We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

36 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

just got my first TA assignment! it's for spring 2017 and the class looks pretty interesting!

Ugh, doctor stuff. I need to get an allergy test, and a teeth cleaning. I just got my full eye exam a few weeks ago. I think the Penn State insurance is a little better than the one i'm on now so maybe i'll wait. And I have no idea if I have a dental plan right now. Guess August it is! 

Yay! That's so exciting!! Things are starting to happen :D

1 hour ago, savay said:

Yes -- all of the doctor's appointments, practically drowning in them. I'm moving the first week of June so it's a f*cking spastic rush of seeing people and places I love and trust. I'm hoping I still get to enjoy it. I do not have an actual free day with no appointments or people or meetings until the 21st of this month. THE 21ST! and by then I'll be trying to finish packing. (and I still have work until the 27th)

Yeah... should've done that. I move tomorrow. I briefly thought about getting in an orthodontist/doctor/eye/allergy/dentist/hair appointment, but then decided that as long as I can smile/live/see/breathe/chew/shampoo then I'll be okay until August :)

@hippyscientist - you're going to get to experience the joys of American health insurance instead of the joys of the NHS! They've both got their issues. (But from my experience, university health plans are usually a pretty sweet deal. By American standards. 8 months in in the UK and still haven't needed first hand experience with the NHS, thankfully.)

18 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

@hippyscientist - you're going to get to experience the joys of American health insurance instead of the joys of the NHS! They've both got their issues. (But from my experience, university health plans are usually a pretty sweet deal. By American standards. 8 months in in the UK and still haven't needed first hand experience with the NHS, thankfully.)

yep neither system is perfect, but each has their benefits. I had to go to the doctors today to pick up a prescription for some allergy medication. I waited for 50 minutes at my GPs, to see my GP for 2 minutes, to then wait in line at the pharmacy for 10 minutes to hand my prescription in to be told I'll have to come back tomorrow to pay them ~$30 for the pleasure of having my eyes open for the next 2 months. It always makes me grumpy! Yes I know this isn't a bad case, but it was my experience today and it still pee'ed me off because I have to go back to the drs tomorrow for an appointment with the nurse for a different repeat prescription. Why they couldn't do it all in one appointment is beyond me.

20 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Paris from Gilmore Girls was hilarious!  I was kinda hoping her being Bonnie on How To Get Away With Murder would have a hint of Paris, but not so far.

My pard just introduced me to this show! I keep hoping Paris and Rory will become friends!

4 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

just got my first TA assignment! it's for spring 2017 and the class looks pretty interesting!

Ugh, doctor stuff. I need to get an allergy test, and a teeth cleaning. I just got my full eye exam a few weeks ago. I think the Penn State insurance is a little better than the one i'm on now so maybe i'll wait. And I have no idea if I have a dental plan right now. Guess August it is! 

For you and @hippyscientist Penn State's insurance is heavily subsidized (80%) and is the equivalent of a "gold" plan; it's a PPO through Aetna and many services are low-cost or free if done on campus. In addition, vision and dental are a small addition, and you can add on family members as dependents for not too much more. It is a really fantastic deal!  

@Cat_Robutt I had to get the figures for my excel budget sheet and am just now realizing what a deal this health insurance is. I'm so excited for my 2 professional cleanings a year! I wish the age limits for 100% teeth sealants wasn't 16 bc I could use that.

Either way, I'm gonna use this health insurance UP! I'll be so up to date on everything and healthy. CHIROPRACTOR! That's amazing! such posture. so aligned.

3 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Cat_Robutt I had to get the figures for my excel budget sheet and am just now realizing what a deal this health insurance is. I'm so excited for my 2 professional cleanings a year! I wish the age limits for 100% teeth sealants wasn't 16 bc I could use that.

Either way, I'm gonna use this health insurance UP! I'll be so up to date on everything and healthy. CHIROPRACTOR! That's amazing! such posture. so aligned.

I'm looking into a chiropractor as soon as I get into the US, it sounds like they can be pretty cheap with decent health insurance. It isn't something covered under OHIP (Ontario health insurance). I'm also excited to (hopefully) get some kind of dental and prescription drug coverage. I've been without these for a year since graduating (and haven't been working, either) so even getting cleanings at the dentist has been pretty expensive (my university's health insurance wasn't great or anything, but it was definitely better than nothing.)

20 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah... should've done that. I move tomorrow. I briefly thought about getting in an orthodontist/doctor/eye/allergy/dentist/hair appointment, but then decided that as long as I can smile/live/see/breathe/chew/shampoo then I'll be okay until August :)

It took me a few years to find doctors that I really liked. And now, I really like them. When I realized that my biggest anxiety about leaving was leaving my healthcare providers that I maybe see once a year, I felt very adult. Like, uncomfortably. And then I realized, this is why people never move. 

