We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

7 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

What desk did you go with? I recently came to the realization that since I have a bit of money saved, I can actually buy something that's not the cheapest version of what I'm looking for. And then I won't have to spend more money in the long run to upgrade it later. So I think I'd spend a bit more to get something solid wood. (With that size desk and the amount of technology I put on top of it, I wouldn't want it to start sagging.) Or, alternatively, if I can actually move stuff come a year from now, I could steal my own desk back from my brother, who took it when he graduated from college. :)

If you go to this page: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11844/ , you can choose a tabletop. I think I got the "Linnmon" for $30. I have an unreasonable amount of stuff that I pile on top of it (monitors, laptops, printers, textbooks...) and the poor thing has stood the test of time. Once you choose a tabletop, you can go to http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11845/ and choose legs. I got the Krille (the wheels with caster), so it's easier to move around in case I want to rearrange... the wheels lock and I've never had a problem with them unlocking.

@pterosaur Your suit is definitely Iron Man levels of awesome. That suit-per cool (gah, that's an awful pun but I couldn't help myself).

@Neist I do hope to keep in touch! This site has sometimes been all that has kept me afloat during this process. I've never made friends online before, but it is very exciting and fun! There's good people here.

And @BooksCoffeeBeards we've been getting rid of most of our things, too! We may have jumped the gun a bit, because we have about two weeks left and don't have a table or chairs...so we've been sitting on the floor cross-legged and hoping for the best! It's been fun for me, getting rid of furniture to see what we deem essential v. things we just have around. My trunk is already loaded up with much of the things we hope to move, so I think it's good so far. Coming from my background, having fewer things that get used often is seen as more sensical than having a whole lot of stuff that gathers dust. My in-laws are hoarders, though, and we're spending June with them and I'm already dreading it.

14 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

We're in exactly the same boat. It's weird trying to get rid of perfectly good stuff, but stuff you don't need to be taking with you. Interior design wise - pinterest is heaven. I browse their home decor section frequently and have boards for different rooms in my new apartment so I can pin things I like. Then, when I look at the board as a whole I can see my tastes, common themes etc. It might work for you, it might not! 

That's a great idea, thanks! I think it would definitely help to have some visuals of what my rooms could look like. I'll definitely do that once I actually have a place. :) 

I jokingly told my mom I was going to video chat her and make her pick out all my stuff (she's a wonderful interior decorator). :P 

I'm so close to signing my lease. I can almost taste it!

I just have a pinterest board for general decorating-- room specific would've been smarter.

Anyone with roommates thinking about how long before they'll want to live alone? I don't think I'll want to until I get to my last 2 years/ dissertation writing.

44 minutes ago, Neist said:

Welp. I graduated formally today. Yay. Afterwards, I went to Red Lobster for the sole purpose of gorging myself on cheddar bay biscuits.

I lead a simple life. :D 

Congratulations!

Also, those cheddar bay biscuits... I would go through a 4-year degree and graduate JUST so I could have some cheddar bay biscuits.

On 5/13/2016 at 9:53 AM, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

I've donated, sold, or handed off SO many items, as well as clothing, during this packing/moving process. It's actually been a big relief since I will have to move mostly major furniture items (a couch, two IKEA book shelves, dining table/chairs, kitchen side table, and 4-drawer dresser), clothing, books, and DVDs.

I thought I was going to be buried in stuff, but it turns out...not so much.

How is everyone else's packing/moving business going? 

I dumped a bunch of stuff via Freecycle which turned out to be much better than Craigslist.  Otherwise I'm not really doing much in terms of packing/moving other than looking at airbnb options.

On 5/13/2016 at 11:28 AM, Neist said:

To my understanding, you can avoid a lot of the laws the smaller the house is (which wouldn't be a huge issue for me). It gets more tricky the bigger a house is.

At least when I did my research a few years back, they aren't technically houses, they are RVs (as far as registering them goes).

So if a tiny house is registered as an RV and is similar in size, then why not just get an RV?  Or why not a mobile home?  I don't get the purpose of creating a new thing when perfectly good options exist.

If anyone's  (@rhombusbombus @Danger_Zone)interested in the pinterest boards mine's https://uk.pinterest.com/francescaelizab/. I pin far too much. Also, rhombusbombus, I did think about roommates, and figured I'd live on my own to start, and would move in with someone only if I felt I needed to (like a friend, partner etc). I'm so lucky that my stipend allows me to afford my rent, my current housemate is doing my head in! 

