History 2010

Sparky

Well, there were only a couple of admits posted. I wouldn't think they are quite done. I think Harvard and UPenn might do some admits today.

Gulp.

I am feeling kinda nervous because Harvard historically notifies rejects via postal, so we won't be hearing anything from them until much later if we are in the reject pool

I am feeling kinda nervous because Harvard historically notifies rejects via postal, so we won't be hearing anything from them until much later if we are in the reject pool

This is true, but it seems like there should be a couple more admits. Or maybe everyone who gets into Harvard does not visit this site because they know how awesome they are? ;)

Is anyone else in mortal terror? Things have been too quiet for too long. And I've had to grudgingly admit to myself that I DO have a top choice, based on how terrible I will feel if I get rejected from them.

This is true, but it seems like there should be a couple more admits. Or maybe everyone who gets into Harvard does not visit this site because they know how awesome they are? ;)

Is anyone else in mortal terror? Things have been too quiet for too long. And I've had to grudgingly admit to myself that I DO have a top choice, based on how terrible I will feel if I get rejected from them.

I know what you mean. Its like a constant feeling of being judged for everything you've ever done from afar.

I know what you mean. Its like a constant feeling of being judged for everything you've ever done from afar.

And this is such a rotten year for applying to fully-funded programs.

On a positive note, Minnesota did send me an email regarding visiting weekend, so at least I feel the "love" in some small way. I have still not corresponded with either of my potential advisors, though, and what worries me is that I wrote to my potential advisor in Wisconsin several days ago and I haven't heard anything. He always responded quickly before, so now I'm getting paranoid that I was admitted without funding.

Or I don't know if he refrains from responding BECAUSE they are in the middle of funding talk.

At any rate, I keep feeling like everything I'm doing is wrong somehow. I don't understand this weird competitive, close-to-the-vest, quasi-politness thing.

And is anyone else finding it impossible to get any work done? For one of my classes, I read the wrong book, then when I realized my mistake, read the entire book for something we were only supposed to read a couple of chapters from (and it was the sort of book one did not want to read in its entirety).

This weekend, I found a response paper in my folder that I had forgotten to even pass in.

I suddenly can't spell.

I don't want to make eye contact with any professors, because I'm convinced they are all watching me and thinking about what to do with me and my application....

And is anyone else finding it impossible to get any work done? For one of my classes, I read the wrong book, then when I realized my mistake, read the entire book for something we were only supposed to read a couple of chapters from (and it was the sort of book one did not want to read in its entirety).

This weekend, I found a response paper in my folder that I had forgotten to even pass in.

I suddenly can't spell.

I don't want to make eye contact with any professors, because I'm convinced they are all watching me and thinking about what to do with me and my application....

That's why I took a year-long break to do something else other than school. I had enough on my mind senior year, writing my thesis and whatnot, and didn't want to add any undue stress during that time. It also gave me time to think about what I want to do, but considering the results so far, I may have to delay that. But a roadblock here and there shouldn't detour me completely. Good luck is all I can say.

I suddenly can't spell.

Haha, I've actually become frighteningly efficient. I had the bright idea of taking three seminars and a linguistics class along with my senior thesis this semester on the genius idea that the extra work, especially reading, with professors I know fairly well (like I have all three rec. letter writers this semester) would keep my nerves down. Instead, I've got half my thesis written, with most of reseach, both primary and secondary, done, and good chunks of two of my three seminar papers. I'm even ahead on my reading, like two weeks ahead. So, instead of having alot of work to keep my nerves down, I have time to worry and fret

"I suddently can't spell."

That's so interesting because I swear since this process began there have been moments where I cannot speak grammatically-correct English. Since December I've caught myself saying things like "brang" instead of "brought" and "readed" instead of "read."

What is going on?! I've just concluded that my slip-ups are the little manifestions of my inner angst, caused by all of this grad school-related stress.

Yeah. I'm really praying for good news this week. I've really felt the despair this past weekend, and I talked to my advisor about it. He's still adamant that I will be accepted somewhere, and he is going to Columbia this week to give a lecture. Maybe he can give them a nudge?

I kid.

