We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

5 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been active here because I've been traveling to the everywhere.

I officially accepted Delaware's offer yesterday!

Woo! It's finally all over! 

Congratulations @gingin6789 and everyone else who has made their final decisions!  Isn't it a great feeling?

1 hour ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Congratulations @gingin6789 and everyone else who has made their final decisions!  Isn't it a great feeling?

Thank you so much!! It sure is! I still have to formally turn down one program, but after that, I can announce it to the world and everything!

I was going to post earlier complaining about all the food talk because I was super hungry, but then I had tacos and I was good. However I'm here now because I'm sad that you all aren't with me at FSU so we could have this awesome camaraderie already established by the time we all get there. Basically you all are awesome and I wish our schools were closer.

14 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

On an unrelated note, my bank (who my student loans are through) just changed their website so it shows your net balance (including loans!) as soon as you log in.

Pink Fuzzy Bunny's balance:

-$39,285

Well that's depressing!!

Edited by Need Coffee in an IV
image didn't show up

11 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny we might have the same loan servicer! mine shows how much I owe too! Not too far behind at 37,132!

49 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

On an unrelated note, my bank (who my student loans are through) just changed their website so it shows your net balance (including loans!) as soon as you log in.

Pink Fuzzy Bunny's balance:

-$39,285

Well that's depressing!!

I'm at around $29,000 here. :D But it's going to get compounded interest come August. Eh well.

I'll probably end up taking a couple thousand per year for the next three years. I think we're all doing pretty good, though!

20 hours ago, Euler said:

I'm curious, do most or all of you guys consider yourselves workaholics? I just noticed my go-to stress relief is getting work done, since it feels good to accomplish something (and also I can work basically as much as I want and get paid per audio minute I transcribe- that sure helps)...I think I'm going to need to learn how to actually wind down when I get back into school.

I prefer to think of it as being productive.  I'm accustomed to having more than one job, multiple volunteer projects, social commitments, and academic responsibilities so I really don't relate to people that have only one or two things to do and are tired.  

12 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Nah you have a memory like me - so not creepy, just awesome! But yes it is that apartment. The irritating thing is I have to take it 5 days after I start my TA appointment (but 2 days before classes start). I also take it the day before my birthday!! Perfect timing. 

I HAVE MY OWN PLACE! NO ROOMMATES!!! I think I'm almost as excited about this as I was about getting in in the first place.

Oh I'm so glad it worked out!

10 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@Neist and @pterosaur I am a nester too. I love my own space - it doesn't have to be big but it has to be mine. Some of the tiny houses though, would be great for just me, but as soon as a dog or SO came into the picture I just don't see them as viable. Mind you - my idea of what constitutes a tiny house is ~ 50 sq ft. At this point in my life anything more than ~550 sq ft is too big for me. Is that considered small to Americans? I don't know! But I'm okay with the social side of living alone - I can cook, and cook well so when people find this out about me they tend to want to come over for dinner. That's fine by me! Bring some ingredients/dessert/wine and absolutely no problemo. Most of my social life has revolved around me cooking for people! 

@rhombusbombus thank you! it is exciting. Hope your apartment works out too :) 

By American standards I'd say that's small yes, but your lifestyle is going to determine if that works for you.  Someone who likes to host medium to large gatherings would suffocate in that space.  Or someone like myself who has a shopping addiction would be pissed at the lack of closet space lol.  I've lived alone for years and I can't say I've ever pondered the social side that much.  I socialize a lot so I'm gone a lot, but I definitely prefer to come home and have the place be empty instead of roommates and I don't know what to expect.

24 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm at around $29,000 here. :D But it's going to get compounded interest come August. Eh well.

I'll probably end up taking a couple thousand per year for the next three years. I think we're all doing pretty good, though!

Can you not defer them? For most (I thought all) student loans, you can defer making payments and the accrual of interest until you graduate grad school.

