We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

I've moved from heavy foundation to the bareminerals complexion rescue tinted gel. Very lightweight and has spf 30! They've just added some new shades so color matching should be easier!

I have a junk ton of lipsticks but lean more toward nudes. My fave is Maybelline's Maple Kiss from the Color Sensation The Buffs line. 

I used to be into colorful eyeshadow but now I stick to a nice sharp wing.

This is so fun!

17 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I don't know how you all manage to dress so nicely! Are you going to sort of dress up while a student, or no?

I've definitely gone through bad fashion phases and now in my 30s I'm finally hitting a groove.  I'm much better at dressing for my shape and the occasion and in social situations prefer to be closer to dressed up than not.  Why?  I like the attention.  I never tire of men (or women) telling me I look fabulous.  Plus dressing up when you're single and looking is an absolute must if you want to attract better quality men.  

I don't think I'll be dressed up for classes, but I am pondering options other than jeans and a top.  I haven't been able to find flattering jeans in the last 10 years and skirts adapt better to the weather anyway.  But if I'm doing a lot of walking I want good walking shoes and prefer socks so my feet aren't sweaty.  See?  Lots of things to consider while I figure it out.

I don't know how you all manage to dress so nicely! Are you going to sort of dress up while a student, or no?

yeah. i cut my hair super short after my freshman year of college (i went natural and cut all of my relaxed hair off into maybe 1-2 inches of curliness) and since then kinda always presented super feminine. i mean...i love it. i'm a big fan of dresses/tunics + leggings combos cause they're comfy and cute! i also really enjoy makeup..i grew up with my aunt who has drawers and drawers of eyeshadows, lipsticks, perfumes etc and that kind of rubbed off on me. so makeup is an everyday thing for me..takes me about 45 minutes to shower and get ready in the mornings, but at the end of the whole process i feel great.

59 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I've moved from heavy foundation to the bareminerals complexion rescue tinted gel. Very lightweight and has spf 30! They've just added some new shades so color matching should be easier!

I have a junk ton of lipsticks but lean more toward nudes. My fave is Maybelline's Maple Kiss from the Color Sensation The Buffs line. 

I used to be into colorful eyeshadow but now I stick to a nice sharp wing.

This is so fun!

how's the coverage on the bareminerals gel? i use the tarte amazonian clay powder foundation and i like it and all, but my skin is weird and dry and powder + dry skin is no bueno. 

28 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@rhombusbombus I've never tried to make a wing, I'm pretty sure I would end up looking like the crow :D

i'm sure you'd look great! there's super easy tutorials for winged liner everywhere now. it's one of my favorite looks tbh.

Just now, Effloresce said:

how's the coverage on the bareminerals gel? i use the tarte amazonian clay powder foundation and i like it and all, but my skin is weird and dry and powder + dry skin is no bueno. 

i'm sure you'd look great! there's super easy tutorials for winged liner everywhere now. it's one of my favorite looks tbh.

Thanks! I have really sensitive eyes, so I can't wear much eye makeup. I'm super jealous of people who can!

20 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

I don't like it when people try to touch my hair. Or tell me to donate it?

And honestly... The more conservative clothing hasn't changed anything other my own feelings about myself. We could all probably walk around in potato sacks and get bothered lol.

People are creepy! And yes, it shouldn't matter what you wear, how you look, or how you present yourself––no one has the right to harass you! Nobody. It sucks that we live in a culture where it's viewed as okay to comment on others' bodies as if they were in the public sphere. Part of my research interests are how women's bodies especially are viewed as public space for public consumption as women are viewed as 'lesser.' I'm sorry this happens to you :(

On the flip side, I wear super conservative clothing (below-knee length skirts/collared shirts/masculine slacks) and still get eval comments like "red lipstick distracting" or "should wear different clothes." I've also gotten strangers call me "matron," "bull dyke," and "bitch," so no matter how you look or present the patriarchy is gonna do its thing.

Thrift stores!!! And having fewer clothing items that can all match with each other. I have never had many clothes, especially when younger, but always made sure they were clean and pressed and that they all matched. I wear a lot of blacks and whites––black jeans can be paired with a collared shirt for a New Mexico Fancy look; the same jeans can be paired with a t-shirt for casual errands. I like dressing formally as I'm fat, and the stigma associated with that means if I wear clothes that are too casual people will perceive me as slovenly. Darn stereotypes!

5 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Thanks! I have really sensitive eyes, so I can't wear much eye makeup. I'm super jealous of people who can!

Do you eyes ever start to water and get all raccoon-y when you wear weird makeup? Mine do and I've no clue how to help that!

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

Do you eyes ever start to water and get all raccoon-y when you wear weird makeup? Mine do and I've no clue how to help that!

