SLPA questions

I'm still waiting to hear back from three of the four schools I applied to so naturally I'm looking into Plan B options.  Does anyone have any input on becoming an SLPA?  How does one go about getting into this occupation? What are the requirements, etc.. Any help and info would be appreciated!! ?

I've been an slpa for about 10 months, I'm  in Maryland so idk of it works the same in other states. First, I had a bachelors in csd so I didn't need the required coursework, I also had my 25 observation hours( required for grad school and to be an slpa) then you need 75 hours of direct supervision ( hands on and just observing)  then you send in allllll the paperwork, take a test and then if everything is good, you'll get a limited license where you can practice under whoever supervises you, after the limited license you have 9 months until you get a full license where you can work wherever you want!

1 hour ago, Ejt5100 said:

I've been an slpa for about 10 months, I'm  in Maryland so idk of it works the same in other states. First, I had a bachelors in csd so I didn't need the required coursework, I also had my 25 observation hours( required for grad school and to be an slpa) then you need 75 hours of direct supervision ( hands on and just observing)  then you send in allllll the paperwork, take a test and then if everything is good, you'll get a limited license where you can practice under whoever supervises you, after the limited license you have 9 months until you get a full license where you can work wherever you want!

Thanks for the info!! I also have my bachelors in csd and have the required 25 hours. Where is the paperwork sent and testing done? I must not be looking in the right places to find all this information out lol! Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's the pay rate in your area for slpa? 

Uh it depends on where you're from, my paperwork went to the department of health , and I took the test at home ! And the pay rate in the dmv area is prettttty good. It all depends on your experience though. I've been at my company for 2 years , it's a small clinic but they get a lot of business so they treat me realllllly well.

If you want to move to Anchorage, Alaska, you get about $14/hr + benefits from the school district.  I don't know if other school districts in the country make it as easy to become a speech TA, it may be worth looking into.  The pay isn't good as a TA as opposed to SLPA, but it's experience.  For this district, you only need a bachelor's degree and leveling coursework in speech if the bachelor's was something different, as well as some experience, such as classroom/sped TA or observation hours.  They have a tuition reimbursement option too if you work for the district during and a few years after grad school.  Only online grad options though.

You're going to want to check with your state on this.   Every state does it differently, and I don't think all states require licensing to become some sort of assistant to an SLP.  I don't see anything for licensing SLPAs in Ohio so I'm not sure how it would work.  In California, SLPAs get licensed through the board based on a number of clinical hours and coursework.

http://slpaud.ohio.gov

Edited by ApplyingSLP

17 hours ago, Ejt5100 said:

I'm from Maryland and looking into being an SLPA! I graduate with my Bachelors in December 2016, but I'm thinking I don't want to do grad school right away...I'm currently unsure if I want to stick with speech or go in a related field.

What kind of settings/where have you worked? I'm from Montgomery County which is really close to DC.

Thanks! :)

Requirements vary from state to state, because ASHA doesn't license SLPAs. Some states require a license, some don't, and some don't have SLPAs at all.

California basically requires either a Bachelor's Degree in SLP/CommDis + 70 SLPA fieldwork hours or graduation from an accredited Associate's Degree program for SLPA (of which there are only a few).

I'm currently completing an accredited SLPA program, which has fieldwork as the last class and requires a minimum of 162 fieldwork hours for graduation.

California SLPAs generally make upwards of $18/hour, depending on location and whether it's private practice or school districts.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:06 AM, sbram94 said:

I'm from Maryland and looking into being an SLPA! I graduate with my Bachelors in December 2016, but I'm thinking I don't want to do grad school right away...I'm currently unsure if I want to stick with speech or go in a related field.

What kind of settings/where have you worked? I'm from Montgomery County which is really close to DC.

Thanks! :)

I'm from Frederick County MD and have been an SLP-A in WV for 1 year. I had a difficult time finding an SLP-A job that was commutable from Frederick and in MD. The jobs are hard to find and go fast according to my recruiter from my contract company. Frederick County Schools does not hire SLP-As....most schools don't unless they can't find an SLP to fill the job. Montgomery County hires SLP-As on occasion.

Do not bank on getting an SLP-A job, put your eggs in every basket...apply to grad school, search for SLP-A jobs and look for other job opportunities that may benefit your application essay (i.e. working with children, working with elderly, tutoring, research assistant, ABA therapist, working with special needs...etc.)

I'm not sure if D.C. uses SLP-As, not all states do...but I know WV, MD and VA too. Don't hesitate to look outside your state for SLP-A jobs, the application processes are different but pretty straight forward, the application maybe even cheaper in some neighboring states.

Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a SLPA for a year now and i think I learned more in this year than I did in my whole undergrad education. I completely recommend it, if you're thinking about a bridge to get you to a master's degree. I think my experience is what got me into the grad program I'm going to going to in the fall.