Haha, I've actually become frighteningly efficient. I had the bright idea of taking three seminars and a linguistics class along with my senior thesis this semester on the genius idea that the extra work, especially reading, with professors I know fairly well (like I have all three rec. letter writers this semester) would keep my nerves down. Instead, I've got half my thesis written, with most of reseach, both primary and secondary, done, and good chunks of two of my three seminar papers. I'm even ahead on my reading, like two weeks ahead. So, instead of having alot of work to keep my nerves down, I have time to worry and fret

That is quite impressive. I was going the route of keeping my last semester easy, since I'll likely have to prepare to move. But this means I am in one massive lecture class that even has a lot of undergrads, so I feel like I have no work at all.

I AM supposed to be working on revising an essay for possible publication, but since that essay is also my writing sample, I can't stand to look at that thing right now.

I got my official rejection from Northwestern this morning. I was very upset for the better part of the day. But now I have taken it in and re-grouped. The pity party is over! Time to look forward and move on!

Did you hear by email or through the website?

That's a bummer--sorry!

Have any of you heard of "carpe diem"? Live it.

I am actually enjoying all the "peace" and "quiet" for the past week and half. As long as things are quiet, I can focus on living in the present and being happy. I love my German class. I love working on my Yiddish readings. I'm excited to be working on my MA thesis. Snow's on the ground making my town look pretty. Yes, I've pretty much avoided all the professors in my department except for the Yiddish one but even so, they keep it all present. That's easy as I don't have seminars this semester. My advisor, yes, she has absolutely no clue, is keeping me focused on my thesis as she's saying that I'm in the homestretch.

Ask your friends to give you a good slap in the face. I asked my roommate two weeks ago when I didn't hear anything from Emory but she refused. So I slapped myself and said, "Nothing's official until I get a piece of paper. Decisions WILL come when they come!"

Just got an e-mail from Johns Hopkins that I was wait listed.

That doesn't bode well for the rest of my applications, since I thought JHU was the best fit, but who can say. I keep thinking back to what my brother was going through last year when he was a high school senior waiting for a Div. I baseball program to offer him a scholarship. He only got low-division I offers until February when a top 50 program came calling. Never expected it. Guess you just never know.

Oh well! JHU is a nice place and the faculty and grad students I met there were top-notch. Best of luck to everyone else!

After sending my potential adviser an e-mail thanking him for his help, he replied that he is still holding on to hope that I will be admitted off the wait list. This is encouraging.

Edited by jmhc

I have been religiously checking my application statuses (to the point where it may be affecting my mental health, lol). I applied to Penn State, and today (after a month or so) I saw this new posting. "As of February 16, 2010, please contact the graduate program to which you are applying to determine the status of your application." I didn't have a chance to call or e-mail before I got the message, and I wanted to see what you gradcafe experts thought it might mean. I haven't been contacted for an interview or a recruitment day (like some of the other applicants I saw on this site). Could it mean that they are still reviewing my application (but it makes me wonder why they would change the app status of this today) OR could it be a nice way of telling me I was rejected or waitlisted. But if I was rejected, wouldn't they just come out and say it on the application status instead of asking me to contact the department?

Sorry to ask. I'm to the desperation point, and will read into anything that might be a "sign."

I have been religiously checking my application statuses (to the point where it may be affecting my mental health, lol). I applied to Penn State, and today (after a month or so) I saw this new posting. "As of February 16, 2010, please contact the graduate program to which you are applying to determine the status of your application." I didn't have a chance to call or e-mail before I got the message, and I wanted to see what you gradcafe experts thought it might mean. I haven't been contacted for an interview or a recruitment day (like some of the other applicants I saw on this site). Could it mean that they are still reviewing my application (but it makes me wonder why they would change the app status of this today) OR could it be a nice way of telling me I was rejected or waitlisted. But if I was rejected, wouldn't they just come out and say it on the application status instead of asking me to contact the department?

Sorry to ask. I'm to the desperation point, and will read into anything that might be a "sign."

It could mean a variety of things. The person that updates their application statuses has been fired, or is incapacitated. They've received so many applicants, it would be more efficient to have the applicants contact the school. I don't think it means you've been rejected or waitlisted. Give them a call regardless.

