We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

And, after my last visit.....: ready to accept an offer! Just trying to write letters to POIs at other programs, first, so I can send them all at once (having a hard time writing them, because I really do wish I could work with those individuals, even if the overall programs aren't right for me......) But yeah. Very excited about everything about the program I'll be attending. :):):):D 

I, too, just finished my last program visit. I went into this week with a gut decision in mind, and then some of these programs did a great job explaining their missions and resources available which just made me more confused!

Even though I came up with so many more questions while learning more about these schools, I think I may end up going with my gut...after I re-evaluate my graduate school spreadsheet one last time.

6 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yep! Moreover, if you vacate it before "leasing season", you still have to pay for the remaining months.That's why subleasing (a person "taking over someone else's" rent") is common.

Well sure if you break your lease before its up then it makes sense you'd be responsible for the remaining rent.  There are few exceptions that allow you to skip paying.  I guess what I don't get is a "leasing season" which sounds to me like there's only a certain time of year that apartments are available and any that aren't filled at that time just remain empty rather than just rented at a later time.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone else find filing the fafsa and setting up an fsa id a huge pain in the ass?  It seriously took me an hour to get everything squared away and submitted.

I'm trying to make a budget and find more ways to get some money for this move! 

I've been slowly getting access to penn state's student portals so all of the emails I've been getting from them have been exciting!

My apartment application is still under review though. ? I thought it'd be done by the end of this week but it's looking like the end of NEXT week. Kind of wish I'd gone with Lion's Gate just bc they seemed quicker on the approval side. I don't like waaaaiiiittting.

But I got some brown jasmine on clearance so that's exciting!

14 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Well sure if you break your lease before its up then it makes sense you'd be responsible for the remaining rent.  There are few exceptions that allow you to skip paying.  I guess what I don't get is a "leasing season" which sounds to me like there's only a certain time of year that apartments are available and any that aren't filled at that time just remain empty rather than just rented at a later time.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone else find filing the fafsa and setting up an fsa id a huge pain in the ass?  It seriously took me an hour to get everything squared away and submitted.

On the leasing season, I'm with you. I've never actually heard of a "leasing season." The only thing I can think of is that maybe it just refers to apartments by schools where availability is more abundant once the students graduate and move on (e.g. the summer).

I also am with you on the FAFSA. Good grief that was annoying.

5 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

On the leasing season, I'm with you. I've never actually heard of a "leasing season." The only thing I can think of is that maybe it just refers to apartments by schools where availability is more abundant once the students graduate and move on (e.g. the summer).

I also am with you on the FAFSA. Good grief that was annoying.

I hadn't heard the term before either, but then again I've never lived very close to a campus.  I always made sure to live nearby, but not among students so it was quieter.  I'm not sure I'll be able to stick with that for this move since I'll need to be on campus far more than I'm used to.

The fafsa would have been fine if they were still using pin numbers.  I've had the same pin for over a decade and likely would've remembered it after years in a coma.  It just seems less secure to have an fsa id created and maintained on a different website and then use it on the fafsa site.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Ugh... does anyone else have programs whose offers they've declined keep e-mailing them? Berkeley just e-mailed me for the sixth time... I declined their offer over a month ago...

I don't no, but both PIs from the schools I've heard back from (one reject and one accept) but not attending have added me on Linked In which is kinda cool. I guess because my field is so small we'll be seeing each other at conferences a fair bit - plus it would be awesome to post-doc in either of their labs (although I already have my heart set on 2 labs).

On 4/2/2016 at 7:15 PM, rhombusbombus said:

I've been slowly getting access to penn state's student portals so all of the emails I've been getting from them have been exciting!

My apartment application is still under review though. ? I thought it'd be done by the end of this week but it's looking like the end of NEXT week. Kind of wish I'd gone with Lion's Gate just bc they seemed quicker on the approval side. I don't like waaaaiiiittting.

But I got some brown jasmine on clearance so that's exciting!

