mckshr

Question

Hello all!

I recently started the application process again, applying to PhD programs, specifically Clinical psychology programs. One thing I've always been told is that APA accredited, Clinical psychology programs are extremely competitive. Because my undergrad GPA was so low: 2.78, I never applied to a PhD program, but instead went straight into a Master's program at Drexel Univ. I've managed to keep an okay GPA of 3.77, along with working as a Research assistant and interning in a psychiatric hospital. So with all this being said, do you think I would competitive for admissions into an Ivy League psych program? Do you think there are the areas I could improve on or add too to up my chances of admission or at least to stand out and score an interview? What I'm basically looking for advice or success stories of getting into PhD programs!

Thanks ahead of time!

McKSher

1 answer to this question

While your grad GPA is ok, your uGPA-for which the graduate divisions at most Ivy League schools require a 3.0 at a minimum-may make it tough for you to get accepted/funding. Each school/program, of course, varies in how stringently they enforce such requirements. There are a few ways to get an idea of whether it is in your best interest to apply to such schools: look at the profiles/stats for recently admitted students-many, but not all, make this information available, but it may take some searching; contact the grad coordinator/program administrator and ask if such info is available; contact POIs you are interested in working with and see what they think.

Regardless of your findings, however, I would suggest applying to a range of programs, so that you are not locked out from PhD programs should you only apply to that specific subset of schools. Also, while the Ivy League holds a certain level of attraction for most, there are great programs at peer institutions-some which are even ranked higher than those at Ivy League schools.  

As for improving your profile:

Write well-tailored and absolutely pristine SOPs. Have as many respected advisors and mentors as possible give you feedback on them.

Submit writing samples, if required, that show your ability to formulate original and interesting research questions, and that demonstrate your ability to carry out complex and well-crafted research projects.

Ask professors you have worked with if they can write you *strong* letters. To that end, ask for recommendations from profs with whom you have worked on major projects, and who can speak to a variety of your experiences/qualifications (research capability, teaching ability, grasp of foundational concepts, your intern experience, etc.).

Retake the GRE if you scored below the 90th % in any of the sections. GRE scores, from what I've been told, are very important to Ivy League funding decisions. 

Most of all, do not wait until the last minute to get started on your supplemental application materials. 

Edited by johnnycomelately
Clarification