We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Haha. This is so true. 

@Danger_Zone, you could always pick up a cheap Xbox 360 and play it that way. :) The game plays better with a controller, I think.

My boyfriend has some consoles so I plan on sharing console games that way once he moves in with me. :) I believe he has the ME games on steam and we use family sharing so I could probably play them that way.

@sjoh197 I understand. That's my boyfriend's - and to an extent my - hobby as well. 

You guys should see my father's new laptop. It's some 8 core 64 Gb ram...bs. He's got like 6 extra hardrives connected to it at his home office, along with the 2 that are already in it. 

I don't even understand how it works. Lol 

47 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Definitely regret paying ~$2k for a gaming laptop. Two years later and I'm already thinking of just getting a desktop...

Now/soon is probably a good time to build a good gaming desktop if you have the money, with the new NVIDIA GTX 1070/1080 graphics cards coming out. 

My boyfriend had a gaming laptop as well and it just didn't last very long. I think he's much happier with his desktop. 

On the topic of computers: my current laptop is pretty decent (2 year old thinkpad), but my PhD fellowship comes with $5000 I can use to buy a computer. I'm not sure whether I should get a laptop or desktop. I use my laptop as my daily driver, carrying it back and forth and using it for all my lab work, which makes think I should go with a laptop. But you can get a lot more bang for your buck on a desktop. In particular I'm thinking of RAIDed terabyte hard drives to store all my photos, etc. In addition to running most things off of a SSD. But damn, something like the Dell Precision 5510 is so shiny . It's more of a workstation machine than a gaming laptop. I'm not a regular gamer (occasionally games like Portal and the Sims, but unfortunately FPS makes me nauseous pretty quickly). 

Edited by pterosaur

Just now, pterosaur said:

On the topic of computers: my current laptop is pretty decent (2 year old thinkpad), but my PhD fellowship comes with $5000 I can use to buy a computer. I'm not sure whether I should get a laptop or desktop. I use my laptop as my daily driver, carrying it back and forth and using it for all my lab work, which makes think I should go with a laptop. But you can get a lot more bang for your buck on a desktop. In particular I'm thinking of RAIDed terabyte hard drives to store all my photos, etc. In addition to running most things off of a SSD. But damn, something like the Dell Precision 5510 is so shiny. 

Shit, with an extra $5000 you could get a decent one of both.

Just now, sjoh197 said:

Shit, with an extra $5000 you could get a decent one of both.

I can also use the money for conferences and buying a computer later, so I don't want to blow the whole 5k up front. I also don't know what I'd do with that much computer.

5 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

I can also use the money for conferences and buying a computer later, so I don't want to blow the whole 5k up front. I also don't know what I'd do with that much computer.

I meant a laptop and a desktop. The desktop will last you for years, and a small laptop to serve as your portable go-to.

But I totally understand the not spending it upfront. Saving is always good.

1 hour ago, pterosaur said:

On the topic of computers: my current laptop is pretty decent (2 year old thinkpad), but my PhD fellowship comes with $5000 I can use to buy a computer. I'm not sure whether I should get a laptop or desktop. I use my laptop as my daily driver, carrying it back and forth and using it for all my lab work, which makes think I should go with a laptop. But you can get a lot more bang for your buck on a desktop. In particular I'm thinking of RAIDed terabyte hard drives to store all my photos, etc. In addition to running most things off of a SSD. But damn, something like the Dell Precision 5510 is so shiny . It's more of a workstation machine than a gaming laptop. I'm not a regular gamer (occasionally games like Portal and the Sims, but unfortunately FPS makes me nauseous pretty quickly). 

I'm with @sjoh197... pay $1.5k or so for a nice desktop, and then maybe $500 for a laptop. For things like Portal and the Sims (two of my faves as well), both would do nicely I think.

On 5/19/2016 at 1:23 PM, Neist said:

....but I really enjoyed The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks....

I just read this and loved it!  I'm really irritated that Oprah is going to do the movie version and intends to play Henrietta.  She really needs to sit her old ass down somewhere :angry:

On 5/19/2016 at 0:25 PM, hippyscientist said:

@Cat_RobuttPrunes are dried plums?!?!?! How have I gone this long without knowing that?!

LOL!  And you are aware that craisins are dried cranberries right?  I had an old coworker try to explain to me that there must be a craisin tree they come from and I was like uhhhh or a marketing department realized kids had no clue what cranberries were and thought it might help to get them thinking along raisin lines.

On May 20, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Danger_Zone said:

Undertale is great! For Halloween I made my boyfriend a Sans mask, he's a big fan of it too. 

I would love to see pictures of this! That's amazing! My brother is like a real-life Sans, down to the bad puns and everything.

@shesanecho Congrats! For the summer, if you can do a combination of getting R&R and reading up on current literature in the field, that may be a winning combination. This will be your last bit of "freedom" for some time.

