We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

@janetjanejune oh let the nipples free :) If I didn't need the support from torture devices I would burn them all.  

@sjoh197 tell me about it! I'm a really really awkward size - tiny band, large cups - so trying to find anywhere that stocks anything that fits for less than 3 figures is a miracle. 

I think long story short, boobs are great, bras really aren't!

@rhombusbombus ugh. I'm planning on having enough savings to live off until October, as I'm not sure when the assistantship payments will kick in and so there's a lot of things I want to get that will just have to be put off until steady income is coming in. In related news, have you, @jlt646,  @Cat_Robutt and any other penn staters seen the Graduate CATA pass - $180 for unlimited travel for the year?! That's so worth it in my book! 

Edited by hippyscientist

For my Sims houses, I tend to make them after historical designs. I think my best is based off of a mansion from the early 20th century in Pennsylvania, which fell into ruins when the estate tax was introduced and the heirs couldn't pay to keep up this insane house. Also I like making castles.

For money, my school hands out the first stipend check on orientation day in August. Except I'm paid directly by my fellowship, for which the first payment doesn't come until the end of September. <_<

But that hasn't stopped me from procrastinating by designing my perfect computer build after the suggestion here of getting a desktop. It's definitely harmed my research productivity. But dang, it's so shiny. Also, the longer I spend with it the more expensive it gets.

@hippyscientist - $180 for the year? That is a sweet deal... that's less than 2 months of tube pass (£87/month...)

10 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

For my Sims houses, I tend to make them after historical designs. I think my best is based off of a mansion from the early 20th century in Pennsylvania, which fell into ruins when the estate tax was introduced and the heirs couldn't pay to keep up this insane house. Also I like making castles.

For money, my school hands out the first stipend check on orientation day in August. Except I'm paid directly by my fellowship, for which the first payment doesn't come until the end of September. <_<

But that hasn't stopped me from procrastinating by designing my perfect computer build after the suggestion here of getting a desktop. It's definitely harmed my research productivity. But dang, it's so shiny. Also, the longer I spend with it the more expensive it gets.

@hippyscientist - $180 for the year? That is a sweet deal... that's less than 2 months of tube pass (£87/month...)

i built my first rig soon after starting my current job. this morning i had a very flighty idea of selling it...i don't even know how i could've thought that.

edit: GTX 1070? i'm drooling :wub:

Edited by Effloresce

On a related note, finally got my Cornell ID today (free bus pass until August 2017!) which means I can stop forking over $3 a day just to commute to school :D Still getting used to public transit though... I've had to ride the bus around the circuit a few times since I didn't know how to ask to get off :P

@hippyscientist i didnt see that yet but im def getting it. Ill have my car but sometimes its worth it not to drive! And tyey have bus stoos everywhere!

I only had enough savings to get me through june and sone of july. Luckily i start in the lab july 1st and will have a summer stipend. Id be way more stressed if that wasnt the case

4 hours ago, fernandes said:

@hippyscientist I successfully got my visa last week. How did yours go?

YaY!! Mine was approved too. It was a much nicer process than I've experienced before which was great. My appointment was at 8.30 and I was sat in starbucks drinking coffee by 9! So relieved - I bet you are too.

@rhombusbombus I'm hoping I won't need all those funds, but I'm putting off car stuff until my income is regular. The bus pass just seems to get around all the issues of commuting, and thankfully it looks like my apartment block is near the start of the route. I know some apartments throw a bus pass in with rent, might be worth checking? Pretty envious that you start so soon! 

@sjoh197 YAY! Congratulations :) You must feel pretty relieved to have some sort of funding sorted? 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny you get free bus with your ID?! Cool!

7 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Aren't there better deals online? 

There are, but I wasn't happy with what I was wearing and wanted a new fitting.

When I was like a C or a D as a teenager, I could buy stuff online and it would fit, but once I got past E territory, there was too much going on up there for unknown online bras to work. If I like this one, I'll look for it online on sale later.

Men might try to say otherwise, but big boobs suck. I feel bad for the heavier women with the really really big girls.

6 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

YaY!! Mine was approved too. It was a much nicer process than I've experienced before which was great. My appointment was at 8.30 and I was sat in starbucks drinking coffee by 9! So relieved - I bet you are too.

It was such a relief!!

12 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Well, I finally got a TA offer from UH. Don't really know much else... but I'm feeling much better about my decision to try to go to grad school. 

Congrats! I was starting to worry for you! I'm glad it panned out. :) 

I amidst planning my course schedule for the next three years. I meet with one advisor (since I'm dual degree, I have two) today for lunch, and I want to ensure that all my t's are crossed.

