GRE

JustaThought

I think the best things you can do studying-wise are brush up on the basics of each section, then learn how to take the test. Go through the topics that are generally covered and make sure you can do each one/understand each topic. Read some more difficult literature, books or articles, and look up words you don't know to build up your vocabulary. Then do practice questions. A lot of them. Buy a review book and practice their strategies or work to find strategies that work well for you. I liked the Princeton review online course (the cheap one <$200) because the practice tests were on the computer like the actual test and they were thorough with testing strategies and they paced you through it based on when you were taking the test (so no last minute stress piles up trying to cram) . I have also heard good things about the online review on Magoosh. 

Another winning strategy, which helped me more than any test prep, was being more relaxed and less anxious during the actual test. Take computerized practice tests alone in a quiet space with no distractions so you feel confident in the context you will take the exam. Don't freak yourself out the night before of the exam (and stop studying 24hrs before you go for the test).  Seek out support and validation. Write down your feelings and "vent" before going into the test center. Being more calm the second time around helped me improve my scores much more than any review helped me the first time. 

I hope this is helpful! 

I highly recommend using Magoosh. I know a lot of other people would vouch for it as well. The site covers most of the GRE topics through online video lessons. It also has hundreds of practice questions and decent full-length practice tests. You can even review and filter questions  by difficulty and topic. It is also relatively inexpensive compared to a tutor or a class.

I think it's crucial to do as many realistic problems and realistic practice tests as possible. The best resources for these are:

• ETS PowerPrep software, which is free on the ETS website and offers 2 computer practice tests. Absolutely do these!
  • "ETS Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions" book for practice verbal questions made by the actual testmaker
  • "ETS Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions" book for practice quantitative questions made by the actual testmaker

If you need additional help on any one particular topic, Manhattan GRE has books for specific topics, such as Reading Comprehension, Geometry, etc. You can buy these books individually, and if you buy one, you get access to 6 free online practice tests. Buy older editions to save money.

Also, Magoosh has free vocabulary flashcards available if you need help in that area.

My goal was also 160 in both sections, and after two months of studying with the things I mentioned above I was able to beat my target.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Zero Darko Thirty

I second Magoosh! It was worth the $100 to upgrade my account to access all their instructional videos and practice questions. Also their free GRE vocab flashcards helped me tremendously on the verbal section!

Nothing wrong with 155! Any specific reason why you want 160? 155 not competitive enough for the programs you have in mind?

Where do you believe your weaknesses are? After taking mine the first time I knew my issue was in the reading passages (I'm dyslexic). So I spent the months prior just reviewing the math to stay sharp (did well enough there) but reading some "dense" philosophy writings and "A Tale of Two Cities". It helped me by raise my verbal score 5 points (only 155 but it was enough to help get me in!) with not a lot of real studying. I would also really suggest focusing more on strategies in making educated guesses for questions that you don't know (fill in the blanks) so you can spend time on other questions. 

Edited by Plasticity

I think I'm mirroring a lot of feedback here but I improved both of my scores by 5 points just by going through several practice tests. With that being said, my scores aren't competitive (157v, 155q) ...or to put it better, they weren't competitive enough for the programs I applied to. As I'm anticipating not getting off the wait list at my top choice, I'm really considering retaking them. Glad to hear people giving a thumbs up to magoosh - that may be my next stop. 

On 3/28/2016 at 5:36 PM, JustaThought said:

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to know how people improved their GRE scores? I have taken the test twice, and 155 was the highest I scored for each section. I would like to raise it to 160, but I am having trouble doing so.

Any advice? I am considering getting a tutor, but I know they can be expensive.

Thanks!

I tried Magoosh and it was helpful, but not as helpful as EmpowerGRE (in terms of teaching really, really useful strategies). Keep in mind that everyone has different learning styles, and for me, EmpowerGRE really worked with my learning style. I found that Magoosh was too focused on teaching content (which might be a good starting point), whereas EmpowerGRE focused on teaching specific (fool-proof) strategies to answer any question that comes your way. Check out all your options though. Good luck!

I took a Kaplan course (provided through the summer research program I did) and studied my butt of every. single. day. My roommates at my summer program actually used to tease me because I studied instead of going out with them, but I was able to raise my quant score from a 149 to a 159 (the first time I took the GRE, I did not study at all). I also raised my verbal score from 159ish to 163.

