Fulbright 2017-2018

jenrd

Hi all!

I have a question: I took my Language Eval at the end of July. My professor still hasn't submitted it. I emailed him Thursday and it still isn't done. The deadline is Sept. 9th for my school. Is it appropriate to send another email on Tuesday, marked high urgency, to remind him? I did really well on the exam, so I don't want to have to retake with someone else (I was a nervous wreck...). I don't want to be rude, but I do really need the evaluation.

On 9/3/2016 at 8:18 AM, Horb said:

Hi all!

I have a question: I took my Language Eval at the end of July. My professor still hasn't submitted it. I emailed him Thursday and it still isn't done. The deadline is Sept. 9th for my school. Is it appropriate to send another email on Tuesday, marked high urgency, to remind him? I did really well on the exam, so I don't want to have to retake with someone else (I was a nervous wreck...). I don't want to be rude, but I do really need the evaluation.

Horb I would definitely send a polite reminder.  He should definitely understand and you can always send a well-written thank you note once the stressful application time is over.  He certainly had plenty of time (a little over a month) and a polite, friendly reminder is very reasonable!  Good luck!

36 minutes ago, Dilemma1 said:

Horb I would definitely send a polite reminder.  He should definitely understand and you can always send a well-written thank you note once the stressful application time is over.  He certainly had plenty of time (a little over a month) and a polite, friendly reminder is very reasonable!  Good luck!

It was one of those things where he said he'd do it right away and, I'm sure, completely forgot, because life. Thanks for the reinforcement!

Hi all,

So glad this forum exists, and hope everyone is having a smooth time with their application! I'm applying for a research grant to Lithuania. I just graduated undergrad in May so I'm applying through my alma matter for now. I've created my own project that's involving interviews with other people, and I'm confused about what an individual ethics review means. I have obtained a letter of affiliation and am under the impression that most obtain an IRB approval from the Lithuanian University before they arrive but after they submit the Fulbright application.

For the U.S., I tried to submit an IRB app  to my alma mater for review but they said it may not count sense I am no longer an employee or student there. The committee also suggested I apply at large and obtain one through the department of state? 

Is anyone doing research on humans/animals outside of a graduate program? How did you go about getting an ethics review? Hope this makes sense:)

Thanks guys!

Edited by JKay

12 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Anyone nervous about making plans this summer in case the orientation date ends up being the same date ? Does anyone have any info when the orientations were last year ? 

I was under the impression only some people (based on country) have to go to the Washington Orientation...am I wrong?

On 4/12/2016 at 9:19 PM, NepalBound said:

Hi everyone- congrats on your decision to apply. I recently received an ETA Fulbright to Nepal. I would love to answer any questions or help if anyone needs anything!

Any advice for personal letter/statement of grant purpose? I'm applying for Nepal and am really nervous about my application.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my language evaluation (whew!). For those of you are applying to countries that require self-evaluations, how did you determine which overall level of language ability you have? I feel like I am advanced in speaking and listening, but intermediate in reading and writing. Should I play it safe and go with intermediate? I don't want to downplay my language ability too much, though, because I feel like having the bare minimum isn't the best for an application either.

In addition to the question above ... Anyone applying for the CLEA for a rare language but have yet to start formal training ? I was supposed to start months ago but I was working abroad in other counties unexpectedly. I am interested in still applying bc I will be taking formal classes this fall ( after the application is due). anyone else applying for the CLEA but have yet to start their training ? How did you go about having someone else evaluate you ? I am applying for a Bahada/ Indoneisan and I'm not sure how to go about the language evaluation. I don't want to drop the ball on this as I know I will be taking training. Just poor timing. 

On 9/22/2016 at 2:40 PM, cardinalowl said:

Finished my language evaluation (whew!). For those of you are applying to countries that require self-evaluations, how did you determine which overall level of language ability you have? I feel like I am advanced in speaking and listening, but intermediate in reading and writing. Should I play it safe and go with intermediate? I don't want to downplay my language ability too much, though, because I feel like having the bare minimum isn't the best for an application either.

