We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Paris is my spirit animal :-P. I could only hang out with her in small doses, emotional intensity kinda drains me lol. Dean and his stupid floppy hair were my least favorite. I liked Marty but the writers ruined him.

Hahaha the floppy hair. I'm trying to remember Marty... I remember Rory saying his name but I don't remember him :P 

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hahaha the floppy hair. I'm trying to remember Marty... I remember Rory saying his name but I don't remember him :P 

He  was super annoying and controlling in The Police kind of way! Marty was the "naked guy" who was a bartender at Logan's parties. He dated Kristen Ritters character Lucy. I wish Kristen Ritter was introduced earlier, shes an awesome actress.

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Also, this is a weird question... but has anyone considered joining the Peace Corps after getting their PhD?

I remember pondering this after high school and I was really excited to travel and meet interesting people.  Then they told me that "developing country" often meant no indoor plumbing or hair salons or day spas.  I kept my privileged ass at home lol.

3 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I could never be a buddhist since I kill all the bugs and spiders. My rule is if you enter my apartment, you die. I have too much stuff and I've decided that I will be an uncluttered person from now on. Or at least until we are done moving! I just finished binge watching gilmore girls and now ready for the revival!

Yes I too think I'm entitled to kill anything I deem small and gross, though its exhausting so I'm looking forward to having a husband and making him do it.  Woohoo Gilmore Girls!  I'm almost done rewatching season 4.

49 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Its like that person you know and they haven't done anything "wrong" but their personality is like scratching Styrofoam. Michele is my favorite side character along with Jess. So I'm happy with the cast thats returning! I'm sad about the actor who played richard, he was so great.

RIP Ed Hermann 

31 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Paris is my spirit animal :-P. I could only hang out with her in small doses, emotional intensity kinda drains me lol. Dean and his stupid floppy hair were my least favorite. I liked Marty but the writers ruined him.

I too hoped that Marty would have a meatier role in the show.  It would have been good for Rory to date another hardworking smart guy, which is what Dean was.  I heart Dean.  I thought he was super hot when this show was new and now I'm slobbering over him again lol.  He should be in the revival.....shirtless....like a lot.  I mean for pete's sake the guy worked construction and we never got to see those muscles while he was swinging those hammers?  We were robbed!  

I hope Mrs. Kim returns, she was hilarious!  And why was there never a Mr. Kim?  And what about Christopher and Gigi?  No one needs to see Sherrie, she was awful.  Oh and Luke's unnecessary daughter April?  Will she be visiting during a school break or something?  I didn't like her character, but since they ruined an entire season with her presence they can't just pretend she doesn't exist.  And Madeline and Louise should make a cameo.  By now they're both probably married, with 4 kids, and popping xanax daily.

1 minute ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I remember pondering this after high school and I was really excited to travel and meet interesting people.  Then they told me that "developing country" often meant no indoor plumbing or hair salons or day spas.  I kept my privileged ass at home lol.

Yes I too think I'm entitled to kill anything I deem small and gross, though its exhausting so I'm looking forward to having a husband and making him do it.  Woohoo Gilmore Girls!  I'm almost done rewatching season 4.

RIP Ed Hermann 

I too hoped that Marty would have a meatier role in the show.  It would have been good for Rory to date another hardworking smart guy, which is what Dean was.  I heart Dean.  I thought he was super hot when this show was new and now I'm slobbering over him again lol.  He should be in the revival.....shirtless....like a lot.  I mean for pete's sake the guy worked construction and we never got to see those muscles while he was swinging those hammers?  We were robbed!  

I hope Mrs. Kim returns, she was hilarious!  And why was there never a Mr. Kim?  And what about Christopher and Gigi?  No one needs to see Sherrie, she was awful.  Oh and Luke's unnecessary daughter April?  Will she be visiting during a school break or something?  I didn't like her character, but since they ruined an entire season with her presence they can't just pretend she doesn't exist.  And Madeline and Louise should make a cameo.  By now they're both probably married, with 4 kids, and popping xanax daily.