@MarineBluePsy It's so WEIRD which names get altered with foods. Plums=prunes, grapes=raisins, cucumbers=pickles, bananas=......dried bananas. Why don't bananas get some cool name? Because dried bananas just sound unappetizing, while craisins are like a freakin' party. Can you think of some other food names that get weirded once the food changes?

Edited by Cat_Robutt
Got too excited about craisins.

5 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I would love to see pictures of this! That's amazing! My brother is like a real-life Sans, down to the bad puns and everything.

@shesanecho Congrats! For the summer, if you can do a combination of getting R&R and reading up on current literature in the field, that may be a winning combination. This will be your last bit of "freedom" for some time.

@MarineBluePsy It's so WEIRD which names get altered with foods. Plums=prunes, grapes=raisins, cucumbers=pickles, bananas=......dried bananas. Why don't bananas get some cool name? Because dried bananas just sound unappetizing, while craisins are like a freakin' party. Can you think of some other food names that get weirded once the food changes?

Whoever decided that "cracklins" sounded better than "pig skin fried in fat" was certainly ready to fool all of unsuspecting people new to the south.

Today I learned that craisins are cranberries... I thought they were some sort of hybrid :P Thanks @MarineBluePsy:D

As a side note, I went to the Ithaca farmers' market today and got maple candy and maple cream... I'm already addicted :(

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

4 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

jlvyP2t.jpg

It's not perfect but I was pretty happy with it. :) Though everyone kept calling him Jack Skellington.. One girl knew who he was! We even got him the pink slippers. 

Edited by Danger_Zone
Why am I having so much trouble uploading a pic!

On 5/21/2016 at 8:44 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm with @sjoh197... pay $1.5k or so for a nice desktop, and then maybe $500 for a laptop. For things like Portal and the Sims (two of my faves as well), both would do nicely I think.

YOU LIKE THE SIMS?!?!

I automatically love you.

21 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

YOU LIKE THE SIMS?!?!

I automatically love you.

I LOVE the Sims! I have 1, 2, and 3, but haven't heard great things about 4 so I don't have it. But I'm a proud owner of most expansion packs :D How about yourself?

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Been playing since 2000. Have all the EPs for 1 and 2. Most for 3. Played most of the console games. TS4 is shit. Played a friend's copy a few times. So, so glad I never bought it.

I only play TS3 now. It comes in waves: I'll play nonstop for a few weeks, stop for months, come back to it. On the ninth generation of my family. Longest I've had in TS3. Longest ever was 13 generations.

27 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Been playing since 2000. Have all the EPs for 1 and 2. Most for 3. Played most of the console games. TS4 is shit. Played a friend's copy a few times. So, so glad I never bought it.

I only play TS3 now. It comes in waves: I'll play nonstop for a few weeks, stop for months, come back to it. On the ninth generation of my family. Longest I've had in TS3. Longest ever was 13 generations.

Wow, I wish I had the persistence to play through that many generations! But raising toddlers is just such a pain in the butt that I give up around the 3rd or 4th generation :P 

Honestly I like to stay with Sims 2... not only is it and all of the expansion packs free online through Origin (and I can't find my TS3 CDs hahaha) but there's just one stupid little thing that I hate about TS3... the hotkey to change levels! TS2 was the tab key but TS3 is something slightly more complicated but it's just annoying enough that I don't like to build two-level houses :P

8 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Wow, I wish I had the persistence to play through that many generations! But raising toddlers is just such a pain in the butt that I give up around the 3rd or 4th generation :P 

Honestly I like to stay with Sims 2... not only is it and all of the expansion packs free online through Origin (and I can't find my TS3 CDs hahaha) but there's just one stupid little thing that I hate about TS3... the hotkey to change levels! TS2 was the tab key but TS3 is something slightly more complicated but it's just annoying enough that I don't like to build two-level houses :P

Haha! TS2 has many charms. What keeps me playing TS3 is the story progression and open neighborhood. Went back to TS2 and I just couldn't take the loading screens.

8 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Ahhh, thank you! I am, but my dad is already on my butt to start studying again. I literally only have been home for a week, since graduation. <_<

Ugh.... I forgot how hard it is to try to sell stuff. Lol. 

I have been trying to sell a bunch of stuff... and all I've managed to sell are 3 tarantulas next weekend at repticon. 

Even worse... I've managed to find a lamp and rug that I am going to buy. I'm supposed to be selling... not buying :wacko:

2 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Ugh.... I forgot how hard it is to try to sell stuff. Lol. 

I have been trying to sell a bunch of stuff... and all I've managed to sell are 3 tarantulas next weekend at repticon. 

Even worse... I've managed to find a lamp and rug that I am going to buy. I'm supposed to be selling... not buying :wacko:

I gave up and started to give stuff away. :wacko:

As long as someone will find random thing #3 useful, it's all theirs!