If any of you are applying to programs where you currently attend, how do you handle seeing professors who you know are reviewing your application? I have someone who wants me to stop by to discuss a paper from last semester, but I'm terrified of doing or saying the wrong thing at this point. It's not someone from my own department, so I don't have to see this person regularly, but I don't know if asking me to stop by was a good thing? Or a way to tell me nicely in person it's a no? This talking to people/not talking to people issue is really getting old...I'm naturally a very talkative and friendly person!

If any of you are applying to programs where you currently attend, how do you handle seeing professors who you know are reviewing your application? I have someone who wants me to stop by to discuss a paper from last semester, but I'm terrified of doing or saying the wrong thing at this point. It's not someone from my own department, so I don't have to see this person regularly, but I don't know if asking me to stop by was a good thing? Or a way to tell me nicely in person it's a no? This talking to people/not talking to people issue is really getting old...I'm naturally a very talkative and friendly person!

If you have a good relationship with your professors in class, just focus on your work for class. Try to keep the application separate. Just be yourself. For me, I haven't even really thought about the fact that I'm seeing the people who are reviewing my application. To me, the admissions committee is a shadowy, faceless entity. My professors are the people I know in class.

Also, I think it can only be a good sign if someone wants to talk to you about a paper from last semester.

Did anyone else admitted to Wisconsin receive a not-so-helpful packet in the mail?

There was an itinerary for the visiting weekend and a form asking us to say if we planned on attending the program or not, but it does not seem like they are even finished determining funding, so the timing is kind of strange.

I'm starting to feel a little frustrated with the way they do things because I have a pretty good fit there. I would rather wait to get accepted until they had a reasonable idea about funding rather than wait an extra month and a half or something to find out, especially when everything they send in the mail is not very helpful at all.

Did anyone else admitted to Wisconsin receive a not-so-helpful packet in the mail?

There was an itinerary for the visiting weekend and a form asking us to say if we planned on attending the program or not, but it does n

ot seem like they are even finished determining funding, so the timing is kind of strange.

I'm starting to feel a little frustrated with the way they do things because I have a pretty good fit there. I would rather wait to get accepted until they had a reasonable idea about funding rather than wait an extra month and a half or something to find out, especially when everything they send in the mail is not very helpful at all.

Just GO! If you don't respond, it doesn't look good on your part- it makes it look like you don't even want to go there, or as you said above, a snob for saying "I'm not going unless I get my 5 year funding package and you guys are perfect for me."

C'mon, you're a grad student and you know... we like free trips! Free stays! Free food! Free drinks! My friend who was on these boards last year didn't even hear from UVA regarding her funding package and got accepted at another school even though both weren't her top choices, she went. She said, "well, it's a free trip and an opportunity to network with other professors, so I'm going to go. It benefits me more than them."

There was an itinerary for the visiting weekend and a form asking us to say if we planned on attending the program or not, but it does not seem like they are even finished determining funding, so the timing is kind of strange.

I got that too. The part that made me really nervous was under the Travel Funding section, which said something like "we can only offer travel funding to those who were offered fellowships. you should be hearing from us shortly about that, if you haven't already." Does that mean they've already notified some folks about fellowships?

Just GO! If you don't respond, it doesn't look good on your part- it makes it look like you don't even want to go there, or as you said above, a snob for saying "I'm not going unless I get my 5 year funding package and you guys are perfect for me."

C'mon, you're a grad student and you know... we like free trips! Free stays! Free food! Free drinks! My friend who was on these boards last year didn't even hear from UVA regarding her funding package and got accepted at another school even though both weren't her top choices, she went. She said, "well, it's a free trip and an opportunity to network with other professors, so I'm going to go. It benefits me more than them."

That's the thing, though. The trip is not free if you are not funded, and the response form was actually if you were ATTENDING the school. Kind of strange to send those out before the funding situation is clarified.

I got that too. The part that made me really nervous was under the Travel Funding section, which said something like "we can only offer travel funding to those who were offered fellowships. you should be hearing from us shortly about that, if you haven't already." Does that mean they've already notified some folks about fellowships?

Exactly what freaked me out. When the envelope came, I was so excited to think that it would have some sort of financial information. When I contacted the grad student person a few days ago, she said funding decisions would be made in the next two weeks. There are several Wisconsin admits on here, so I imagine that if fellowships start going out, someone might hear something.

Wisconsin seems to fund in part based on test scores, and that is one thing I've really got going for me, so I'm hoping for the best.