Pursuing a Ph.D in English after a Creative Writing MFA

daisydeadpetals

Question

Hi, all,

I am finishing my MFA in Creative Writing this year and would like to start a Ph.D program in English in Fall 2017. Here's a little background info: I graduated with a 3.9 GPA in History from Florida State with a minor in English in 2009. As an undergraduate, I wrote an honors thesis in my field. After working a few years as an English tutor online, I decided to pursue an MFA at Eastern Oregon University, where I'm specializing in creative nonfiction. My ultimate goal is to write and teach. However, though an MFA is considered a terminal degree, I feel it is necessary for me to have a more established background in literary theory and literature. So, I'm thinking about applying to Ph.D programs. In particular, I am interested in CUNY, Colorado, and Oregon, but feel free to suggest others!

I've been through the wringer--I've taken the GRE twice (and will take it again), written many SOPs, and submitted writing samples--but not so much the academic kind in the last few years. I don't want to submit a part of my undergraduate thesis. I know my thesis director/mentor will eagerly help me with the writing sample, and I have professors for LOR. What are some good examples of critical theory essays (in general, not necessary application ones)? Also, because I'll have my MFA and not an MA, I am anticipating having to get my MA and Ph.D. Am I correct in this assumption?

Any help is appreciated! Also, it would help to know what others have experienced as well. Thank you very much!

-Amy

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet