We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

I gave up and started to give stuff away. :wacko:

As long as someone will find random thing #3 useful, it's all theirs!

I started giving away some stuff, specifically to family or friends who might need it. But some of the stuff was expensive, like north face gear, and glass terrariums. I'd hate to give away stuff that I know are worth something. 

The worst are the tarantulas. That trade is mostly done through shipping. It's really hard to sell local. 

18 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I started giving away some stuff, specifically to family or friends who might need it. But some of the stuff was expensive, like north face gear, and glass terrariums. I'd hate to give away stuff that I know are worth something. 

The worst are the tarantulas. That trade is mostly done through shipping. It's really hard to sell local. 

Hm.. That is somewhat difficult. :( There are a couple backpacking websites I frequent that has fairly active gear selling forums. Send me a PM if you're interested in the web addresses!

In other news, this weekend I scanned every single old, meaningful class material that I've saved. It's pretty interesting looking back at a syllabus for a course that I took 11 years ago (been in college a while now). It took hours, but now I've archived everything that I still have. I've lost some things, but it's good to have it available, I think.

#Productivity

1 hour ago, Neist said:

In other news, this weekend I scanned every single old, meaningful class material that I've saved. It's pretty interesting looking back at a syllabus for a course that I took 11 years ago (been in college a while now). It took hours, but now I've archived everything that I still have. I've lost some things, but it's good to have it available, I think.

#Productivity

I've been thinking about doing this, so that I don't have to carry milk crates of loose papers to State College...the thought of getting rid of all of my old notes makes me unspeakably anxious. For some reason, I'm far more ruthless about getting rid of old files on my laptop than I am about clearing out my actual physical stuff. Trying to change that so moving isn't the nightmare I expect it to be...ugh. I am torn between wanting to throw away everything I own and trying to hold onto Philadelphia by buying everything I see in the city. 

7 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

I've been thinking about doing this, so that I don't have to carry milk crates of loose papers to State College...the thought of getting rid of all of my old notes makes me unspeakably anxious. For some reason, I'm far more ruthless about getting rid of old files on my laptop than I am about clearing out my actual physical stuff. Trying to change that so moving isn't the nightmare I expect it to be...ugh. I am torn between wanting to throw away everything I own and trying to hold onto Philadelphia by buying everything I see in the city. 

I opted out scanning old notes or heavily annotated journal articles. I figure that if I needed to revisit the articles, it's best to visit them with fresh eyes.

I kept all syllabi, handouts, and annotated/marked papers. All course readings I recycled because I can relocate them via the syllabi if necessary. And I've kept all of my computer files. It's far too easy to just dump them in cloud storage. Sorting them by class certainly took a while, but that was only for the sake of my own sanity. I'm a little bit OCD.

Edited by Neist

18 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Whoever decided that "cracklins" sounded better than "pig skin fried in fat" was certainly ready to fool all of unsuspecting people new to the south.

Bwahahaha I still remember eating these as a tiny southerner and my out-of-town aunt asking me what they were, followed by silence, then crunching.

14 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

jlvyP2t.jpg

It's not perfect but I was pretty happy with it. :) Though everyone kept calling him Jack Skellington.. One girl knew who he was! We even got him the pink slippers. 

This is amazing!!! If you ever thought about selling these/taking commissions, I would totally buy one from you.

25 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

YOU GUYS I GOT MY VISA!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

YAY!!!!! That's fantastic news!

@janetjanejune. Hello, fellow Simmer. I'm on TS3. I normally use Linux, which reduces the temptation to play since I have to reboot into Windows for it. I play less than I used to since I program a lot as a hobby now. I tend to spend more time designing and building houses than playing out extended games. I honestly don't think I've had a family go more than like 3 generations. And I generally habe one "main" family I play in each neighborhood. I don't like giving up control of Sims I care about. Most recently I've been playing multiple generations with a family where 6 of the members are confined to a solarium and spend their entire lives painting to earn money for the other 2.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny. - what shortcuts are you referring to for tab? Changing floors? I always used page up and page down.

Are we talking about Sims in here now?! I don't want to think about how many hours I have put into the franchise as a whole! 

I wish TS4 held my interest for longer... I may have to wait for more expansion packs to be released before I attempt it again. TS2 and TS3 still entertain me enough, but I'm also tempted to reinstall TS1 for nostalgia's sake.

