We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

2 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

But also, there are always good opportunities for English department puns or literary shirts in general. But, yet, most academic-y lit people don't seem big into the whole book-reference t-shirt thing, so they never happen. I'm usually with them, to be honest, but, have to say, this one's pretty enticing: http://www.litographs.com/collections/t-shirts/products/moby-tee

Those are actually pretty cool. :) I don't really wear a lot of graphic tees but I like quite a few of these designs. Unfortunately, though, I haven't read too many classics (I probably should do this more but there are just so many books to read!)

51 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

there are just so many books to read!

Tell me about it! I have a 10 page single-spaced list worth of 'em to read by the end of next summer. (And this not counting anything for courses!) (Admittedly, really not complaining though--always happy to spend some more time with Shakespeare or Faulkner. :) It is, like, my job now, or something. :) )

2 minutes ago, metamorph said:

Ok. So.

I will be moving to Ithaca. I come from a warm, pleasant climate and I have never seen snow. I am apprehensive~

Also - I need to figure out the housing situation. 

BUT.

I am happy. Yay! ^_^

Hey, me too! I actually move next week :D From what I hear, the summers more than make up for the winters, but we'll see!!

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hey, me too! I actually move next week :D From what I hear, the summers more than make up for the winters, but we'll see!!

Wow! That is so cool ... I will be moving in Fall season, so I might miss out on that summer...but you get to enjoy all of that!

I was seeing so many videos and all those taglines of "Ithaca is gorges!" 

I see your signature and that  you are attending Cornell - did you look out for the on campus options? Is it difficult to come by? 

GAH! I want to ask so many questions!!

And to add - Hi nice to meet you :)

4 minutes ago, metamorph said:

Wow! That is so cool ... I will be moving in Fall season, so I might miss out on that summer...but you get to enjoy all of that!

I was seeing so many videos and all those taglines of "Ithaca is gorges!" I see your signature and that  you are attending Cornell - did you look out for the on campus options? Is it difficult to come by? 

GAH! I want to ask so many questions!!

And to add - Hi nice to meet you :)

I chose not to live on campus... the apartments there are pricey and pretty run-down, and it's hard to find a one-bedroom (and I really didn't want a roommate), so I'm living like 10 minutes away near Lansing. Then again, I didn't look very hard :)

I'm definitely not the one to answer your questions... I know nothing about the area other than two visits so far :D

And hi, nice to meet you too! I'm glad to meet someone else who is moving to Ithaca!!

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I chose not to live on campus... the apartments there are pricey and pretty run-down, and it's hard to find a one-bedroom (and I really didn't want a roommate), so I'm living like 10 minutes away near Lansing. Then again, I didn't look very hard :)

I'm definitely not the one to answer your questions... I know nothing about the area other than two visits so far :D

Alright!

Hope you get to enjoy the lovely summer there :) . Good luck on the start of your program! 

Moved from a year-round warm climate to New York. Here's some advice:

-INVEST IN A THICK, HOODED COAT THAT GOES TO YOUR KNEES AND SNOW BOOTS. Gloves, hats, scarves are your friends too. Get used to scraping ice off your windshield and shoveling your driveway. Every morning.

-Practice driving on ice and in the snow in a parking lot. Almost flew off a hill during the winter because I didn't practice.

-Stockpile on food and necessities before the blizzards roll in. There will be days where the snow will trapped you inside.

-The snow will be precious the first few weeks, a month tops. But once April comes around and it's still snow, you will want to scream. 

-Stir crazy is real. Find something to occupy your time in and out of your place. Make the most out of the snow with winter activities. It ain't going anywhere anytime soon anyway

-Summers are beautiful. Nothing like the hellheat I was used to

Enjoy New York! It is a lovely state.

1 minute ago, janetjanejune said:

-Stockpile on food and necessities before the blizzards roll in. There will be days where the snow will trapped you inside.

I echo this, and I'd like to reinforce the potentiality of a pre-blizzard rush at grocery stores.