I have glaucoma so I have to be super careful with my eye makeup. I have gotten awful styes in the past. So maybe i can help you? Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lash extending treatment mascara is perfect. I've never felt it burn or cause me watery eyes.

@Need Coffee in an IV Ahhhhh thanks! I um.... sometimes I whack myself with mascara tubes and it's NOT PRETTY hahaha.

Thanks y'all for your makeup advice! I wear lotions and have a skincare routine, but tend to get really messy with makeup. Like a little kid going through Mom's makeup drawer messy. Trying some of these products out should help!

@Cat_Robutt I'm extremely clumsy and I think its even Lucy from I Love Lucy proof! And I know of makeup struggles. i suffered from makeup lines, my foundation was always a bit off from my jaw. Plus I practiced from my moms makeup and shes 3 shades darker than I am.

9 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

People are creepy! And yes, it shouldn't matter what you wear, how you look, or how you present yourself––no one has the right to harass you! Nobody. It sucks that we live in a culture where it's viewed as okay to comment on others' bodies as if they were in the public sphere. Part of my research interests are how women's bodies especially are viewed as public space for public consumption as women are viewed as 'lesser.' I'm sorry this happens to you :(

On the flip side, I wear super conservative clothing (below-knee length skirts/collared shirts/masculine slacks) and still get eval comments like "red lipstick distracting" or "should wear different clothes." I've also gotten strangers call me "matron," "bull dyke," and "bitch," so no matter how you look or present the patriarchy is gonna do its thing.

Thrift stores!!! And having fewer clothing items that can all match with each other. I have never had many clothes, especially when younger, but always made sure they were clean and pressed and that they all matched. I wear a lot of blacks and whites––black jeans can be paired with a collared shirt for a New Mexico Fancy look; the same jeans can be paired with a t-shirt for casual errands. I like dressing formally as I'm fat, and the stigma associated with that means if I wear clothes that are too casual people will perceive me as slovenly. Darn stereotypes!

see, i've not gone thrifting much..i think it's because i'm really impatient when it comes to shopping and super unwavering in terms of what things i like to wear. also doesn't help that i'm chubby and busty and hate trying clothes on. :P

but yeah, not to go on a rant but ugh...i hate how much body-shaming and sexualization of people's bodies is deemed as acceptable in our society. i saw a graphic the other day on an fb page i follow saying something along the lines of "it's getting hotter and people can dress the way they want to feel cool, and you aren't allowed to sexualize or shame them for it" and the amount of shamey comments were revolting! 

also catcalling makes me so uncomfortable. also men just expressing interest and not taking 'no' for an answer even after i tell them i'm gay. it's so frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

see, i've not gone thrifting much..i think it's because i'm really impatient when it comes to shopping and super unwavering in terms of what things i like to wear. also doesn't help that i'm chubby and busty and hate trying clothes on. :P

but yeah, not to go on a rant but ugh...i hate how much body-shaming and sexualization of people's bodies is deemed as acceptable in our society. i saw a graphic the other day on an fb page i follow saying something along the lines of "it's getting hotter and people can dress the way they want to feel cool, and you aren't allowed to sexualize or shame them for it" and the amount of shamey comments were revolting! 

also catcalling makes me so uncomfortable. also men just expressing interest and not taking 'no' for an answer even after i tell them i'm gay. it's so frustrating.

See I feel lucky because I've never had anyone cat call me or they left me alone after I said no thanks. But it also makes me feel sad because this shouldn't even be happening in the first place! I never thrift shopped for clothes before, they weren't around where I grew up. I usually just hit a mall when sales become available.

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

See I feel lucky because I've never had anyone cat call me or they left me alone after I said no thanks. But it also makes me feel sad because this shouldn't even be happening in the first place! I never thrift shopped for clothes before, they weren't around where I grew up. I usually just hit a mall when sales become available.

yeah..it sucks that a lot of women have to resort to lying as well just to get men to leave em alone. i always have to hype myself up before the mall. i've always been a huge fan of online shopping though.

@Effloresce If you like wearing femme clothing, the website eShakti designs custom-fit clothing and it isn't really that expensive considering they pay their workers well and tailor your clothes for you. Also, they seem to always have sales!

And yes...catcalling and its opposite of public shaming are both horrid. 

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

@Effloresce If you like wearing femme clothing, the website eShakti designs custom-fit clothing and it isn't really that expensive considering they pay their workers well and tailor your clothes for you. Also, they seem to always have sales!

And yes...catcalling and its opposite of public shaming are both horrid. 

oooh, i'm a dress fiend so i'll definitely look into eShakti! thanks for the suggestion. :) 

3 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@Effloresce Do you have favorite online retailers? With the whole Florida thing....we're going to the beach and um...I don't actually own any swimwear.

ASOS, H&M, and F21+ have become some of my favorites. Also RebDolls and the occasional Old Navy purchase!