Also... real talk though. One of my friends is really trying to get into grad school... he applied to 16 places and got rejected from all but one, where he was put on a waitlist. It looks like he isn't going to get in there. He's so much more passionate than I am and I know that grad school is his one dream... anyone have any clues for what I can say to make the road a little less rough for him? He's older (mid 30's) and so I know his timeline is constantly on his mind. I just don't know what to say... it's gone from "hang in there" to "maybe look for backup plans". Help?

53 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Also... real talk though. One of my friends is really trying to get into grad school... he applied to 16 places and got rejected from all but one, where he was put on a waitlist. It looks like he isn't going to get in there. He's so much more passionate than I am and I know that grad school is his one dream... anyone have any clues for what I can say to make the road a little less rough for him? He's older (mid 30's) and so I know his timeline is constantly on his mind. I just don't know what to say... it's gone from "hang in there" to "maybe look for backup plans". Help?

Did he apply higher rank-wise than his credentials justify? I have one friend who applied to 8 schools and was rejected to all of them because they were all top-25, and his application just wasn't competitive. If that happens to be the case, I'd encourage him to go through again, improve whatever he can, and focus more on lower options.

If that's not the case, I'd be at a loss...clearly from other people here's stories, it can be done through taking the time until the next application cycle to make yourself a better applicant if that's what you still want to do. Looking for research positions, taking a couple grad-level classes and the like. But that's a hard choice, and often expensive, so it comes down heavily towards life plans and whether grad school is the only thing he could see himself doing. I know if I were in that situation right now, outside of earning enough to live on, all my extra energy would be going towards making things better for next time. But for a lot of people, grad school isn't the be-all end-all that it is for some of us.

Application/school stuff aside, just being there for him to have someone to talk to would likely go a long way!

9 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Can you not defer them? For most (I thought all) student loans, you can defer making payments and the accrual of interest until you graduate grad school.

Depends on the student loans. Many of mine are subsidized, but several are not. The unsubsidized ones still accrue interest.

Point of interest: You do not have access to subsidized stafford loans in graduate school. *insert sad trombone song*

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

What? That's not the case for me. I just called them to defer my payments and interest accrual and had no issues.

Then they are subsidized. :) 

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized#subsidized-vs-unsubsidized

"You are responsible for paying the interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods."

They won't charge you for it (e.g., month to month), but the interest is still growing. 

So far I've received only one acceptance, but, a yes is a yes. (still waiting on two schools which is ridiculous) No matter, starting next Fall I WILL be a graduate student!!!!!! Still working out all the kinks, for me it means moving across the country which in itself is quite scary, but there are still a ton of loose ends I need to take care of first, then figure out where I'm going to live. I'm nervous and excited all at once. Congrats to all who got accepted! 

11 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

He should've had a backup plan all along. I did. However, I know that it's frustrating when the rejections start coming in -wow 16 schools, that must have cost a fortune especially not to have any acceptances. I feel for him. I'd suggest looking for research positions, or really anything that he can do in that gap year that would add to his resume and application for next year. What program is he applying to? what are his grades like? when did he go to school? All these factor in so I can't really be any more specific. I'd be devastated if I didn't get accepted this cycle so I really feel bad for him. Hope he can figure out something productive to do in the mean time.  

12 hours ago, Neist said:

OUCH! are those numbers only from your undergrad!? 

20 minutes ago, Neist said:

Then they are subsidized. :) 

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized#subsidized-vs-unsubsidized

"You are responsible for paying the interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods."

They won't charge you for it (e.g., month to month), but the interest is still growing. 

I also have subsidized (Stafford) and unsubsidized (private). I guess the private vs. government is what makes the difference... I think?

11 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I also have subsidized (Stafford) and unsubsidized (private). I guess the private vs. government is what makes the difference... I think?

Probably! Wouldn't surprise me. :) 

Oh wow! I definitely need to figure out if my loans are subsidized or unsubsidized. I owe about $45k from my master's degree, and have been slightly panicky about the thought of it accruing interest for 5 years while I pursue a PhD.