It might be a good habit to just keep an extra week or so of food in the house, assuming finances allow it. People go crazy when bad weather is about to happen. Sometimes I feel like they think they have to buy six loaves of bread and five gallons of milk. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I echo this, and I'd like to reinforce the potentiality of a pre-blizzard rush at grocery stores.

It might be a good habit to just keep an extra week or so of food in the house, assuming finances allow it. People go crazy when bad weather is about to happen. Sometimes I feel like they think they have to buy six loaves of bread and five gallons of milk. :wacko:

Our pre-hurricane rush was always pretty terrible. 

I once went in to get something a solid 3-4 days before the hurricane was supposed to hit.... Walmart, WALMART was empty. No jugged water, no milk, no bread, no cans. Nothing. The only thing left was the soft produce. Also... all of the gas stations were closed because there was no more gas. They literally ran out of gas because everyone stockpiled for their generators. I always keep extra rice, chickpeas, canned veggies, and like a couple cans of chicken. Stuff like that keeps for a really long time. 

Now that we've moved, if a decent hurricane were to hit houston, we would likely evacuate rather than stay. It floods here too badly. 

2 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Our pre-hurricane rush was always pretty terrible. 

I once went in to get something a solid 3-4 days before the hurricane was supposed to hit.... Walmart, WALMART was empty. No jugged water, no milk, no bread, no cans. Nothing. The only thing left was the soft produce. Also... all of the gas stations were closed because there was no more gas. They literally ran out of gas because everyone stockpiled for their generators. I always keep extra rice, chickpeas, canned veggies, and like a couple cans of chicken. Stuff like that keeps for a really long time. 

Now that we've moved, if a decent hurricane were to hit houston, we would likely evacuate rather than stay. It floods here too badly. 

Yup, I'm the same way! :) I always have some rice, beans, etc. sitting around. I could manage to eat for a week or so, at any rate.

14 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

Tell me about it! I have a 10 page single-spaced list worth of 'em to read by the end of next summer. (And this not counting anything for courses!) (Admittedly, really not complaining though--always happy to spend some more time with Shakespeare or Faulkner. :) It is, like, my job now, or something. :) )

I recently got my stack of books out that I had in my closet and sorted my books by "read" and "to read" on my bookshelf. Not only have I run out of space, but I have so many "to read" books it's ridiculous! I'm overwhelmed but at the same time I love how much my book collection has grown. I'm excited for when I move to my new place so I can buy a giant bookshelf to hold everything. But I really need to get to reading things I haven't yet. (Not complaining either, though. :))

2 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

I recently got my stack of books out that I had in my closet and sorted my books by "read" and "to read" on my bookshelf. Not only have I run out of space, but I have so many "to read" books it's ridiculous! I'm overwhelmed but at the same time I love how much my book collection has grown. I'm excited for when I move to my new place so I can buy a giant bookshelf to hold everything. But I really need to get to reading things I haven't yet. (Not complaining either, though. :))

I like Eco's take on the to-read stack: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/26/umberto-eco-antilibrary-oliver-burkeman

20 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

I've started getting ebooks. It's hard to justify the space demanded by physical books. Although, there's plenty of good books that aren't available as ebooks, so. :) 

I'm actually doing pretty good on the book stack front. I have maybe.. 20 unread books? I'm okay with that. 

Joining in on the book conversation - I use my goodreads account to keep track of everything I want to read, and how long it takes me to read each book (yes I'm nerdy like that). I am basically 100% ebooks now due to moving around all over the place for the last 6 years but I really miss having a collection. I'm making my mom keep a box full of favourites in her garage until I'm settled somewhere and she can ship them to me. It's my absolute dream one day to have a home library that doubles as an office. All dark wood, chesterfield sofa, roaring fireplace, old & massive desk and walls covered in bookshelves filled with books. 

Right now I've got 4 book series lined up which should hopefully take me until July. The book thirst is real! 

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

I've started getting ebooks. It's hard to justify the space demanded by physical books. Although, there's plenty of good books that aren't available as ebooks, so. :) 

I'm actually doing pretty good on the book stack front. I have maybe.. 20 unread books? I'm okay with that. 