Swimsuitsforall is a pretty good retailer as well.

omg yes how could I forget about modcloth?! also @Need Coffee in an IV, how could I forget mall food court food omg..

Edited by Effloresce

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I also dress nice because it makes me feel good! I love makeup but I'm not very experimental. @Cat_Robutt I love recommending stuff! Instead of a foundation, I would recommend a BB cream. They are usually lighter and have built in sun screen. For eye shadow I use the naked palette 2, I have hazel eyes. My face gets oily so I use a setting powder to prevent my face from getting shiny. For lips I use blistex chap stick. This gets my lips nice and smooth. I have three different lipsticks that I rotate. Urban decay manic, too face melted coral, and a light pink clinque lipstick. Btw I'm fair with cool undertones, and my lips are super pale. I need color ha. My hair is a reddish brown. I can recommend face washes as well!

Do you have a specific setting powder that you like? My face isn't really oily and has always been more on the dry/sensitive side, but I do notice it getting shiny by the end of the day, so I always end up applying more powder half way through the day. It's especially shiny when I use a bb cream.

Speaking of makeup, I've been thinking of upgrading what I use (I guess I used what's considered "nice" drug store brands, only occasionally shopping at Sephora or MAC) but I feel like grad school isn't the best time to start buying expensive makeup? So I'll see I guess. :P 

5 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

yeah..it sucks that a lot of women have to resort to lying as well just to get men to leave em alone. i always have to hype myself up before the mall. i've always been a huge fan of online shopping though.

I actually have a ring that I switch to my wedding finger if guys harass me. Somehow it's okay to ignore my no's but as soon as I show I "belong to someone else" at it's been so eloquently put, they back off. I hate doing it, but I'm not going to let myself get harassed all the time.

All this clothes talk! I suppose my tastes haven't really matured - I LOVE american eagle and standard mall stores (because I can't get them in the UK). I've always just kept an eye out on sales, pick up stuff in random places while travelling too. I have such an ecclectic wardrobe that tells so many stories - but it's not overly professional. Oh well, it's me through and through :)

What's your thoughts on school-branded hoodies? Like I'll be loading up on Penn State stash but I wonder about undergrad places. I love both hoodies from my prior universities but I can't wear them where I currently am because of school rivalry but I'd like to keep them in my closet!

2 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Do you have a specific setting powder that you like? My face isn't really oily and has always been more on the dry/sensitive side, but I do notice it getting shiny by the end of the day, so I always end up applying more powder half way through the day. It's especially shiny when I use a bb cream.

Speaking of makeup, I've been thinking of upgrading what I use (I guess I used what's considered "nice" drug store brands, only occasionally shopping at Sephora or MAC) but I feel like grad school isn't the best time to start buying expensive makeup? So I'll see I guess. :P 

Yep I do! I use the make up forever, professional-paris, HD high definition powder. Its light but it gets the job done! So you won't get a chalky appearance at all. It looks like this! hd-powder-70908.png

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

I actually have a ring that I switch to my wedding finger if guys harass me. Somehow it's okay to ignore my no's but as soon as I show I "belong to someone else" at it's been so eloquently put, they back off. I hate doing it, but I'm not going to let myself get harassed all the time.

All this clothes talk! I suppose my tastes haven't really matured - I LOVE american eagle and standard mall stores (because I can't get them in the UK). I've always just kept an eye out on sales, pick up stuff in random places while travelling too. I have such an ecclectic wardrobe that tells so many stories - but it's not overly professional. Oh well, it's me through and through :)

What's your thoughts on school-branded hoodies? Like I'll be loading up on Penn State stash but I wonder about undergrad places. I love both hoodies from my prior universities but I can't wear them where I currently am because of school rivalry but I'd like to keep them in my closet!

I think it would be fine? Guess I never thought much about the whole rivalry thing until learning about American schools. My boyfriend actually attends a rival school of mine so I guess I could avoid flaunting school-branded attire there (though I did take a school thermos there once, shh don't tell anyone!) :P

American Eagle is great. They seem a bit pricier than I would expect but I just got my favourite pairs of shorts and sunglasses from there. :) 

6 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yep I do! I use the make up forever, professional-paris, HD high definition powder. Its light but it gets the job done! So you won't get a chalky appearance at all. It looks like this! hd-powder-70908.png

Okay thanks! I'll definitely check it out. :) I prefer keeping things light since my skin is so sensitive, but I don't think a bit more powder will bother me.

Just now, Danger_Zone said:

Okay thanks! I'll definitely check it out. :) I prefer keeping things light since my skin is so sensitive, but I don't think a bit more powder will bother me.

No problem! My skin is very sensitive as well and it hasn't cause any troubles for me. I know its kinda pricey but i think its worth it. I bought it awhile ago and there's still a lot left.