USC Rossier Ed.D.

ZacharyObama

Hi @ZacharyObama I plan to apply Fall 2017. Good luck! I do not find many posts about this program. I am following to see if anyone chimes in...also please update if you get accepted. I have tons of questions if you are willing :-)

Edited by HappiStar

• 2 weeks later...

Tuition and fees is estimated to be $79,000 for the Ed.D program. May I ask what your current position is in higher education if applicable. My coworkers want me to do a Ed.D but I was thinking a California State University due to the (really) high cost. I have only met one person with a Ed.D from USC (who happens to be an admin.) I am having a hard time rationalizing why I should pay that much for a doctorate when I can get one for less than $20,000. 

On 4/30/2016 at 9:41 PM, MAC2809 said:

Tuition and fees is estimated to be $79,000 for the Ed.D program. May I ask what your current position is in higher education if applicable. My coworkers want me to do a Ed.D but I was thinking a California State University due to the (really) high cost. I have only met one person with a Ed.D from USC (who happens to be an admin.) I am having a hard time rationalizing why I should pay that much for a doctorate when I can get one for less than $20,000. 

I work for USC so I am covered under tuition benefits as a staff member. I did pay full price for my MPA from USC so I obviously was able to justify the cost. I didn't plan on going into higher education admin, my focus was environmental policy. Education is an individual choice and is framed by individual economic circumstances. College is expensive. People choose to pay more for a private education in great numbers in our country. If I had to put one thing out there though that to me has made a big difference, it's the Trojan Family. Also, there's tons of opportunities at USC to get involved in the larger education world due to its status as a major research university. Why does anyone by the Mercedes Benz or the Kia? Because that's what they want and they can afford it. 

I am also having a hard time with rationalizing the cost. However, I work at a nearby community college and I have noticed many of the exec admins on campus have their Ed.D from USC. I think being apart of the network, as you have pointed out @ZacharyObama may outweigh the steep tuition. I am still debating, but I have also noticed that USC offers a variety of concentrations in the program that nearby colleges do not. I think  USC may be the best fit, but I obviously will need to think about all of the pros and cons. Good luck @ZacharyObama !! Thanks for agreeing to answer any questions. Also, the CSU tuition is about 54k for the Ed.D program. I am not sure paying 25k more is that much of a difference when you consider the reputation and opportunities of belonging to the Trojan family.

Edited by HappiStar

• 3 weeks later...

oh wow @zacharyobama will you consider applying again? Also, since you work there...would anyone be able to give you insight about what the committee may have thought needed improvement in your application materials? Thank you for sharing your results and I know another door will open for you. 

Edited by HappiStar

@HappiStar I need more work experience. They encouraged me to polish my essays and apply again next year. My application otherwise is excellent, I am going to take classes at USC Price for the year and then hopefully I get in so I can make it Dr. and be done with school (ha!).  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

@isa-misa Thanks for the information!

I have to say, @isa-misa  I've noticed you popping up on a few of these threads and you always seem to have the inside, current, intel. Are you Linda Darling-Hammond in hiding? Have little birds in each office? Maybe just a rock star who's been accepted into all top 10 programs already? You've piqued my interest! And clearly I have a wild imagination...

8 hours ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

@isa-misa Thanks for the information!

I have to say, @isa-misa  I've noticed you popping up on a few of these threads and you always seem to have the inside, current, intel. Are you Linda Darling-Hammond in hiding? Have little birds in each office? Maybe just a rock star who's been accepted into all top 10 programs already? You've piqued my interest! And clearly I have a wild imagination...

I'll leave you in suspense. I appreciate suspense.

49 minutes ago, waitnhope said:

Congrats on the interview! How did it go? What's your research focus?

Thank you! It definitely was a shock to receive an interview from any of the schools. It went well (but maybe not well enough for me to have landed a spot, since I didn't get any notification at this point). Discussed around my interests, which is around serving low-income and disenfranchised communities and my personal background etc.