@Neist congratulations!! I have no idea what cheddar bay biscuits are but they sound delicious

10 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

So if a tiny house is registered as an RV and is similar in size, then why not just get an RV?  Or why not a mobile home?  I don't get the purpose of creating a new thing when perfectly good options exist.

You know, you make a good point. :D I do know that RVs can be far more expensive than one would guess. Airstreams, which admittedly are very expensive, can be 40k for a small 1-person trailer. I've seen people on those tiny house shows build their own tiny house for 5-10k. 

7 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@Neist congratulations!! I have no idea what cheddar bay biscuits are but they sound delicious

picohUpVZ.jpg

Thanks! :)

They are from Red Lobster, though there's recipes to make your own. I'm convinced they are the sole reason for rising obesity. :D 

You should try them when you come over! They are horrible for one's health, but super tasty.

Edited by Neist

13 minutes ago, Neist said:

You know, you make a good point. :D I do know that RVs can be far more expensive than one would guess. Airstreams, which admittedly are very expensive, can be 40k for a small 1-person trailer. I've seen people on those tiny house shows build their own tiny house for 5-10k. 

picohUpVZ.jpg

Thanks! :)

They are from Red Lobster, though there's recipes to make your own. I'm convinced they are the sole reason for rising obesity. :D 

You should try them when you come over! They are horrible for one's health, but super tasty.

Oh wow they look amazing. I'm ill, my allergies are playing up and I have a week to get better before my visa interview and I now want someone to make those for me! They look like they'd be great with a cup of tea! 

Damn you @Neist. My stomach couldn't be stopped - I'm baking these as I type.

Edited by hippyscientist

Finally back in the states...

As far as cheddar biscuits, there's no way they could compete with the whole guinea pig, alpaca steak, and beef heart on a stick I had this last week.

53 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Finally back in the states...

As far as cheddar biscuits, there's no way they could compete with the whole guinea pig, alpaca steak, and beef heart on a stick I had this last week.

Welcome back! :) 

As per cheddar biscuits, I bet those meals would have been made better if you ate them with cheddar bay biscuits. Mmmm. 

@hippyscientist Red Lobster is only good for their cheddar biscuits. The rest of their food is crap (cheap seafood). The biscuits are free and unlimited, so order an appetizer and feel the freedom flow through your arteries as you succumb to our obesity rates.

@sjoh197 Guinea pig, alpaca steak, and beef heart on a stick? Please explain.

Edited by janetjanejune

21 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

@sjoh197 Guinea pig, alpaca steak, and beef heart on a stick? Please explain.

Customary dishes in Cusco Peru. Gotta try them while you're there. I'll post some pics later when I'm not at an airport anymore.

They sound like bucket list experiences! I had two Peruvian friends who would visit every year. They raved over two dishes called Coca-Cola chicken and green chicken. Did you try any of that over there?

5 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

They sound like bucket list experiences! I had two Peruvian friends who would visit every year. They raved over two dishes called Coca-Cola chicken and green chicken. Did you try any of that over there?

Nope, they must have been customary to a different region.

Although I did learn that cola means "line" and coca is the coca plant from which cocaine alkaline is derived from. (We drank a metric shit ton of coca tea in Cusco).

So Coca-Cola is literally referring to a coke line.

2 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Nope, they must have been customary to a different region.

Although I did learn that cola means "line" and coca is the coca plant from which cocaine alkaline is derived from. (We drank a metric shit ton of coca tea in Cusco).

So Coca-Cola is literally referring to a coke line.

:mellow:

Well, they told me the chicken is just marinated in soda. Maybe the other reason is why they love it so much.

7 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

:mellow:

Well, they told me the chicken is just marinated in soda. Maybe the other reason is why they love it so much.

Lol... Coca cola now is just soda... But it did use to contain trace amounts of cocaine.

5 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

So I don't know how I feel about New York... it's snowing...

Awww. Before you know it you'll love it. :P Hopefully.

I just had my first winter without snow. (Dammit, London!) I did hike to the top of a snow-capped mountain in Scotland, but I don't feel like that counts. Last winter in Boston (with the 6 feet of snow) was great. So I miss my snow. It's like a drug.

I just figured out how to put a Google Drive folder on my desktop to make backing up my files easier.  Now of course I just feel like deleting a bunch of stuff like a late spring cleaning lol.