3 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

Congrats @sjoh197!!! That's great news. :)

I'm really curious to when I get my first stipend amount. Doubt it will be at orientation.

Couldn't hurt to ask. :) 

My first disbursement is August 31. Appointment officially begins August 1, even if we're not required to be there for a few more weeks.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Congrats! I was starting to worry for you! I'm glad it panned out. :) 

I amidst planning my course schedule for the next three years. I meet with one advisor (since I'm dual degree, I have two) today for lunch, and I want to ensure that all my t's are crossed.

I was starting to worry for me too lol. I guess they just wanted to see if I would have a heart attack before coming in lol. 

Also... since I feel like venting....

We got our renewal offer from our apartment complex. It was addressed only to my partner, despite both of our names being on the lease. WTF? I'm not even mentioned at all in the entire offer. Idiots.

We're moving anyways... but still. 

I was freaking out about not finding affordable places in Nashville..but I think while it's nice to live close to campus, a 10-15 minute drive is nothing especially if i'm going to be saving $400-$500 in rent. And the more residential areas are really cute and have tons of yard space which is nice!!!

Man, I overthink things. 

I'm going to be advised at lunch, with a faculty member who offered to pay for it (we're well-acquainted). It should be casual, and I don't see any reason the tentative course list I've developed wouldn't be acceptable, but am I ever nervous!

It's so funny the things I miss here when I'm out for a few days––I leave, we're talking about Sims, I come back to free the nipple lol :P I'm just surprised no one has mentioned chafing yet, what with the reliably reasoned discussions we have. :lol:

We move on Friday! I'm really nervous about being on the road for essentially two months....I've never spent more than a few days at my pard's childhood home, and can't believe we will be there for almost a month. Hoping things go well with the in-laws; if not, at least I'll have a boatload of really interesting stories to tell at awkward cocktail parties?

@Neist Best of luck with your meeting(s)! You've probably got one of the best plans they've ever seen and they will be speechless.

And @Effloresce I'm sure you've already done this, so sorry if this is redundant, but have you checked Padmapper and asked current students who will be graduating about their housing? I hope you're able to find a good place. 

38 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

It's so funny the things I miss here when I'm out for a few days––I leave, we're talking about Sims, I come back to free the nipple lol :P I'm just surprised no one has mentioned chafing yet, what with the reliably reasoned discussions we have. :lol:

We move on Friday! I'm really nervous about being on the road for essentially two months....I've never spent more than a few days at my pard's childhood home, and can't believe we will be there for almost a month. Hoping things go well with the in-laws; if not, at least I'll have a boatload of really interesting stories to tell at awkward cocktail parties?

@Neist Best of luck with your meeting(s)! You've probably got one of the best plans they've ever seen and they will be speechless.

And @Effloresce I'm sure you've already done this, so sorry if this is redundant, but have you checked Padmapper and asked current students who will be graduating about their housing? I hope you're able to find a good place. 

We're an eclectic bunch of nerds here that's for sure. The ever-changing conversation topic makes me smile.

Also, I love living on the road!!! Have so much fun :) The best stories come from the most random adventures so say yes to things you wouldn't normally (YMMV with that advice). 

11 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

We're an eclectic bunch of nerds here that's for sure. The ever-changing conversation topic makes me smile.

Wouldn't have it any other way. :D 

51 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

It was painless, thankfully! It seemed clear that I'm the first person to ask for advisement, and my tentative schedule seemed tentatively appropriate. There's still the possibility of courses dropping from the schedule in a year or two (rotations are planned, but who knows if they'll lack the staff to teach certain courses), but I'll cross those bridges later. She also guessed that there would be little issue with the electives I want to take, assuming they contribute to my research.

The library side of my coursework is nutty. They have long rotations schedules. Some courses are only offered once ever two years. Many have prerequisites, so you have to plan everything in advance.

4 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

i have checked padmapper, but haven't asked current students! thanks for the tip. :)

i think i'll be able to find a good place! there's an area of town i really want to live in but it's kinda far from campus but i know current students live there, so maybe i'll try it.

Also try emailing the administrative assistant of the department. When I mentioned I was looking for housing, the admin. asst. kept emailing me with students in the department who were looking for a roommate. He/she can also tell you where most graduate students live!

On a side note, I FINALLY found out today how much I'll be making over the summer and it's almost twice what I was expecting! It looks like I'll be making several thousand less when I'm on the NSF fellowship :P That's a great problem to have!