I had a great Kaplan instructor who gave a lot of advice and made it fun to learn the material. But, in all honesty, my improvement came from at-home study. The key for me was sitting down for at least an hour every single day to study vocab flash cards and do practice quant tests. Two weeks before the test, I increased my study time to two hours a day and took practice tests once a week. I am not good at standardized math testing, so I was pretty happy with my improvement.

yo I got 155/155 the first time and 161 quant and 159 verbal the second time. You need to download the Magoosh GRE flash cards. Also use the PowerPrep software because it will give most accurate prediction of your actual score. I also used a variety of books. I was doing 100-200 math questions a day for a while. And when I took the verbal section, I tried a new technique than what I did the first time I took the test. I used the scrap paper and paraphrased the passages. They have obscure words on the sentence and text completions so I really do recommend that vocabulary app. Words that I remember seeing were excoriate and chimerical. Also, remember that GRE score is only one aspect of your application. And a good GRE score is only one that will get you into the school you want to go to. Good luck!

GRE tutor here,

If you get a tutor I suggest you don't go through a company. The companies make like 60% profit off you after paying their tutors and the tutors do all the work. As in,  if you are paying a company $100/hr the tutor is making $40.

Instead, I would try to find someone and pay them directly, and  only for as my hours as you need to go over the particular areas you're struggling with. 

That means you should be doing the bulk of your studying on your own. Download the power prep software, get  a GRE book. Do practice problems. Come to your tutor armed with specific questions and areas to go over. You can likely only need about 4-6 hours of tutoring that way, which will save you tons of money in the long run.

I would suggest GRE prep by Nova through bench prep. It's an online program: I had the app and the computer software. Out of all my study materials (Kaplan book and ETS book), I considered it the most helpful. It gave me a study plan based on how long I had until my test. I took an initial test when I first started and it showed me a detailed review of my strengths and weaknesses based on the test. It tailored your study plan based on your weaknesses. Every time you take a practice test, it would update your strengths and weaknesses to ensure you were improving in all areas. I didn't have that much time to study working two jobs but I improved my score 12 points. I could imagine that it would be higher if I went through the whole plan and didn't work a second job. Excellent program overall because it has everything you need in 1 program! 

Use the "Blind Review" method that a lot of people tout for the LSAT and MCATs; this was the only way I could make a consistent dent in my score. Gave up studying around the 164 mark for v and q, which was enough to get me into my top choice. Learning *how* to study the material is probably the best thing you can do. If you feel like you aren't making progress, you're likely not studying correctly, or at least this is what I discovered with regards to my own study habits. I'd try everything you can on your own before paying a tutor, but I second the recommendation for Magoosh. Manhattan Prep also lets you sit in on a class for free to see if you like it, and you can learn a decent amount from that class alone. If you're on the fence about paying so much money I'd suggest trying it out first. 

Edited by hilbertmonkey

Guest joshw4288
On April 7, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Plasticity said:

One year I would just love it if everyone boycotted the GRE and applied to schools anyway. It is nothing but a cash grab for ETS.

I hear these arguments all the time, "It's nothing but a cash grab", "It doesn't predict anything" etc. Unfortunately, these arguments are simply wrong. 

Kuncel, N. R., Hezlett, S. A., & Ones, D. S. (2001). A comprehensive meta-analysis of the predictive validity of the graduate record examinations: implications for graduate student selection and performance. Psychological Bulletin127(1), 162.

2 hours ago, joshw4288 said:

I hear these arguments all the time, "It's nothing but a cash grab", "It doesn't predict anything" etc. Unfortunately, these arguments are simply wrong.

I think it's a bit unfair to tell someone that their argument is "simply wrong" by citing one article that states the contrary. Also, if professors and universities truly believed that these test scores determine a student's future success in graduate school, my SO would not have been accepted anywhere.

Edited by FeelTheBern

4 hours ago, joshw4288 said:

Kuncel, N. R., Hezlett, S. A., & Ones, D. S. (2001). A comprehensive meta-analysis of the predictive validity of the graduate record examinations: implications for graduate student selection and performance. Psychological Bulletin127(1), 162.

I don't what is funnier, your objection, citing one study, or citing one 15 year old study. You should also post some studies that suggest using tobacco does not increase the risk for cancer.

Edited by Plasticity

I dunno, but I’ve always been a little bit reticent to jump into the OMG-the-GRE-so-unfair bandwagon. I feel it is really more of a symptom rather than a cause of a much wider issue which is simply the fact that graduate school applications in programs like Psychology (which I think always rank consistently on the top 5 most popular major in North America? ß could be wrong here) have skyrocketed in the past decade and there really is no system (at least not until that I’m aware of) to place all students on a common standard for evaluation.