6 hours ago, pterosaur said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny. - what shortcuts are you referring to for tab? Changing floors? I always used page up and page down.

Yeah, when I play I have one hand on the "~", "1", "2", and "3" keys to fast forward time. Moving my hand to the other end of the keyboard is just annoying :P

I actually hate building and designing in The Sims. Haha! When she used to play, my sister would design my houses and rooms for me. 

Not holding my breath over TS4. They screwed up big time with the advertisement and production of the base game.

37 minutes ago, janetjanejune said:

I actually hate building and designing in The Sims. Haha! When she used to play, my sister would design my houses and rooms for me. 

Not holding my breath over TS4. They screwed up big time with the advertisement and production of the base game.

Whaaat? I loooved designing houses. That's part of the reason I could never stick with a generation for too long - I kept getting distracted by housing ideas.

Then again, all of my houses looked exactly the same. And then I'd look at a premade house and be depressed by how great they looked :P

@janetjanejune how can you say that?! Building the houses and designing the sims is my favourite part of that game. Once I'd built a house I'd make sure it was liveable by playing it and the family for about an hour and then I'd move on and design the next one. It's no wonder I want to do property flipping! 

Also thank you guys for the congratulations, it's finally finally finally official.

Edited by hippyscientist

7 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

i'm excited to start grad school but now i'm looking at the cost of everything...moving is so damn expensive!

Everything is expensive. (I say as I just had to spend $70 on a bra)

@hippyscientist I should be more interested in building and design since I love fashion, but nej. Even in real life, interior design falls to the wayside. Planning to get better once I land a full-time position.

Moving is expensive. Moving cross-country is an investment. Currently looking into shipping my car. Oh boy.

47 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

i'm excited to start grad school but now i'm looking at the cost of everything...moving is so damn expensive!

Ugh. Don't. I'm getting my flights as my birthday present thankfully but everything else is still horrific. Car rental, excess baggage fees, start up costs etc. I was looking at how much it'll be to set me up with spices and seasoning and store cupboard items. My budget is looking very scary right now.

@sjoh197 that's reasonable for a good bra! I've just gone through a major body recomp so none of my bras work properly - I am actually living in sports bras as they are the only ones that fit. Trying to put off buying new ones until moving because they're so awkward to pack. Sometimes I'm envious of the itty bitty titty committee because bras aren't a life-saving necessity.

Just now, hippyscientist said:

@sjoh197 that's reasonable for a good bra! I've just gone through a major body recomp so none of my bras work properly - I am actually living in sports bras as they are the only ones that fit. Trying to put off buying new ones until moving because they're so awkward to pack. Sometimes I'm envious of the itty bitty titty committee because bras aren't a life-saving necessity.

I know... I've come to mildly resent smaller chested women. 

The $70 bra was one of the cheapest "nice brand" ones I could find. I just didn't have the $100 to shell out for a really nice one. But once you hit the 32F mark... you can't really go to walmart or victoria secret and get a $30 bra. :lol:

As a trans woman who's in the beginning stages of transitioning, I really resent the idea of bras. Like, I've always had prominent nipples but now I have to pay extra for a piece of restrictive fabric because I'm presenting differently now? :lol:

Just now, janetjanejune said:

As a trans woman who's in the beginning stages of transitioning, I really resent the idea of bras. Like, I've always had prominent nipples but now I have to pay extra for a piece of restrictive fabric because I'm presenting differently now? :lol:

Nope... let your nipples run free. Unless you transition into a DD+ and then it will be less about presentation and more about jugs flopping in the way of everything. 

oh, boob flopping! One of my favorite bras has recently betrayed me. I'm NOT looking forward to replacing it.

I have a spreadsheet of all the stuff I'll need to get before the school year starts and I'm so anxious about being in the red for a few months before my fellowship kicks in really well.

4 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

oh, boob flopping! One of my favorite bras has recently betrayed me. I'm NOT looking forward to replacing it.

I have a spreadsheet of all the stuff I'll need to get before the school year starts and I'm so anxious about being in the red for a few months before my fellowship kicks in really well.

yup...we get a bonus on the first day of orientation which is great, but i still think that won't cover the amount of money being spent to relocate. so i'm still slightly freaking out..