We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Aww. I'm sorry. :( 

You never know though, something still might happen! Wouldn't be awesome if programs were a little more transparent? It's frustrating!

I guess maybe some people might reject at april 15th. So, maybe I will find something out then. 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

I guess maybe some people might reject at april 15th. So, maybe I will find something out then. 

It might even happen later.

My boss' husband got an funded offer to a MA program years ago in early August. They had one week to relocate before classes began.

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

So I asked the graduate advisor if people get off the funding waitlist often... and all I got was

"I can't say at this point. Sorry."

So now I'm depressed.

It's not a no until it's a no. Thinking positive for you. :-)

Can relate to family not understanding. No one in my immediate family went beyond trade school. My parents can't comprehend what I'm going to grad school for. They sympathized with my frustration and was very excited when I got in but they couldn't offer much advice. My friends were much more helpful.

On VT, wait till you hear back from the other schools. You don't want to jump the gun and miss out on a more suitable program.

On another note: Found out I'm getting $450 less from my assistantship than I expected. Talk about a wrench in my plans...

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all!

Edited by janetjanejune

@sjoh197 Sorry about the funding! Anyone else super paranoid that they are going to fail a class and then not get to go to grad school? Just me? Thats the only reason why I haven't accepted Texas yet. I'm super paranoid of my test in physics and we haven't gotten back yet. I thought I did ok but now I'm starting to freak a little. I mean I got an 84 on the first test but still

well i've almost officially made my decision! Unless Oxford suddenly accepts me or NYU gives me a whole bunch of funding, I'm most likely staying at Alabama for another two years!! It's hard to turn down the amazing funding offer they gave me, and I love the department and faculty so much. yippee!! can't wait to officially make my choice once NYU gets back to me next weekend :D

Just now, bioanth said:

well i've almost officially made my decision! Unless Oxford suddenly accepts me or NYU gives me a whole bunch of funding, I'm most likely staying at Alabama for another two years!! It's hard to turn down the amazing funding offer they gave me, and I love the department and faculty so much. yippee!! can't wait to officially make my choice once NYU gets back to me next weekend :D

Congrats! :) 

5 hours ago, Euler said:

Florida State is the one reason I'll probably continue waiting, especially since I may have a chance at a fellowship.

If you do get accepted, please let me know––that's my hometown, and I'd love to give you some recommendations on fun things to do and eat and see :)

I'm not sure if anyone is loitering around here tonight, but I'm polishing up a paper/script for a presentation at a university wide research day tomorrow. 

I should be grading a few papers, but eh.... I'll feel better if I'm well-prepared for tomorrow. Also drinking a beer, cause beer is yummy.

28 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm not sure if anyone is loitering around here tonight, but I'm polishing up a paper/script for a presentation at a university wide research day tomorrow. 

I should be grading a few papers, but eh.... I'll feel better if I'm well-prepared for tomorrow. Also drinking a beer, cause beer is yummy.

Best of luck! You should definitely relax before a big day... papers will still be there afterwards :)

22 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Best of luck! You should definitely relax before a big day... papers will still be there afterwards :)

Thanks!

I'm definitely not all that stressed about the presentation, to be honest. I gave the same presentation at a smaller departmental meeting in December, so it's practiced and somewhat polished. It was a bit mechanical in my first presentation, so I'm trying to prose it up a bit. :) 

Edited by Neist

Hey y'all ! Congrats to every who's been accepted! I'm starting my MSSW at UT Knoxville this Fall. This is my second time starting grad school. Got accepted into a M.S. Psychology program last fall and had partial funding, but soon realized it wasn't the right fit for me. So I decided to leave and pursue social work because it's a better fit for my interests and career goals. I'm hoping the second time is the charm. 

I'm also applying for a few scholarships and waiting to hear back from the school regarding funding. Most likely will be work part-time to offset some of the costs.

Any who, good luck to everyone in your studies!

I forgot to ask, those of you who will be living on your own/renting, what month do you plan to/did you move into your places?

I've found an apartment, but I'm on the fence about when to apply/begin my lease. I live with my parents currently and there's no "deadline" for me to move out, but I'm ready to leave the nest. (I'm in my mid twenties and it will be my first time living on my own. I stayed home during undergrad, with no regrets.) Part of me wants to apply/sign my lease next month (May), but the frugal part of me wants wait to move until July, allowing me to save a little more money during those couple of months. 

Any input? 

Edited by TigerMem

46 minutes ago, TigerMem said:

I forgot to ask, those of you who will be living on your own/renting, what month do you plan to/did you move into your places?

I've found an apartment, but I'm on the fence about when to apply/begin my lease. I live with my parents currently and there's no "deadline" for me to move out, but I'm ready to leave the nest. (I'm in my mid twenties and it will be my first time living on my own. I stayed home during undergrad, with no regrets.) Part of me wants to apply/sign my lease next month (May), but the frugal part of me wants wait to move until July, allowing me to save a little more money during those couple of months. 

Any input? 

We will probably move in July. FSU's orientation is on August 2nd and I would like to be there for it and to get a bit of a feel for the town before classes start at the end of August.

1 hour ago, TigerMem said:

Any input? 

I actually begin my lease six days before I graduate :P

So I'm graduating at 7PM on Friday, May 6th, then I'm driving all night (14 hours) to Ithaca to pick up my keys on Saturday. 

In regards to your circumstance, you might not have a choice for when you move in... some apartments require you to move in during a certain month since that's the beginning of their "leasing season". It's silly... but if you do have a choice, why not split the difference and move in in June? :P

4 hours ago, TigerMem said:

Any input? 