I guess the writers thought Marty wasn't interesting enough! I think a good reason for Mr. Kim never showing up is that he was on missionary trips? I'm sure chris and gigi will show. Yeah April is going to be back, which I'm meh on. Maybe Madeline and Louise became the "it" socialites of New Orleans?!

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny I seriously looked into the Peace Corps (and UK Equivalents) for after undergrad but alas I ended up on this road instead (not that I'm complaining). 

Man you guys talking about gilmore girls makes me want to watch it all over again! I officially cannot do any more research moving forward until I get my video back so I am taking a lazy morning to watch Game of Thrones in bed. That counts as working right?

12 hours ago, fernandes said:

Thanks for the reply, mate. Yes, I will double check with the office of international students. I hope that I don't need to pay more fees to extend my visa in the future.

Hi there, just wanted to add to @hippyscientist the following:

"The expiration date shown on your F-1 visa does not reflect how long you are authorized to stay within the United States. You can stay in the United States on an expired F-1 visa as long as you maintain your student status. However, if you are returning home or traveling to a country where automatic re-validation does not apply, you must have a valid visa to return to the United States." (http://oip.sfsu.edu/f1/current/maintain/f1docs).

Also, Gilmore Girls is amazing and I can't wait for the revival! However, for those who think Sookie/Melissa McCarthy isn't coming back at all, she finally found a minute of her time to spend on set, so she'll be in at least one episode, for at least one scene (http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/melissa-mccarthy-gilmore-girls-revival-sookie-1201748676/). On the upside, Mrs. Kim will also be there (http://tvline.com/2016/02/11/gilmore-girls-revival-mrs-kim-emily-kuroda-cast/)!

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I couldn't do the peace corps, I love showers too much! I feel like if you sign up for the peace corps than you can't be one of those annoying volunteers who doesn't understand why there's no AC ;)

See that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Muck, dirt, no ac, no running water etc doesn't bother me as long as it's for a finite period. I couldn't do it for an extended length of time, but for up to 3 months I'd be okay. Probably longer if I could have a long weekend with those amenities once in a while.

6 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

See that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Muck, dirt, no ac, no running water etc doesn't bother me as long as it's for a finite period. I couldn't do it for an extended length of time, but for up to 3 months I'd be okay. Probably longer if I could have a long weekend with those amenities once in a while.

Yeah no, I shower everyday so that sounds like a nightmare. I'm an oily/sweaty person and I hate feeling dirty. I don't camp, I can only be in nature for so long!

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah no, I shower everyday so that sounds like a nightmare. I'm an oily/sweaty person and I hate feeling dirty. I don't camp, I can only be in nature for so long!

When I lived in a van I would consistently go a week without a shower. Made do in walmart bathrooms and a cloth and baby wipes but it wasn't too bad. That first shower though was amazing. I never wanted to get out of it!

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

When I lived in a van I would consistently go a week without a shower. Made do in walmart bathrooms and a cloth and baby wipes but it wasn't too bad. That first shower though was amazing. I never wanted to get out of it!

I bet! I just never really understood why I would pay 10-50 dollars a night to sleep on the ground. I can hike/walk around no problem but I need a bed at the end of the day!

8 hours ago, winterstat said:

Hi there, just wanted to add to @hippyscientist the following:

Thanks @winterstat! I read this last night and it made my situation feel less weird. It is just a shame that I would have to renew my visa in case I wanted to go home and visit my family. Thanks though!

If you go backpacking for any period of time, it's amazing how quickly one adjusts to not showering. It's still not overly hygienic, but it's easier to do than you'd think. :) 

I just discovered that you can upload .pdf's and .epub's to Google Books, the latter of which can be read to you. Then I found .pdf to .epub converter, so I should be able to listen to articles this fall instead of reading them. Yay for productivity! (I'm a really slow reader)

3 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I couldn't do the peace corps, I love showers too much! I feel like if you sign up for the peace corps than you can't be one of those annoying volunteers who doesn't understand why there's no AC ;)

Oh yes I'm the same way. I need to do some more looking into it, but I... I hope I would have a shower?

