We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

Ever own a Gund brand stuffed animal? As the parent of a three year old, I can attest their snuggliness.

Also, looking at their website, they sell these. I need these for my daughter. :D 

I've never heard of them before...but I can see mid-PhD breakdown purchases already. I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you for the link because I want!!! 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny That just looks awesome and is totally necessary for daily survival. They all look so squishy and hug-able! 

Reading all the posts from yesterday is like another reminder of the weird internet kinship I feel with y'all...when it comes to human-human interaction, I'm a natural introvert who was forced into being an extravert by a super extraverted parent. So I can interact with people and ask the right questions, but I would still much rather listen than talk. I still suck at phone calls, and have a handful of very close, and extremely loyal, friends. If I'm your friend, I'm your friend for life--I'll bring you food when you're sick, FaceTime you when you're down, and be threatening to people treating you poorly. But I'm also the kind of person who offers solutions when someone presents me with a problem, so people who kvetch a lot dislike me because complaining over and over without doing anything about it doesn't make sense to me.

With plushies, my pard and I have matching red panda ones we got when we were living on opposite ends of the country. Whenever we would FaceTime or Skype, the pandas would have to say hello to each other too. :P

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I think I just realized why moving tomorrow is going to be such a pain... everything I own is HIGHLY NECESSARY FOR MY EVERYDAY EXISTENCE, RIGHT?! Especially my couch full of stuffed animals (and soda cans), RIGHT?!

13139155_10209854385501767_7833969638118

I'll trade you my useless diploma for that stuffed sheep.

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@sjoh197 The stuffed sheep is definitely my favorite! Two of my best friends got him for me out of the blue one day.

My daughter had a stuffed sheep that looked a lot like that... But it only had 1 ear. It came that way, from the store.

We called it Vincent van Goat

5 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

My daughter had a stuffed sheep that looked a lot like that... But it only had 1 ear. It came that way, from the store.

if that isn't the BEST THING EVER I don't know what is.

25 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

That's great! :D 

I'm not sure about anyone else, but today has been rough! I'm bringing out the good mezcal.

Maybe I should start a "What are you drinking?" thread. That's not against the rules, is it?

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm not sure about anyone else, but today has been rough! I'm bringing out the good mezcal.

Maybe I should start a "What are you drinking?" thread. That's not against the rules, is it?

On the contrary, the title of this thread is kind of assuming :)

5 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Sigh... I just said good-bye to my professors and left campus for the last time... I should be packing, but instead I'm just going to sob in a corner for the rest of the night.

Maybe you should get a good bottle of mezcal, too. :) 

15 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

You know what? Those methods may work for her. We're all different! We all make friends differently. For me, I have about 3-4 close friends, and even they are a struggle at times. I like being a hermit. It's not detrimental to my health - I get social interaction at work and through sport. But I need space. I don't like people either and the ones I like tend to fit in with my outlook, specific interests etc. I get diversity in interactions with others, but they're not friends. 

Who cares? There's only an issue if YOU feel there's an issue. Screw what someone else says, even if they've done research on the topic, they haven't done research with you. So whatever. Do what works for you :) (as long as it's not hurting anyone that is)

I think this is exactly why it bugs me.  I don't like being a hermit and feel like I'm doing a ton to avoid that.  I'm always going to new places and chatting up strangers, but sometimes I wonder how close I am to being that person that won't let the mailperson leave.

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

If there were a support group, I'd join the hell out of it, because I'm the exact same way. I don't HATE most people, I just find 99% of them annoying. It's the reason why I will be paying significantly more in living expenses just to live by myself, and why after 4 years at undergrad I barely have reached more than "casual acquaintance" status with anyone. And yes, I thought the same thing when watching Her.

Yeah I have plenty of acquaintances and I did try to convert some of them into friends by extending invitations once in awhile.  They were always busy so I gave up.

10 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

I managed to find someone else who doesn't like people, and now we sit and dislike people together. 

This reminds me of that new show on hulu Difficult People.  Hilarious!

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I second what @sjoh197 - the only person I was ever able to stand for long periods of time was my boyfriend (now ex). I could spend hours with him without being all like "Can I go hoooome nooowwwww?!?!" You'll find that too one day (whether in an S/O or a friend). I especially think that in graduate school it will be more likely - at least I'm hoping! Plus, college girls are such a wild crazy bunch, and LOUD.