I probably have about 30-40 unread books, so it's nothing ridiculous but I don't know how I ended up accumulating so many (probably all the book buying sprees I have? ;)). I really wish I could get into e-books. They seem really convenient but it just doesn't feel the same to me. I might give the Kindle a chance one day, though, as I've only tried reading from my computer.

@hippyscientist I also have a goodreads account. It's very helpful for keeping track of books I want to read as well, although I try to keep the amount of books I want to read around the same as the books I have read so I don't go crazy and wishlist a thousand things. :) 

I like the concept of ebooks, and I use an e-reader for some things, but, I also really like annotating and handwriting, so, until there's a tablet with a stylus that well-mimics paper-on-pencil, I'm going to keep dragging around my large paper book collection. I'm not even sure I want to think about how many unread books I have--I'm definitely something of a collector (read: hoarder), but maybe that just goes with the whole studying literature/book history thing. But, bright side: I never have to think about wall decorations: the bookshelves take care of it all. :) 

On 4/24/2016 at 10:49 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

If only :( mine are actually airborne allergies, so I can't even be near some foods or I can stop breathing. Gggrrrrrrrrrr

Maybe you can cook like Walter White does, it might work!

1 hour ago, fernandes said:

Are you guys talking about books to read for fun or for work?

Both. Sorta. Most books I read are about information studies, science, technology, or medicine. These books usually aren't as academically dense as books assigned for classes, but they are tangentially related. :) 

I do read some fiction books for pleasure, but they tend to be related  to my primary interests. For example, I read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate a month or two ago. I'm interested in cultural representations of science, technology, and medicine, so the book is inline with these interests, if not directly relevant.

On 25/04/2016 at 2:17 AM, cwr said:

Which fellowship, if you don't mind me asking? 

I understand what you mean about not having people from your undergrad to ask, because I dealt with this all year for fellowships. With the exception of the NSF, everything I applied for was uncharted waters for students from my university. The best we had was one faculty member who was a previous winner for one of them, but no current or former students to ask. 

Okay, so that's in keeping with what I heard about the interviews (the obscure, almost unanswerable questions). Are you (or did they have reason to think that you would be) familiar with autocorrelation coefficients of a system? Because I would have just stared blankly at them if I was asked that, because I haven't the foggiest idea what an autocorrelation coefficient is. It's pretty disheartening to hear that four years of research is looked at as not enough independent/creative input, especially considering my field, because usually huge teams work on papers/analyses. 

Best of luck in applying this year, if you do. I would say – if you can bring yourself to – why the hell not? The worst thing that happens is they say no, and we can all share in the rejection next year. I'm sure the DoE would help your case, but either way, that's a huge deal. Realistically, I'm trying to target the CSGF for next year, since DoE funding in high-energy physics is huge, so getting the CSGF would be a huge boost for me. 

The fellowship I'm doing now? The Marshall Scholarship, so I'm in the UK doing my masters.

When they asked about autocorrelations, I momentarily blanked and almost asked for a reminder. But I have done stuff with that before - it's how data correlates with itself over time, essentially. As for applying again, I'll probably talk to my advisor about it once I'm settled in the fall. I'm also guessing Harvard might have more resources to help out with the prep than my undergrad uni did. :)

6 hours ago, janetjanejune said:

Moved from a year-round warm climate to New York. Here's some advice:

-INVEST IN A THICK, HOODED COAT THAT GOES TO YOUR KNEES AND SNOW BOOTS. Gloves, hats, scarves are your friends too. Get used to scraping ice off your windshield and shoveling your driveway. Every morning.

Heh, I went from Wisconsin to Boston for my undergrad and during 5 years I never bothered to bring my winter coat or boots with me. I thought it was positively balmy! Then again, put me down south and I'd probably shrivel up and die.

Just now, pterosaur said:

Then again, put me down south and I'd probably shrivel up and die.

Lol. That's how I feel every day... and I've been down here for years now. 

I can't wait to just move somewhere in the middle ;)