All this talk of healthcare has made me start to think about how I'm going to lose my doctor now. He's the first doctor I've ever trusted and who has actually helped me instead of basically making my life and health worse and not taking my concerns seriously. You don't realize how many things you're actually leaving behind when you move away. I'll just hope I don't need to see a doctor too often anyway!

Edited by Danger_Zone

8 hours ago, Neist said:

Welp, I took the last test of my undergrad. There's nothing betwixt (just because I can use it) me and graduate school now!

Now begins the task of preparation.

It always feels awesome to be finished with your last exam! It feels a bit surreal to be completely done with a place you have spent so many years at. But it also means you get to start a new chapter in your life. :)

2 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

It always feels awesome to be finished with your last exam! It feels a bit surreal to be completely done with a place you have spent so many years at. But it also means you get to start a new chapter in your life. :)

Yup, I'm pretty excited. :) 

It also means I'll have more time for reading. Because I work full time, my reading time is limited. I know I'll be reading a ton for school, but I like the sort of reading I'll be doing, so it's win/win, really.

Just now, Neist said:

Yup, I'm pretty excited. :) 

It also means I'll have more time for reading. Because I work full time, my reading time is limited. I know I'll be reading a ton for school, but I like the sort of reading I'll be doing, so it's win/win, really.

Definitely, it's always great to have more time for reading. During undergrad, I rarely ever felt like reading for fun (although a lot of what I read for school was pretty fun, honestly). I'm eager to start my readings for class, though. I've already signed up for classes and they sound super interesting! My boyfriend can't seem to understand why I am so excited to go back to school, so I am glad I can share my excitement here. :P 

I've only had my current doctor for a year since we changed insurances so I'm not incredibly attached. 

I was SICK when I had to leave my previous gynecologist though. Right when you get comfortable with one person all in your business you have to switch it up.

----

Just started signing up for some classes and I've confused myself. HOW did I get into grad school?

At a large cusco market today with whole pigs, cow faces, pig and chicken feet, and my favorite...

A scarf that consisted of an entire taxidermied baby alpaca.

it was the most disturbing thing I think I've ever seen.

@Need Coffee in an IV woohoo! Congrats. Yay to everyone who's graduating soon :) 

My research is finally getting somewhere, and my advisor was pretty complimentary about the work the other day. I'm relieved because at one point this week I thought it wouldn;'t be going anywhere for quite some time.

I've just realised the classes I'm taking in the fall really aren't too thrilling. In fact I think content wise, they're about the most snooze-worthy possible! But the offers for my area are really slim for the fall semester and apparently the fun content comes later. I hope so because there's lots of classes I want to take from the course catalogue but none are there for Fall 2016. Agh! 

@hippyscientist I'll be careful about course offerings, my boyfriend didn't find out the classes he wanted to take weren't even offer anymore! Plus the research being the exact opposite of what he wanted to do. And thanks for the congrats! I escaped with no sun burn, unfortunately, my boyfriend wasn't as lucky :-P. It went as smoothly as it could possibly go and my family is already gone. So now I'm taking a day to do nothing. Then I'll resume packing up.

16 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I GRADUATED!! Now I just want to take a nap. So far I have a C and an A, waiting for my last two classes. I'm expecting As in those. I'm freeeee. Until August haha

Congrats! :D 

I just got my final grades back from Spanish. Ugh. I got a B. Oh well. Spanish courses at my university are structured in such a way where it's almost nigh-impossible to get an A in them.

18 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I GRADUATED!! Now I just want to take a nap. So far I have a C and an A, waiting for my last two classes. I'm expecting As in those. I'm freeeee. Until August haha

Congrats!! Enjoy your freedom. :P

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist Thanks, yeah my C was in physics so im not complaining. Sorry about the B, too bad that a B isnt seen as good enough anymore. @Danger_Zone Thanks, unfortunately my new sunburn will keep me company :D

It's all good! I wasn't expecting an A, to be honest. The point breakdown for the course is constructed in such a way that even though I received a 85-95% on the vast majority of my work, and 100% on my homework (which is 10% of the total grade), I still only managed a mid-high B. Nutty, right? If I managed a B average, you'd think the homework would carry me to an A, but nope.

I don't really care at this point as I've already been accepted into a program with full funding, and they don't care if I get a B in a foreign language. I've gotten straight A's in every class over the last three years except for Spanish. My major GPA is something like a 3.98.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

It's all good! I wasn't expecting an A, to be honest. The point breakdown for the course is constructed in such a way that even though I received a 85-95% on the vast majority of my work, and 100% on my homework (which is 10% of the total grade), I still only managed a mid-high B. Nutty, right? If I managed a B average, you'd think the homework would carry me to an A, but nope.

I don't really care at this point as I've already been accepted into a program with full funding, and they don't care if I get a B in a foreign language. I've gotten straight A's in every class over the last three years except for Spanish. My major GPA is something like a 3.98.

That's an impressive major GPA! I would not be concerned about a B either if I was doing very well otherwise. :)