I have tended to be like that with SOs, but too much time together in a relationship (especially early on) isn't good.  I also think its easier to be a couple and make couple friends.

10 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Totally claiming the suggestion :D. I don't have many friends and I think thats common for a lot of people. I think it helps that emotional engagment wears me out so I don't get stressed out by my social life. I have 2 best friends from grade school, a couple from undergrad, and maybe future ones from grad school? I feel like paris from gilmore girls and larry david and i would be a perfect trio :-P

Paris from Gilmore Girls was hilarious!  I was kinda hoping her being Bonnie on How To Get Away With Murder would have a hint of Paris, but not so far.

7 hours ago, Neist said:

Yesterday was awful! My friend who was staying left, I dislocated a bone in my foot, my kindle broke, my phone broke, my chicken was tough and disgusting and to top it all off I had no wine in the house. So far today is going slightly better.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny thankfully, dental isn't too expensive here so I'm having a check up before I leave. Hopefully that gives me time to figure out the US system before I need to use it!

Just now, hippyscientist said:

Yesterday was awful! My friend who was staying left, I dislocated a bone in my foot, my kindle broke, my phone broke, my chicken was tough and disgusting and to top it all off I had no wine in the house. So far today is going slightly better.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny thankfully, dental isn't too expensive here so I'm having a check up before I leave. Hopefully that gives me time to figure out the US system before I need to use it!

Man, sounds like you need to give that day another try...

I'm curious, how much is "not too expensive"? Here a checkup would run you at least $100, which isn't so bad, but I need a root canal so I'd be looking at about ten times that...

29 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Man, sounds like you need to give that day another try...

I'm curious, how much is "not too expensive"? Here a checkup would run you at least $100, which isn't so bad, but I need a root canal so I'd be looking at about ten times that...

Check up for me is £10. I will have a hygienist appointment too so total cost is ~ £50. Like it's not cheap, but it is in comparison to the US. I wouldn't know the cost of procedures like root canals as I had all my major dental work (Orthodonture, mouth surgery etc) done on the NHS so we didn't pay a thing. 

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Man, why wasn't I born in the UK :P That's not fair!!

Everyone loves to bitch about the NHS, and it's certainly not perfect, but I think we can forget just how awesome a service it is. I'm always grateful for ti when I come back from living abroad. 

8 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Everyone loves to bitch about the NHS, and it's certainly not perfect, but I think we can forget just how awesome a service it is. I'm always grateful for ti when I come back from living abroad. 

You mean you don't enjoy the thought of an ambulance ride making you bankrupt? :P

Do you ever just have those weeks where nothing works? I've tried and failed to crack on with my research today and it's because my routine is all shaken up this week. I'm trying to find productive stuff to get on with but it's just not working. Frustrated just doesn't begin to cut it.

So, I'm studying for the final test of my undergrad. It's for a Spanish class, and it's tonight. 

It's taken me 14 years to complete my undergrad (the last 10 of which were while working full-time), and I've completed ~210 hours over the course of those years. That's a 7.5 credit hours a semester average.

Weird feeling.

just got my first TA assignment! it's for spring 2017 and the class looks pretty interesting!

Ugh, doctor stuff. I need to get an allergy test, and a teeth cleaning. I just got my full eye exam a few weeks ago. I think the Penn State insurance is a little better than the one i'm on now so maybe i'll wait. And I have no idea if I have a dental plan right now. Guess August it is! 

Edited by rhombusbombus

Yes -- all of the doctor's appointments, practically drowning in them. I'm moving the first week of June so it's a f*cking spastic rush of seeing people and places I love and trust. I'm hoping I still get to enjoy it. I do not have an actual free day with no appointments or people or meetings until the 21st of this month. THE 21ST! and by then I'll be trying to finish packing. (and I still have work until the 27th)

I am also a hermit who enjoys people one on one, and has very intense friendships -- but really find people at large to be...a little bit much. I somehow have not started worrying about building new friend groups yet, but I think I'm also really familiar with having friends live very far away. I'm more stressed about finding a new therapist that I like and won't judge me...