the rest of my family around all the time. I'm going to miss them though. :( But I feel like I finally get to start my own life soon?

Yeah you do :D It's natural to feel a little bit of missing the family and that living situation doesn't sound the most conducive to good work! But exciting times ahead :)

I'm pretty envious of people moving too. I'd love to get started on everything I need to do once I get to the US, and catch up with some of my best friends over there but I gotta finish my degree here first. I'll be sad to say bye to my friends, and there's certain things I'll miss about the UK (mainly food-based, not gunna lie) but this next step is the exciting one. This is the "I'm finally an adult, I've achieved what I set out to do aged 18, and I'm gunna make the science world know who I am" step. The previous steps have warmed me up and made me ready to take this one and I couldn't be more excited or prepared.

14 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Yeah you do :D It's natural to feel a little bit of missing the family and that living situation doesn't sound the most conducive to good work! But exciting times ahead :)

I'm pretty envious of people moving too. I'd love to get started on everything I need to do once I get to the US, and catch up with some of my best friends over there but I gotta finish my degree here first. I'll be sad to say bye to my friends, and there's certain things I'll miss about the UK (mainly food-based, not gunna lie) but this next step is the exciting one. This is the "I'm finally an adult, I've achieved what I set out to do aged 18, and I'm gunna make the science world know who I am" step. The previous steps have warmed me up and made me ready to take this one and I couldn't be more excited or prepared.

I'm surprised I did so well in my summer classes since I was home (although all the roommates I've been stuck with have been very noisy too so I'm surprised I got any work done at all)! :P I'm wanting to move to the US soon as well but I guess I am waiting on a visa to do that, but I think that should be finalized soon! When I've gone to the US it honestly doesn't feel too different to me than Canada, except the US is cheaper and has better food.

That's great though! It's really good to be proud of your accomplishments and things you set out to do. With a good attitude you are going to do well. :)