I'm the opposite to everyone else! My lease starts 5 days after I start my PhD (but the weekend before classes begin), but I'm planning on moving to the US about 2 weeks prior, and I'll just stay in a hotel - I looked at Airbnb's but they were ridiculously expensive - for the 2 weeks with a hire car (until I can get my own car). Sympathise with you on the moving out of home lark! I moved out at 17, travelled, went to uni then half-way through undergrad I had some unfortunate circumstances with a housemate so had to move back home, where I remained for the next 2.5 years (on and off). I've enjoyed being out of home this past year, but mum still drives 3 hours for a surprise visit so hopefully she won't be doing that when I move to PA!! 

5 hours ago, TigerMem said:

Any input? 

My plan so far is to stay in a hotel or maybe a short term sublet until I've learned the area.  I don't want to wind up moving every year because the area sucks or end up trapped in a long lease for a slum.

I get that you're eager to move out, but since you have the option of free housing right now I'd stay there until the last possible moment.  That way you can boost your savings and spend some quality time with them before you're busier.

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I actually begin my lease six days before I graduate :P

So I'm graduating at 7PM on Friday, May 6th, then I'm driving all night (14 hours) to Ithaca to pick up my keys on Saturday. 

In regards to your circumstance, you might not have a choice for when you move in... some apartments require you to move in during a certain month since that's the beginning of their "leasing season". It's silly... but if you do have a choice, why not split the difference and move in in June? :P

So if a unit is vacated before "leasing season" do they just let it sit empty?

Survived another week- just about! Everything in the lab is broken, I have no results and my thesis/project report is due in exactly 4 weeks. That being said, I have made a start with the writing finally, and I already have about 2500 words (out of 9000 max) so it's not so bad! I've also arranged to stop on over the summer in my current lab, working on something slightly different but getting paid for it which I'm really pleased about- I absolutely love working with my current supervisor, so getting to stay on is going to be so much fun. 

On the other hand, I am still nowhere near making a decision between my two top choices for PhD- I am just swinging between them basically on an hourly basis. Plus I need to survive the three exams I have coming up in the next few weeks (oh god) and my viva. I feel like I should just start up the coffee IV now! My other supervisor also wants me to present "results" in the group meeting on Monday morning, which will not be pleasant! Arghhh! Stress levels increasing already! 

How have everyone else's weeks been?

16 minutes ago, Brimstone said:

Survived another week- just about! Everything in the lab is broken, I have no results and my thesis/project report is due in exactly 4 weeks. That being said, I have made a start with the writing finally, and I already have about 2500 words (out of 9000 max) so it's not so bad! I've also arranged to stop on over the summer in my current lab, working on something slightly different but getting paid for it which I'm really pleased about- I absolutely love working with my current supervisor, so getting to stay on is going to be so much fun. 

On the other hand, I am still nowhere near making a decision between my two top choices for PhD- I am just swinging between them basically on an hourly basis. Plus I need to survive the three exams I have coming up in the next few weeks (oh god) and my viva. I feel like I should just start up the coffee IV now! My other supervisor also wants me to present "results" in the group meeting on Monday morning, which will not be pleasant! Arghhh! Stress levels increasing already! 

How have everyone else's weeks been?

wow that sounds very busy! I'd be freaking out with no results 4 weeks out - good for you being so calm (at least on here). Looks like you have a LOT on your plate too with exams. At least presenting to the group will help with your viva.

My week has been surprisingly productive. I've written 2 journal articles (one 2000 words, the other 3000 words) based off of a simulation and an experiment I did just before easter. I've been researching mattresses for when I move and I've started my diet - I'm struggling to eat enough which is the opposite complaint to most people. It's been sunny and really conducive to doing yoga outside. I've been less stressed than expected (especially considering I have 5000 words due in in 3 weeks which I haven't started). I think it's time for an hour of yoga and then dinner with a glass of wine. :D 

On 4/1/2016 at 11:50 AM, Neist said:

Unless you're going school with an absurdly huge endowment (like Harvard), what school can guarantee funding? It almost demands that the money is just sitting in the bank, waiting to be spent on you. I think that's probably unrealistic at most universities.

One of the things I like about bioscience PhD programs is funding is pretty much guaranteed, which is nice. 

3 minutes ago, Euler said:

I just officially accepted the offer to Virginia Tech! :D

Congrats! :D I'm sure you'll do well there!

41 minutes ago, Ignis said:

One of the things I like about bioscience PhD programs is funding is pretty much guaranteed, which is nice. 

I bet! :) I guess it does make sense though. I'm not incredibly familiar with science department funding, but I imagine it's easier to secure funding because the faculty member whose lab you'll work under probably knows exactly how much money they'll have for a given period of time (because it's from a grant or whatnot).

8 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

My plan so far is to stay in a hotel or maybe a short term sublet until I've learned the area.  I don't want to wind up moving every year because the area sucks or end up trapped in a long lease for a slum.

I get that you're eager to move out, but since you have the option of free housing right now I'd stay there until the last possible moment.  That way you can boost your savings and spend some quality time with them before you're busier.

So if a unit is vacated before "leasing season" do they just let it sit empty?

Yep! Moreover, if you vacate it before "leasing season", you still have to pay for the remaining months.That's why subleasing (a person "taking over someone else's" rent") is common.

4 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yep! Moreover, if you vacate it before "leasing season", you still have to pay for the remaining months.That's why subleasing (a person "taking over someone else's" rent") is common.

That's why I'm not tooo worried about finding a place, Lubbock is a small city/college city. There are plenty of places available. Our lease ends in July, but we will be leaving beforehand. My mom was generous and is letting me use her points so we can stay in a hotel for free for 2 weeks. So we will use that time to find a place. We decided against the uhaul, which makes things easier.