In my experience, they will look at the language evaluation as the level you are at. If your person put Advanced in two, intermediate in two, then that is how they will think you are. So I would recommend choosing based on how many years you've studied (2+ they list as advanced).

1 hour ago, Horb said:

In my experience, they will look at the language evaluation as the level you are at. If your person put Advanced in two, intermediate in two, then that is how they will think you are. So I would recommend choosing based on how many years you've studied (2+ they list as advanced).

Unfortunately, I haven't had formal study (i.e. high school or college classes) – just ~8 years of weekly Chinese school (it sounds like a lot, but I was also in elementary/middle school at the time) and speaking Chinese at home. I don't want to overstate my language ability by picking Advanced, but I also don't want to understate my ability by picking Intermediate. Either way there is space to fill it explain on the form, and I know I'm probably overthinking this <_<

9 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

In addition to the question above ... Anyone applying for the CLEA for a rare language but have yet to start formal training ? I was supposed to start months ago but I was working abroad in other counties unexpectedly. I am interested in still applying bc I will be taking formal classes this fall ( after the application is due). anyone else applying for the CLEA but have yet to start their training ? How did you go about having someone else evaluate you ? I am applying for a Bahada/ Indoneisan and I'm not sure how to go about the language evaluation. I don't want to drop the ball on this as I know I will be taking training. Just poor timing. 

For my language evaluation, I emailed my campus advisor, who referred me to a professor at my university. It looks like the recommended language proficiency for Indonesia is 1 year/novice level, and says on the website: "Applicants without language proficiency should include plans for language study in their Fulbright applications, and selected candidates should begin studying the language as soon as possible, since language proficiency will greatly enhance the Fulbright experience." It sounds like if you include your plans for studying Indonesian on your application, you would be good to go. Do you speak some Indonesian already?

4 hours ago, goalbb said:

Hi everyone, joining the forum a bit later. I'm applying to the Fulbright research award in the Netherlands. I have searched in vain over the forums but can't seem to find a clear answer to the question: what are the steps that happen after the campus interview, if you are admitted through the first round? How many additional interviews are there?

What about the language of the interviews? Are they in the language of the country or are all the interviews in English?

There's no language because it is country specific. Mexico, Russia, UK, and Australia Interview (among a few others). The Netherlands do not. So you wait til January. Hear back. Wait some more if you're through to round two. Thus: no more interviews.

On 9/29/2016 at 5:56 AM, goalbb said:

Hey! Thanks so much for your reply! I guess that's good news that there are no more interviews - I had heard that some countries had 2 additional interviews. So I guess, then, it's just waiting to hear.

Yeah, it is country dependent. It would have mentioned interviews on the country page, though in theory, they could decide to add it, I suppose.

20 hours ago, cardinalowl said:

Good luck to everyone in putting the finishing touches to your applications! My university's internal deadline is near the end of this week, and I'm glad to finally get this application in. :)

Thanks! Do you mind sharing what your process is like at your uni? At mine, our deadline was the start of September and we had interviews the second/third week. I'm curious what other processes are like.

27 minutes ago, Horb said:

Thanks! Do you mind sharing what your process is like at your uni? At mine, our deadline was the start of September and we had interviews the second/third week. I'm curious what other processes are like.

There were info sessions in mid-June and early July for many different scholarships and fellowships. The internal deadline was due in late August, and I had my campus interview last week (they're supposed to send us feedback from the committee pretty soon). Letters of rec were sent straight to the fellowship office and we're not supposed to register them online until we get feedback (I think this is so they can make sure that we have good letters). Our final applications are due this week so the fellowship office can get a once-over before the actual deadline. Luckily, they allow everyone who wants to apply to apply -- in some other national fellowships, they can only nominate a few people every year.