Back when I was intering at ETS (and it seems like I will be heading there next year) we would have a few research talks on the type of validity evidence that’s out there in the literature for the GRE (and other standardized tests) and if a discussion broke out (which it often did) regarding the downfalls of score use and interpretation, we almost always ended up circling back to the same conclusion: the GRE (or your standardized test of choice) is definitely not ideal, but it is the only solution that makes sense given the time/budget limitations of the world we live in. I honestly don’t think a prestigious Psych program would discard a stellar candidate (where by “stellar” I mean publications in peer-reviewed journals, conference presentations, strong LORs from prestigious labs, etc.) just because his or her GRE scores do not match X or Y cut-offs. But I do think that if you’re an “average” candidate with average scores then, yes, the GRE will impact you positively or negatively. The key issue is to recognize that is not because of the score itself, it is because there are 100s applicants who look just like you on paper. And if among the 100s of applicants it just so happens that a few look better on the GRE than you, then your chances  of ending up on the “no” pile as opposed to the “yes” increase.   

I guess in an ideal world there would be a way to have some sort of “holistic” evaluation of candidates, but unless someone can figure out how to obtain and administer the resources in terms of time, money, labour, etc. to implement said system the GRE is here to stay.

PS - I think it's funny how we started with a thread about strategies to improve GRE scores and we're now back to the old-age debate of whether or not the use of GRE scores for admission purposes is valid. 

I used a combination of Magoosh and Princeton Review online.  I really liked Princeton Review's online tutorials and drills.  They were much more focused than Magoosh.  AFTER completing Princeton Review, I practiced on Magoosh.

I got 162 on V without any practice (so I didn't bother studying) and 152 on Q during my diagnostic. 

This practice got me to 160 in Q:

I spent 1 week studying about 10 hours a day on Princeton Review (requested off work, skipped class), then the next week practicing questions on Magoosh that changed difficulty based on what I got right.  On Princeton Review I focused on understanding concepts.  I watched all the tutorials and took my time on the drills.  I practiced their method of taking notes and followed them during the actual exam.   During Magoosh practice I focused on speed.  If I didn't think I was gonna solve a problem in 1.5 mins (it's a feeling), I gave up and studied the explanation video. 

As you can probably tell, I basically crammed for the GRE...  If you stretch it out over a summer, though, you could definitely get better scores than me by studying Princeton Review's excellent methods and using Magoosh's excellent question bank.  Most of my friends who did that tested much better than me.

Guest joshw4288
On April 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Plasticity said:

I don't what is funnier, your objection, citing one study, or citing one 15 year old study. You should also post some studies that suggest using tobacco does not increase the risk for cancer.

On April 9, 2016 at 1:05 PM, FeelTheBern said:

I think it's a bit unfair to tell someone that their argument is "simply wrong" by citing one article that states the contrary. Also, if professors and universities truly believed that these test scores determine a student's future success in graduate school, my SO would not have been accepted anywhere.

I simply think people should recognize the GRE for its use given the empirical data available. Yes, I only listed one article, a meta-analysis, consisting of over 80,000 test takers. I presume that everyone on this board is empirically inclined given their choice of study and has the capability to use reference lists and "cited-by" lists to track other publications on the topic. In case some don't, I'll leave you with a more recent meta-analysis of 100 studies and over 10,000 participants: 

Kuncel, N. R.Wee, S.Serafin, L., & Hezlett, S. A. (2010). The validity of the Graduate Record Examination for master's and doctoral programs: A meta-analytic investigation. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 70, 340–352.

We don't have to "believe" that these tests predict graduate school success because we have substantial evidence that they do. To argue that an application would not have been accepted anywhere solely based on GRE scores is simply silly. No one has ever argued that the GRE is the only predictor so a low score would not necessarily prevent an admission or success. Likewise, not everyone with a low score will be unsuccessful and not everyone with a high score will be successful. That would suggest that GRE predicts 100% of variability, which of course it doesn't. It's one useful addition to incremental validity in the determination of whether an applicant will be successful or not. An argument that it predicts nothing is simply contrary to the evidence. In colloquial speak, I would call that "simply wrong".

•  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! The most obvious way to improve your score is independent-study: complete as many practice problems as possible, take full-length practice exams under timed conditions,etc. A tutor may help with some fundamentals strategies and approaches to questions that you may not have considered in the past. A third-party can also add value by analyzing your strengths and weaknesses, and customizing a learning experience to your needs.

Full disclosure: Idalia is an academic advisor and private tutor for Parliament Tutors in Miami.