We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

I really want to start a sleeve before i leave for grad school, but the way my finances are set up...

Anyone play musical instruments? Im trying to get back into playing the cello but im as proficient as a middle schooler. Ive forgotten a LOT in the 13 years since 6th grade

Just now, rhombusbombus said:

I really want to start a sleeve before i leave for grad school, but the way my finances are set up...

Anyone play musical instruments? Im trying to get back into playing the cello but im as proficient as a middle schooler. Ive forgotten a LOT in the 13 years since 6th grade

I used to play (in order of proficiency) flute, sing, guitar and piano. It's been a while since I stopped playing - now it's just general jamming sessions with friends but I will not be bringing any of my instruments with me. Sometimes I miss my orchestra days but then I think of the work that went into it and I am much happier with a few extra minutes in bed and an extra gym session! 

24 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I used to play (in order of proficiency) flute, sing, guitar and piano. It's been a while since I stopped playing - now it's just general jamming sessions with friends but I will not be bringing any of my instruments with me. Sometimes I miss my orchestra days but then I think of the work that went into it and I am much happier with a few extra minutes in bed and an extra gym session! 

I play(ed) flute, too. Played for almost 7 years, actually.

I tried pulling it out last year, and I remembered far more than I would have expected. However, my tone was awful. Either I'm just plain horrible now or the pads need to be replaced. Probably both. :) 

Edited by Neist

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I play(ed) flute, too. Played for almost 7 years, actually.

I tried pulling it out last year, and I remembered far more than I would have expected. However, my tone was awful. Either I'm just plan horrible now or the pads need to be replaced. Probably both. :) 

I've had my flute since I was 7. I played religiously from 7 -16, then sporadically since. I'm scared to get my flute out - it's been sat in its case for the past 3 years. I love that stupid thing but it needs a massive clean and new pads for sure. That's the issue with wind instruments (and brass) - all the spit that goes into them! Ugh.

22 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh no! What happened? I dyed my hair today but not an adventurous colour - I've just gone super dark. 

i'm thinking of going super dark too! i always feel weird dying my hair though because it's really short and curly so it feels like a waste..

2 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

i'm thinking of going super dark too! i always feel weird dying my hair though because it's really short and curly so it feels like a waste..

DO IT! But that's awesome - one box and you can go all sorts of colours :)

I pulled a muscle training today, I now can't walk without pain or lie down. :( stupid cardio.

I officially accepted Texas Tech offer! I'm so happy and excited. And it's super nice out today, too bad I have to study for hydro blah. @jlt646 my friends say it doesn't look like a mullet so that's good, enough though it feels like it! My exercise routine is yoga every now and then, plus walking. I'm super un-athletic  haha

Edited by Need Coffee in an IV
mispelled!

I'm taking a genetics class at a local community college just for some background and time killing.

We have a group project due tomorrow and my project members are pretty useless. But I don't know if I think they are bc they ARE or bc I know I'll  be moving on from this in 2 months to start grad school.

They're having difficulties with google docs. They might actually just be useless.

6 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I'm taking a genetics class at a local community college just for some background and time killing.

We have a group project due tomorrow and my project members are pretty useless. But I don't know if I think they are bc they ARE or bc I know I'll  be moving on from this in 2 months to start grad school.

They're having difficulties with google docs. They might actually just be useless.

Group work is will forever be the bane of my existence since my field is nothing but group work! But yeah I'm sorry! I have a wiring project that's group work and I've been the one in charge of getting everyone to do work so it can actually get done! Sometimes I wish I didn't pull off being bossy so well :-P

Just got word on the last fellowship I applied for... didn't get it. :( It had a 1.25% success rate, and I made it to the top 5% by getting to the finalist round, but that wasn't enough.

7 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

Yeah! I know quite a few instruments at the middle school level (trombone, trumpet, sax), and some that I'm pretty proficient at (piano, clarinet, xylophone, guitar)

But my personal favorite is the ukulele. I play around town whenever I can, I like to sit on a bench in our little downtown area and play (not for tips or anything) especially around the holidays. 

7 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

I took professional piano lessons for ten years, but slowed down once I moved away for undergrad. Don't really have the room for a keyboard, and I don't even like playing on keyboards... my favorite pieces to play require a full-sized piano.