6 hours ago, cardinalowl said:

There were info sessions in mid-June and early July for many different scholarships and fellowships. The internal deadline was due in late August, and I had my campus interview last week (they're supposed to send us feedback from the committee pretty soon). Letters of rec were sent straight to the fellowship office and we're not supposed to register them online until we get feedback (I think this is so they can make sure that we have good letters). Our final applications are due this week so the fellowship office can get a once-over before the actual deadline. Luckily, they allow everyone who wants to apply to apply -- in some other national fellowships, they can only nominate a few people every year.

Yeah, Fulbright requires universities to send on everyone who wants to apply (even if the university doesn't endorse them, as shown on the Page 10). I really like that feature about Fulbright. It is interesting that you have to send letters to the office, rather than uploading to embark for the internal deadline. I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense.

Thanks for sharing, btw! And I hope your application is successful.

17 hours ago, Horb said:

Yeah, Fulbright requires universities to send on everyone who wants to apply (even if the university doesn't endorse them, as shown on the Page 10). I really like that feature about Fulbright. It is interesting that you have to send letters to the office, rather than uploading to embark for the internal deadline. I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense.

Thanks for sharing, btw! And I hope your application is successful.

Thanks! And yeah, it is a little strange -- one of my friends applied for a different scholarship, and the office actually told him one of his letters wasn't good enough and that he needed another one!

Good luck to you as well, what country are you applying to?

19 hours ago, cardinalowl said:

Thanks! And yeah, it is a little strange -- one of my friends applied for a different scholarship, and the office actually told him one of his letters wasn't good enough and that he needed another one!

Good luck to you as well, what country are you applying to?

Haha. I bet it was the Rhodes or the Marshall.

I'm applying to Germany for a Full Grant. I'm really hoping I get it, as if I don't, I'm not going to be able to do my dissertation work :( (well, not the way I want to).

On 3/31/2016 at 8:45 AM, Photogeographic said:

Hi Guys. 

I have applied 4 times in the past 0_0. I have been a finalist twice. And will be trying one more time. I hope to apply to Indonesia to focus on wildlife conservation. Either Rhino or the human-elephant conflict ! Good luck to all ! 

On 3/31/2016 at 10:11 AM, kfm said:

I don't think I've ever been rooting for someone as much as I am for you this cycle!! Talk about perseverance.

I made it through the first round for Ireland in this past cycle and I'll be reapplying there.

I think Photogeo is the only person I'm rooting for more than myself!

I'll be throwing my hat in again for UK open award again (just going to sleep on my statement a few more nights); hopefully things won't be so painful this cycle.

3 hours ago, Photogeographic said:

Same ! 0_0

Congrats! I can't imagine doing this four times. This is my second time (UK Finalist the first time). My FPA said my application was really strong, as did someone who sat on the FB committee for 3 years for my country. WE WILL SEE.

Are any arts applicants having trouble with the Embark supplementary materials upload portal? When I initially submitted on Wednesday October 5th it seemed to go through, but I received an email saying that it had an issue and whenever I try to resubmit now, I get a connectivity error (attached screenshot) even though I have tested different internet connections and different browsers, and made sure that everything I was entering/uploading met all the length/size requirements. I've contacted Embark tech support but so far they haven't solved it (mostly just asked if javascript is enabled, which it is). Is anyone else having this issue/know what it is/how to fix it? I'm going crazy since there is no extension or anything for tech issues.

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 8.23.16 AM.png

4 hours ago, kfm said:

Are any arts applicants having trouble with the Embark supplementary materials upload portal? When I initially submitted on Wednesday October 5th it seemed to go through, but I received an email saying that it had an issue and whenever I try to resubmit now, I get a connectivity error (attached screenshot) even though I have tested different internet connections and different browsers, and made sure that everything I was entering/uploading met all the length/size requirements. I've contacted Embark tech support but so far they haven't solved it (mostly just asked if javascript is enabled, which it is). Is anyone else having this issue/know what it is/how to fix it? I'm going crazy since there is no extension or anything for tech issues.

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 8.23.16 AM.png

I know that my fellowships office said that the Fulbright portal gets a lot slower as the deadline draws closer – more and more people are trying to upload things and submit their applications!