31 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Oh yes I'm the same way. I need to do some more looking into it, but I... I hope I would have a shower?

Depending on where you were stationed and the kind of work you'd be doing, you would have access to a shower; e.g. medical work in a city in India=shower whereas community work in rural Cameroon=probably no shower. There are all kinds of stories from volunteers about their experiences with varying degrees of positivity. A relative of mine who did Peace Corps and is now an epidemiologist with the CDC gave me some advice when I was considering it if you'd like me to pass that along?

@hippyscientist Yay on your video! Hope you're also able to find some good flights. I'd highly recommend flying into Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, renting a car, and driving as the State College airport is very small and with all the luggage you'll have, it might be easier to load that into a car!

All this talk about Gilmore Girls is so spoilery! I know the show has been out for forrrrrreeeeever but we've just started season two where Jess shows up....he seems like a major tool but my pard seems to love him for some reason. It's fun to watch! So much teen angst.

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

@hippyscientist Yay on your video! Hope you're also able to find some good flights. I'd highly recommend flying into Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, renting a car, and driving as the State College airport is very small and with all the luggage you'll have, it might be easier to load that into a car!

Yeah I've done it before, but thanks for the heads up :)  Cheapest and easiest to fly into Newark and drive out the next day. That's always been the plan, just waiting on my dad to get around to booking flights (he's got to make sure it works with work). Accommodation is all booked! I don't need to be homeless for a week :D thank you airbnb! 

Man I can't wait to binge Gilmore Girls again. Such a good show.

38 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah I thought about how there was a huge possibility of not getting a location with a shower sooooo opting out would be best. Besides I wouldn't be useful, I don't really have any skill sets that would be beneficial. I would rather send money, I would be in the way most likely.

@hippyscientist Oh oops sorry for being redundant! My offer to help you with moving stuff still stands, especially if you haven't quite healed up all the way.

So, question: Why is Gilmore Girls so good? Why do y'all like watching it?

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

@hippyscientist Oh oops sorry for being redundant! My offer to help you with moving stuff still stands, especially if you haven't quite healed up all the way.

So, question: Why is Gilmore Girls so good? Why do y'all like watching it?

Thank you! I might well take you up on it...not too much fun moving couches by yourself. Pizza/Take-out of choice will be payment :) 

Gilmore Girls fulfils so many things. It's an idealised version of the teen years, it still deals with the big issues but in a bubble. It builds a community of awesome people, and makes you feel like Stars Hollow would be an awesome place to live. I never had that community or camaraderie or friendship they portray in the show and it does it so well. There's few cheap shots and it generally feels like the show is giving you a hug every time you hear the theme song. That's my take on it anyhow

@Cat_Robutt I grew up watching gilmore girls so it has a nostalgia factor for me. I found the situations believable and the plots were well written! Plus I'm more of a fan for tv shows that can actually happen. Examples like Seinfeld, Psyche, Scrubs, etc. I'm not a huge fan of forensic shows or stuff dealing with superheros.

In the ever-uninteresting saga of me prepping for graduate school, I moved 100lbs of books to my apartment today, by foot. Sure, I could have driven a car, but what fun would that have been? I loaded up my backpacking pack with 20-30lbs a trip.

In hindsight, I think I should have driven a car.

9 minutes ago, Neist said:

In the ever-uninteresting saga of me prepping for graduate school, I moved 100lbs of books to my apartment today, by foot. Sure, I could have driven a car, but what fun would that have been? I loaded up my backpacking pack with 20-30lbs a trip.

In hindsight, I think I should have driven a car.

On the bright side... abs.