On 4/3/2016 at 4:44 PM, janetjanejune said:

Sidenote: Anyone ever use YouTube to get better at their hair/makeup? My friends rave over it for makeup tips, but I'm weary. Trying to get more into makeup as I have the skills of a five-year-old who's found her mama's stash.

Yes!  If it weren't for youtube I wouldn't have a clue how to apply it, which brands to use, what looks with my skin tone, what's trendy, what's good for my skin type, etc.  I was actually studying videos recently since I'll be relocating to a new climate and figured I should upgrade my makeup and experiment with some different colors and trends.  I started out as clueless as you and now I'm way more comfortable.

As for hair youtube can be helpful in terms of styling tools, but not always helpful at teaching me new hairstyles.  Once I found the right flat iron hair styling became a breeze.  I so admire you gals on here doing something wild and new with your hair.  I just don't have the nerve.  Every time I think about getting a cut or a color I worry about hating it in a week, which is possible because I often hate things lol.  Maybe I'll just grow it a little longer, that would be kind of different yet somehow still the same lol.

12 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I LOVE IT!!! 

Moving the topic away from hair, what's the deal with sports clubs? I want to keep training but is it going to be weird joining a club with potential students in? Anyone else feeling similarly? My PI is awesome and basically said as long as I get my work done he doesn't care where or when so I'm flexible with regards to timings (other than classes and TA responsibilities). 

Sports clubs?  You mean a gym?  I bet your school has one that you can use for free or very cheap since exercise is good for you.  There's probably several other fitness joints in town with student rates.  I found an aerial yoga studio in my new city and am looking forward to trying that.  It's not a cheap workout, but I just went once or twice a month it would be a nice change and more affordable.

8 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

No, but if I had the aptitude I'd learn the harp.  I always wanted to dress up like one of those sexy Greek style sirens and tempt men with my harp strings.  

2 of my groupmates ended up doing their parts on pretty much the same thing. how did this happen when i made a google spreadsheet of our parts? What is wrong with these people! Why are they confused on what they have to do when i've sent them the info! practically on a silver platter!ksb;lbc;advbcbdjfvb

/rant over

I don't care anymore. Me getting into grad school isn't contingent on this class. 1 month left and I'll never see them again.

43 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

Yeah...speaking of frustration and a lack of motivation...do we know how closely do grad schools look at grades in the last semester of school (after you've been accepted)? :wacko:

My guess is as long as you don't fail classes... who cares? :D

@MarineBluePsy I've looked at some videos and I'm already in love. 

@pterosaur Sucks to hear about the fellowship. Are there any others you can apply to?

My instrument claim to fame: in 5th grade, borrowed my sister's old flute and played for three weeks. Only did it because the band director desperately needed kids and I felt bad for him.

3 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

I don't care anymore. Me getting into grad school isn't contingent on this class. 1 month left and I'll never see them again.

I feel this so much! I only have to pass my masters and I'm currently on track for a 4.0 so I've been taking my foot off the pressure a little bit. There's so much other stuff to organise, as long as my work gets done and to a reasonable standard I don't really care too much. Really looking forward to getting rid of some of my coursemates too.

12 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I feel this so much! I only have to pass my masters and I'm currently on track for a 4.0 so I've been taking my foot off the pressure a little bit. There's so much other stuff to organise, as long as my work gets done and to a reasonable standard I don't really care too much. Really looking forward to getting rid of some of my coursemates too.

6 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

This, too. I'm going to miss most of them, but some of them... sigh.

You know, I only rarely see the rest of my peers. Our department is pretty small, and our classes are fairly large; a lot of history of science courses are required for other majors. So, I might be in a class of 40, but the odds are good that I'm the only major in the course. I think there's only about a dozen of us.

To be honest, I think I only know perhaps 3-4 of the dozen. I kind of look forward to having some sort of interaction. It's been lonely! :D 

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

You know, I only rarely see the rest of my peers. Our department is pretty small, and our classes are fairly large; a lot of history of science courses are required for other majors. So, I might be in a class of 40, but the odds are good that I'm the only major in the course. I think there's only about a dozen of us.

To be honest, I think I only know perhaps 3-4 of the dozen. I kind of look forward to having some sort of interaction. It's been lonely! :D 

Oh man! I wouldn't have made it this far without some camaraderie, working with other physics majors on homework and things, I don't know how you do it! Do you think it'll be strange being in a program with only your HOS people?