I haven't been given access yet - I can only use the public search on LionPath and it's really frustrating me! The grad school has yet to review my transcript - ugh - and I just wish they'd let me know something more. I wanna be able to book my visa appointment!!!

On 4/2/2016 at 7:15 PM, rhombusbombus said:

But I got some brown jasmine on clearance so that's exciting!

Lol... we literally drove across state, viewed apartments, and signed a lease, got approved, whatever... all in 24 hours. Some places get you through fast and some don't.

11 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

2 weeks worth of points?! You lucky duck!

I know! She travels a lot for work so thats how shes able to build up all those points. Several years ago we were able to stay in downtown charleston for free because of her points. That was a fun trip. I know she feels guilty for traveling so much though, I tell her all the time its ok! She's excited though because she actually goes to a city for work frequently thats near Lubbock so shes happy she can still see me.

The only real issue I am having is coordinating the move from Michigan to Tempe/Phoenix.My girlfriend lives in central Illinois, and we have very different processes to go through to get out of our current leases. We can move early-to-mid June at the very earliest, and we both want to do that. 

It's going to be a hectic 2 months...

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

And my hair dye adventure yesterday turned out horribly... so now it's another 10 hours of adventure.

Oh no! What happened? I dyed my hair today but not an adventurous colour - I've just gone super dark. 

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I didn't bleach it first, so instead of "galaxy hair" there are just awkward blue streaks... 

Don't feel too bad :) Dying hair is more complicated than it should be. My wife is a cosmetologist, and you practically need to be a chemist to completely understand its nuances. 

On 4/3/2016 at 2:40 PM, Neist said:

Don't feel too bad :) Dying hair is more complicated than it should be. My wife is a cosmetologist, and you practically need to be a chemist to completely understand its nuances. 

No kidding! I'm actually having a friend do mine (twice, haha), and I'm SO glad... walking into a beauty supply store was overwhelming. Volume 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 developer? What brand of dye? Cream lightener or bleach? Soft or hard brush and how large? This color will go nicely on your hair but this other color which LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME won't really work. If you use Saran wrap the colors blend more than with tin foil, Washing your hair with conditioner it will mix them more, you're using the wrong shampoo, you have to sleep on a towel, this color bleeds more than the rest, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wow that sounds so complicated! I walked into the supermarket, picked up the box that had the colour I wanted, went home, mixed the colour tube into the squirty tube, put on head and covered with a plastic bag for 30 mins, washed it out and put the supplied conditioner on and then dried my hair. Admittedly nowhere near as awesome as the stuff professional colourists do but for £4 ($5.70) it's the most affordable way right now. 

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Wow that sounds so complicated! I walked into the supermarket, picked up the box that had the colour I wanted, went home, mixed the colour tube into the squirty tube, put on head and covered with a plastic bag for 30 mins, washed it out and put the supplied conditioner on and then dried my hair. Admittedly nowhere near as awesome as the stuff professional colourists do but for £4 ($5.70) it's the most affordable way right now. 

Is your natural hair color pretty light? I think that's my problem... I have to bleach it first :(

Also... mad props to you for doing it yourself! :)

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Is your natural hair color pretty light? I think that's my problem... I have to bleach it first :(

No my natural hair colour is slightly darker than mousey brown. I've bleached mine at home too many times. Again, I just buy the box and voila. I think the worst was when my drunk aunt decided to bleach my hair while I was sleeping aged 8. I went to bed a brunette and woke up with cold water being thrown on my face and orange hair. It was ORANGE. And not a cool orange. You've never seen anyone more mad than my parents! 

5 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

No my natural hair colour is slightly darker than mousey brown. I've bleached mine at home too many times. Again, I just buy the box and voila. I think the worst was when my drunk aunt decided to bleach my hair while I was sleeping aged 8. I went to bed a brunette and woke up with cold water being thrown on my face and orange hair. It was ORANGE. And not a cool orange. You've never seen anyone more mad than my parents! 

OMG! :D