Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations to last cycle's grantees! I thought I'd start this for the next cycle since the application cycle opens tomorrow. Let's help each other out during this process. Feel free to ask questions, introduce yourself, or blow off steam regarding the application process here. Good luck to everyone.

29 minutes ago, jenrd said:

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations to last cycle's grantees! I thought I'd start this for the next cycle since the application cycle opens tomorrow. Let's help each other out during this process. Feel free to ask questions, introduce yourself, or blow off steam regarding the application process here. Good luck to everyone.

Jenrd,

Thank you for making this new thread I'm excited to hear about everyone's journey. What kind of grants are people interested in? I interested in apply for a research/study grant to the UAE.

UAE would be amazing! I'm applying for an ETA and have narrowed down my choices to three countries so far. I hope to narrow down to a specific country by this weekend and just commit to that country. 

Thank you!

What countries are you looking into?

I'm interested in the UAE because I visited there when I was studying abroad in Jordan. Plus I have studied Arabic for four years so conducting research will be a bit easier. Jordan was my first thought but for the research I'm conducting it's not appropriate.

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in applying for an ETA in either Germany or India for next cycle. I've done pretty extensive research and utilized my campus' Fulbright Liaison, but I am really interested in any information regarding stipends/salaries for different countries. Does anyone know where this information is?

5 minutes ago, TylerJohnStrohl said:

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in applying for an ETA in either Germany or India for next cycle. I've done pretty extensive research and utilized my campus' Fulbright Liaison, but I am really interested in any information regarding stipends/salaries for different countries. Does anyone know where this information is?

Both Germany and India sound great!

Unfortunately I have no clue where you would find stipend information for a specific country. All I know is that the program says the stipend will be enough to live off of. I do believe that it varies from country to country.

18 minutes ago, Asmith10 said:

Thank you!

What countries are you looking into?

I'm interested in the UAE because I visited there when I was studying abroad in Jordan. Plus I have studied Arabic for four years so conducting research will be a bit easier. Jordan was my first thought but for the research I'm conducting it's not appropriate.

I'm considering Turkey, India, or Hungary. The original list I had in mind for potential options was much larger...I've really narrowed it down over the past few weeks, but they all have their pros and cons. What kind of research are you hoping to do?

3 minutes ago, jenrd said:

I'm considering Turkey, India, or Hungary. The original list I had in mind for potential options was much larger...I've really narrowed it down over the past few weeks, but they all have their pros and cons. What kind of research are you hoping to do?

I think all three are great options! They definitely all have tons of culture!

I have three projects in mind, I am still in the process of narrowing down what my research will be. But all of my ideas focus on the social and cultural atmosphere that exists in UAE.

2 hours ago, TylerJohnStrohl said:

Hello Everyone,

If you apply to the Germany ETA (or even if you apply to India), you should think about applying here too: https://www.usta-austria.at

It's not technically Fulbright, which means you can apply to both, but it offers essentially the same sort of opportunity.

I'll be an ETA in Spain, but I wanted to let people who are applying to Spain that they have expanded their program!! There are now 123 awards instead of 46 with different regions!! You still can pick a preference (Madrid, La Rioja, Asutrias and Galicia I think) so hopefully your waiting will be less painless since you have more awards :)

Hi Guys. 

I have applied 4 times in the past 0_0. I have been a finalist twice. And will be trying one more time. I hope to apply to Indonesia to focus on wildlife conservation. Either Rhino or the human-elephant conflict ! Good luck to all ! 

1 hour ago, Photogeographic said:

Hi Guys. 

I have applied 4 times in the past 0_0. I have been a finalist twice. And will be trying one more time. I hope to apply to Indonesia to focus on wildlife conservation. Either Rhino or the human-elephant conflict ! Good luck to all ! 

I don't think I've ever been rooting for someone as much as I am for you this cycle!! Talk about perseverance.

I made it through the first round for Ireland in this past cycle and I'll be reapplying there.

Hey all, 

Super excited to see that this thread has been created! I'm interested in applying for an ETA. As of now I have not yet decided on where, but I'm thinking either Senegal or Greece. This is my first time applying to the Fulbright so I'm very excited but also rather nervous!

Question: does anyone know why some countries (namely, all those in Sub-Saharan Africa) still list TBD in regard to how many grants they are awarding? Or perhaps when this information will be determined?  

22 hours ago, keangarc said:

Hey all, 

Super excited to see that this thread has been created! I'm interested in applying for an ETA. As of now I have not yet decided on where, but I'm thinking either Senegal or Greece. This is my first time applying to the Fulbright so I'm very excited but also rather nervous!

Question: does anyone know why some countries (namely, all those in Sub-Saharan Africa) still list TBD in regard to how many grants they are awarding? Or perhaps when this information will be determined?  

I am wondering that about sub saharan Africa as well. I don't know why they are not more specific, but if you look at ETA statistics for the past few years it might help you get a better idea of how many openings each country has in general.

It looks like Rwanda has had 3 ETA positions the past 3 years so it is probable they will have around 3 again this year. It is unlikely (although not impossible) it will jump from 3 to 15 or something like that. South Africa has had 10,10,14....Here is the list. Hope it helps

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-grant-application-statistics

On 3/31/2016 at 11:26 PM, Asmith10 said:

Jenrd,

Thank you for making this new thread I'm excited to hear about everyone's journey. What kind of grants are people interested in? I interested in apply for a research/study grant to the UAE.

Cool! I actually lived in Abu Dhabi for about two years, and let me tell you, its amazing there! I applied last year for a UK partnership award, and will be doing the same thing this year=]

On 3/31/2016 at 4:02 PM, keangarc said:

Hey all, 

Im Senegalese=] I had a friend last year who applied to Ghana and had the same question concerning the number of grants awarded ...

On 3/31/2016 at 5:45 AM, Photogeographic said:

Hi Guys. 

Well I will join in on this good luck above and I have applied three times twice selected as an alternate, and this last year not even past the first round with the same project i was selected as an alternate with twice. Only difference is I have been in private sector working after school for 5 years so i have to apply as a research scholar. Thus, I am competing for one grant, unlike the ETA's. So the alternate was positive given the number of applicants, lets hope this year is better. Though I will add, I put in this past year project i applied twice before and was selected as an alternate. So not sure if ti worked against me. I will leave out this time for sure.

Good luck all!!!!! 

On April 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM, NeneGalle_ said:

Cool! I actually lived in Abu Dhabi for about two years, and let me tell you, its amazing there! I applied last year for a UK partnership award, and will be doing the same thing this year=]

That's great to hear! Of course I'm excited to start conducting research, but it's always nice to hear that the place you may be for 10 months is wonderful. 

I have traveled around the UK and the people all seem to be warm and inviting. I'm sure you'll fall in love with it!

Sorry to post here, dunno where else to ask the questions.

I'm an international student starting grad school in Fall 2016. BA from NYU. I asked NYU about external scholarship programs for international students and they told me that I can apply for Fulbright. I have checked the website of Fulbright but got confused with all the different programs that they offer. Does anyone know which programs in particular should I apply to and where should I start in order to get more information about the scholarship programs? Any other external pre-doc fellowship/scholarship for international students studying humanities that you recommend/know of?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Good luck to all!

I am a Canadian who is considering applying for the Traditional Student Award to study in the US, but I can't find much about it apart from the award website. Does anyone have an idea of the selectivity of the award and who/what they tend to be looking for?

2 hours ago, Cat Time said:

Good luck to all!

I am a Canadian who is considering applying for the Traditional Student Award to study in the US, but I can't find much about it apart from the award website. Does anyone have an idea of the selectivity of the award and who/what they tend to be looking for?

I know for the U.S. Fulbright the information you are looking for can be found in the "Country Discription" and in the "Directory." The Country Discription page will tell you the types of majors the country is looking for. And the Directory will tell you the name of the Fulbright Scholar and what the topic of their research was. 

I hope I am answering your question and you find this information useful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On April 2, 2016 at 9:19 PM, NeneGalle_ said:

Hi NeneGalle,

I'm not sure how far you made it in your last application, but I was a finalist (now what they call semis-finalist, i guess) to the UK a few years ago. I went through the interview stage and everything. So, if I can be helpful to you in anyway, let me know! I know how hard it is getting a UK grant.